Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xealot posted:

The ghostprison-industrial complex.

A TV show would almost be more appropriate than a movie at this point. There's already a procedural component to the premise, and now the effects possibilities for TV are so much improved, the need for a feature-level budget is less.

The appeal has always been the characters and tone more than the plot specifics. And TV is frankly way better at this now, or has the potential to be. (Of course, I naively thought nobody could gently caress up a Zombieland TV series, too. Then that Amazon series happened and proved me dead wrong.)

I mean it's basically early seasons of Supernatural but probably more urban areas and with a more technological bent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PriorMarcus posted:

What is up with everyone's affection for this actor? I can only remember her from Friends and a voice in Archer. Plus, I guess, cringingly trying to promote video games.

She's okay on the Whose Line remake.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My only issue with Feig's plan for a third film is that it's looking like it'll be a reboot. Just make a sequel!

Uhhh, why?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Why wouldn't I want a reboot? Because I'd rather see a film that acknowledges past gb events, and moves forward, rather than one that starts over.

What would it acknowledge, given that at least two of the original Ghostbusters are not going to show up in the film and at best you'll end up in a Ghostbusters 2 "oh yeah that's all just made up" style of retcon? (Except slightly less silly because it's been 30 years)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ehud posted:

You can reboot a series and still be tied to the original in some way. Star Trek is a good example with the way they incorporated Spock.

Maybe it's just a matter of defining reboot. I see reboot as a drastic change in a movie or TV series that is meant to be a fresh start. They could acknowledge the events of the original series and even have some cameos but still reboot the series. It would be like a passing of the torch but from that point forward it's essentially a new series that focuses on different characters.

The key sticking point is that everyone knows ghosts exist (again, minus GB2 silliness).

An easy way around this would be to set this new film in a different city (LA, for example) but I don't know how well people would enjoy that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SubponticatePoster posted:

With all of the stupid ghost hunter-type TV shows they could use that as a premise. Fake-reality TV show group all of a sudden finds that ghosts really DO exist and of course nobody believes them because those shows are all made up poo poo.

I'll take a writing credit and 2 million dollars, thanks.

Supernatural already did it and it was amazing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jason Funk posted:

I want an all male Sailor Moon reboot. It's only fair.

And why isn't there a white history month?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jason Funk posted:

Yea... Wait, that's different. We're talking about genderswapping beloved childhood franchises

And why isn't there a White Dynamite movie?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Parlett316 posted:

Give me a list of reboot/remakes that were good

Give me a list of good sequels that were more than a decade from the previous film in the series.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Parlett316 posted:

Rocky Balboa. Now answer my question.

Godzilla.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Ocean's 11.

Ben Hur.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Parlett316 posted:

gently caress. True Grit. Suck it.

Batman Begins.

Dredd.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Merkinman posted:

Of all the successful remakes posted, how many are "like the original...but all women!"?

How many films period are all women?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Alan_Shore posted:

You cannot do a GB film without proton packs, the firehouse or the car. You just can't. It would be like Star Trek without the Enterprise.

So, Deep Space 9?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CaptainHollywood posted:

This kinda got me thinking. We recently got failed "reboots" of Caddyshack and Airplane. So the real question is:

What is worse? An-all female Ghostbusters or a black-centric Ghostbusters?

Worse in what way? You'd probably piss off more nerds with an all-female Ghostbusters but an all black one would be a tad unrealistic (by this time there should be at least one or two Hispanic dudes too).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Those dastardly women ruining our boyhood film franchise.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xealot posted:

I have no particular aversion to Wilson, so I'd hope for that option if pressed.

Why do people seem convinced Paul Feig's version will involve "sexy ghostbusters" in strippery outfits? What of his previous work makes it seem like he'd do that? He's not Michael Bay, and reducing his characters to sexualized mannequins doesn't seem like a studio imposition he'd tolerate.

Because that's what they would do given the premise of "my boyhood nerd fantasy but with women".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Basebf555 posted:

Why not just make a movie featuring these same people with the same plot and just name it something else? The reason is because if they did that then they'd actually have to be smart about homages/references to Ghostbusters, whereas this way they can just use the old logo and throw constant literal references at the audience that aren't clever at all.

On the other hand, naming it something else doesn't fix it being a bad movie (if it is). It just prevents your childhood fascination from being associated with a bad production (which ignores the majority of GB media currently released).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Basebf555 posted:

No it wouldn't, but I feel like without the Ghostbusters name attached the creative people involved in the movie will work harder to make it clever and a legitimately funny movie that can stand on its own merits.

Or they won't (see: RIPD).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pander posted:

It was based on "Men In Black made a lot of money, let's try that with Ryan Reynolds and Jeff Bridges."

Yeah, there's no indication it was improved by not being an explicit MiB film, it was still just a bad movie.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Basebf555 posted:

Any movie can turn out really good or really terrible. I just think the odds are better when writers/directors/producers don't have the nostalgia card to play. Or if they want to play the nostalgia card they at least have to be more clever and subtle about it.
The sheer number of flops I've seen in the past few years (like Disney's attempts to make a new Pirates of the Caribbean) would tell otherwise, even if technically they were adaptations and not original works (but no one gives a poo poo about, say, The Lone Ranger in the 2010s).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mooseontheloose posted:

Understanding that you won't recapture the magic of the original, from a writing stand point don't crank the characters up to 11 which writers tend to do when they have Melissa McCathy (or to a lesser extent Wiig). The characters in GB1 were kinda understated in the first movie, which made it great.

Egon was the only understated one.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CelticPredator posted:

Or even better;

MIB to MIB II.

MiB 3 was pretty good though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I get the feeling it's going to turn out like The new Robocop film where it goes in basically a completely different direction (and does it well) but all anyone will say about it is that it's not the original movie.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Like I keep saying, I have nothing against this all-female cast idea, I just wish they'd cast women who are actually, y'know, funny.

Women are commonly perceived as not being as funny as men.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Merkinman posted:

So that's why Gaben won't release Half-Life 3 :tinfoil:

Legitimately there's no reason to because it will never be anything near what people hope it'd be.

Similarly, even if Duke Nukem Forever had actually been a "good game" it still would've been extremely disappointing because it's a decade (or more) old game.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pander posted:

Ghostbusters fans don't want to destroy Ghostbusters. They want to wrap up the first movie in mylar and destroy everything after it.

Excluding, strangely enough, a poorly produced television series.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Maxwell Lord posted:

Hearing that he knows to give McCarthy something to do beyond "fall down make funny" definitely gives me confidence.

I'm also starting to think the initial reports of the script may have been inaccurate. A "secret government agency" thing doesn't mesh with what we've seen of the costumes and props.

Might be that the secret government agency is the EPA standin.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sasquatch! posted:

I'm trying to get excited about this, but it's just not happening. This is an earnest question: Since almost every "reboot" under the sun comes across as a creative-less cash-grab that just demonstrates how bereft of originality Hollywood is, why is anyone looking for to this? This to me looks like "Hey, you know that iconic and well-loved movie from the 80s? What if we re-made it but they're all women this time?? Wouldn't that be ka-ray-zee?" Again, this is an earnest question...I'm not TRYING to be a wet blanket, but this just looks like another lovely reboot. What makes this NOT just another lovely reboot?

Because it apparently makes nerds like you really angry. Especially since the all-woman thing is pissing you off.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sasquatch! posted:

There isn't a :rolleyes: big enough for this response. Great "rebuttal" when I wasn't even making argument, much less one about women.

What if we re-made it but they're all women this time?? Wouldn't that be ka-ray-zee?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MinibarMatchman posted:

Fantastic Four is technically a reboot and that looks way better than the original. Dredd was eons better than Judge Dredd. Personally I think the 1980s "remake" of The Thing is one of the best films ever. For every unneeded poo poo remake like Total Recall/Robocop/Clash of the Titans there will always be one or two great reimaginations that add a lot of cool poo poo and ideas to an old concept. I wasn't on board with a new Ghostbusters at first but I'm really coming around to it, cast and costumes and car look great and I heard Feige's been on a nice roll.

Robocop was a great remake though because it didn't tackle the same themes as the original.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
That cameo info is a widely publicized rumor already so I'm not really believing it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Which cameo are you referring to? The Dan Aykroyd one was practically confirmed by the person doing the cameo.

Yes, that one. My point is that the most concrete part of the whole post is publicly available knowledge.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hhhat posted:

There's no magic in star wars the force is created by interstellar plants and infects host bodies of humanoids who can then use it to move things through quantum physics or something

No magic at all

:smith:

I'm the guy who confused "The Jedi use midichlorians as a sign and are therefore blinded" as "The Jedi use midichlorians as a sign and therefore that is the Canonical Way that the Force is generated".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hhhat posted:

Guess you didn't see the last season of clone wars. It was only Netflix so that's probably why.

Oh, so a trait I share with 99% of the population who will ever think of Star Wars.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MrJacobs posted:

You seriously think kids, the biggest star wars fans, don't watch cartoons on netflix or DVD?

Neurotypical children are not going to see an episode of a cartoon and conclude that the Force has been Ruined Forever.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lastdancer posted:

I wonder when we can expect a trailer for the new movie; I was surprised to see the new Independence Day trailer was already out this morning, and I thought they only just announced that in July.

Filming apparently finished on Independence Day almost a month before Ghostbusters so maybe around the Christmas releases.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Djarum posted:

I think the biggest problem is they aren't giving people what they want out of a Ghostbusters film.

That's why nerds are upset, but that doesn't mean it's going to be a bad movie.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I would actually argue the opposite. The property was amazing because of the amazing convergence of tools and talent. The original was special because of the cast chemistry and those writers. I've really always felt that trying to make GB into a marquee franchise just isn't what the concept was built for. I think it only works the way "we want it to" when it has those guys and even then GB2 proved that really isn't enough to carry it forward. The original is magical and they shouldn't be

The main complaint with GB2 is the contrivances to erase the characterization of the first movie. That obviously is not going to be an issue with a reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

For dealing with nuclear accelerators and world saving, I'd say it's paltry.

It's about $14/hr, assuming full time work (which it's not).

• Locked thread