Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Well i guess they added ads in the spotify desktop app now. When you go to an artist's page you get offers to buy albums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Charlie Mopps posted:

Well i guess they added ads in the spotify desktop app now. When you go to an artist's page you get offers to buy albums.

Even for paying customers? One reason still more to not update from my pre-1.0 build.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I don't now if it shows up for premium customers (it probably does), but here's a screenshot taken after I clicked on one of the icons.

It links to an external store/site, which I imagine is different for every artist. It's not just albums, it'll also show shirts and other merch. Not that big of a deal.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

I don't now if it shows up for premium customers (it probably does), but here's a screenshot taken after I clicked on one of the icons.

It links to an external store/site, which I imagine is different for every artist. It's not just albums, it'll also show shirts and other merch. Not that big of a deal.

I'm on premium and the button shows up. I agree - not a big deal. It's simply a button on the artist page that says 'See Artist Store'. If I don't click it, nothing happens. I don't care that its there. This poo poo-show of an application has a lot more things to be frustrated with than the addition of a button.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

So I'm looking to finally jump on a steaming service and I'm not sure whether or not I go with this or Google play music. Feature wise they seem really comparable and I can tell if I'm hosing myself going with one over the other.

I'm mainly on Android if it matters, and would ideally like some sort of a genre/sub genre lookup with solid playlist generation so I can just throw poo poo on in the background while I work.

Is there a good pros/cons list for one of these over the other? Any big holes that I should be aware of?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Rick's Cleaners is my favorite steaming service.

Joking aside, I am currently trying a two month trial for Google Play (it was a PayPal promo a while back) and their catalogues are really similar. I tried to recreate a playlist with 60 different artists and it had everything outside of two songs (one did have a slightly different version instead). They are definite differences between the two, but I think neither is far worse than the other. Both have various methods of music discovery, but I'm not really capable of making a solid compatison between both services (I like Google's radio feature, but I have never bothered with Spotify's). A lot comes down to personal preference (and in my case I've been using Spotify so long that migrating would be a bitch).

Spotify can be used free (with advertising every 15 minutes, you can only shuffle playlists on mobile) and they frequently have deals. 0.99 cents for 3 months is apparently something they have for new users sometimes.

Google Play has no free membership, but there is a one month free trial. Perhaps there are more occasional two month deals, so you could try looking around.

So yeah, I'm going to take the easy way out and say you should try both of them.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 15, 2016

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Is it mainly just down to interface differences? It feels like they are super similarity and it's all seeming really nebulous...

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I've only tried the mobile app of Google Play and it might have less features, but on a whole it seems that Spotify has a stronger social aspect. Collaborative playlists, the ability to see someone's profile and their public playlists, sharing songs directly with other users, etcetera. You can also follow artists on Spotify and be notified of new releases (although the notifications are inconsistent and need improvement). I see no such thing on Google Play.

Google Play seems fine if you mainly use a radio function or want listen to a specific song/album. If you want to build big playlists with a huge variety of artists, then Spotify might be better.

Again, I've been using Spotify for years so I'm firmly entrenched with it. I'm not the most biased fellow on this subject.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 15, 2016

Weedle
May 31, 2006

w00tmonger posted:

Is it mainly just down to interface differences? It feels like they are super similarity and it's all seeming really nebulous...

Mostly, yeah. Their catalogs are virtually identical. I would start free trials of both and switch between them to see which you like better.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
If you're planning on streaming your own music files, Google Music is way better. That's usually kind of an outlier, though.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Seems they rolled out a new feature on the desktop app. Scrolling down to the bottom of a playlist will give you song suggestions with the option to refresh them.

It doesn't appear for all my playlists. I did create a temporary playlist just featuring a compilation album half a day ago and it has the feature active, so it's not just a matter of time.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 20, 2016

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

Seems they rolled out a new feature on the desktop app. Scrolling down to the bottom of a playlist will give you song suggestions with the option to refresh them.

It doesn't appear for all my playlists. I did create a temporary playlist just featuring a compilation album half a day ago and it has the feature active, so it's not just a matter of time.

They've been rolling it out to users over the last few weeks. So far it hasn't been as good for me as the Discover Weekly playlist but that's more due to the content of my playlists than anything else.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

RE: Google Play

I find Spotify is way stronger at finding random artists I discover who are not exactly popular. Then again this could merely be weird rear end restrictions of being in Canada using streaming services. It took Spotify forever but they finally did it. When I did the Play Music trial I had issues finding particular artists I enjoyed.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Does it seem like for anyone else that the shuffle algorithm seems to be improved? I shuffle through a huge playlist and I'm hearing a lot of tracks which I can't recall ever playing on it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I remember once reading that their shuffle function wasn't entirely random since it was biased/weighted against playing the same artist. It became like that since people complained that true random wasn't random enough (basically confirmation bias). In my own experience that doesn't seem to be the case these days since I recently had a 300+ song playlist with about 240 different artists (rough guess) and it managed to play multiple songs by a single artist from one album in close proximity.

Maybe I was the victim of confirmation bias there?

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 24, 2016

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Is there any hope that they add a "Jesus Christ, no, nothing like this ever" button to Discover playlists? I feel like "skip" doesn't send the same message.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

ALFbrot posted:

Is there any hope that they add a "Jesus Christ, no, nothing like this ever" button to Discover playlists? I feel like "skip" doesn't send the same message.

Quite a few people have requested it in the official Spotify forums, so hopefully!

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Eight Is Legend posted:

Quite a few people have requested it in the official Spotify forums, so hopefully!

So one day it will be there, and three months later it will be gone, like pretty much every feature ever. :negative:

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I have a playlist to which I add songs I like. I've only just seen this mysterious "Save to your music" function. What does it do? Should I be using it instead?

I looked it up on the Spotify documentation but I'm still a bit confused. "Your Music / Your Library is where you can find the songs, albums, artists, playlists, podcasts, and videos you've added." Tautological. What is this useful for?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

It's essentially a replacement for the old feature where you could "star" songs. The advantage is that it's easier to sort by artist and album. The disadvantage is that there is a 10.000 song limit.

It's pretty half-assed, making it a perfect fit for the desktop app!

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

What did "starring" do? Are you just adding the song to a list of stuff you like and putting it one place? If so, is that a smarter solution that my playlist method?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

You were able to star songs and it would automatically add to a list of starred songs with no song limit. It was essentially a straight-forward list of favorites.

The way you use Your Music is up to you. You could use it a selection of favorites, you could use it as "listen to this later" playlist. The main advantage over a regular playlist is that it's more convenient to sort by artist and album.

I don't use the feature, for a variety of personal reasons (90% I listen to is "new" music, no local files, I enjoy making playlists).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jul 23, 2016

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I still used my starred list.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Question: if I try and play one of the (many, many) songs I've got in my library, the spotify client sometimes seems to hang and not do anything. Is it doing something in the background - trying to download some music, or whatever - or is the spotify software known for just mellowing out and refuse to do anything on occasion?

Humphrey Appleby
Oct 30, 2013

Knowledge only means complicity in guilt; ignorance has a certain dignity.
Are you using Android? For the last couple months my Spotify client on Android has been really buggy and one of the things that happens is that it does not respond at all, even if the music is downloaded to the phone.

Generally though I'd assume it's really bad software. I've been using Spotify since it came to the US and their software has not improved in those few years.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I've also had some extremely bad experiences with the Android client in the last couple of months. Endless loading indicators when opening playlists or songs not starting for ages (even though they're marked as downloaded). And the strange thing is that it happens on Wifi, so it's most definitely not a connectivity issue.
I have been totally unable to find out if it's connected to some kind of specific user behavior. For a moment I thought it was a synchronization problem when I having Spotify opened on multiple devices, but the issue also appears when I most definitely only have it running on my phone.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
on the Tidal app for iPhone having shuffle on and starting a playlist from a specific track doesnt seem to maintain shuffle... it just plays the rest of the playlist in sequence. so far the only way i can find to actually shuffle a playlist is hitting the play button at the very top of the playlist heading area but then you can't choose a seed song. really sucks because i like to begin a playlist on a certain song usually then have it shufle from there... probably the main way I listen to music in the car which is when I use the iOS app.

anyone know a way around this or if a fix might be coming? it's really annoying. Tidal has actually come a long way though I am really impressed with their network, library, and desktop app

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I moved abroad to Europe (from the US) and after a while my Spotify told me it detected I was living in another country and asked me to verify my settings. That's fine. I logged in on the website and changed my residence to my new country and everything is good, except that now all of the suggested playlists come from Spotify [Country] instead of normal/US Spotify. It's kind of lovely because these playlists are poo poo and I liked seeing the recommended American based playlists. I can still see the US playlists and access them and they occasionally show up (like right now the "This is Drake" by Spotify playlist shows up on the front page) but 99% of the other playlists are from the foreign Spotify account.

Is there a way I can disable/blacklist all of these foreign suggested playlists and just stick with the American based ones? I'm not asking for a proxy or dns or anything. I just want better control over what playlists are suggested to me.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

A half-assed solution is to follow the appropriate Spotify profile and browse through the shitload of playlists they have once in a while: https://open.spotify.com/user/spotifyusa
Don't know if perhaps the friend feed notifies you of new playlists by people you follow, I never use it.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 5, 2016

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

So there's now a 'Release Radar' feature under 'Browse' which gives you a custom playlist of new releases, similar to Discover Weekly. I've been listening to it for a bit now and it's pretty on-point with stuff I normally listen to. And I find they don't announce all new releases so this helps uncover stuff I would have been ignorant of or otherwise forgot (or wish to forget like the laughable cover of Steppin' Razor by Blue Oyster Cult :wtc:)

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I agree that Release Radar is pretty cool, and if you think about it, a very "obvious" feature. At least I'm kinda wondering why it hasn't already been there fore years.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
There was a pretty good interview with someone behind Discover Weekly a while ago. Discover Weekly is based on a deep analysis of the universe of playlists that contain songs you already like/listen to. Apparently, it's REALLY difficult to apply any useful algorithm to a new release because a) you're dealing with a much smaller universe of music and b) there's no listening/streaming data to determine what's a "good" recommendation for someone's tastes.

Edit: Looks like Release Radar relies much more on the Echo Nest tech that Spotify bought a couple of years ago. Guess they did something with it after all.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 5, 2016

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I really like Discover Weekly, but I can't help but laugh when it goes "Hey, you've been listening to Pearl Jam, have you tried listening to Crown of Thorns by Mother Love Bone?"

Thanks, Spotify.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

LordPants posted:

I really like Discover Weekly, but I can't help but laugh when it goes "Hey, you've been listening to Pearl Jam, have you tried listening to Crown of Thorns by Mother Love Bone?"

Thanks, Spotify.

Recently it's gotten worse for me. I get picks from stuff literally in the big playlist I shuffle through, but just a track from a different album. Like a version I have is from an album and they'll pick the same song from a greatest hits album.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I have a weird problem with Spotify. Some album tracks have been replaced with live versions that I think are on my HD. Spotify's mixed them up or whatever. What do I do?

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

So they added a legitimate good new function, daily mix playlists:

quote:

Today we’re putting your personal music taste front and center with the launch of Daily Mix, a series of playlists with near endless playback that combines your favorite tracks with new songs we think you’ll love, minus the effort that goes into creating the perfect listening session.

With Daily Mix, you will tune into a mix of the music you know and love, made fresh in continuously updated playlists. Whether you’re in the mood for dancing to upbeat tunes or relaxing with mellow hits, just select your mix and enjoy your most loved familiar tracks with new music peppered in. You’re bound to rediscover some forgotten hits or even find a bunch of new favorites.

As your music taste evolves, so will your Daily Mix. In fact, the more you listen, the better your Mixes will become – offering an effortless music experience based entirely on your personal listening habits. Don’t like that new discovery? Simply “ban” a tune to remove it from future playlists. If you love it, be sure to “heart” the hit to add it to your collection.

With Daily Mix, we wanted to find a way to take the work out of playing and organizing daily listening. By offering consistently refreshed playlists of your favorite music with near-endless playback, you can hopefully spend less time maintaining playlists and more time enjoying the music that you love.

You’ll find your personal Daily Mix in Your Library in the latest version of Spotify on Android and iOS and is available globally to all existing users, both free and premium. New users will be able to access Daily Mix after approximately two weeks of listening. The new feature will roll out to additional platforms soon.

Get your fresh Mix today!

Its pretty cool, its a mix of songs i've added to my library and new songs, instead of only new things which the Discover Weekly playlist does.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ok so far the Daily Mix rules.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Last week I also noticed an option to create a copy of a playlist which actually generates a new playlist with suggestions based on the content.
Edit: It's called "create similar playlist". It doesn't work if you use if on playlists with a small number of songs.

With all these song suggestion options I'm barely listening to the music I already know. I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of the time I'm listening to something I hadn't heard before. Even in the days of P2P music downloading I could have never imagined having access to this much music. I've pretty much stopped listening to podcasts, it was getting in the way of my music way too much :v:

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 28, 2016

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Anyone else still waiting on the Daily Mix update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
Yeah, nothing for me on iOS so far.

• Locked thread