Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm sorry, but whenever I think about "new recruits" or a "new generation" of Ghostbusters I get these terrible Police Academy 4 chills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tacopocalypse posted:

Good news! I coaxed a friend into going. Gonna smuggle a Twinkie into the movie and eat it during Egon's expositional scene.

You're gonna Rocky Horror this thing, is what you're saying.

:v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It smells like São Paolo.

... Is the only funny line in the entire movie

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I love how you can just say "Look for ______" to spot the guys who are trying to be undercover. :allears:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cyra posted:

Ghostbusters 2 has its moments. I think Egon's "I had half a slinky. I straightened it." got the biggest laugh out of me out of either movie combined. That and Louis representing them in court.

"One time I turned into a dog and they helped me. Thank you."

I remember the followup to this being a lot funnier when I saw it as a kid than it appears in the transcript:

"Very good, Louis. Short but pointless."

For whatever reason I always remembered it as "Stupid, but... pointless." Which I've been repurposing as kind of a joke template my whole life. Both things unambiguously negative, but with a "but" anyway.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Please tell me that's him in your avatar. Looks like he could have played Janosz.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just saw it in a completely deserted megatheater.

First time seeing it since I was a kid. Funny how all the line readings come back to you, how a few little things are always a little bit off from how you remember it, and how your sense of humor has changed over the years. I remember when I first saw it thinking the funniest goddamn thing in the world was the noises Venkman makes as he's trying to get the snot off his hands in the library.

(I remember also thinking, every time I saw it, that at that part where Venkman goes "For whatever reasons, Ray, call it fate. Call it luck. Call it karma. I believe that everything happens for a reason" and the music swells up, he's going to bust out in a musical number. I still felt the same way this time.)

Now what strikes me is the fascinating early-80s-ness of it all. Particularly in the filmmaking tropes that are just par for the course for movies of the era. Like the officious, posh-accented guys you always see in positions of petty authority, like desk clerks and waiters and so on. (I'm thinking of people like the clerk at the Grand Canyon in National Lampoon's Vacation, and the waiter in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.) GB has like four or five of these guys—the university dean who kicks the guys out of their lab, the hotel manager trying to keep the guests at bay while the guys bust up the ballroom, and of course Peck. You don't see these type of characters show up in movies anymore, and it makes me wonder whether they ever really existed in real life, or if they were just an invention of Movie Reality that died out with the shift toward narrative realism or whatever you'd call that trend that began in the mid-90s toward aggressively depicting dialogue and pop culture references the way real people do in real life?

Also, lol at Venkman carrying an enormous dose of Thorazine with him on a date.

E:

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

No! Nobody ever made them like this. I mean, the writer was either a certified genius or an authentic wacko.

I'd also forgotten how many phrases in common use these days are actually quotes from the movie.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 31, 2014

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Watching the movie again, I never noticed that the Ghostbusters' jumpsuits are all the same color. I just can't believe the attention to detail here. Things really change with time, and yet they're still really familiar to me.

The years may go by and yet I'll never stop being impressed by my inability to figure out how to not trigger snide ripostes on this forum.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's like you just described the two logos.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I gotta give my six year old self props, though; I may have screwed it all up, but I at least had initiative and balls to do it in the first place. For years, I wanted the school to put on another contest so I could do better. My junior high school did, but at that point I had touched boobs, so I didn't care anymore.

These are the memories that flood back each and every time I hear that song.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Short, but pointless.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

DirtyDirt posted:

I am curious about who they think would even have charisma to make it genuinely funny. I would hate to see McCarthy, Aubrey Plaza, Amy Schumer, or Sara Silverman. I think they are unfunny. I think Keri Kinner from Reno 911 is hilarious, Amy Sedaris has a great manic energy, Wiig, maybe even Vanessa Bayer. It will end up being megan fox and emma stone with mccarthy.

A Ghostbuster take on Weigel would be pretty hysterical, I gotta admit.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ghostbustiers

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fine, I'll say it. Sexism!

"Bridesmaids with ghosts", jesus christ.

loving cackling hens, no one wants to see that, am I rite

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 10, 2014

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Musical vérité

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Timby posted:

Aykroyd's lost the plot, Ramis didn't give a poo poo anymore due to his health (and who can blame him), Murray has washed his hands of the thing and Ernie Hudson just wants his paycheck.

But enough about the characters they play.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Honestly I could never figure out why Winston was in it at all. What did he really add to the story? A few asides about Jesus?

Now I know they were trying to write him out but couldn't quite succeed.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Why don't they just remake that Ghost Busters show with the ape.

Everybody wins

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So you're saying Aykroyd was never not fascinated by Centralia.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Pdlxd_rro

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mantis42 posted:

I was actually surprised on a rewatch that I liked Temple more than Crusade. Although that might have been because I caught it partway in and missed most of the insufferable Willy stuff.

That's because The Last Crusade is a slapstick comedy that 13-year-olds will think is the greatest thing ever, and then be embarrassed as hell when they rediscover it fifteen years later.

Temple of Doom is unabashed horror drek,, which to a kid is either boring or terrifying but to an adult has schlocky ironic appeal.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Khaaaaaaaaahhwhatever.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Antti posted:

My favourite part about this was about Columbia CEO David Puttnam who apparently hated every single facet of the modern Hollywood blockbuster.

Also that word of mouth effect on Star Trek V, wow.

I like the idea that the original GB was supposed to be Aykroyd and Belushi fighting ghosts in outer space.

In other words, fittingly, Men in Black.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Timby posted:

He really was. Dude had no interest in doing the movie which resulted in them coming up with the time-travel idea.

That's annoying to hear, since by all accounts he was absolutely having a ball throughout the first one.

I remember hearing stories of how, like, Will Smith hated the slime scene at the end and was constantly complaining about how gross it was, and in response Jones was all like MORE SLIME :haw:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

i.e. as not a joke, good or otherwise?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

"What's David Hasselhoff?" "He's very big, and American."

That's, like, Douglas Adams levels of absurdism, though. "The blue thing shaped like a policeman"

By which I mean I made the mistake of thinking it was absurdism by reading the third book first. After I went back and read them in proper order I realized the narrative was actually being logical in its own way. It wasn't all just funny words written in unexpected ways for the hell of it.

By which I mean I see why you would read the line that way, but only if you misidentify the kind of humor they're doing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And Poltergeist I presume.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Apropos of nothing—Aykroyd may be a nutcase nowadays, but he can still rock the Bass-O-Matic sketch, if the SNL@40 special is any indication.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

But hey, he can still rock the Bass-O-Matic sketch like no time has passed.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If they need horses in the film I presume they're just going to tape a bunch of cats together.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Avril Lavigne posted:

I could be wrong on this, but I think the '59 Cadillac was a hearse AND an ambulance.

Let me recommend a Top Gear episode for you

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wouldn't it be amazing if ... Kirk died, and Spock yelled KHAAAAN

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's got to be like the easiest way to make a costume designer tableflip or break down in tears.

"Yeah those fabric stripes you sewed onto the suits, they look fake and Photoshopped"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The_Doctor posted:

I see the Shard in London every day. drat thing looks photoshopped into my vision every time.

Heh, I'm visiting this week and saw it in the fog from Waterloo bridge. Could have sworn it was Barad-dûr

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There was an Egon at my college, a couple of years ahead of me.

Weeks after I arrived on campus there appeared a 10-story-high printout of his face on the side of the library.

(this was in 1994)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was on board until "Ohhh, that's gonna leave a mark". What the gently caress, is there some law that you have to use the most hackneyed line possible in a situation like that? Like THAT'S GOTTA HURT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Then again I have acquaintances whose only laugh in Galaxy Quest came from "Ohh, OHHH THAT'S NOT RIGHT"

So maybe they know what it is they have to do

Or I need better acquaintances.

• Locked thread