Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Icon-Cat posted:

My dream cast, in rather poorly-Photoshopped visual form.

This is not the nerdiest thing I ever did in the name of GB, but it's the nerdiest thing I've done RECENTLY.

"Hey, Icon-Cat," you tell me, "you do realize that men and women's bodies look different, right?" Yeah, I know, but if I fixed that, I'd also have to fix the fact that Ms. Page probably isn't six feet tall.

Who's the red head in the middle? I can't remember what I've seen her in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

NarkyBark posted:

Make it a sequel. Have Sigourney Weaver back but this time she's a grizzled veteran ghostbuster who takes no poo poo.
She would be great.

Warden Andrews: Let me see if I have this correct, Lieutenant - it's an 8-foot creature of some kind with acid for blood, and it arrived on your spaceship. It kills on sight, and is generally unpleasant. And of course, you expect me accept all this on your word.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Ghostnuke posted:

Who's the red head in the middle? I can't remember what I've seen her in.

In the back? That's Lake Bell, who you've probably seen on Children's Hospital.

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!

Crappy Jack posted:

In the back? That's Lake Bell, who you've probably seen on Children's Hospital.

Correctamundo. She wrote, directed and starred in a great indie movie called "In a World…"—it's the sharpness of her comic mind that makes me think of her as the best choice for a female GB in the Bill Murray mold, more than necessarily one performance or another.

The only other thing I saw her in was Ivan Reitman's fairly bad "No Strings Attached", where she plays a 'sexy girl ex machina' (if you will) romantic temptation for Ashton Kutcher, but dang if she doesn't give it her all so that you almost believe the character.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

cams posted:

I hope it has as little to do with the original as possible and its only connection is that there are ghosts who get busted.

It becomes a stirring systemic critique of the ghost prison-industrial complex, as the Ghostbusters bust innocent ghosts who have been dimensionally-profiled.

"Light's green, trap is clean," becomes an indictment of the callousness of a profit-driven ghost industry, as it fails to serve justice to the ghost community.

MrJacobs posted:

Venkman was a con-man who used his degrees as a front for his goals

Pretty much. He isn't just an rear end in a top hat who trolls people, he's a satire of 80's business culture.

I've gone into it before in this thread, but the best way I can think to translate the satirical aspect of Ghostbusters is to reference Bay-area tech startups. A Venkman-esque conman today would probably be some "tech entrepreneur" who's myopically obsessed with profit and doesn't give a poo poo about the real function of the service.

It'd be like that Arrested Development plot from the Netflix season, where Maeby sells the poo poo out of George Michael's fake app concept and tons of people fall for it. Alia Shawkat's performance is even kind of like a young, female Bill Murray, thinking about it...

"It's Ghostbusters but they're ladies," just sounds weaker the more I hear it, though. That's not a concept; it's set dressing. An all-female or mostly-female cast could be amazing, but what's the actual concept? Why make this movie vs. literally any other movie starring women?

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Xealot posted:

"It's Ghostbusters but they're ladies," just sounds weaker the more I hear it, though. That's not a concept; it's set dressing. An all-female or mostly-female cast could be amazing, but what's the actual concept? Why make this movie vs. literally any other movie starring women?

With the way they're pitching it, I'm just worried it's going to be some kind of overly-sexy softcore thing where they hunt ghosts in low-cut spandex suits and heeled leather boots.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Xealot posted:

Well, Sony / Columbia has been trying to make the movie since 1992. Aykroyd has had a script that no one liked since 1999, the Year One guys apparently crashed and burned, and I'm guessing Etan Cohen's script was no great shakes, either. One of the principals is dead and another wants nothing to do with the franchise (and make no mistake, Sony desperately wants this to be a franchise now that Spider-Man is comatose).

At that point, you essentially have two options: A "soft" reboot with Aykroyd and Hudson passing the baton, so to speak (and Aykroyd would still have creative control over any project he was involved with), cheaply cashing in on nostalgia, or a hard restart. If you're going to do a hard restart with four dudes, all it's going to get is harsh comparisons to the original -- "oh, so-and-so didn't come close to Ramis' brilliance," etc. If you take a step back, look at the thing holistically, and say, "Eh, what the hell, what about a cast of women," as it seems Feig and Dippold are doing, then I think there's at least a chance of them doing something pretty cool with the idea.

Ghostbusters 3 was never going to be good or satisfying. Aykroyd's lost the plot, Ramis didn't give a poo poo anymore due to his health (and who can blame him), Murray has washed his hands of the thing and Ernie Hudson just wants his paycheck. The great thing about Ghostbusters is that it wasn't a franchise -- it was a one-off happy accident of a film that miraculously came together thanks to a confluence of writing, acting, direction and effects. Sony was never going to make one last adventure with the original gang, it wanted something that was easily repeatable and sequelized.

So if you're going to go into a reboot, why not go whole hog and go crazy? You're already in the Dark Lord's terrain, just go crazy. There's no reason to get coy.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Timby posted:

If you're going to do a hard restart with four dudes, all it's going to get is harsh comparisons to the original -- "oh, so-and-so didn't come close to Ramis' brilliance," etc. If you take a step back, look at the thing holistically, and say, "Eh, what the hell, what about a cast of women," as it seems Feig and Dippold are doing, then I think there's at least a chance of them doing something pretty cool with the idea.

Though, even if they cast women, if they attempt a 1:1 correspondence with the characters, it'll create comparisons. The only thing I think they need is a Venkman type to achieve a similar tone (of detachment and cynicism), but beyond that...yeah, just go off-book.

Also, I don't know why people are concerned Feig will make them "sexy." That's not really his thing; he does broad comedies, but that's not where he goes with them.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Anyway, I'd love to see Amy Poehler in this somewhere. And if Sony can convince Bill Murray to come back, like they seem to need, it'd be pretty funny if he were the Walter Peck-type character. I don't really care about the movie either way, but I hope it's good.

Maybe we'll get another good cartoon adaptation of the franchise. Do they still do cartoon adaptations of live-action movies? I have no idea.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

quote =/= edit

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I remember loving the absolute christ out of the "Extreme Ghostbusters" cartoon when I was in junior high. Like I never missed an episode and just about wanted to cry when the thing got canceled. I think there's definite room for a Ghostbusters TV series similar to that, or maybe even a live-action remake.

Or maybe you guys will tell me the cartoon actually sucked and I'm just blinded by nostalgia, I dunno.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Timby posted:

Aykroyd's lost the plot, Ramis didn't give a poo poo anymore due to his health (and who can blame him), Murray has washed his hands of the thing and Ernie Hudson just wants his paycheck.

But enough about the characters they play.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

They should tie this to Freaks and Geeks, and have Joe Flaherty at every bust, giving Linda Cardellini poo poo.

Dad: "Know what happened to that jogger ghost you just busted? HE DIED."

Linda: "Yeah, I know, dad, but I've got to do this, he's annoying other people."

Dad: "Oh, well then go ahead and incarcerate him for being an annoyance, and just disregard the fact that you're upsetting the concept of an afterlife. IT'S JUST THE BUILDING BLOCK OF MOST CULTURES!"

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

They should tie this to Freaks and Geeks, and have Joe Flaherty at every bust, giving Linda Cardellini poo poo.

Dad: "Know what happened to that jogger ghost you just busted? HE DIED."

Linda: "Yeah, I know, dad, but I've got to do this, he's annoying other people."

Dad: "Oh, well then go ahead and incarcerate him for being an annoyance, and just disregard the fact that you're upsetting the concept of an afterlife. IT'S JUST THE BUILDING BLOCK OF MOST CULTURES!"

She did end the series trying to catch the Dead.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Is there concrete evidence that this is even happening now or is the hype just spinning this story?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drunkboxer posted:

Is there concrete evidence that this is even happening now or is the hype just spinning this story?

Feig has officially signed to direct the reboot.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Timby posted:

Feig has officially signed to direct the reboot.

I'll believe it when I'm streaming it on netflix for the third time.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Murray talked about it on Letterman a few days ago, and not in hypothetical terms.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Timby posted:

If you take a step back, look at the thing holistically, and say, "Eh, what the hell, what about a cast of women," as it seems Feig and Dippold are doing, then I think there's at least a chance of them doing something pretty cool with the idea.

This kinda got me thinking. We recently got failed "reboots" of Caddyshack and Airplane. So the real question is:

What is worse? An-all female Ghostbusters or a black-centric Ghostbusters?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CaptainHollywood posted:

This kinda got me thinking. We recently got failed "reboots" of Caddyshack and Airplane. So the real question is:

Worse in what way? You'd probably piss off more nerds with an all-female Ghostbusters but an all black one would be a tad unrealistic (by this time there should be at least one or two Hispanic dudes too).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nothing makes nerd madder than black actors invading their fantasies. Have they ever been cool with a black person being cast in something that comes out of an existing property?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Jack Gladney posted:

Nothing makes nerd madder than black actors invading their fantasies. Have they ever been cool with a black person being cast in something that comes out of an existing property?

Michael Duncan Clarke as Kingpin and Idris Elba in Thor spring to mind.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

roffels posted:

Michael Duncan Clarke as Kingpin and Idris Elba in Thor spring to mind.

There was a huge amount of nerd resistance to both until after the movies came out. Daredevil didn't do so hot and was quickly forgotten, while Thor came out and people realized Idris Elba is too awesome to resist.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Neo Rasa posted:

There was a huge amount of nerd resistance to both until after the movies came out. Daredevil didn't do so hot and was quickly forgotten, while Thor came out and people realized Idris Elba is too awesome to resist.

To be fair, while most people poo poo on Affleck and Garner, they still give a lot of credit to Michael Clarke Duncan. If there's one thing you can enjoy in that movie, it's his performance.

Well, that and Bullseye chewing on all the scenery he can find.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Jack Gladney posted:

Forgive the one-word post but: No.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Weren't people mad the Green Lantern wasn't black.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Weren't people mad the Green Lantern wasn't black.

That was mainly because they preferred the John Stewart GL to Hal Jordan.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Kyle Raynor was the best Green Lantern*

*the opinion formed by youth

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I could see this legitimately working if Gillian Anderson is involved. She really wants to be; do the right thing, Feig.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

I could see this legitimately working if Gillian Anderson is involved. She really wants to be; do the right thing, Feig.

Have her come in as the government bureaucrat Wilma Peck who is trying shut down the group.

CaptainHollywood posted:

All Blacks Ghostbusters. It's about a New Zealand Rugby team that must fight ghosts that Peter Jackson has released into their homeland as the ultimate special effect for his 3 picture LOTR spin-off about the ghost army.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

Nick Fury seems like the only major example I can think of.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Paul Feig just made it official.

https://twitter.com/paulfeig/status/519939618264088576

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Melissa McCarthy is now a lock to be in the movie. I guess she could play Slimer.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Old news, man.

Also, Gillian Anderson should play the Egon role, if there is one.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I think the reboot concept is kinda lame when they could do the franchise angle. But then again I'm still reasonably sure that this isn't going to exist.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

I'm thinking Beetlejuice/Ghostbusters crossover. Four wise-cracking women of the Facebook era match wits with the Ghost With The Most.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Also, Gillian Anderson should play the Egon role, if there is one.

They really only need two "types" to make it work: an aloof cynic like Venkman and an earnest believer like Ray. Which is pretty loose criteria...an rear end in a top hat and a straight man for them to play off of.

Egon and Winston aren't really necessary to make the humor work. (I mean, they're awesome, but directly correlating to them is a god awful idea.)

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Senor Tron posted:

I don't have much interest in a reboot of Ghostbusters, but Amy Poehler would be perfect for playing Ray.

Having the film as a sequel and not a reboot would actually introduce more story possibilities. Imagine a world where it is proved that ghosts are real, and we have the technology to catch and study them. The Ghostbusters would have become a massive corporation, with franchises worldwide. Like any big corporation it has become stuck in its ways and thinks it knows the best way of doing things. Introduce our new team, who are running a struggling franchise because they don't play by the usual rules. The fact they do things differently means they uncover a threat, others don't believe them and when it's finally proven to be real dismiss them from being involved in the solution. The new team saves the day, are celebrated, cue cameo from one or more of the old cast and roll on the sequel(s).

Eh, they'd prolly mix it with Twister anyways. They'd have rivals they're constantly trying to out show till the big one where their rivals are killed and they go on to save the day. That's about as far as imagination goes in Hollywood

Kevyn posted:

80's era Ford Country Squire. Something with wood paneling.

I can see them doing something stupid like a couple PT Cruisers

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 21, 2014

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

JediTalentAgent posted:

Have her come in as the government bureaucrat Wilma Peck who is trying shut down the group.

That's perfect! Gillian Anderson has no dick!

As far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Gotta be someone flat chested

"It's true, your honor......this woman has no tits". Jesus, that sounds like an Al Bundy insult for Marcy

• Locked thread