Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

I've gotta day, I think Ghostbusters is my all time favorite film. As a child I use to watch it at least every month, for about 5 or 6 years. My favorite thing about the movie is that every time I watch it, I notice something new. A joke in the background or how a particular actor's inflection in his line lends a different meaning than I remembered. I watched it again about a month ago and I am totally ready for another viewing.

I always felt that the problem with GB2 was that it was geared towards a younger audience. The first movie was just made. The 2nd movie was made with an audience in mind. They brought in Slimer (no longer Onionhead) from the Real Ghostbusters and they cut down on the swearing and smoking.

I remember listening to the commentary on GB1 and Ramis mentioned that he thought the underground scene in GB2 was too scary for the kids. I don't think "the kids" were even a thought when they were making the 1st Ghostbusters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Icon-Cat posted:

Religion chat

This is actually another aspect I really like about the Ghostbusters. They are so scientific about spirits. They don't come at hauntings with holy water and incantations, the come with calculators and nuclear accelerators. One of Egon's lines is a perfect example: "I'm terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought."

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Randomosity posted:

One thing I love about Ghostbusters is how improbable its creation truly was. If you look at what Akroyd originally conceived (a Blade Runner style sci-fi world with competing groups of paramilitary Ghostbusters) and who they wanted to cast, and what they ended up with through collaboration, improvisation and sheer dumb luck, it's incredible. I think that's one reason the second film didn't succeed as much: the first was just a huge, wonderful fluke of production, writing, and acting.

I think this is another aspect that I love about Ghostbusters. It couldn't have worked with just one person working on it. Without Ackroyd's vague and outlandish ideas, without Ramis' ability to bring the script down to Earth, and without Murray's talent at bringing the scenes alive, it just couldn't have happened.

I always wonder what might have happened if they went with Ackryod's original idea of the time traveling future 'Busters, complete with those wacky blast shield helmets and gloves with the nuetreno wand poking out of the wrist that you can see in some concept art.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

I'm not sure where I heard this, but I heard that the residuals from Ghostbusters is enough to help Columbia University re-sod their campus every year. Anyone ever heard that one before?

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

I loved Ghostbusters as a kid. Hell I still do (I managed to grab this before it sold out).

When I was maybe 7 or 8 my grandmother went to New York to visit some family. When she came back she said she visited the firehouse and gave me a postcard that the "Ghostbuster" had written to me! I was the most excited kid ever.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Ensign_Ricky posted:

For some reason the Sandman scared the poo poo out of me more than the Boogieman.

His voice was haunting.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Fun fact: Arsenio Hall is the voice for Winston for the Cartoon.

Speaking of voice actors (I'm sure this was mentioned before):

Lorenzo Music voiced cartoon Venkman and cartoon Garfield, and Bill Murray voiced real life Venkman and "real life" Garfield.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Icon-Cat posted:

As for Lorenzo Music, I used to watch Ghostbusters AND Garfield on Saturday mornings, my favorite cartoon shows. I absolutely cannot, CANNOT believe I never noticed it was the same voice. The funny thing is, I was savvy enough even at the time to know that Garfield was voiced by a somewhat-famous voice actor named Lorenzo Music... all I woulda had to do is scan the credits of the Ghostbusters episodes...

Well, eventually Music was replaced by Dave Coulier, also known as Uncle Joey. So, it might not have been him!

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

No, I remember this one. The vampires and werewolves have a huge fight at the end, and Egon suddenly realizes what happens if vampires and werewolves were to bite each other, and suddenly all the vampires sprout claws and huge teeth and the werewolves grow huge bat wings. Pretty sure that was when I got my first erection.

One of my favorite RGB quotes is from that episode:

Egon: Think about it Peter. When a vampire bites someone, he becomes a vampire, right?
Peter: Um, yeah.
Ray: And when a werewolf bites someone, he becomes a werewolf, too.
Egon: So what happens when a werewolf bites a vampire, and a vampire bites a werewolf?
Winston: Wow, talk about democracy in action.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Ema Nymton posted:

Yet in Extreme Ghostbusters, she's back to Egon again.

Janine makes a sexy bug queen.

I liked Extreme Ghostbusters, but it didn't hold up like the original cartoon. The equipment lacked the style of the older stuff and the whole "extreme" attitude was pretty pointless. Nothing more extreme than 2 ethnics, a goth, and a cripple (also Egon's ponytail).

I did like the episode when the FBI had the Ghostbusters arrested as terrorists while a gremlin sabotaged all of their equipment.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Ema Nymton posted:

Bummer. I've heard that those bottles are shaped like human skulls too, so having a skull full of vodka signed by Dan Aykroyd would be unbelievably kick-rear end.

http://crystalheadvodka.com/

Intro by Dan himself. He's also got a wine. I have every intention of getting a bottle of this for Halloween. (If I could get it shipped to Massa-freaking-chusetts, that is.

text me a vag pic fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 10, 2009

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

My friend, also located in Massachusetts, somehow obtained a signed bottle of Dan Aykroyd wine, so it's theoretically possible. We've been saving it for a special occasion, but hot drat is it tempting just sitting there.

I didn't know he had a vodka too.

It's fairly new (within the last year, maybe). I'm not sure if any place here sells it, but I am going to try to get some (and maybe the wine) and crack it open on Halloween. It'll go so well with my Ghostbuster costume.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

The Phantom Goat posted:

Dan Akroyd is going to be doing an autograph session at the ABC store by my place on Tuesday. I'm hoping to get his autograph on something Ghostbusters related. I can't decide between the DVD, the video game, or "Other Side" comic book though.

DVD.

Also, anyone know where to find these tour dates of his?

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Oh yeah. One of the people behind that ad made a fake viral blog, trying to pass it off like it was the set of Ghostbusters 3. I like the remix, but the again I am gay for pretty much any catchy electronic song.

Oh those iPacks in the back of the car can go straight to hell.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

x-posting as Halloween update:

Custom made...

...hand painted...

...personalized ghost-hunting equipment.

Cinnamon's Busting Supplies: We're ready to believe you.

Working on the same thing, the glue is drying on my pack right now. I love Halloween.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

I'm still having trouble finding a few odds and ends for my pack, AND I suffer from inconsistent access to tools. So i'm still collecting bits and pieces, getting ready for a few giant pushes at assembly.

Also still waiting to hear if I'm going to be able to get cheap rucksack frames and straps from my military friend. Here in Canada our army surplus stores suck.

Im carving my pack out of styrofoam, so it's not going to be amazing. i do have the ALICE frame, however. I got it here.

Edit:
VVV I have far less skill. I thought the foam packs were only used for stunts, the regular were wood and metal?

text me a vag pic fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 30, 2009

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Well, things just went sideways, so it looks like I will be ordering from that link, and paying the little bit extra to get them here asap.

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

edit: or building them out of piping.....hmmm

I ordered mine about a month ago because my technical skills are akin to a chimp, so I wasn't going to be building my own strap or frame. The GB prop building community is insane though, have you ever seen how much a prop proton pack sells for on eBay?

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

echoplex posted:

proton pack info

Wow. Why do you know these things and will you be my gay goon husband?

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Still looking for cheap alice frames though. just in case.

Try taking a look at the costume section of the forums at GBfans.com. You have to sign up, but they have all sorts of resources and people who know the name of every component the packs are made out of.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Has anyone else picked up Ghostbusters: The Other Side yet? It's not a bad little graphic novel with the guys going up against the ghostly versions of Capone, Luciano, Lansky, and Seigel. Also, it has a fantastic :wtf: moment right at the start.

Also, Winston's girlfriend is smoking hot.

Not a big fan of that series. I wish the Legion or whatever the hell series from 88mph finished before they went bankrupt. At least we still have Displace Aggression coming out now.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Everyone grab their 6 inch Ray Stanz figure from Matty Collector?

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Trump posted:

Stantz. And that figure looks awful, sorry.

My bad, I know how to spell his name, I was just distracted is all. The figure looks alright. I have the Egon one, which is pretty cool when you see it. Not sure why Ray looks so mad though.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Dove from Above posted:

Is it anatomically correct or something? Can you get the Blowjob Ghost Lady Playset?

I think it's the credit card requirement that does it.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EfntYQeTvw

What a strange show this was.

My mom recorded that episode (and the entire Halloween block, including Scooby Doo) on VHS and I would watch that episode over and over and over.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

I'm just going to shamelessly plug this post here, which is basically one big love letter to the Ghostbusters.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Sexual Lorax posted:

Who do I have to kill to get more like this?

http://traditionaldanimatio.deviantart.com/gallery/

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Ema Nymton posted:

I've just realized now that Ebay has lots of animation cels from The Real Ghostbusters. And they're all pretty affordable.

These would make awesome Christmas presents. Especially when given to me.

Well, well, well, looks like someone is getting an early Christmas gift. (It's me, I am).

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

pack pics

I've got this bad boy:

Not the best picture, I didn't put on some of the additional details and the flash made it all reflective and textured, but it was fun on Halloween. I think my favorite question about it was "is it real?"

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I only noticed this a few years ago, but at the end, when they're about to blast Gozer, and Peter is yelling out the orders, at one point, and this may be terribly obvious to others, he shouts "Make 'em hard!" and the all click their proton... wands (I hate that term) so that the white part sticks out a bit more.

It's weird to think of anything Ghostbusters-related in a sexual way. Yes, even 'that' scene.

Just call it the particle thrower.

Also, what about the whole keymaster/gatekeeper thing. That's totally sexy.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

MokBa posted:

I really hope they don't just go for the same archetypes as the original movies. Those characters are still going to be there and we don't need to see them twice.

Of course, ever since Community came out, no one can do smarmy lovable rear end in a top hat better than Joel McHale.

In the opposite vein, I hope they don't do anything like what they did with the "Extreme Ghostbusters" cartoon. For whatever reason, I have been burning through the episodes of that lately, and while not terrible, it's not good either. I just hope GBIII won't try to be all "dope" and "hip" and give us a goth girl, a spanish guy, and a cripple. Roland was okay though. Alfonso Ribeiro can be a Ghostbuster.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

I remember hearing some Ben Stiller/Will Ferrell rumors about 10 years ago and I still shudder to think of it.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Soulwrangler posted:

That's the odd part.

Just kidding. I threw out 99 because that's when Aykroyd made his public departure from the Sony/Columbia Office due to their refusal to greenlight GBIII in favor of doing microbudget films due to Blair Witch Project.

I'm so glad they didn't push it out in 1999. It would have been like Blues Brothers 2000, rehashes of old jokes with newer, not dead, cast members.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Timby posted:

Indications are that Reitman is back on the project, so I have to assume that at least the story pitch from the Office guys was decent.

Ghostbusters IN HELL was a pretty weird storyline anyway. I'm glad no one backed Aykroyd.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

My ghost projector still works, but one of the rear end in a top hat kids next door broke by PKE meter around 1991.

When I was about 6 I got the PKE meter jammed up my nose. Far up my nose. Like just-under-my-right eye up my nose. I can still feel it when I think back.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

With the exception of the last twenty minutes, Blues Brothers 2000 is great. It's a two-hour jam session, just like the first. What did you expect?

I saw 2000 before I saw the first and when I watched the original I realize that beat for beat it's the same exact jokes. I'd rather just watch the 1st one.

The_Doctor posted:

I always loved this piece of promo artwork from RGB:

I had this on my wall in high school. It has turned to dust over the years.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

echoplex posted:

Fixed that for you.

That too, sort of.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

As for ghostbusters, are the new novels or comics any good?

There have been a few so far. Legion, Other Side, Displaced Aggression, and Past, Present, Future.

I can't say much for Displaced or PPF as they aren't done yet and I haven't picked them up, but Legion was pretty good. Other Side was alright, but the idea was goofy. The 'Busters are killed by mafia ghosts and most of the action takes place in the ghost world with FDR's ghost and Winston finds his long lost drowned dead-rear end fiance.

Also there is a Ghostbusters manga, but from what I have heard you shouldn't even touch it by accident.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I have the mini-series 88 MPH Studios put out ca. 2004, and remember that one ebing enjoyable.

That's Legion. I liked that one. Other Side was just... well, not really very Ghostbuster-y. I don't know much about the other ones, but they sounds like episodes of the Real GBs and that is enough to intrigue me.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Not sure if anyone posted this but:

http://www.cinematical.com/2010/01/13/ivan-reitman-to-direct-ghostbusters-3/

We got some actual news.

quote:

And if that's not good enough news, even Rick Moranis is said to be willing to leave retirement to reprise his role as their accountant, Louis Tully!

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Timby posted:

Reitman bailed on Ghostbusters III back when Aykroyd was doing everything in his power to get the Hellbent script made, so if he's officially directing this one, then the Office guys must have made at least a halfway decent pitch.

Just the fact that the script has been going between Ramis and Aykroyd over and over and is still kicking impresses me.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Ema Nymton posted:

I saw this on the "I'm with Coco" Facebook group...

Terrible graphics work, but it made me smile. Max looks quite a bit like Egon, here.

There is a great photo out there of Conan standing around, staring down the ET prop, with Vigo in the background. I'll try to hunt it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

CaptAwesome posted:

I'm not sure about SA's policy in regards to linking off-site, but it's rather easy to find using Google.

Just go for it, we like to read.

Also I found the image I referred to a few posts up:

• Locked thread