Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
When I was 5, I wasn't allowed to go out of my backyard. But one day, playing in the backyard with my proton pack and trapper, I decided to go outside the backyard. There was an ambulance station behind it, and after that, a small forest about a block in size and width that the ambulance drivers were supposed to clean up but never did. It seemed like a good place to go try to catch ghosts.

There was a kid around 11 who seen me, and we started talking about Ghostbusters. Remember the age difference. 5 and 11. This was around 1990. He was so excited to play Ghostbusters with someone that he went back to his house, found his proton pack, put on this Halloween costume (which was just a brown electrician jumpsuit) and even got his two younger sisters to put on theirs, though they really didn't want to play. We acted like we were shooting ghosts in the forest until my parents started yelling for me from the house and I had to run back. I was friends with him until around I was 11 years old, since he was 17 and hanging out with an 11 year old was weird. Even if it was all because of Ghostbusters. And that he had a crush on my middle sister.

Just thought I'd share that. I'm off to watch Ghostbusters now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Crackpipe posted:

The real unanswered question has yet to be brought up in this thread.

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO MICK SMILEY?

I don't care if you think the first part of the song sucks. Listen all the way through the 2:22 mark. And don't skip right there either.

I still think that song is awesome, at least that part of it.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Is this playing anywhere in Ontario, :canada:?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

At least it wasn't a thirty year old behind you responding to every rhetorical question in Beetlejuice. He was with a female, so my friend assumed he was trying to impress her with his rapier wit.

That sounds loving unbearable.

The kid I can deal with and would be awesome to see/hear.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

I want really badly for them to never make this film. I just have a terrible Indiana Jones 4 vibe off of it.

If it doesn't have Murray, it's going to likely be a disappointment. That said, I'll still see it and not regret it because Dan Aykroyd deserves to get paid.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

That's going to happen regardless of GB3 being made.

:smith:

I hold out hope on a really good director of stuff like sci-fi and comedy having a really big movie and then convincing the studio to give him Ghostbusters a decade down the road. So far, Reitman wanting the guys who wrote "Year One" to do GB3 is bad enough. Maybe they'll prove me wrong but gently caress that was a dogshit movie.

Then again, I'm starting to question my own taste in everything after really enjoying the 21 Jump Street trailer. It just looks so goofy and fun and the MSTRKRFT song they selected is fun poo poo and... I'm supposed to hate Channing Tatum why do I like this trailer!? :gonk:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Timby posted:

That's not a Reitman thing -- Eisenberg and Stupnitsky are Ramis' personal bobos, and he's the one who said, "Yeah, I don't feel like writing the whole thing with Danny again, so I've given them all our old drafts and notes and they'll write it."

Ahh okay mixed up Reitman and Ramis.

I remember hearing Murray was for a Ghostbusters sequel until he saw Year One.

I wonder how he'd feel about Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick (Zombieland) writing it instead.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Die Laughing posted:

And to make myself sound even crazier: I still want to the cast of Superbad as the new Ghostbusters (I won't mind trading Cera for Eisenberg or whatevere Zombielands name is. Get him and Emma Stone back together.)

It's always a headscratcher for me as to who I'd want the new Ghostbusters to be and I usually end up wanting to see an Anchorman situation where there's over a dozen cameos from comedic actors playing Ghostbusters at different franchises.

However, for the main group? The only thing that would infuriate me would be someone from Big Bang Theory in the group. Otherwise I'd be cool with anything. Even a team with Justin Timberlake in it.

EDIT: Let me correct that. My team would be Sam Rockwell, Bill Hader, Jason Segel and if the fourth is a woman I'll keep Emma Stone.

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 29, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Lobok posted:

I don't know specifically who I'd like to replace the actors (oh wait, nobody), but I would try to get a group who had worked together previously. Ramis and Murray, Ramis and Aykroyd, Aykroyd and Murray - these guys knew each other well and that was important for making the script play to everyone's strengths as well as allowing for some of the improv.

That's why the Apatow crew didn't sound too bad to me because they have several projects under their belt.

I picked the three I picked (Rockwell, Hader, Segel) because they seem to create chemistry with absolutely anyone.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Diar posted:

My vote is for Adam Scott, Donald Glover, Seth Rogen, and Patton Oswalt. Though Hader and Segal would be loving awesome too. I wanted to go with people who are consistently funny and talented but I wanted folks who haven't worked together a ton before. It would be good to have people who had worked together for the experience but I think if it was all people who had worked together before it would feel like one of their movies instead of a Ghostbusters movie.

I originally thought the main characters of 40 Year Old Virgin would be perfect but I don't want it to turn into "Judd Apatow does Ghostbusters" or "Community does Ghostbusters"(despite me loving both of those and thinking they would do great jobs with the franchise). I want it to be Ghostbusters first and foremost with each actor bringing a distinctive flavor to make it new and interesting while still being hilarious and smart.

I think we can all agree there's a good 20 comedian/actors who would be perfect as Ghostbusters. Guys who can juggle being serious, normal and comedic.

The problem is the 50 others we'd never want to see in a Ghostbusters movie.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

JediTalentAgent posted:

Paul Rudd or MAYBE Jason Lee as Venkman is something they would have been very well suited for a long time ago. Too bad they couldn't have done a reboot some 10-12 years ago when he was closer to Murray's age in the first film.

Ryan Reynolds likely really needs a massive hit, so I wouldn't be surprised if they wouldn't try to tag him on a Venkman type. As an oddball choice, maybe they could get David Tennant as a sort of charming Brit version of the character.

Egon is really probably the hard one to cast in this sort of thing if you end up going a full reboot. You need someone who has that perfect mix of smart, restrained, odd and still pretty attractive to the ladies. So, they'd probably get the guy who played Spock in the JJTrek or even someone like the guy who plays Sherlock Holmes in the TV show.

Chris Evans is the most versatile actor in Hollywood in terms of being able to play the cocky jock and the nerdy pretty boy. Timberlake of course can pull it off as well.

That said, if they did a Ghostbusters re-boot, I'd still cast Rockwell and Hader (Rockwell as Venkman, Hader as Stanz) while casting James McAvoy as Egon. Dave Chappelle gets cast as Winston so I can hear him say, "I'm catching ghosts for 24 bucks an hour? NOSEE."

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Timby posted:

Man, after Year One and Bad Teacher, I'm impressed your friend has the balls to actually say he's friends with Eisenberg and Stupnitsky. :v:

What writer would be good to handle Ghostbusters 3? I'm a simple person and want Aaron Sorkin to do it. Just thinking of the comedic parts of Social Network, I think he could write a good Ghostbusters 3 script.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
If Venkman is dead, he has to come back as a ghost.

Actually, gently caress it. All of the Ghostbusters should be dead ghosts haunting a new team of ghostbusters.

Kinda fits in with my original script I tried to write as a 15 year old where the Ghostbusters lost their souls after fighting Zuul.

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 24, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Die Laughing posted:

Wouldn't mind that at all. I told you guys: Cast of Superbad as Ghostbusters.

Only replace Cera with Jesse Eisenberg since Emma Stone and him have much better chemistry than Stone/Hill.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm still a big "put Bill Hader in it" fan.

Hey, he's a part of the Superbad cast! Plus we can throw out McLovin and give Hader more time.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm going to say something now that might seem blasphemous...

I'd rather they just remake Ghostbusters with a whole new cast/set pieces/script, etc than make a new sequel.

My reason being that if they have to continue the franchise I'd rather not see the original characters struggling with age and becoming obsolete, and if they remake it I'll still always have the original film while giving a potentially good film a new start.

Seriously, I don't care if it's a sequel, remake, prequel, cartoon, whatever.

It just needs to be good.

I just have very, very little confidence in the people who wrote Year One. I hope they prove me wrong.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Good luck, Icon-Cat.

Coffee And Pie posted:

This makes me a little more hopeful for a Ghostbusters 3. That being said, I still hope it never happens.

I never really bought into the Murray shredding story but I do buy into the, "Ghostbusters walk out of Year One" story.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

punkr0csux posted:

I feel like they will make it to cash in on 80's nostalgia that's hitting entertainment right now. Transformers, GI Joe, MLP, Total Recall, and the like are all getting remade, revised and redone. The studio that will put this out wants in on the wagon and I don't think they will care about the actual quality of the end product when creating it.

It seems, however, that the creators do have some control. The real question you have to ask is if you have confidence in Reitman/Aykroyd/Ramis?

Like most reboots, returns and rehashes, if it's good it's good. They could put together a killer script, have a great cast and put just enough money into that it both looks fantastic and isn't overblown on budget. They could find the right combination of actors which makes you go, "Yeah, I could watch more movies of these guys being Ghostbusters". That all said, the moment they picked the writers of Year One to do the script I think my confidence in that happening faded.

Honestly, doesn't matter to me. If it's great it's great, if it is the worst loving movie I have seen up to that point the original will easily sober me up. I don't believe in the idea that a sequel or remake can ruin the original.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

zVxTeflon posted:

I dont really buy that article. Especially the comparison to Murphy. Eddie Murphy was in a lot of poo poo. 1 more mediocre Ghostbusters sequel isn't gonna compare to all that. Plus it says GB3 (if horrible) would destroy his career forever. His career at what? All he does lately is VO work, cameos and indy stuff.

Was? All Murphy makes is poo poo!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Farbtoner posted:

The point is that these are all things that he enjoys doing and/or feels are an adequate test for his acting chops. Money isn't an issue for him, if he's not personally invested in a Ghostbusters sequel then he's not going to do it.

He doesn't give a gently caress, he could spend the rest of his life playing golf and making cameos in Wes Anderson movies and will never want for anything.

Absolutely, but Teflon was replying to this line from the article:

quote:

Everything Murray has achieved to this point could be destroyed by Ghostbusters III.

Which is a load of bullshit. Murray might fashion himself as a dramatic actor but being in Ghostbusters III won't do anything to his career. Or at the very least, it won't do any damage that the Garfield films couldn't do.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

echoplex posted:

The best that could happen is that they cast someone like Steve Martin in Murry's absence, and then get a load of other American Greats and play it slightly left-of-centre and have a wordy, witty old-man adventure, with fewer OTT effects and more chemistry comedy. This obviously will never happen.

I hope Murray refusing to sign off on it kills the third film dead. Without him, if it does get greenlight, it's going to be very tedious and no-risks, and will likely have some other unwanted 'star power' to try to get it to make money.

Steve Martin is about as no risk as it gets right now.

I say they sign Louis CK to play Walter Peck as he tries to get his revenge on the Ghostbusters as a fat, balding, unemployed environmentalist protester.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Martin Short. The Steve Martin comments remind me of his appearance on Conan around the same time as Martin Short. I'd see them both as characters in Ghostbusters, sure.

If Short and Martin were in the movie and it flunked, Ghostbusters III would feel like an Adam Sandler movie. Old washed up putting old washed up in the movie so everyone gets paid again.

Such a terrible fate.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

The_Doctor posted:

This would be great, and would adhere to Aykroyd's original vision of Ghostbusters being franchises all over the world like ghost janitors.

They could do a tie in with Community where it just so happens that Pierce Hawthorne is now a Ghostbuster.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Yoshifan823 posted:

Look at 21 Jump Street. The movie that has basically nothing to do with the TV show, but still takes the basic idea of "young cops go undercover in a high school" and runs with it, and is, by all accounts so far, pretty good.

It blows my mind how I'm pumped for that movie. Channing Tatum is a terrible actor and Jonah Hill is alright but the trailers hit all of the right notes. Plus they make fun of Glee.

That said, 21 Jump Street is going to have a Depp cameo so if you do a Ghostbusters reboot, you do need cameos for us folks.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

The_Doctor posted:

I can see exactly what you mean. That level of matey-ness without it actually being the PeggFrost beast of smugness.

This is why I think guys like Jason Segel and Bill Hader would be perfect for a current Ghostbusters team.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Thanks, Scroto. That was neat.

The point they get best is it wasn't just a prop in those movies. I remember begging for it for Christmas. I don't remember begging for any specific Ghostbusters. Of course I just got them, but getting the Ecto-1 and the Firehouse was imperative.

I think those distance shots of NY with the car driving are some of the best shots of any movie.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

demolina posted:

That was wonderful. Seeing Dan so happy gave me fuzzies.

He really is the heart of the whole thing. You can tell that despite being bit too crazy into aliens, that the whole story of Ghostbusters and all the details is ingrained into him. I don't much like Ghostbusters II, or the idea of a III, but damnit if I don't want to see another one come to fruitition just to let Dan loose again.

Honestly, Dan just needs someone who can take his OCD creativity and turn it into a real script.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Cdishwalla posted:

I think he just tends to get too caught up in the technical stuff, or actual ghostbusting part, rather than the characters and the comedy. It was evident from the original when they had to seriously retool his script to make it into a relatable (and film-able) comedy. And he seemed to be at it again when talking about the third one, with all the time travel/dimension hopping crap.

Truth is there's nothing wrong with that. I find having an obsessive compulsive is great for fiction. They just cannot be in the driver seat.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

SublimeDelusions posted:

I want to know the story behind this..

Shatner probably called Dan up to say there were ghosts in his house and he needed something to clean it up.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Timby posted:

Ramis, Aykroyd and Reitman all seem as though they'd rather forget they made the second movie. (Murray acts like he'd rather erase it from existence.)

It actually includes some of my favourite Murray moments.

"There's always room for Jell-O."

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I enjoy GB2 beginning to end. I know it's reviled by many, but I loving love that movie.

:smugdog:

I can't say I love it but I have fond memories of it and when watching it again, some stuff is still good. It was a script that someone could have saved.

As a kid, Viggo Ray bugged me. It wasn't until I got older that I could see that Ray was supposed to be losing it throughout the whole movie and that they cut out a bunch of scenes of him losing it. There's a scene of the Ecto driving wildly from the montage that I think was supposed to be Ray possessed. Might have that wrong.

The movie tried to be absurd and succeeded, but Ghostbusters really weren't supposed to be absurd.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Timby posted:

You're half-right. It wasn't so much Ray losing it throughout the movie. The scene from the montage that you refer to was originally set immediately after they leave the museum (when Ray goes into a bit of a trance while on the ladder). As they're driving back to the fire station, Ray goes berserk, starts driving like a maniac and tries to drive the Ecto-1 into a tree before Winston is able to grab control of the wheel. Afterwards, there's a bit with Venkman telling Egon that someone needs to be watching Ray around the clock -- I believe he says, "Don't even let him shave on his own." It only came up again at the end (which we see in the final cut).

One wonders if Ivan Reitman was trying to send a message about Dan Aykroyd...

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
There should have been a whole family of Tully's that were simply the cast of SCTV. Then they'd reveal that Egon is actually a Tully.

:allears:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
My favourite Viggo line for delivery and creepiness was, "I sat on a throne of blood"

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Timby posted:

That was in one draft. Another had Egon crafting a machine that would put the guys out of phase (or some similar poo poo, I forget the exact phrasing), so by stepping through a portal, they'd be in Hell.

This was all incorporated into the game right?

The goggle concept is so They Live it's a hoot.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Armyman25 posted:

He also directed Ground Hog Day, didn't he?

Ramis has a pretty good directing resume with Ground Hog Day, Caddyshack and Vacation. I kinda liked Multiplicity but that's because Keaton can make anything good. Never saw Ice Harvest.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
That's magnificent.

Is it still the biggest?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

echoplex posted:

I really want aliens to be real to give Dan something else to do.

I want Dan Aykroyd to travel the world in an Ecto-1 just driving slowly down every street with the lights and sirens going.

:neckbeard:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't think that they'd NEED Murray, but they'd definitely need that type of humour.

If the script was good I'd be completely for it.

These guys wrote Year One. Confidence level: 0.1 per cent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
If someone had to make a Ghostbusters remake I'd at least hope they were creative. Like a pro-environment movie where Walter Peck is the protagonist.

• Locked thread