Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wank posted:

When they bust Slimer and Peter is telling how much the Hotel owes them and he has no idea what it costs and the look of Egon showing him: "...we are having a special this week on proton charging and storage of the beast."

The best part of this -- and one that I only noticed a few years ago despite watching the movie about once a month -- is that while Peter is doing his schtick, Egon is holding up his fingers to signal to Venkman how much money each item should cost. I lost my poo poo when I finally saw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

^^^ Edit: GET HER :colbert:

Matlock posted:

the second film is still enjoyable to me if you ignore the fact it's pretty well a cash-in sequel.

The problem with Ghostbusters II is that it's so much more slick than the original. Elmer Bernstein's oddball score was replaced by Randy Edelman noodling around on his synths, the cinematography is ridiculously clean, etc. It looks and feels like a standard Hollywood franchise entry, as opposed to the uniqueness of the original, which doesn't follow any "traditional" rules.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Paradox86 posted:

Also, when he runs and leaps over the divider from "his office" when Dana arrives at the firehouse you hear the tip of his toe kick the wood. That always cracks me up and conjures images for me of Bill Murray completely nosediving into the floor if he hadn't cleared that divider.

Ivan Reitman mentions on the DVD commentary that he nearly had a heart attack when Murray just barely cleared the swinging door. I imagine it would have been a very different movie had Murray needed reconstructive facial surgery.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MokBa posted:

I just re-watched this movie today because of this topic. (Thank you Netflix streaming.) It's still absolutely fantastic. I can't believe how much it frightened me as a kid, principally the ending, compared to now, where I see it as more of a comedy.

That's the beauty of it. When you're a kid, it's a fantastical adventure about four guys, with the most awesome backpacks ever, who save the world. When you revisit it even as a teenager, you start to see that the fantasy elements are there as a backdrop for the comedy.

I was born three weeks after this movie came out in theaters, I know it was the first VHS I ever owned and the day my dad bought a DVD player, we went out and bought the disc.

My next step is to now get a Blu-ray player, only because I must own the Blu-ray of this film. I also need to get my hands on Don Shay's book, "Making Ghostbusters," although it's ridiculously hard to find nowadays. :( (Pretty sure even used copies go for around a hundred bucks on Half.com and eBay.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Cameo posted:

I'm pretty sure the 2005 hi-def remaster that the last DVD and the Blu-ray were based off of was overseen by László Kovács. If that's how he wanted it to look, that's how he wanted it to look.

He would have been 72 and already in declining health at that point. Even if he did oversee the remastering, there's a decent possibility that he wasn't really up to the task. (And I refuse to think that Kovács would have agreed to some of the changes shown in those comparison shots, like the amorphous green blob superimposed over Slimer and the proton streams.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ChickenMedium posted:

Even after all these years, I'll periodically scan Amazon to see if they carry the Speight's Catalog or Tobin's Spirit Guide.

:pseudo: Spade's

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

A Winner is Jew posted:

Ray : I remember Revelations 7:12

I always get taken out of the movie a little bit at this part, because he's actually paraphrasing Revelation 6:12.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Apocalypse Now, The Deer Hunter, The Elephant Man, Out of Africa, Platoon, Rain Man, The Last Emperor, Broadcast News, The Color Purple, The Right Stuff, Kramer vs. Kramer, Gandhi, Das Boot, The Killing Fields and motherfucking Amadeus. :colbert:

Timby fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 13, 2009

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

penismightier posted:

1970s.

Fine. Argue against the rest of my poo poo. :colbert:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jay Dub posted:

Edit: There are probably hundreds of lovely GB fan films out there, but this one is exceedingly well-made.

Yeah, but it's still lovely.

One of the producers of it came to SA a year or two ago to shill for the movie (I think he claimed it was "at least as good as the original films") and wound up getting spanked by, well, everyone. It was pretty funny.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

EDIT the 2ND: Where the hell is the Air Supply song in the film? I've never been able to find it.

One of the guys moving the Ghostbusters' equipment off the university campus is listening to it. You can hear it through his headphones.

And I could swear it's "Spade's Catalog."

Edit: And it is "eleven-five a year."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It actually sounded like "Space Catalog" when I was younger. And I've always wanted to read Tobin's Sprit guide. Is that in the game?

One of the gameplay mechanics involves using the PKE Meter to scan ghosts, supernatural objects / substances, haunted artifacts, etc., not entirely unlike Metroid Prime. By scanning a ghost, you can also find out its weaknesses. The compendium of everything you've scanned so far in the game is Tobin's Spirit Guide.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ema Nymton posted:

This is fantastic, and I'm not being sarcastic.

It works best when you imagine Aykroyd looking at Ernie Hudson, and saying "You're black!" with an excited face, in the same tone as he did about the pole in the firehouse at the beginning.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Deadpool posted:

Seeing as how the cheapest I've seen that novel around is $50 I would be insanely thankful if you transcribed it.

Because it's the transcription of an entire copyrighted work, wouldn't this be classified as :filez:?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The worst part of the new video game is the absolutely horrible generic instrumental rip-off of "Cleanin' Up the Town" that features in a few cut-scenes. :(

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

^^^ None of the stars allowed the use of their likenesses in the cartoon, so certain ... creative liberties had to be taken.

StarSiren posted:

I think he's incredibly hilarious during the whole movie.

He's really quite great throughout, and is the source of most of the movie's actual humor (as opposed to the "exposing ourselves" line talked about earlier). There's something great about his confused look as he says "The Upper Vest Side" when Venkman asks him where in the hell he's from.

Timby fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 19, 2009

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hockles posted:

Just the Egon part of this, with clever text, would be a badass avatar.

:whatup:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Cameo posted:

"I'm gonna take out some petty cash and take her to dinner. We don't want to lose her."
"Unfortunately, this delicious feast (points at the Chinese food boxes) represents the last of the petty cash."
"... Slow down. Chew your food."

Um, this magnificent feast here :colbert:

Timby fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 1, 2009

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Awesome Andy posted:

The other day I was watching my eight year old niece when she came up to me and asked in a sweet little girl voice, "Uncle Awesome Andy, are you a god?"
I was busy making sandwiches for lunch so I just shook my head and said "Nope."
She put her arms in the air and growled in her best Gozer voice, "Then DIE!"

Your niece is the best niece.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

He does have Ph.D.s in parapsychology and psychology.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I just found out that my local independent movie theater (in Dubuque, Iowa, of all places) is doing a Halloween double-feature of The Lost Boys ... and Ghostbusters. :woop:

I was born a few weeks after the movie came out in theaters, and I've never had a chance to see it on the big screen. :woop: :woop:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BulletRiddled posted:

I saw it on the big screen a few months ago, and it was magical. The entire audience sang along to the theme song, and there was a standing ovation when they crossed the streams at the end.

I just found out that they're not getting a 35mm print. They're just showing the regular old DVD and projecting it. :(

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ChickenMedium posted:

It's not so bad, at least with Ghostbusters.

"Everything was fine until Wally Woodchuck here turned off the powergrid."

Wally Wick :pseudo:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

YourEvilTw1n posted:

I thought the foam packs were only used for stunts, the regular were wood and metal?

I'm pretty sure that on the first one, they didn't even have stunt packs, and all they had were the fully loaded props (fiberglass shells, filled with electronics, attached to an aluminum plate and then to the ALICE frame), which weighed in the neighborhood of about 40 pounds. On the second one, that's when they started making the lightweight models (I think they made a cast out of one of the "hero" packs from the first, integrating a lot of the add-on pieces to the cast mold, and just put the electronics in the lightweight version). I think they still used the 40-pounders for close-ups, though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jay Dub posted:

To me it always sounded like Ray admitting defeat after trying to think of something completely harmless and then failing miserably.

Yeah, it's more like Ray saying, "Man, I really hosed up -- we're going to get killed by a loving marshmallow man."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Quasipox posted:

I'm very much pleased with my avatar. I suggest you do the same. Now we just need a Winston.

Would have worked better if you had removed the white background and made it a transparent image (like mine), but very nice. :)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Adrianics posted:

"The next time someone asks you if you're a god, you say 'yes'!"

"Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say 'yes!'" :colbert:

But I do agree that "I have seen poo poo that'll turn you white" is the best choice for a Winston avatar.

For Venkman: "That was your whole plan, huh? 'Get her.' Very scientific."

Edit: Or, "You're not going to lose the house. Everyone has three mortgages nowadays."

VVVVVV :wtc:

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 8, 2009

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/17643

Ivan Reitman apparently will be involved with GB 3. What was news to me is that, in the article, it states that everyone else is on board too! I didn't know that. I knew Bill was ok with doing a voice, if they went CG.

That's a 180 from about 10 years ago, when Ramis told a magazine (Entertainment Weekly?) that the plan -- which was when they were still developing the absolutely terrible Hellbent as the script -- was for him and Aykroyd to write and produce it, and Ramis to direct. At that point, Reitman had become so unhappy with the direction of the script that he wished everyone well and backed out.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yep, and Moranis declined because (as I think has been said a few times in this thread) after his wife died, he went into semi-permanent retirement to raise his kids, and eventually realized he didn't miss acting all that much.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Didn't they put the song in GH5?

Negative.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hockles posted:

Another gem that I forgot about. As Ray, Egon, and Peter are at Dana's apartment investigating things with her and the baby:

EGON: I'd like to run some gynecological tests on the mother.
VENKMAN: Who wouldn't?

I'm always bothered by that little sequence, because Ramis botches his line reading and says "gynelogical," instead of "gynecological."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Ghostbusters 3 tidbit in reply to Sigourney's comment: The 'Venkman is a Ghost' thing has been floating around since at least 1999. I hope to God they don't use it. It's stupid.

Earlier than that, actually, as soon as Aykroyd wrote the script for Hellbent. It was part of Murray's demands in order to return. At least in the Hellbent script, anyway -- Venkman died on something like page 11 in the film's opening ghost battle, and then returned at the end to save the day in the battle against Satan.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'd like to see Bradley Cooper.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yoshifan823 posted:

I dunno, maybe I just haven't watched the right movies, but he's just really good at playing complete pricks, which, really, none of the Ghostbusters are.

He was pretty good at playing the "sane man in an insane world" in the short-lived Kitchen Confidential.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

YourEvilTw1n posted:

I'm so glad they didn't push it out in 1999. It would have been like Blues Brothers 2000, rehashes of old jokes with newer, not dead, cast members.

Aykroyd had totally lost the plot by then, and was insisting that the Hellbent script be produced with no alterations whatsoever. Ivan Reitman thought it was poo poo and said so, and he wound up telling Akyroyd, "I'm out of this; if you want to make it, go right ahead, good luck." At that point, Ramis was going to direct.

Indications are that Reitman is back on the project, so I have to assume that at least the story pitch from the Office guys was decent.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mortanis posted:

Though, out of the cast, he's the only one that really sounds like he just phoned it in.

As I recall, he almost literally did just that. The story goes that Terminal Reality had to send a sound crew out to meet Murray on a golf course to record his dialogue, because he wasn't going to travel to the studio.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

My wife got me the complete run of The Real Ghostbusters on DVD for Christmas.

Hell yeah. :whatup:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CaptAwesome posted:

I believe the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man is one of the few holdovers from Aykroyd's original script (which involved time travel and lots of large monsters), which makes me think that he was always intended to be in the movie in some form or another.

Yep, the Ghostbusters fought the Marshmallow Man within the first twenty pages of the original script -- and I don't believe it incorporated time-travel, but rather inter-dimensional travel.

Yeah, it was pretty out-there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pretty sure that I just read that Aronofsky's RoboCop has been put on hold, because the very, very broke MGM wants him to make it in 3D (and probably PG-13, knowing studio morons), and he has no intention of doing so.

Edit: Yep.

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 8, 2010

• Locked thread