Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

MisterBibs posted:

They need it to fail to provide evidence that their worldview is correct. The MRAs, the sexists, the nostalgists, the worst situation for them is for this movie to do even remotely well. If the movie does well it's a one-two-three punch of "Not only do we not care about you, we don't care about your opinions on Ghostbusters, and now we have evidence that we don't have to anymore" to those people.

Sorry for repeating the analogy, but it's like when Fallout 3 rolled in and outsold all previous Fallout games combined. It instantly and permanently redefined what the property was, as well as who it's fans were.

MisterBibs you are... horribly wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kevyn posted:

And it's probably remembered more fondly than most sequels.

That's a rather low bar to hurdle.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MisterBibs posted:

I survived Green Lantern being a failure. :)

Besides, if the movie fails, the lesson isn't that this Ghostbusters was bad. The lesson is that Ghostbusters as a property was a property that worked precisely once. Instead of a diehard fanbase that loved a series where only half the movies were successful, they'll be a fanbase of a series where only a third of the movies were successful.

lol @ people so entrenched in defending this transparent cash grab attempt that they'd rather invent a false narrative about the original films and their fans being failures, than accept the remake may not be so great after all.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

steinrokkan posted:

lol @ people so entrenched in defending this transparent cash grab attempt that they'd rather invent a false narrative about the original films and their fans being failures, than accept the remake may not be so great after all.

I'm genuinely optimistic for the movie because I'm a fan of just about everything Feig has made in his career, but lol @ you thinking that 95 percent of movies aren't cash grabs.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Timby posted:

I'm genuinely optimistic for the movie because I'm a fan of just about everything Feig has made in his career, but lol @ you thinking that 95 percent of movies aren't cash grabs.

of course they are, and you won't seeing me spending any time defending their honor

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

quote:

Ghostbusters: hysterical women just need a good deep-dicking.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
right now any given discussion of ghostbusters is only slightly less hysterical and full of trolls or people so deluded and loud they might as well be trols, than any given current poltical discussion.

the only difference is that islamaphobia is not involved in the discussion of ghostbusters.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

You think the proton knuckle-duster was controversial? Wait until you see the proton suicide vest.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 60 minutes!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

You think the proton knuckle-duster was controversial? Wait until you see the proton suicide vest.

After they use it, they can go undercover.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Just because it's a cash grab doesn't mean you can't put some real work into it.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Occasionally, Bustin' makes me feel good. Not often, but sometimes, on a good day.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Acne Rain posted:

right now any given discussion of ghostbusters is only slightly less hysterical and full of trolls or people so deluded and loud they might as well be trols, than any given current poltical discussion.

the only difference is that islamaphobia is not involved in the discussion of ghostbusters.

I think in here we're all just having fun though.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Occasionally, Bustin' makes me feel good. Not often, but sometimes, on a good day.

Does bustin' make women feel good? Sluts.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Kevyn posted:

GB2 was plenty successful. It set a record for the biggest opening weekend ever... which Batman broke a week later. And it's probably remembered more fondly than most sequels.

This thread continually making GBS threads on GB2 is mystifying. It was enjoyable, it just wasn't nearly as good as the first movie, which is fine when the first movie is Ghostbusters. Every sequel isn't going to be The Godfather Partt II, but that hardly makes it trash.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It's obviously a Fallout style Power Fist, which makes it infinitely better.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Acne Rain posted:

it makes me sad, i love ghostbusters, even the 2nd movie, but now i can't talk about it to a friend without going on rants about the new movie.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I think it's also just that thing where, like, women in movies is somehow still a weird, untested phenomenon, so everything a woman does that isn't "recede into the background" has to be entirely on-point and also represent the entire gender for some reason.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Another week, another bunch of new TV spots with tiny snippets of new footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO_9UxNdW2Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEJ2MctFxV0

There's a few more on youtube

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It really is a shame that the comedy falls so flat in these TV spots, because I really like the actual look of the new ghostbusters themselves. It does a good job of capturing the "queer nerdy girl" style.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Has anyone else seen this unfunny pile of poo poo? The new Ghostbusters present a new Ghostbusters theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8huymZGRQ6Y

Like, they're trying so hard to be funny, but it ain't happenin' ladies.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

LadyPictureShow posted:

Has anyone else seen this unfunny pile of poo poo? The new Ghostbusters present a new Ghostbusters theme song.

I have legitimately laughed out loud and many things each and every one of them has done at various points in their careers, but this isn't good.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I think it's also just that thing where, like, women in movies is somehow still a weird, untested phenomenon, so everything a woman does that isn't "recede into the background" has to be entirely on-point and also represent the entire gender for some reason.

That plus geek tribalism is a gasoline plus fire situation, I think. A lot of nerds on the internet really can't handle their cinema preferences not being in line with what everyone else thinks. I used to post in a forum where every discussion of the star wars prequels had That Guy show up with elaborate conspiracy theories about how people didn't really think episode 1 was a terrible mess, and how it was all peer pressure and geek groupthink to diss it, blah blah blah.

Take that, add that gender is the internet culture wars flashpoint du jour, and you get the Ghostbusters reboot. If it does well, its a SJWs run amok and contorting facts to build a false narrative of success. If it does poo poo, its MRAs poisoning public outlook ahead of the film's release. To everyone else, its just bourgie bullshit all around.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Magic Hate Ball posted:

So I guess the whole rom-com craze never happened?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Desiden posted:

I used to post in a forum where every discussion of the star wars prequels had That Guy show up with elaborate conspiracy theories about how people didn't really think episode 1 was a terrible mess, and how it was all peer pressure and geek groupthink to diss it, blah blah blah.

That's this forum.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

steinrokkan posted:

So I guess the whole rom-com craze never happened?

Or the Resident Evil movies.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Or the entire Slasher genre.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The reason is that most people are using Ghostbusters as a jumping-off point to attack the 'real enemy': the jewish/illuminati conspiracy. It's not women per se, but the idea that white women in league with jew hollywood are trying to trick everyone into accepting something 'unnatural'.

This is not an exaggeration. Note how many people (preemptively) voice absolute fear that you won't be allowed to criticize the film. Generalized feelings of unfreedom, disenfranchisement, powerlessness, etc. - they're being concentrated and directed towards an enemy. Like a proton stream, right? White women are taking our power away. White women are forcing us to to do things.

But even more than that, this preemptive strike is designed to destroy the film before it can even exist. It's conceived as too powerful - an atomic bomb going off. 'The smoking gun can't be a mushroom cloud.' That's the fantasy: women are all-powerful and I am being made into a worm. Dilbert creator Scott Adams recently voiced a similar sentiment, to the outrage of other culture-war bloggers:

"Adams seems to be believe that men are naturally sexually aggressive, and women/society put limits on their natural impulses. This is what Jezebel got wrong: he doesn't believe this. He wishes this. And when he says society is a 'prison' for men's natural urges to penetrate random women like in caveman days, he is not really complaining about this prison. That's what he wants. He wants it to be true that society is cockblocking him. Because if that is true, then it isn't his own inability to score chicks that's limiting him."
-The Last Psychiatrist (http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2011/07/jezebel_proves_scott_adams_is.html link)

Note how the Dilbert guy's fantasy is precisely the same fantasy as in Ghostbuster 1: that 'dickless' society is holding back our natural urge to penetrate like in caveman days. So once decadent liberal society collapses, the nerds will get their day in the sun: "Let's show this prehistoric bitch how we do things downtown!"

The grain of truth is that this is a film about white, liberal women. That's the entire point: the gulf between the progressive content and the crassly commercial form of its expression. How can you have a feminist company? A feminist blockbuster? The entire point is that it's an oxymoron. But since fans don't actually like Ghostbusters, they've consequently missed that the series has always been about poking fun at dumb nerds. That the women in the film are dumb nerds is the entire point.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 27, 2016

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The reason is that most people are using Ghostbusters as a jumping-off point to attack the 'real enemy': the jewish/illuminati conspiracy. It's not women per se, but the idea that white women in league with jew hollywood are trying to trick everyone into accepting something 'unnatural'.

This is not an exaggeration. Note how many people (preemptively) voice absolute fear that you won't be allowed to criticize the film. Generalized feelings of unfreedom, disenfranchisement, powerlessness, etc. - they're being concentrated and directed towards an enemy. Like a proton stream, right? White women are taking our power away. White women are forcing us to to do things.

But even more than that, this preemptive strike is designed to destroy the film before it can even exist. It's conceived as too powerful - an atomic bomb going off. 'The smoking gun can't be a mushroom cloud.' That's the fantasy: women are all-powerful and I am being made into a worm. Dilbert creator Scott Adams recently voiced a similar sentiment, to the outrage of other culture-war bloggers:

"Adams seems to be believe that men are naturally sexually aggressive, and women/society put limits on their natural impulses. This is what Jezebel got wrong: he doesn't believe this. He wishes this. And when he says society is a 'prison' for men's natural urges to penetrate random women like in caveman days, he is not really complaining about this prison. That's what he wants. He wants it to be true that society is cockblocking him. Because if that is true, then it isn't his own inability to score chicks that's limiting him."
-The Last Psychiatrist (http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2011/07/jezebel_proves_scott_adams_is.html link)

Note how the Dilbert guy's fantasy is precisely the same fantasy as in Ghostbuster 1: that 'dickless' society is holding back our natural urge to penetrate like in caveman days. So once decadent liberal society collapses, the nerds will get their day in the sun: "Let's show this prehistoric bitch how we do things downtown!"

The grain of truth is that this is a film about white, liberal women. That's the entire point: the gulf between the progressive content and the crassly commercial form of its expression. How can you have a feminist company? A feminist blockbuster? The entire point is that it's an oxymoron. But since fans don't actually like Ghostbusters, and they've consequently missed that the series has always been about poking fun at dumb nerds. That the women in the film are dumb nerds is the entire point.

This but ironically

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I just think Ghostbusters(2016) looks like its not gonna be a good movie.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

boom boom boom posted:

I just think Ghostbusters(2016) looks like its not gonna be a good movie.

The crucial point, even in your innocuous white noise post, is this 'just'. The overwhelming desire to participate while remaining neutral/apolitical. You've been just thinking this - out loud, over and over - for a while now, it seems.

The only way out is through.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

The crucial point, even in your innocuous white noise post, is this 'just'. The overwhelming desire to participate while remaining neutral/apolitical. You've been just thinking this - out loud, over and over - for a while now, it seems.

I thought the RoboCop and Total Recall remakes looked bad too, but for some reason nobody ever called me an anti-semite because of that.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

boom boom boom posted:

I thought the RoboCop and Total Recall remakes looked bad too, but for some reason nobody ever called me an anti-semite because of that.

lmao jesus chriiiiiisst

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LadyPictureShow posted:

This is somethin weird and it don't look good

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The false equivalence where if you don't like the trailer you are sexist and if you do like it you m think everyone who does not is a sexist is what makes the movie so annoying to talk about.
like when one person actually thinks that the group opposite their opinion is entirely the stereotype they do not like, then they will mock you for thinking anyone on their side has ever done anything wrong, and that just proves you are one of the bad people.

There is no room for calm dismissal or approval, everyone is freaking out and completely hyperbolizing.

Personally I think both problematic groups exist. They aren't everyone but they care enough about everyone thinking the same thing about this movie that no discussion of the movie can be left alone without their input.

I don't think the movie will be good but I wanted it to be.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Ghostbusters is like thermonuclear war - the only way to win is to not play.

You know, this is a very weird case where a new movie actually does kind of ruin the old one. Not the movie itself mind you - if a movie sucks, it doesn't retroactively ruin older movies it was based on. You usually just forget them. Regardless of how good or may the new movie it, it doesn't make the original less good.

But rather, the controversy around Ghostbusters actually does hurt my enjoyment of the original because I can't talk about how great and witty the original film was without people getting angry and flinging around accusations and whatnot. The mere mention of Ghostbusters now starts a bitter argument.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Who cares though? If you're talking about the original Ghostbusters and some shitweasel is getting all riled about about the new one, tell them to shut the gently caress up.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

boom boom boom posted:

I did not call you an antisemite. I called you innocuous. That means harmless.

You can see how your constantly-asserted neutrality necessarily gives way to fantasies of persecution. You believe your ability to post white-noise is under threat. Why is that?

I stand for truth, which is not neutral.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Ghostbusters is like thermonuclear war - the only way to win is to not play.

This decision not to play is not a neutral one. It is of course intensely political. Hence, the only way out is through.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 27, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

I did not call you an antisemite. I called you innocuous. That means harmless.

You can see how your constantly-asserted neutrality necessarily gives way to fantasies of persecution. You believe your ability to post white-noise is under threat. Why is that?

I stand for truth, which is not neutral.

This decision not to play is not a neutral one. It is of course intensely political. Hence, the only way out is through.

Oh good. You said most people critical of Ghostbusters(2016) were antisemites, I'm glad to know you weren't including me in that.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Acne Rain posted:

The false equivalence where if you don't like the trailer you are sexist and if you do like it you m think everyone who does not is a sexist is what makes the movie so annoying to talk about.
like when one person actually thinks that the group opposite their opinion is entirely the stereotype they do not like, then they will mock you for thinking anyone on their side has ever done anything wrong, and that just proves you are one of the bad people.

There is no room for calm dismissal or approval, everyone is freaking out and completely hyperbolizing.

Personally I think both problematic groups exist. They aren't everyone but they care enough about everyone thinking the same thing about this movie that no discussion of the movie can be left alone without their input.

I don't think the movie will be good but I wanted it to be.

There are sexists and also people who accuse everyone who hates the movie of being sexist, but neither are really present in this thread to a great extent (comparatively at least, there have been a few suspect posts which might have been ironic or trolling). The bigger issue in here is people super afraid of being accused of one of these things, and preemptively railing against that accusation.

Like SMg just compared the fear of feminist accusers to the fear of a Zionist plot and that dude was like "oh so you're accusing me of being an anti-semite?" :cripes:

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Guy A. Person posted:

Like SMg just compared the fear of feminist accusers to the fear of a Zionist plot and that dude was like "oh so you're accusing me of being an anti-semite?" :cripes:

• Locked thread