Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

T-Bone posted:

Rick Moranis is funny though in Ghostbusters. His whole monologue at the party as he's introducing everyone is fantastic.

The commentary points out how it's entirely ad-libbed, which makes it that much better. Just wanted to say, great write-up OP.

As much as Ghostbusters II does wrong, it gets a few things right.

1. Peter as a TV psychic.
2. Harris Yulin as the judge.
3. The villain has a larger role.
4. Winston is the loving man!
5. "On Our Own." is less guilty to listen to than "Ghostbusters"

I read this article a while back and it gave me a fresh perspective on the movie:
http://www.overthinkingit.com/2009/06/08/the-ghostbusters-are-horrible-people/

It's no coincidence that Back to the Future has a similar logic and outlook to itself as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
I saw this again for a few months ago and I realized how not only is there so little ghostbusting, but no one "dies" in the entire movie. This is probably one of the reasons kids could see it.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Mortanis posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't someone (Bloomberg? Giuliani?) claim that Ghostbusters helped with the transformation of New York from a hellhole overflowing with self-absorbed assholes into a more moderate and friendly city?

It's entirely possible. While we'll never know for sure, I always like to think the part in Spider-Man near the end where the crowd cheers for Spider-Man and throws stuff at Green Goblin is an homage to Ghostbusters.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

indigenous nudity posted:

I'm loving this thread. Ghostbusters is my favorite film, and one that I think comes to as close to perfection as any movie ever has. The script, the effects, the performances, the pacing, the cinematography...everything just works. Thanks for the fantastic OP. Just when I think I know everything about the movie, a little piece of trivia pops up that makes me wrong. My favorite part:

Venkman: "Wait, I've always wanted to do this."
*pulls table cloth off of table*
Venkman: "The flowers are still standing!"

What makes me love that part, besides Venkman being Venkman, is that Ray and Egon aren't really paying attention to him. Venkman's doing it simply to amuse himself. Even after he pulls the table cloth off, Ray starts talking about laying the trap down, essentially talking over Venkman during his "flowers" line.

That moment was improvised on the spot according to the commentary.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

CaptAwesome posted:

Of all the high concept summer movies to have come out since Star Wars, Ghostbusters is up there as one of the best.

What's great about both those movies is that they "work" even though they really shouldn't. I'm trying to think of movies in recent years which will be remembered the same way. I'm thinking the original Pirates of the Caribbean might.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Deadpool posted:

Seeing as how the cheapest I've seen that novel around is $50 I would be insanely thankful if you transcribed it.

Wow I did not know that. I own the novel because my dad found it on the train one day, and gave it to me when he came home.

quote:

My parents didn't consider this movie evil or anything, just one of those films I shouldn't watch until I was old enough (13) and yet I was allowed to watch the cartoon series. Thanks, Ma and Pop.

It hasn't been talked about much in this thread but the cartoon was pretty good as a kid.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Jay Dub posted:

Oh god... When I was little, that was MY version of the Boogeyman, and it scared me shitless.

I had a few Viewmaster cards (?) of this. Pretty awesome - but I don't know what happened to it. Probably got sold at a Garage Sale.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Deadpool posted:

I also love when the cartoon references the events of the movie and Egon has one of my favorite lines in this episode: "Cathulhu makes Gozer look like Little Mary Sunshine."

That was EVERY episode. "This is the worst thing we've faced since Gozer..."

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Ninja Gamer posted:

One thing I always loved about the cartoon is when the climax of the episode was approaching and the Ghostbusters theme starts playing from the actual beginning of the song. When that happened, you knew some serious poo poo was about to go down.

Hahaha. Even though this happened every episode it was still amazing. It was just shouting, "Yes, yes yes yes, yes!" at the screen.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Lobok posted:

One of my favourite episodes for this is Night Game, when Winston has to play baseball to save the world. At 4:12 is when it all comes down to him and the theme kicks in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq4Duv-Ihxo&feature=related

Thats just weird seeing a Ghostbusters episode end WITHOUT the use of their guns.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

JEBUS_ES_AMOR posted:

I couldnt believe this.

I can't either. But... I dunno, it's pretty funny.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

gregday posted:

Ghostbusters NY shooting locations, then and now.

http://www.scoutingny.com/?p=1056

After seeing that, the only way I see Ghostbusters 3 working is if at least 40% is shot on-location.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

McSpanky posted:

It warms my heart that Ghostbusters is making such a strong showing in pop culture even in the here and now. :3:

Just...awesome. Thanks for posting.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Sexual Lorax posted:

Found this in the funny pictures thread:

:nws: https://wi.somethingawful.com/34/340c816f8abd3e024316203d8369209ddcabd9d8.jpg :nws:

It is both A) a picture and B) funny.

The trailer is all that's necessary to see

:nws::nws:nws: http://nakedmovie.com/view.htm?id=noadvert&trailer=nutbusters :nws::nws::nws:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Anyway, if Moranis is in III, I'm completely sold. He made II awesome with the courtroom scene.

Very good Louis. Short, but pointless.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

echoplex posted:

That doesn't matter as this 21 page thread proves that Ghostbusters is the perfect film.

QUESTION

Did Ivan Reitman luck out on this film?

He did luck out. He managed to make a movie that really manages to appeal to all ages boys and girls. It has enough danger to scare parents, but just enough for parents to say it's ok for kids to watch. If you notice- no one actually 'dies' in the movie. People get frightened/taken away (Dana/Louis) but everyone ends up ok in the movie.

Men in Black worked on the same principle- although the tone was just a little lot more lighthearted.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Timby posted:

He was pretty good at playing the "sane man in an insane world" in the short-lived Kitchen Confidential.

He was also one of my favourite characters in Alias.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I realize the main problem with Ghostbusters 2 now. It really feels like the stakes are LOW. They do a lot more telling ("The world is going to end!") than showing (Stay Puft Marshmellow Man)- and in an Action/Comedy, showing showing what is at stake is integral. The first movie made it really feel like the entire city of New York was in danger- and the city itself became a character you cared about. With part 2, by having most of the action confined to set pieces in underground tunnels, and that painter's exhibit it just feels so small.

So this got me thinking... how could the stakes have been raised? I feel the answer should have been to make Oskar the devil incarnated and have the plot expand from there. It should have been Dana's son while she Louis were possessed. It was a missed opportunity, and we'll never see that movie now.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Ghostbusters 2 scared me more than 1 as a kid simply because of Vigo. That face is just scary as hell to a 10-year old.

The opening scene of Part 1 is the scariest scene of either. :colbert:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

The ironic part about Ghostbusters' legacy is that while people will regard part 1 as being better, I bet you will find more people to correctly guess Vigo as the villain in part 2 than Gozer as the main villain in part 1.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Now I wish we could have gotten a really creepy scene of the painting in storage somehow getting possessed. Or even a flashback to Vigo somehow sending his spirit into something that would eventually lead to the painting.

I want a redo of GB2 :colbert:

Ghostbusters 2 was a movie full of decent ideas that lacked execution. Venkman's "show" is a perfect example. Although a lot can be forgiven for having more Louis :3:.

Boomerjinks posted:

The first montages start at 35 minutes and 39 minutes, respectively. All the other major cues (second montage, appearance of antagonist, meeting the mayor, appearance of giant "thing", etc) are all offset by about 10-15 minutes.

It may not be minute-by-minute, but holy poo poo is it beat for beat.

This goes for a LOT of movies:
http://www.earwolf.com/episode/why-every-movie-plot-follows-weirdly-specific-rules/

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Lallander posted:

Set in the future where Ghostbusters were an institution like firefighters and police.

If they do decide to reboot the series- this is how it has to be done.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Timby posted:

Moranis definitely ad-libbed some of his dialogue, but like Murray, the extent of his on-set improvisation is overblown to the point of urban legend. From the shooting script:

It's true what they say. The more specific you get, the funnier it is.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I like how it was shot when they still didn't know if they were going to be Ghostblasters or Ghoststoppers.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Don't think this was posted. A reflection on Ghostbusters 2. It seems like the movie could have been a lot worse than what we got.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/67673

I still think with a little script tweaking beforehand Ghostbusters 2 could have worked.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/unfairly-slimed-is-a-fantastic-headline-bravo-1593753904

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Timby posted:

Even based on the script, it's really dark -- he actually goes nuts and tries to kill the entire team. If I had to guess, that was a cut mandated by marketing, because they knew there was already enough scary poo poo going on in the movie (the decapitated heads in the subway tunnel freaked the gently caress out of five-year-old me, and Janosz stealing Oscar from a rooftop ledge was pretty intense, too).

According to what I posted- a lot of that "scarier stuff" was added in AFTER.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah, as though it's possible to forget, that poo poo gave me more nightmares as a kid than The Exorcist.

Even though it was made 25 years ago - the simpler effects like that hold up. Ironically most of the "ghost" effects - particularly from the second movie- do not.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Weird how they're playing their own theme song.

EDIT 2: I always loved just how tall Egon's hair became in the second film. Jesus christ.

Yes, that was very "meta" before meta was even a thing.

99% sure that was a result of 'trying to emulate the TV show'

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Even 5 year old me was wondering why the hell the kids in New York City were still into He-Man. poo poo, He-Man was older than GB. Someone really needed to do a script pass and replace He-Man with Ninja Turtles. Or just imagine they're saying BAT Man.

I know I said earlier Ghostbusters 2 should have been more serious but I think it could have also gone the opposite route- and been much more tongue in cheek like Gremlins 2. Imagine if they had Ray Parker Jr show up complaining how the Ghostbusters still owed him money.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Timby posted:

That "song" bit in GB2 is so fourth-wall-breaking that it's almost painful (Ray Parker Jr. released a single about a bunch of nuclear-powered hucksters who did some cool poo poo and broke even more poo poo over a few months? Okay...), so honestly I wish they would have just embraced that and ran with it.

I cringe every time that song bit happens. They weren't embracing any specific aspect of the movie and in trying to please everyone (kids, adults, the studio execs etc) no one ended up happy.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Timby posted:

There wasn't even a real creative push behind Ghostbusters II -- the movie didn't get made because there was a great idea screaming to be told, it happened because Sony wanted another movie to cash in on the money it was making from the cartoon-based toys, and eventually Ramis and Reitman said, "fine, Danny, what do you have?"

There's nothing wrong with a franchise. On rare occasion, franchise movies can be really good. But Ghostbusters II is not one of them. It's not a bad movie. But it's so perfunctory.

All the sequel-pushing for another Ghostbusters is missing the point -- it's not a sci-fi / action movie about trapping ghosts. It's a comedy about three hucksters (and Ernie Hudson) who accidentally save the world, and just happen to do so while using some nifty backpacks that get used all of twice in the entire film.

This is precisely what it all comes down to. By all accounts Ghostbusters shouldn't have worked. But the fact is- it did. In a major way. The problem is the studio had it's own agenda- to make more money. And instead of continuing the franchise it just repeated itself thinking lightning was going to strike twice.

I imagined a sequel should have involved:
A) A rival Ghostbusters team who end up stealing Ghostbusters business and/or B)A fake/real psychic who communicates with ghosts but his motives aren't entirely clear.

What do we get? A New York City that forgot the events of part 1 and think the Ghostbusters faked everything-- and now they've disbanded so they start at square one again. :downs: :what: :fuckoff:

If Ghostbusters 2 were made today- guaranteed the opening scene would have been a slimer-esque capture scene.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Much like when Arrested Development season 4 was announced- I'm not believing anything until I see a trailer.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

If folks really insist on doing a third Ghostbusters, I'm surprised they miss the obvious solution:

Make it not a comedy.

Ghostbusters is first and foremost a scifi/horror film that just happens to have goofy characters. Its closest analogue is more James Gunn's Slither than Men In Black. So: just do straight horror with the same premise.

I'm talking Prometheus, in reverse. I'm talking Universal Soldier: Regeneration.

Making it comparable to Slither is fair. We don't want a gritty Ghostsbusters.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Who said gritty?

Ghostbusters in the style of Tarkovsky's Stalker. Ghostbusters visit the Overlook Hotel.

That's why I said making it comparable to Slither would be a good choice evening out the comedy with horror. I think to lose the humour is a bad idea and won't work. Ghostbusters is essentially a buddy cop movie except it has 4 guys and the bad guys are ghosts.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

AlliedBiscuit posted:

I am so grateful that every single one of those Ghostbusters deleted scenes isn't in the movie. They are all so so crappy. The couple in the Sedgwick, the hobos. Yuck.

I feel the same way about the Dumb and Dumber deleted scenes.

A lot of it is deleted "extended" scenes, but it makes a HUGE difference.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

Again, I think make Ghostbusters a tv show and you are golden.

We had the cartoon- that's really all we need.

If it were live action, the cast of Brooklyn 99 would be a good fit I think.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Timby posted:

If you take a step back, look at the thing holistically, and say, "Eh, what the hell, what about a cast of women," as it seems Feig and Dippold are doing, then I think there's at least a chance of them doing something pretty cool with the idea.

This kinda got me thinking. We recently got failed "reboots" of Caddyshack and Airplane. So the real question is:

What is worse? An-all female Ghostbusters or a black-centric Ghostbusters?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

Bill would always look out for me to make sure I was okay. With the line, I think the line at the end of the movie, “I love this town”—or some of my other best lines—Bill would say, “Well, wait a minute, what about Ernie here?”

:unsmith:

That article is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

It doesn't sound terrible - just bland - which ironically is much worse. Bad movies get remembered - mediocre movies get forgotten.

• Locked thread