Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

slowdave posted:

I think 10 hours a month is enough for most casual listeners.

But 5 plays per track makes the free service totally useless. It's not time limited, you can play a track five times and then it's off limits forever. Spotify is practically a pay service now.

I guess all their ad revenue is gone now because nobody gets ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Dr. Glasscock posted:

So is there a time limit of how much you can stream on a free account?

Seems neat so far, search is REALLY fast. I don't get the name though at all.

For the first six months since registering, you will have no limits whatsoever.

After six months, you will have a limit of 10 hours per month and 5 plays per track. The 5 plays will never reset.

Superanos fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 14, 2011

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Monitor posted:

Hey, I just got to use this in the U.S. because Spotify e-mailed me and I'm wondering if the 20 hours of listening per month limitation is there? I really cannot find conclusive answers to this.
There are two kinds of free accounts on Spotify. You have Spotify Free which requires an invitation code.

You will have unlimited streaming for the first six months of use. After that you will get limited to 10 hours per month and 5 plays per track. The track limit will never reset so you are pretty much forced to pay for unlimited or premium at that point.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Yeah, if you're logged out of facebook and go to the sign up page, it will tell you that you need a facebook account to sign up. The latest update also put really annoying white "share on facebook" boxes in front of every track name. My account isn't even linked to facebook in any way.

Spotify needs some competitors now because I'm switching as soon as one appears somewhere.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

The Modern Leper posted:

There are, like, 5 of them already. Unless you're out of the United States (sorry for presuming).

I really like Spotify, but I'm literally gobsmacked at how they've managed to self-identify as groundbreaking when it comes to on-demand streaming.

Yes, I am outside the USA. This is why Spotify claims to be groundbreaking - all those drat services keep restricting themselves to Americans.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

After six months of using a free account, you will have to pay. You get a limit of 5 plays per track which makes the free account more or less useless. Paying for Unlimited or Premium will take away the limit.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

So I managed to create a Spotify account without Facebook through Spotify's partnership with Teliasonera (Finnish ISP and operator). Apparently it's possible to put a Spotify Premium subscription as part of your phone bill with Sonera. On Sonera's site I got the option to either create a new account or add the subscription to an existing account. Choosing to create a new account allowed me to pick an original username instead of a string of random numbers you get from registering with Facebook.

The account works like any other account created before mandatory Facebook integration. This means I finally got a Spotify account created for my parents who absolutely refuse to use Facebook.

Spotify has deals with Telia in Sweden and Virgin Media in the UK as well so it might be possible to create non-FB Spotify accounts through them.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

I also wish there were alternatives. Spotify requires Facebook from new users so the older members of my family and a few friends can't sign up. Rdio doesn't require Facebook, but it's not available here in Finland. We have Deezer, but it's Facebook only as well.

Rdio is planning on expanding. Please speed up, I want you here now. Many people I know are currently on Grooveshark, but that thing is about to go down from lawsuits.

Edit: With all this talk of other music services, would it be a good idea to have a music streaming service thread instead of a spotify thread?

Superanos fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 25, 2012

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Good news for Germany: Spotify allows German users to sign up without Facebook.

I'm hoping this increases sign-up rates so much they'll do that elsewhere as well. When I look at the German sign-up page, it only gives me a Facebook option so a German proxy is required.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

That is indeed the case, you can blame Sean Parker for that. He's a big investor in both Spotify and Facebook and he wants to tie your music up to your FB account so you can't ever leave FB.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Looked at the official Spotify customer support forum for a while. Apparently their moderators are actively deleting all posts that mention methods to sign up without Facebook. However, they've missed a few.

The best way is to register a new account using a German proxy. Full instructions here. You need a credit card to change the new Spotify account's country from Germany to yours, but after that it'll work like any account created before the Facebook requirement. No payment needed.

If you really need your playlists, you can disconnect a FB-made Spotify account by making a "device password" and logging into the desktop app using these credentials. Then, under Preferences, you have a button that says "Disconnect from Facebook". This is a bad option because your username is a string of random numbers and you will have to remember this.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Looks like you can sign up for Spotify again without going through Facebook. At the sign up page near the bottom there is a link to sign up using an email address. It lets you pick a Spotify username and password so you don't need to gently caress around with German proxies anymore if you don't want Facebook or you don't want to share everything on Facebook.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

They actually rewrote a lot of things entirely in this latest update (version 0.8.8). The new white artist pages are webpages displayed in a Chrome-based browser inside the Spotify client. The old artist pages were generated by the client and it was very fast at doing so. With the latest update, Spotify is becoming a web-based service like all its competitors and I don't know why the hell they're doing that.

If you want the old client back, you can stop the update by placing empty files called "spotify_new.exe" and "spotify_new.exe.sig" on the Spotify folder and making them read only. Then you can install any old client.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

A bunch of old client installers are here: http://www.filehorse.com/download-spotify/old-versions/

0.8.5.1356 is the version you probably want, it's the one before the artist page change. 0.6.1 is the oldest version that actually works - anything older will either crash or try to update before logging you in.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Go to preferences and uncheck "Hide unplayable tracks" to see the removed tracks. They will appear greyed out. It's stupid that they enable this option by default, it makes it hard to see if you have unplayable tracks on your playlists that may surprisingly come back at some point.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Spotify's new website really sucks. It's even worse because I have the web player activated so it kept giving me that poo poo. Took me a while to find this:
https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

1: Give Spotify feedback about something
2: Report broken songs

Give them Spotify URI of the broken track, which is spotify:track:letters and numbers. You get it by right clicking the track in the spotify client and choosing "Copy spotify URI"

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Audio ads are played after a certain amount of time has passed from the previous audio ad or from Spotify launch. Then, ads are triggered in these conditions:
- A track ends and it is not the last track on your queue.
- You click the "Next" button or use a media key for "Next".
- A Spotify App changes the track.

If you manually double click another song before your current one ends and never let Spotify automatically play something else, you will never hear an ad. Keep in mind that outside US there is a 2.5 hour per week limit so you are pretty much required to pay in those regions.

quote:

I stopped paying for Spotify because I was sick of their recent bullshit
I would stop paying for Spotify, but I'm one of those guys that downgraded to previous versions and I still love them. Spotify's idea of using a native program instead of being browser-based is the best idea they've had and it's the reason it is such a joy to use compared to any of their competitors. Later versions have started integrating the web player's webpages into the regular client for seemingly no reason, which makes performance worse. How did they ever think this would be a good idea?

Because Mac OS X 10.5 can't run later Spotify versions, they are required to keep version 0.8.5.1356 running, including on Windows. This version is before most of the lovely changes, including playlist time and web-based artist pages and search results.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

You can access both screens through the search bar regardless of feature rollout status.

Type spotify:app:home on the search bar and then press enter to get to What's New. For Discover, it's spotify:app:discover.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

They've announced that last December. They have been "working on it" ever since. You'll probably have to wait another year for it.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

You can't choose where Spotify is installed - the Windows version is always in C:\Users\(Windows Username)\AppData\Roaming\Spotify. All users have rights to their Appdata folder, which is probably why Spotify chose this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

It's on the Windows and Mac versions, but they're doing their usual dumb "rollout" thing where some users get it before others.

• Locked thread