Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

They do have Daydreaming on there, so perhaps it's just a matter of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mierenneuker posted:

They do have Daydreaming on there, so perhaps it's just a matter of time.

Burn the Witch is also on there, is there a third song I'm not aware of?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Burn the Witch is also on there, is there a third song I'm not aware of?

The album came out on Sunday.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It's just strange to me, like is the business model of Tidal / Apple Music that much better?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah they said it's coming at some point. I guess this is the Life of Pablo type deal where you put it on "Your" service initially so everyone pirates it, and then eventually it arrives on Spotify by which time people are sick of it.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Blast Fantasto posted:

It's just strange to me, like is the business model of Tidal / Apple Music that much better?

Tidal generally pays artists an additional 5%, which can be substantial for a band of Radiohead's size. Apple Music can pay for sweetheart deals and also funnels to the iTMS, which tremendously benefits an album band like Radiohead. Also, Nigel Godrich and Thom Yorke have both said really nasty things about Spotify, so I'm sure there's some principled opposition as well.

Fans are lining up to pay $80 for special edition vinyl collections--people who still care about Radiohead generally are looking for opportunities to give them money.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Modern Leper posted:

The album came out on Sunday.

Ah, well... nevermind then.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Blast Fantasto posted:

Yes

The Spotify freemium model is honestly the reason why so many artists hate Spotify because they barely get paid anything at all from it.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yes

The Spotify freemium model is honestly the reason why so many artists hate Spotify because they barely get paid anything at all from it.

I remember reading that this is mostly because of bad contracts they have with their record companies where most of online streaming revenue goes to the company. Anyone know if this is correct or not?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Spotify makes their ads almost insufferable enough for me to consider premium.

"What song do you like, based on 2.3 seconds of it playing?"

<generic dance music plays>

"Hey, I like this one. Yeah!"

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Spikes32 posted:

I remember reading that this is mostly because of bad contracts they have with their record companies where most of online streaming revenue goes to the company. Anyone know if this is correct or not?

The thing is, Spotify's free tier generally generates less money than it's premium tier, no matter where that money then goes. Tidal and Apple Music don't have a free tier, which is why on average a stream on those services will pay out more (again, not considering where that money goes).
Since I prefer Spotify as a service over Tidal and Apple Music, I personally would love for them to get rid of their free tier, so that all those headaches disappear.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 9, 2016

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Spikes32 posted:

I've heard this too and frankly would be surprised if this wasn't the case.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Domino Dancing is (more) right. Everyone hates Spotify because they pay less, regardless of who gets it. Some artists blame Spotify because their contracts didn't/couldn't properly contemplate royalties from streaming services, but that's a different thing.

Big artists stan for Tidal because they've negotiated a bigger cut of a bigger pie. Other artists grumble about Spotify, but wouldn't see enough of an upside to justify promoting an alternative that's less convenient/more expensive for their fans.

Edit: This is the promise of Apple Music, in a way. They're willing to invest in satisfying the "cool" artists/labels more than an Amazon or a Google, but don't need to make up the money in subscriptions like Tidal does. Things like agreeing to pay royalties during their free trial, I imagine, may help them as the battle starts to heat up.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 9, 2016

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Nothing surprises me about Radiohead not being on Spotify. I'm surprised if the new album is on the other streaming services.

I mean, of course....the new album is on MY Spotify with my system I posted, so I don't care :D

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
it's on apple music. apparently thom yorke has ranted about spotify in the past go figure.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
My Discover Weekly has included the song Dirty Laundry by Don Henley for three consecutive weeks now. When will the madness end?

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
As soon as you clean your loving clothes, I'd guess.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm trying to swap to Apple Music but I can't find a good way to port over my Spotify starred playlist; you guys have any idea? It's like 3k songs

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Spotify removes Desktop Notifications (Bell Icon) and Activity Feed

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web/Removal-of-desktop-notifications/td-p/1343904

:psyboom:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Abu Dave posted:

I'm trying to swap to Apple Music but I can't find a good way to port over my Spotify starred playlist; you guys have any idea? It's like 3k songs

I did the recently... it's a huge pain in the rear end. iTunes is incredibly clunky as you may know so it's best to automate as much as possible. There are a couple of free utilities that claim to do this but they didnt work at all for me. I shelled something like $7 for a non-free program called "MovetoAppleMusic" (http://movetoapple.com/). It worked OK. It's still a pretty involved process.

Beware it will fail to match a lot of songs that are available in both libraries even ones that are titled the same and you'll have to either correct them yourselves through their UI (which makes it a lot easier to do batches of songs than iTunes at least but stil time-consuming) and in some cases it thought it had a match but once I imported the playlist into iTunes I had to delete and re-add the song even though it existed in Apple Music before it would actually play and sync to other devices.

The last stumbling point is that on a playlist with lots of "Explicit" songs there's a 50/50 chance that it will grab the clean version when creating the Apple Music version of the playlist.

All-in-all it was worth the $7. I have moved and repaired all my main playlists now (probably 1000 songs total) and it successfully did about 75% of the work.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Its amazing how Spotify seems to actively works to make its product worse. Sometimes it does something cool like Discover Weekly but mostly its one step forward, four steps back. And yet they are still better than the competition, so i still see no reason to switch.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

I thought I was just missing something obviously when I tried to find my notifications a few days ago. This sucks. I really hope they add some sort of subscription page or something to make up for it.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I clicked on a mobile notification today and it led to a blank screen. So much for that...

quote:

And yet they are still better than the competition, so i still see no reason to switch.

This is also true.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
if spotify still thinks they can win the game by adding (or removing :confused:) features then theyre pretty much done for.

they had the entire streaming market more or less locked down then rested on laurels while tidal and apple came in and made it about exclusives :jerkbag:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for the help thathonkey

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Charlie Mopps posted:

Its amazing how Spotify seems to actively works to make its product worse. Sometimes it does something cool like Discover Weekly but mostly its one step forward, four steps back. And yet they are still better than the competition, so i still see no reason to switch.

I agree with you 100%. I can't get over how they remove features all the time, like the time they removed the ability to search in playlists. Bizarre.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Red_Fred posted:

I like the time they removed the ability to search in playlists. Bizarre.

To be fair I think that was when they released their new client and hadn't added everything back in yet

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Good, they never worked properly for me anyway.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I can live with the removal if they actually improve notifications so they (A) actually notify you of every new release by an artist you follow instead of occasionally telling you, and (B) notify you of every individual release instead of "release X by artist Y is now available as well as two new other things, have fun finding out which!".

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

101 posted:

To be fair I think that was when they released their new client and hadn't added everything back in yet

That's a pretty terrible defense.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Update from Spotify:

Version 1.0.28.88.f39fhsb: The desktop client will no longer feature music. The desktop client is being improved to focus on delivering video content to users. Each video will simply be an unskippable 40 second long pre-roll ad. We look forward to bringing this update to our users.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Spotify is dropping the family plan price to $14.99 for up to 6 people.

Has anyone done account splitting? I've never used a streaming service enough to justify $120 a year, but $30 a year would be quite compelling if I could round up 5 friends.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

BeastOfExmoor posted:

[url= is dropping the family plan price to $14.99 for up to 6 people.[/url]

Has anyone done account splitting? I've never used a streaming service enough to justify $120 a year, but $30 a year would be quite compelling if I could round up 5 friends.

quote:

The new family plan is rolling out globally today — except if you live in Canada.

Well... I'm not surprised.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
How hard is their physical address check?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Tayter Swift posted:

what do you mean?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Tayter Swift posted:

I'd need a non Canadian credit card.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

thathonkey posted:

what do you mean?

Their ToS states that all members on the family plan need to be at the same physical address. Are they checking by IP or something or is it an honor system?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
That seems like it would be impossible to enforce without severely limiting their existing service

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

thathonkey posted:

That seems like it would be impossible to enforce without severely limiting their existing service

Oh now don't give them any more ideas, as we've seen they're quite into limiting their existing service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I just updated the desktop app this week and now my search feature barely functions. Is this more a problem with the desktop app or with my playlists?

• Locked thread