Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jesus gently caress, timg that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

He couldn't help it. It just popped in there.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Timby posted:

He's fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
This happen to you before?

Oh, first time?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I wish this thread would go away so I can write a new, better op.

I've got this sitting on my bookshelf at the moment. Foam rubber stunt ghost trap (that handle would end your kidneys on the hero version when you fell on it). I love the props from GB, obviously, but the trap has always spoken to me. It's only recently that I've realised it's the form of them - you can't see it so much in this casting, but the actual shape has a really constructivist feel. There's a lovely, solid geometry to them.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Boinks posted:

He couldn't help it. It just popped in there.

What? What just popped in there?

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Timby posted:

Whoa, sorry, it automatically resizes on my screen, so I didn't realize how big the image was.

echoplex posted:

I've got this sitting on my bookshelf at the moment. Foam rubber stunt ghost trap (that handle would end your kidneys on the hero version when you fell on it). I love the props from GB, obviously, but the trap has always spoken to me. It's only recently that I've realised it's the form of them - you can't see it so much in this casting, but the actual shape has a really constructivist feel. There's a lovely, solid geometry to them.

I just have some fan made thing, but it does the job! It's all wood, though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

echoplex posted:

I think that's actually a GB2 trap that you have. Seem to recall there being more stripes (and them not being so thick) on the GB1 prop.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Stripes are the same, but the details are the second film. My secret shame.

Scroto: niiice.

Serious question: the digital video file that was used for the screenings last year was, I'm sure, much better than the blu-ray that exists. Is there even a legitimate way of getting of hold of said file? I'm assuming not, but having watched how horrible the blu-ray was the other day, I would love to see a decent HD transfer.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I looked at the trap, Ray.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Anyone else reading the IDW Ghostbusters comics? I just caught up the first 10 issues of the ongoing, and its really fun! Lots of pleasing stuff all over with references from the films, RGB, EGB and the video game.

If you're not reading, I highly recommend you do. They're currently seeding stuff in the issues that I can't wait to see a payoff for.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Anyone else reading the IDW Ghostbusters comics? I just caught up the first 10 issues of the ongoing, and its really fun! Lots of pleasing stuff all over with references from the films, RGB, EGB and the video game.

If you're not reading, I highly recommend you do. They're currently seeding stuff in the issues that I can't wait to see a payoff for.

I've had them in my pull since issue #1 and have never been let down. The dialogue is fantastic and always makes me laugh.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I need to get in on this. I'm not much of a comic reader, but I would for GB. Might ask for them for Christmas, if I haven't picked them all up by then.

So be good, for goodness sake... whooaaaaa....

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

The_Doctor posted:

The upcoming arc, direct competition for the Ghostbusters, was one of my favorite rumored GBIII plots from yesteryear. The creators are really good about communicating with the fanbase as well.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Boinks posted:

I've had them in my pull since issue #1 and have never been let down. The dialogue is fantastic and always makes me laugh.

Absolutely. The writers have a real ear for the sound of the boys bantering from 1 and 2, and have got it down pat.

One thing that has made me laugh is the back-up story of #10's art of Venkman. It's the RGB action figure!

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

I love the on-going series. There are so many little background jokes too, like Jeanine dating a guy who looks just like the pony-tailed, EXTREME Ghostbuster's Egon, or a RGB client walking around in the background.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Saw the best Ghostbusters poster while I was overseas this week. It has everything: lots of people in business attire arguing with one another, one actual Ghostbuster and zero top-billed stars, the logo printed backwards, and no evidence of ghosts and/or ghost "busting" equipment. To those unfamiliar with the movie, perhaps the tall bespectacled gentleman is the ghost and the hero Red Beard is telling him the what-for?

Lobok fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 30, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah it's not bad. And as a bonus a bad image of me is drawn on the variant cover to number 1.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

You look like the Rookie! :haw:

In other news, this week's Doctor Who episode had the Statue of Liberty walking around Manhattan...

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Lobok posted:

Saw the best Ghostbusters poster while I was overseas this week. It has everything: lots of people in business attire arguing with one another, one actual Ghostbuster and zero top-billed stars, the logo printed backwards, and no evidence of ghosts and/or ghost "busting" equipment. To those unfamiliar with the movie, perhaps the tall bespectacled gentleman is the ghost and the hero Red Beard is telling him the what-for?

Did you buy it? I MUST HAVE IT. I used to have an original theatrical poster that crumbled over the years, replaced by a less beautiful repro. I've been thinking about buying this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GHOSTBUSTERS-Original-Quad-Cinema-Poster-BILL-MURRAY-/110949777180

But the Quad is actually quite ugly.

I have the Japanese... somethings that go with both films. Press booklets? PR pieces? Full of behind the scenes stills photography and merchandise. Utterly pointless, but really nice little items.

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
You gotta give the Italians credit for finding a nifty one-word translation for Ghostbusters. (Something like Ghostcatchers, Ghostseizers.)

I think European markets would show the logo facing that way to more closely mirror the international "no" sign (where the slash runs northwest-to-southeast).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lobok posted:

Also, forgive me if I don't recall this correctly, but isn't that shot either backwards, or not quite from the movie? Maybe an alternate take? I don't remember them standing exactly in those spots. And let's not kid ourselves, we're all just as obsessed about this movie as the next guy. Does this look weird to anyone else?

You're right, no... human being would stand like that.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, forgive me if I don't recall this correctly, but isn't that shot either backwards, or not quite from the movie? Maybe an alternate take? I don't remember them standing exactly in those spots. And let's not kid ourselves, we're all just as obsessed about this movie as the next guy. Does this look weird to anyone else?

You're right, no... human being would stand like that.

Check out this scene, at 0:19 we see:

What that picture looks like is a still photo taken of this shot, from slightly to the left of the camera's position.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

echoplex posted:

Did you buy it? I MUST HAVE IT. I used to have an original theatrical poster that crumbled over the years, replaced by a less beautiful repro. I've been thinking about buying this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GHOSTBUSTERS-Original-Quad-Cinema-Poster-BILL-MURRAY-/110949777180

I did not buy it, no, sorry. But in my travels across the Internet trying to simply find the image to post it here, there were a couple sites that sold Italian Ghostbuster posters so you may be in luck. The one I posted is actually only one in a series, some that make sense with the Ghostbusters in their usual poses and then others like one I saw that features only a shot of the dark section of road outside Dana's building near the very end of the movie, with no people and nothing remarkable in the frame except small fires and white, foamy [marshmallow] debris everywhere. Even for people who are intimately familiar with the film, it's quite possibly the least interesting still one could use for a poster: no characters, very little to catch the eye, no identifiable lines from the movie that could be associated, no plot elements, not even the Ecto-1... just a patch of black, dystopian street.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Glass Joe posted:

What that picture looks like is a still photo taken of this shot, from slightly to the left of the camera's position.

Yup, THAT'S where my confusion is coming from. Thanks!

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010
Spent a little while going through this thread, and it brought back a lot of memories. I guess you could count me as a big fan when I was a kid. I was seven-eight when GB2 came out. I remember cutting out the black and white movie ad from the newspaper and hanging it on the door of my bedroom. I had the GB2 picture-book story, as well as the novelization. I had all the Real Ghostbusters action figures as well as Ecto-1A, Ecto-2:

and Ecto-3:

My parents were too poor for the bigger stuff, so I made my own fire house out of a big cardboard box complete with Tinkertoy firepole. I made proton packs and traps out of Construx. Remember Construx?

One time my sister and I visited my cousins and they had the toy slime-blowers. The "slime" was just a piece of pink plastic that protruded out of the gun, and I remember aiming it point blank at my sister's head and shooting her, which gave her a big bruise. Good times.

porkfriedrice fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 8, 2012

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Wow! I just realized I actually had an Ecto-2! It's been probably 20 years or more... HUGE nostalgia wave.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

I had the Ecto-1, Ecto-1a, the Ecto 2, and the Ecto 3. And the firehouse. I remember when I got the Ecto-1a. My brother was running around our house with his socks on. He slid down the hallway and split his forehead open on a door frame. He had to go to the ER. My mom got him an Ecto-1a for being brave and I got one for being the older brother who would have thrown a fit otherwise.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

Wow! I just realized I actually had an Ecto-2! It's been probably 20 years or more... HUGE nostalgia wave.

It was actually a pretty cool toy, until the trigger that made the rotor spin broke.

E: I just remembered that I also had the soundtracks for both Ghostbusters movies.

porkfriedrice fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 8, 2012

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Even when I was a kid I thought the slime blower toy was kind of.. suggestive.

The prototype was so much better though!

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Even when I was a kid I thought the slime blower toy was kind of.. suggestive.

The prototype was so much better though!

I still have that (sans stickers and gun) in my basement at home. Don't try to fit a 20+ year old man body into the straps, you will never escape.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Does Ecto Cooler still exist under a new name?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Man, the GB toys I always wanted were the Ecto 1a (had 1, 2, and even 3, with those weird waffle-hands out front. I even had the 'Bug' car, that turned into some sort of mantis), the Slime Blower, and most importantly... the fire house.

In fact, I would STILL love to own the fire house someday.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
The Ecto-Cooler Story

As it turns out, Ecto-Cooler went on WAY longer than anyone has ever thought it did, as Minute Maid only cancelled it sometime in 2001.
However, by 2003 Nostalgia had firmly grasped the internet and the website X-Entertainment managed to do some Internet Detective work to find out that the flavor "Shoutin Orange Tangergreen" was (for all intents) Ecto Cooler without the branding. If you lived in the right parts of the country, you could simply walk into your local super-market, and pick up a 12-pack of ecto cooler as if it weren't this awesome thing.
Unfortunately, Minute Maid decided to cancel that flavor as well, but thanks to some incredible nerds over in Chicago, you can simply make your own Ecto Cooler.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Man, the GB toys I always wanted were the Ecto 1a (had 1, 2, and even 3, with those weird waffle-hands out front. I even had the 'Bug' car, that turned into some sort of mantis), the Slime Blower, and most importantly... the fire house.

In fact, I would STILL love to own the fire house someday.

Ecto-1A was just the Ecto-1 toy with a different sheet of decals.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

WeX Majors posted:

The Ecto-Cooler Story

thanks to some incredible nerds over in Chicago, you can simply make your own Ecto Cooler.

Just going to embed for prosperity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-ISy3T1MU8

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
http://www.vulture.com/2012/10/new-ghostbusters-movie-shooting-next-summer.html

I'm actively pessimistic about this whole thing. You've got nothing without Murray.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Tuxedo Jack posted:

http://www.vulture.com/2012/10/new-ghostbusters-movie-shooting-next-summer.html

I'm actively pessimistic about this whole thing. You've got nothing without Murray.

I doubt it's even happening.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

echoplex posted:

I doubt it's even happening.

Yeah, sorry Aykroyd, we are NOT ready to believe you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I don't think that they'd NEED Murray, but they'd definitely need that type of humour.

• Locked thread