Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Soulwrangler posted:

The movie ends with Janine walking into the break room and seeing the spectral images of Venkman, Stantz, and Spengler playing cards. Venkman looks at her says "Just don't tell the health inspector." End of movie.

Okay, I'll admit, I like this part.

There are little bits in there that I sort of like from that description, too, but maybe in part because they remind me of some of my own thoughts on how they could have done another GB film by using the idea the 'meta' commentary that because the Ghostbusters weren't the best businessmen, they failed to properly protect their IP, designs and brand, resulting a copycat paranormal teams running around as they defiantly promote themselves as the REAL Ghostbusters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
I get the feeling that whomever wrote it spent a long time going around and getting various ideas from fan postings and general feelings of fans regarding Bill Murray and Michael Cera respectively.

I mean, do I feel like a dolt for reading and comprehensively examining a 116 pages of fan fiction? Yes, yes I do.

Usually there's a secondary "but the lesson learned" bit there but no, there's no lesson learned here.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
And the Sony Hack finally starts to reveal the stuff I really want to read:

The Daily Beast posted:

An email dated October 8, 2014, from Pascal to Ivan Reitman, director/producer of the original Ghostbusters film, revealed some key details about the planned reboot, scheduled for release ideally sometime in summer 2016:

“Agree that everyone is way too nervous about how this issue and how we. present it but it's isn't a sequel to the 80s movies and it is gonna be totally original with completely different characters and our job is to find a clever way to connect the movie to the original franchise so that we can use all the assets and everything that is great about the original franchise,” the email read. “Paul's movie is gonna be the first one and from what I'm hearing jennifer lawrence and Emma stone and Melissa McCarthy and Amy schumer and liszzy [Lizzy] Kaplan just to name a few have already said thy wanted to be in....”

Also of interesting note, some fire for that original creators being forced into/out issue:

The Daily Beast also posted:

An email dated October 31, 2013, from David Steinberg, head of Sony Pictures Entertainment’s legal department, to Leah Weil, SPE’s general counsel, touches on Bill Murray’s alleged reluctance to star in Paul Feig’s planned all-women Ghostbusters adaptation. If the email exchange is to be believed, Sony was planning “‘aggressive’ litigation counsel” to evaluate the situation, but wanted to keep it quiet so as not to harm the studio’s reputation by publicly going after a celebrated actor like Murray.

“In order to more fully evaluate our position if Bill Murray again declines to engage on ‘Ghostbusters’, AG requested that we identify ‘aggressive’ litigation counsel with whom we can consult to evaluate our alternatives and strategize,” the email read. “[Harkening back to his prior employer, of course, raised the name of David Boies.] Personally, while I’m fine with aggressive, I think we are in much worse shape if this goes public so seems to me we should look for someone who isn’t seeking the spotlight.”

I wonder if due to the hack and negative press coming out that Ghostbusters is now top top top priority as some kind of palette cleanser.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
I know there's a lot of people in this thread that hate McCarthy and want her so far away from this project she's in a different galaxy arm. But I loving love that cast.

But what I keep coming back to is how much I don't want them in a Sexy Ghostbuster Outfit. I'd image search to give examples, but I'd just get furious at the result page displaying all those annoying outfits so you'll all just have to imagine it.
I'm also not sure I want them to just be in a regular jumpsuit, because gently caress it this is a movie, and these are movie stars.

There ya go, that's a decent angle for the hate on this cast I'll agree with. No one really thought of any of those four dudes as "hot". They were just four regular lookin dudes. Now in comes an all girl cast and the odds of them redesigning the jumpsuit to have frilly skirts shoots up tenfold.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just want to point out that the idea of Lizzy Kaplan and/or Jennifer Lawrence getting oral sex from a ghost is loving hot.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just want to point out that the idea of Lizzy Kaplan and/or Jennifer Lawrence getting oral sex from a ghost is loving hot.

In theory, then you realize that's Dan Aykroyd's cameo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Soulwrangler posted:

In theory, then you realize that's Dan Aykroyd's cameo.

:barf:

Why ya gotta be that guy?

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

I'm pretty sure that Jennifer Lawrence in a Ghostbuster's role would somehow result in a divorce on my end, so I hope that doesn't happen.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

"Dont put metal in the ghost oven. Dont put metal in the ghost oven. Ill do what I want" *burns down the firehouse*

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

WeX Majors posted:

But what I keep coming back to is how much I don't want them in a Sexy Ghostbuster Outfit. I'd image search to give examples, but I'd just get furious at the result page displaying all those annoying outfits so you'll all just have to imagine it.

Just go look at Ghostbusters News. The guy who runs it puts up a creepy photoshoot every month of some model or stripper in a GB uniform. It's not what I want to see on a news site. :cripes:

TinKelp
Jan 9, 2007
:dukedog:
Buglord

WeX Majors posted:

I know there's a lot of people in this thread that hate McCarthy and want her so far away from this project she's in a different galaxy arm. But I loving love that cast.

I'm also not sure I want them to just be in a regular jumpsuit, because gently caress it this is a movie, and these are movie stars.

There ya go, that's a decent angle for the hate on this cast I'll agree with. No one really thought of any of those four dudes as "hot". They were just four regular lookin dudes. Now in comes an all girl cast and the odds of them redesigning the jumpsuit to have frilly skirts shoots up tenfold.

I don't know what's worse. That you think that it'll be terrible to put women in normal jumpsuits or that you think because they're women they have to attach skirts to anything they wear. Either way, you have issues you need to work out.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
Wait what, how the gently caress did you get the reverse idea of what I was saying? My point was judging on all the evidence around us, including the fact that this is Hollywood, and this is something Sony is desperate about, they'd do anything to make this film sell well and that includes putting em in a dumb redesigned outfit that looks like one of the things Ghostbusters News apparently posts every day.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

WeX Majors posted:

I know there's a lot of people in this thread that hate McCarthy and want her so far away from this project she's in a different galaxy arm.

I just don't find her funny. Besides, my dream cast is Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Aisha Tyler, and Isla Fisher.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I read an article the other day that said Rebel Wilson had taken a meeting about the new movie.

I didn't think anything could upset me more than Melissa McCarthy, but here we are.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

OldSenileGuy posted:

I read an article the other day that said Rebel Wilson had taken a meeting about the new movie.

I didn't think anything could upset me more than Melissa McCarthy, but here we are.

I guess I should be glad I don't know who they are, so I can go into a Ghostbusters starring them with nothing influencing my view of it.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I just don't find her funny. Besides, my dream cast is Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Aisha Tyler, and Isla Fisher.

That's actually not that bad.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
All female Ghostbusters wouldn't be good

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

WeX Majors posted:

Wait what, how the gently caress did you get the reverse idea of what I was saying? My point was judging on all the evidence around us, including the fact that this is Hollywood, and this is something Sony is desperate about, they'd do anything to make this film sell well and that includes putting em in a dumb redesigned outfit that looks like one of the things Ghostbusters News apparently posts every day.

What I hear it sounds more like they want to capitalize on The Heat and Bridesmaids and get known comedy performers. They may aim to put some sex appeal in there but hopefully it won't be too pandery.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I could go for that.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Wait, were they going to litigate against Bill Murray to try and get him into Ghostbusters III? Trying to force someone to be in your film doesn't seem like a particularly hot move guys.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Wait, were they going to litigate against Bill Murray to try and get him into Ghostbusters III? Trying to force someone to be in your film doesn't seem like a particularly hot move guys.

I think it was more that he has a controlling interest in the franchise (doesn't he?), and they wanted to be able to make it without his permission, so they were going to pre-sue him. Or something equally nonsensical. Either way, it doesn't look too good for their reputation.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I think it was more that he has a controlling interest in the franchise (doesn't he?), and they wanted to be able to make it without his permission, so they were going to pre-sue him. Or something equally nonsensical. Either way, it doesn't look too good for their reputation.

Eh it probably own't effect them too much. Murrary has enough of a reputation as a stubborn recluse to not make it a big deal, and it would never go to court.

Lizzy Caplan and Emma Stone would be a great combo theoretically. One of Rebel Wilson and Melissa McCarthy is absolutely happening though. I don't think it's a bad thing, but other people are just going to have to accept that. Or not watch a new Ghostbusters movie if it upsets you that much.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Lizzy Caplan and Emma Stone would be a great combo theoretically. One of Rebel Wilson and Melissa McCarthy is absolutely happening though. I don't think it's a bad thing, but other people are just going to have to accept that. Or not watch a new Ghostbusters movie if it upsets you that much.

I have no particular aversion to Wilson, so I'd hope for that option if pressed.

Why do people seem convinced Paul Feig's version will involve "sexy ghostbusters" in strippery outfits? What of his previous work makes it seem like he'd do that? He's not Michael Bay, and reducing his characters to sexualized mannequins doesn't seem like a studio imposition he'd tolerate.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xealot posted:

I have no particular aversion to Wilson, so I'd hope for that option if pressed.

Why do people seem convinced Paul Feig's version will involve "sexy ghostbusters" in strippery outfits? What of his previous work makes it seem like he'd do that? He's not Michael Bay, and reducing his characters to sexualized mannequins doesn't seem like a studio imposition he'd tolerate.

Because that's what they would do given the premise of "my boyhood nerd fantasy but with women".

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mr. Flunchy posted:

They were exploring the possibility of suing him in order to get him out of his contract (which stipulates that he's one of the parties that has to approve any Ghostbusters sequel before it can move forward). They then took the position that he had breached his contract by refusing to read and comment on any of the scripts.

Edit: Considering the scope of the Sony hack, I'm honestly shocked that none of the Eisenberg / Stupnitsky or Etan Cohen drafts of GB3 have surfaced.

Timby fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 15, 2014

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Timby posted:

They were exploring the possibility of suing him in order to get him out of his contract (which stipulates that he's one of the parties that has to approve any Ghostbusters sequel before it can move forward). They then took the position that he had breached his contract by refusing to read and comment on any of the scripts.

Edit: Considering the scope of the Sony hack, I'm honestly shocked that none of the Eisenberg / Stupnitsky or Etan Cohen drafts of GB3 have surfaced.

Instead, apparently the Sony Hack aka The Gift That Keeps On Giving has revealed a possible alternate plan: Channing Tatum and Chris Pratt want to do the reboot with the Russos directing.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Chris-Pratt-Channing-Tatum-Ghostbusters-Movie-Get-Details-68668.html

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Latino Review has some story and plot details via the Sony leak. Nothing too spoiler-y, but spoiler-ed just in case:

quote:

It will be a from-scratch reboot that won't be linked to the original films
The Ghosbusters team will work for the government, though in a shadow capacity since the government refuses to acknowledge the existence of ghosts
It's set in a world where there's never been ghosts, which makes this event that unleashes them a big deal
Speaking of unleashing, the plot goes like this: A convicted murdered is sentenced to death. When his execution on an electric chair becomes super-charged on account of a massive electrical storm, he becomes a powerful ghost. With his supernatural powers he is now able to summon an army of ghosts that may or may not include several classic, historical villains. The main bad guy, by the way, would be Peter Dinklage if Feig has his way
The ghosts will be taken down by "four very different women" who "figure out in funny, scary and action-packed ways how to save New York City and the world," according to Feig
Feig says he intends to make the film "scarier and more hi-tech" than the previous Ghostbusters movies
He would like Cecily Strong, of Saturday Night Live fame, to play a government press agent that continuously has to go badmouth and discredit the Ghostbusters to the public while apologizing to them for it afterward

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I don't give a poo poo about Feig's thing, I want to see the Eisenberg / Stupnitsky and Cohen drafts. I want to see just how terrible those shitshows were.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

as much as I like lizzy caplan and emma stone and j-law I would not want them all lined up in the movie constantly at all. best case scenario would be to just combine this idea with the chris pratt/channing tatum idea and put in Caplan and Amy Schumer as the other two members.
The problem is it sounds more and more like some grand fanfic bullshit right down to "omg let's get peter dinklage as the villain"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
If that is the plot I don't like it. Tying all the ghosts to a single event involving the villain is a bit too neat and tidy (technically the ghosts in Ghostbusters are related to Gozer coming back, but they imply that paranormal activity is a thing that happens anyway), and the secret government agency stuff is pretty trite.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I always appreciated how Ghostbusters were like firefighters for the paranormal. This is an important part of the whole thing; it's relate-able, it's likeable, it's real down-to-earth. Thank god Reitman canned that 'Ghostbusters in Space' original idea, really.

Also, in their universe they're doing a crummy, dirty, almost-thankless, blue-collar-yet-intellectual maintenance job, and then poo poo gets crazy within their line of work that ends up potentially affecting the entire world. If that job actually existed, I think a LOT of people would be lining up to do it, but I like how despite their fame, they get one applicant for the position they posted.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

feedmyleg posted:

Latino Review has some story and plot details via the Sony leak. Nothing too spoiler-y, but spoiler-ed just in case:

Oh...oh god no. I'm sorry but that sounds objectively terrible in so many ways. Either you want to remake Ghostbusters or you don't. And that....mess....is not Ghostbusters.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The big strength in Ghostbusters is that they're basically these blue collar workers. They talk like scientists, but they're basically trash men. That's the appeal of it. The reboot just makes it sound like the Men In Black angle, which feels incredibly boring and overdone because it's the most obvious thing to go for.

Hell, isn't that basically what happens in Hellboy? Complete with Jeffrey Tambor going around and denouncing them/apologising to them?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Even putting aside fidelity to the source it's a dull, Screenwriting 101 approach to the material. Everything's neatly limited within the villain's story.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
This is all a plot by the feminist agenda to blame the misogynistic patriarchy of the film industry when the movie tanks :tinfoil:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

...Either you want to remake Ghostbusters or you don't...

I think it's pretty clear at this point that they don't want to remake Ghostbusters. All they (Feig/Sony) want is to attach a well known/well loved name to their project.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Oh...oh god no. I'm sorry but that sounds objectively terrible in so many ways. Either you want to remake Ghostbusters or you don't. And that....mess....is not Ghostbusters.
everyone who cares about "the sanctity of ghostbusters" is dumb

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

cams posted:

everyone who cares about "the sanctity of ghostbusters" is dumb

No it is you who are dumb

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
It sounds like Hellboy meets Ghostbusters. And yet all I can muster is, "Meh."

Adbot