Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Boomerjinks you are I ironically my hero, never stop :allears:

Got my shipping confirmation for the board game the other day :dance:

Surprised there isn't more hysteria in this thread about the :frogsiren: LEGO Firehouse confirmation announcement :frogsiren:

THAT'S BECAUSE I CAN'T AFFORD IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Scroto Baggins posted:

THAT'S BECAUSE I CAN'T AFFORD IT.

I was just going to say that it's most likely because it's 400 loving DOLLARS.

Really wish I could, I know my son would love it once he grows up and can appreciate it, but drat, no way I could do that right now, and who knows how long it'll be available for? I'm glad I picked up the Ecto-1, though.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
So did this ever get talked about? Cause I just managed to find the thing, and thought it was a pretty good explanation as to why the sequel always felt weird.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I kind of disagree with it.
You can parse the Ghostbusters into two acts of magic (ghosts existing, someone invents a thing to fight them) maybe more. Looper was a pretty popular and highly praised movie from what I remember. And a lot of people do not like Pacific Rim but enough do (and really, if we're counting aliens invading and making something to counter them as multiple Acts of Magic, how does Ghostbusters faire any better?) that I kind of think this "principle" is kind of bullshit.
Hell, Star Wars is space travel, aliens, AND magic being real at the same time.
Then we have poo poo like Naked Lunch, or David Lynch's entire filmography
There might be some kind of good idea buried in this "DMJ" idea, the made up flights of fancy he had would probably be bad movies. And Vigo and River of Slime being distinct elements clashing is kind of annoying. But as it is, it couldn't even make it as a TV Tropes page. Even if there is truth, I don't think that it's the whole reason why Ghostbusters II falls flat for people.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

GB2 has a few problems:

-Focuses a bit too much on Peter and Dana, nothing new was brought to the table telling their story a second time.
-they should of had less paranormal sightings between movies, not everyone magically forgets. It would of been a more organic way of bringing everyone together.
-Not following up with all the ideas in the movie. My sister pointed out there is some weird commentary on the over saturation of IPs for kids in the movie that never gets fully developed but would of been interesting to explore because in this world the Ghostbusters had been forgotten.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Worst thing is it's just a retreat of the formula of the first one.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Yeah, they just make everyone "forget"/disbelieve the first movie's events to lampshade the fact that they're largely remaking it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Artist and producer Michael C. Gross has died. :(

Among other things, he designed what is easily the most iconic part of the entire franchise, if not one of the most recognisable logos on the planet.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Acne Rain posted:

I kind of disagree with it.
You can parse the Ghostbusters into two acts of magic (ghosts existing, someone invents a thing to fight them) maybe more. Looper was a pretty popular and highly praised movie from what I remember. And a lot of people do not like Pacific Rim but enough do (and really, if we're counting aliens invading and making something to counter them as multiple Acts of Magic, how does Ghostbusters faire any better?) that I kind of think this "principle" is kind of bullshit.
Hell, Star Wars is space travel, aliens, AND magic being real at the same time.
Then we have poo poo like Naked Lunch, or David Lynch's entire filmography
There might be some kind of good idea buried in this "DMJ" idea, the made up flights of fancy he had would probably be bad movies. And Vigo and River of Slime being distinct elements clashing is kind of annoying. But as it is, it couldn't even make it as a TV Tropes page. Even if there is truth, I don't think that it's the whole reason why Ghostbusters II falls flat for people.

Yeah, that principle has been shown to be nonsense over and over again. There are tons of great, well regarded movies that have more than one absurd thing you need to accept before moving on. Those two are especially weird examples.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
My Ghostbusters Board Game from Kickstarter has finally arrived :dance:

I'm stuck at work gazing longingly at the 'delivered' status on my phone :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

My Ghostbusters Board Game from Kickstarter has finally arrived :dance:

I'm stuck at work gazing longingly at the 'delivered' status on my phone :negative:

Please post pictures when you can, the game looks incredible.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

WeX Majors posted:

So did this ever get talked about? Cause I just managed to find the thing, and thought it was a pretty good explanation as to why the sequel always felt weird.

Yeah, it's bad and stupid. Case in point: Star Wars, which by the second movie had a magic extraterrestrial muppet giving life advice.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Artist and producer Michael C. Gross has died. :(

Among other things, he designed what is easily the most iconic part of the entire franchise, if not one of the most recognisable logos on the planet.

I will never understand why so many people reproduce that logo with a weird clockwise tilt.

WTF? Seriously, why do people do this?

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax

Snowman_McK posted:

Yeah, that principle has been shown to be nonsense over and over again. There are tons of great, well regarded movies that have more than one absurd thing you need to accept before moving on. Those two are especially weird examples.
I think it works, you just have to apply it to what triggers your movie's events. In Star Wars, the existence of aliens and spaceships are treated as the normal baseline, easily interchangeable with samurai, medieval times, ect. But the plot derives from Darth Vader manipulating a war through evil magic, and Luke discovering the pure version of that same magic. "Magic exists" causes both the problem and its solution. (Though you could argue that the Death Star's existence is a major plot point that has nothing to do with the Force.)
Also, obviously it's a rule that applies more to popcorn fare than David Lynch. I think it's getting bad as movies these days rely less on simple conceptual elevator pitchs, and more on excessive world-building. Iron Man works perfectly well as a movie about a genius inventing amazing tech (and the IM movies do a good job of making their villains be the direct results of Stark's sins), but that conceit is not improved at all by Norse gods being real.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snowman_McK posted:

There are tons of great, well regarded movies that have more than one absurd thing you need to accept before moving on.

Ramis called it the "domino theory of reality," in which stuff gradually gets more weird until you have a hundred-foot-tall marshmallow man and you can just roll with it.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Badly taken teaser image:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's definitely easier to write a good movie where everything is normal except for This One Thing, and have the weirdness rooted in that.

On the other hand you have Godzilla movies where some of the monsters are radioactive dinosaurs and others are aliens and super advanced fighting robots built by the military and others are ancient demigods so sometimes variety works.

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's definitely easier to write a good movie where everything is normal except for This One Thing, and have the weirdness rooted in that.

On the other hand you have

Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Mattycollector Ectogoggles are only $55 at the moment.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Do they ship to the UK yet? I remember the trap didn't :negative:

I will add pictures of the board game tonight for those interested, playing for the first time on Friday night.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Do they ship to the UK yet? I remember the trap didn't :negative:

I will add pictures of the board game tonight for those interested, playing for the first time on Friday night.

Yes, but it's $35, and you might have to pay duty too.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The_Doctor posted:

The_Doctor posted:

Thanks for the info, I will have to see if it's still on sale when I get paid next weekend.

As Rupert Buttermilk requested:

Extra order: Glow In The Dark Spectral Ghostbusters on game board tiles:

Bonus pic: Walter Peck and 'Hard Mode' Stay Puft

Apologies for the lovely iPhone pics!

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
The Ecto-1 cutout is based off of that drat Joyride model. Come on, licensees.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

GodDAMN I want to play that. I'd even settle for official Tabletop Simulator DLC of it. :allears:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I passed on the Kickstarter cause I don't really like the company's track record. I'm curious as to how it plays.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I've got it at my friend's in the US waiting to pick it up, but according to people on BoardGameGeek, you spend a lot of time cleaning eachother's jumpsuits of slime. (Damage point are marked as slime)

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Played it for the first time last night with friends, did the Slimer and Idulnas scenarios. Both were fun but yeah you get your rear end kicked by slime, need to be big on team coordination and learn how to play to each Ghostbuster's strengths regarding their team role. I imagine there are stronger teams than others, we went for the classic line up.

Pics:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Goddamn, I wanna play that, I'd even settle for a Tabletop Simulator mod.

Anyway, this just occurred to me: Egon's one of the weirdest first names I've ever heard (apparently it's polish, according to Ivan Reitman, who named him after a classmate in Slovakia or somewhere), and yet 'Spengler' is the only last name out of the four guys that I've ever heard in real life.

Something else that occurred to me just now while watching the film again... After Peter leaves Dana's apartment, it feels as if their Chinese food meal ("To our first and only customer") is the same night. Except it can't be. Dana walks into the firehall, Ray's still working on a beat-up, unpainted Ecto-1. Of course, during their meal, they get the hotel call, and drive out in a fully restored car. Kind of weird how it feels like the same day, but had to have been at least 1-2 weeks later.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Played it for the first time last night with friends, did the Slimer and Idulnas scenarios. Both were fun but yeah you get your rear end kicked by slime, need to be big on team coordination and learn how to play to each Ghostbuster's strengths regarding their team role. I imagine there are stronger teams than others, we went for the classic line up.

Pics:

I wish I had friends who lived nearby to play that with. Friends who would read the rules and then explain them to me as we played so I didn't need to read anything. Friends at all.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Scroto Baggins posted:

I wish I had friends who lived nearby to play that with. Friends who would read the rules and then explain them to me as we played so I didn't need to read anything. Friends at all.

Hey, I'm serious about playing this with goons if it comes to Tabletop Simulator, official or otherwise.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'm kind of annoyed my game finally shipped yesterday from the Kickstarter, when I've seen it in shops several places.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
I'm still waiting on my shipping notice as well.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

This is really the sequels' worst offense. It just feels like they took the structure of the first film replaced a few things, and said well I guess that's good enough. Winston straight disappears after the opening scene until about the moment he otherwise would have been introduced in the first film. I find it very jarring the volume of pacing/story retread they did in it.

I actually think the chemistry isn't nearly as good as the first one, Murray seems literally bored by the entire thing, and Moranis has even less to do, while Potts feels like she's playing more annoying Janine instead of the character from the first film. It felt like they didn't really want to be there and I think it shows in all their performances

Really don't think it's problem is the DMJ one that article mentions.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Notorious ZSB posted:

It felt like they didn't really want to be there

They really, really didn't. The only person who had any interest in making a sequel was Aykroyd.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What on earth does DMJ mean?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

What on earth does DMJ mean?

Double Mumbo Jumbo. It's when two major things occur in a story that the protagonists have to deal with, but set up so that they seem equally as important . For this example, it's the Ghostbusters dealing with Vigo AND the slime.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Double Mumbo Jumbo. It's when two major things occur in a story that the protagonists have to deal with, but set up so that they seem equally as important . For this example, it's the Ghostbusters dealing with Vigo AND the slime.

Just to clarify, it's more specifically when the audience is asked to suspend their disbelief multiple times.

http://www.savethecat.com/todays-blog/double-mumbo-jumbo-muddle posted:

I propose that as an audience we can only buy one piece of magic per movie. You cannot have aliens land and then be bitten by vampires and become both alien and undead. Not fair. That to me is a “cheat” in writing and disses viewers. I call it Double Mumbo Jumbo.

I don't think Vigo and the Slime are really the best example. A better example might be that if the Ghostbusters were dealing with Vigo the entire movie, only for it to be revealed that the ghosts were being caused by an alien invasion. The audience can buy into spirits and ghosts, but then you crossed the line into sci-fi territory, it puts too much strain on their suspension.

I'm not sure I totally buy into DMJ, because it seems really subjective as to what counts as "magic." The site I linked to about cited Spider-man as an example, because he couldn't buy two unrelated instances of the hero and villain getting their powers. However, I'd see the "magic" as living in a world where such a thing was possible, not the literal act of getting powers. You could argue that ghosts and aliens make sense, as they're both "supernatural," but then argue that they cause conflict in a genre sense.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Scroto Baggins posted:

I'm not sure I totally buy into DMJ, because it seems really subjective as to what counts as "magic." The site I linked to about cited Spider-man as an example, because he couldn't buy two unrelated instances of the hero and villain getting their powers. However, I'd see the "magic" as living in a world where such a thing was possible, not the literal act of getting powers. You could argue that ghosts and aliens make sense, as they're both "supernatural," but then argue that they cause conflict in a genre sense.

Yeah I agree with this. If I've already bought into the idea that fantastical weird poo poo can happen, having two different kinds of weird poo poo isn't a massive leap.

Star Wars has space stuff and magic stuff.

E: Unless it breaks the rules of the already established universe of course.

stev fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 6, 2015

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax

Scroto Baggins posted:

Just to clarify, it's more specifically when the audience is asked to suspend their disbelief multiple times.

I don't think Vigo and the Slime are really the best example. A better example might be that if the Ghostbusters were dealing with Vigo the entire movie, only for it to be revealed that the ghosts were being caused by an alien invasion. The audience can buy into spirits and ghosts, but then you crossed the line into sci-fi territory, it puts too much strain on their suspension.

It doesn't necessarily have to be something supernatural, just any extraordinary event or "what if?" that starts the chain reaction of the film's plot. Unless it's organically a result of A, don't waste too much time on B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Star Wars has space stuff and magic stuff.

I absolutely get what you're saying, but I actually don't take the 'space stuff' as mumbo-jumbo. I feel like, especially when the films came out, a space-themed movie is so well-accepted by society and moviegoers that it gets a free pass automatically. Therefore, you can add something in like the Force, and that would be the ONLY weird thing involved. Huge planet-sized space station called the Death Star? Yeah, it could happen sometime in the future (yes, we all know Star Wars is in the past). Legions and legions of smaller spacecraft flying around doing battle like fighter jets? Makes perfect sense, because that's sort of how everyone expects or expected space to be like eventually. An invisible force that is almost literally like magic? Ooooh, there's something new!

At least that's how I see it. With GB2, if it was them vs Vigo, there'd have to be a major reworking of the existing plot so that Vigo does more stuff, but as it stands, and as the article points out (I think), there really should have been a stronger connection between this surge of slime underneath the city, and a painting that, just out of nowhere, becomes haunted and wants to rule the world. Ray somewhat casually asks Egon about it, and Egon replying with a joke is a frail bridge between the two things, even considering that the photos they develop show the river of slime under Vigo's head.

The terror dog yelling Zuul, Peter meeting with Dana outside of her rehearsal, and Egon explaining everything while in jail work perfectly to get the audience on board. Vigo and the Slime (band name right there, people) are kind of just 'meh, here are some bad things that the guys have to stop.'

• Locked thread