Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Peter Venkman posted:

Ghostbusters is my favorite movie of all time. I've easily seen it a hundred times.

I think Bill Murray is the true foundation and anchor of the movie, and shows his complete and utter brilliance. Look at Peter Venkman's character: he's a scientist, yet uses his experiments only as a way to indulge his sadism, and seduce college girls (notice how even after the test subject gets a card right, he immediately ignores the result). He squanders his university's money--Dean Yeager was correct in everything he said about Venkman. He pushes the Ghostbusters idea onto his colleagues, and proceeds to exploit Ray's financial resources. He insults his secretary. He in no way believes in Dana Barret's problem, yet clings onto the case as a way of getting into her pants. He needlessly antagonizes Walter Peck, which leads to disaster. He sends the naive, earnest Ray Stantz to parley with Gozer. He sends his colleagues up the stairs to the roof first, in case of danger.

Yet, he is unmistakably the hero. He avoids taking advantage of Dana Barrett while she was possessed. He convinces the mayor to back them by appealing to his desire for votes. And while Ray and Egon know more about the supernatural, and do all the technical work, only Venkman confronts the supernatural head-on without terror.

It's a delicate balancing act, one that only Murray--and only Murray--could have pulled off.

This post is really old, but deal with it.

I honestly don't think, as a team and serious business venture, they would make it without Peter. He was the wheel and deal guy that did all the dirty legal and political work. Granted the other two brought the science, Peter is the guy that made it all come together and work

My fav scene in the whole thing is the first time they send out Ecto-1, from the doors opening to roll it out to them showing up at the hotel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Stare-Out posted:

That's really neat, love the detail. But the Ecto-1A has nothing on Ecto-1. :colbert:

This.

Ecto-1 was the best, Ecto-1A was what TFR likes to call "tacticlol", just because you can doesn't mean you should.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^ Murray was already pushing from the beginning of GB2 to make that the final movie. They should have stopped at GB1. The only thing I really enjoyed in the second was Lady Liberty walking and the Titanic arriving.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The best we can hope for is that they don't make another film. Murray doesn't come across as a bitter guy, just as someone who quite rightly understands that a new Ghostbusters would most likely be awful.

This, right here. Hollywood has managed to lance and kill just about every remake of every movie they've done with few exceptions.

I see a new GB movie going the way of GIJOE. It'll be a movie (very) loosely based on the original (ie "we used the same character names at some point!") full of Michael Bay explosions, futuristic looking crap and CGI junk. It won't have any character to it and be purely flat like a 2 week old uncapped bottle of soda.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 2, 2013

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Basebf555 posted:

There's a pretty good episode of The Real Ghostbusters where Slimer ends up accidentally inside the containment unit and they have to figure out a way to find him and get him out. Its interesting because the Ghostbusters clearly realize its not a fun place to be for a ghost, but the only ghost they give a poo poo about is Slimer.

Well yeah, and why not? All the ghosts but Slimer were rear end in a top hat villains. Why would they give a poo poo about any of them except the comedy relief?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

MrJacobs posted:

But how did Gozer come back then in the video game when summoned by Shandor if his reality was totally destroyed?

Marketing with a desperate need for a game boss

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

DoctorWhat posted:

Your favorite line being?

Easily would be
"That would have worked if you hadn't stopped me"
Fav scene would be the elevator when Egon switches on the pack and starts backing into the corner

Yeah, Ramis was my favorite actor in the movies, mainly because of his scientific approach that could break into something randomly funny.

With Reitman dropping out, GB3 is screaming disaster to me. Just let the idea die and leave the franchise where it is

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 22, 2014

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Timby posted:

The weirdest part is in the interview Reitman gave about him backing out of directing GB3, he says that Ramis got sick three years ago and they kept hoping he'd get better enough to do the movie. That just feels ghoulish ... like, couldn't they have just told Ramis to enjoy his few remaining years?

I don't know if that's what they honestly believed was going to happen. He had near recovered once and then relapsed. Perhaps they thought he'd get better enough again instead of living only another 3 years

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I will say I'm glad they grabbed Moranis for the part of Lewis, I don't think Candy could have even pulled that part off as good. I mean all I can picture is a forced try to be funny like his part in Home Alone where he says/does something lame and makes that laugh while everyone both in the movie and watching the movie roll their eyes.
I think even going with Murphy would have devolved the movie into some goofy stupid comedy. The very fact they gathered the cast they did made this movie great.

and this was fracking awesome, even now I still want that car
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ38lNWi1jo

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Yeah, it's already been mentioned that the second was just a repeat of the first with a different end boss.
When I first saw it in a theater in Caseville, the first thing I thought when everyone was denying ghosts existed was "What the gently caress? Ghosts terrorize New York for some decent amount of time, huge marshmallow man, and now people act like it didn't happen?"
The best part was when the kids screamed "He-Man". That show was terribly outdated when the movie debuted

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Rhyno posted:

The price of a gallon of gas was $1.25.

Ah, back in the day, when gas was a buck and a candy bar was 50 cents. And the dollar you were left by the Tooth Fairy made you rich

MrJacobs posted:

Or hired by the US government to help them set up nerve gas undetected for a whole goddamned city.

Speaking of the US government, why the hell were they not brought up at all? You have guys running around with weapons that can melt tank armor and blow up all life on earth, and they don't want a crack at those packs?

Gostbusters/Short Circuit crossover?

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 28, 2014

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Alan_Shore posted:

Ghostbusters is my absolute favourite film. That said, I'm totally on board with a third one helmed by the guys who did 21 Jump Street.

I can totally see it working with the right talent like Jonah Hill, if they keep to the same mood of the first, like a sort of throwback to 80s film aesthetics. Everyone will treat Ghostbusters really respectfully I'm sure. They wouldn't even need the original guys in it to work, but obviously I'd love to see them back.

And if it all goes wrong and sucks horribly? Well Ghostbusters will still be the best film ever made. I love this plan, I'm excited to be a part of it!

It will suck badly. The hard part will always be keeping with the original while trying to do things in modern time. Quite frankly without the cast that the movie stumbled on, it wouldn't have been near as good as it was. That's going to be like aligning planets at a certain time to do it again

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Clearly she wasn't unstoppable as a marshmallow man

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

mcbexx posted:

Rewatching it right now after many, many years.
Actually, I don't think I ever watched it with the original sound track before, german tv hardly ever broadcasts undubbed shows or movies.

That's also why I never got the "Do, Ray, Egoonnnnn" joke, since it got completely butchered in the translation (it's "Peter, Ray, Egon") :rolleyes:
(Oh, that's Ghostbusters 2, nevermind)

Anyway, Dana just had her first encounter (eggs frying on her counter) and I only just noticed the bag of "Mr. Stay Puft" marshmallows next to the egg carton.
Huh. It's only been thirty years now...

Those marshmallows are prolly rocks by now

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Crappy Jack posted:

He already got slimed. Karmically he's owed one.

Just like how Ray's imagination gets him both a dream ghostly blowjob and almost brings about the end of all life as we know it. Win some, lose some.

That's how I read it. Venkman gets slimed, collects samples, and basically was getting goo'd on whenever something went down. Now was his time to stay relatively clean

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

MisterBibs posted:

I don't know about any after-the-fact symbolism, but the real reason that Venkman didn't get covered in it was that Murray had a bad reaction to the white goop.

Peck on the other hand...muahahahaha

"We can't get Venkman...well, lets burn it all on Peck, the dick"

The_Doctor posted:

If the video game is canon, he was working on his Ph.D.

That way he can blow up things "scientifically" like the others

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 22, 2014

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I watched this movie again last night. I swear I dunno if I was in a weird mood or not, but when Egon switches on Ray's pack in the elevator and starts backing into the corner I laughed so hard I woke my neighbors in the next apartment

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

MrJacobs posted:

What makes it imaginary? Egon clearly interacted with something.

Honestly I don't recall seeing them ever turn on their packs from the rear anywhere else in the movie, but there definitely seems to be some sort of switch on the thrower.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

ImpAtom posted:

It's the opposite. Nothing happened between the movies. That's kind of the point. Once the big evil mojo was shut down, ghosts suddenly stopped being a regularly occurring things and the Ghostbusters kind of faded into obscurity.

Well, that and getting slammed by law suits, setting up their kids party things, Egon managing to remain respected enough to set up a lab of sorts while Pete went on to get his own TV show

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is the version I grew up with. It was taped when I was six by my parents one night, and they missed the beginning. While I had seen the whole movie a few times by then, I went years and years having not watched the opening part with Alice that much, despite how often I saw the rest of the movie. There was also "What a knockabout-great fun THAT was!" when Peter emerges from the ballroom. Also, I'm pretty sure they cut out the ghost sex.

I still sort of expect to see the commercials that were played before or after certain scenes. Like right after "That wasn't such a chore, now, was it?", there was always a local jeweler's ad. Right after Stay Puft blows up, there's a commercial for In the Heat of the Night.

Ghost sex never made it anyways. Closest it gets is Ray's pants being opened and him going crosseyed

Unfortunately the commercial thing covers every movie that was ever recorded from TV (ie all of them during the VHS era)

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

hhhat posted:

And gb2 was quite alright. Only a few movies ever have been sequels that were better than the first when the first is on its way to being a legendary classic. But I enjoyed it. As a whole flawed but individually so many funnies.

I never expected it to be better, I expected it to be around as good as, which it failed. The whole project's been on hold for so long it's basically pointless to continue pushing for another sequel just to find something lame with flashy CGI that everyone in Hollywood seems to spank over.
If people want another movie so bad, remake the original to get it more modern. But making a sequel because "we had to do something" is just gonna end up as a trainwreck

Jason Funk posted:

This is going to come off as sexist, but I want nothing to do with a reboot featuring an all female or predominantly female cast. Bridesmaids and the like just seem too "GIRLS FART TOO! PERIODS AMIRIGHT!" for me

Pretty much this. It'll be a Charlie's Angels type flop as the women get objectified during it.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Aug 3, 2014

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Boomerjinks posted:

As an experiment I wrote a quick blurb about a short comment made by Aykroyd well over a year ago and posted it to the movie car Facebook page.

It was shared hundreds of times and reached nearly 50,000 people in a day and a half. People are stupid and they will believe and share just about anything without a second thought.

Lol, Ghostbusters grabs a Prius for the new car

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Senor Tron posted:

I don't have much interest in a reboot of Ghostbusters, but Amy Poehler would be perfect for playing Ray.

Having the film as a sequel and not a reboot would actually introduce more story possibilities. Imagine a world where it is proved that ghosts are real, and we have the technology to catch and study them. The Ghostbusters would have become a massive corporation, with franchises worldwide. Like any big corporation it has become stuck in its ways and thinks it knows the best way of doing things. Introduce our new team, who are running a struggling franchise because they don't play by the usual rules. The fact they do things differently means they uncover a threat, others don't believe them and when it's finally proven to be real dismiss them from being involved in the solution. The new team saves the day, are celebrated, cue cameo from one or more of the old cast and roll on the sequel(s).

Eh, they'd prolly mix it with Twister anyways. They'd have rivals they're constantly trying to out show till the big one where their rivals are killed and they go on to save the day. That's about as far as imagination goes in Hollywood

Kevyn posted:

80's era Ford Country Squire. Something with wood paneling.

I can see them doing something stupid like a couple PT Cruisers

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 21, 2014

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Gotta be someone flat chested

"It's true, your honor......this woman has no tits". Jesus, that sounds like an Al Bundy insult for Marcy

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
From what I remember as a kid, Winston just wasn't that connectable. Yeah, sure, he had some good lines and scenes, but he was just that guy that would speak up every now and again while the other three were the action, comedy, focus of the movie. It's not till you get older you start to appreciate his place more than the token 80's black guy. It's really a shame they couldn't have just changed his background a bit and stuck him in early. I still find the idea of one of them being military to be a bit hard to fit though.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^Actually if you were paying attention it was more Murray holding things up than anyone, and that it looks like you'll get exactly what you want, a complete removal of the originals to "let someone else wear the packs". I'm afraid I don't agree though that I'll take anything, even poo poo, as long as it's more. I want quality over quantity when it comes to a good movie and its successors. Making a good movie only to drop turds after just makes it look like a figurative Winston Zedmore; "As long as there's a paycheck in it, I'll do whatever you want".

NarkyBark posted:

Adding him in at that point in the story emphasizes that they've become real busy and need more hands to help with the bustin'.

Other than that, that's a good question. But without him, we wouldn't get "I have seen poo poo that would turn you white!"

I like to think they had poo poo like that written down and figured they couldn't just let it disappear, so they had to keep him

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 8, 2014

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

WeX Majors posted:

But why do people still assume that this is gonna be poo poo, therefore, anyone who wants this movie just wants more poo poo?

I get that feeling because everything now days is flashy blurred light effects mega explosions. Ghostbusters was simple and the effects did their job. The cast was a stumble to get and worked perfect.
Now you're gonna get a shitload of effects that over sell it, a cast that likely won't hit it just right, and from the latest news posted here, we're going for an all woman cast which you know is gonna end up like Simpson's role in the Dukes of Hazzard movie (which sucked hard too)

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Ok, I laughed so hard I near pee'd myself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0pnTm-KK9k

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Black dude. Watch the "behind the scenes" video.

I love how close it looks to the original when they get ready for the final faceoff with "the walrus and dickless the clown"

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 22, 2014

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

feedmyleg posted:

Latino Review has some story and plot details via the Sony leak. Nothing too spoiler-y, but spoiler-ed just in case:

This....this...this is bad.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Try to imagine a movie so terrible it causes every molecule in your body to explode at the speed of light.

Crossing the franchise.....

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Worked for Garfield.

A mistake which he said he'll remember forever. I would think he'd be aware of that type of trap

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Murray stepped in and got really involved in it. re-writing scripts, back seat directing, etc. Prolly wanted to try and save a popular character from a bigger pile of poo poo like the first

In fact, here, from an interview;
http://www.avclub.com/article/bill-murray-says-he-tried-mightily-to-save-garfiel-107056

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 25, 2014

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Yeah, the back and forth thing I've no issue with because i do it too, you focus on certain spots. The eyes going huge before he even really sees is a bit of a throwoff, but not one that kills the moment for me
Egon poking that dude after and the whole "ugly little spud" still kills me though

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
In Michigan the law is, or it was a few years ago that there's nothing about lights and sirens on your vehicle, you're perfectly ok, When you turn any of them on is when you've broken the law. My old work truck had a blue light bar and a siren/PA system in it, never had issues with the cops and wasn't registered any special way

almost forgot, we even have a small club of people around the area that own retired police cars that are fully outrigged with no special permits including one that has the last 80's state trooper Mustang. Even managed to get a new door seal afterwards because the door had been replaced during service, and so I've heard, the state cops issue two logos per vehicle only. If one is damaged or removed it never gets replaced. He had some funny stories about the group going to Canada once and the authorities there went ape poo poo over the police cruisers crossing over. Everything from early 90's Crown Vics all the way back to a couple 50's era Chevys.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 18, 2015

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Timby posted:

Amazing that people are giving up on a movie just because the starring cast members don't have testicles.

I'm not giving up on it as much because of sex as I am that those are some huge, HUGE boots to fill, and given the current styles of movie making, isn't going to be anywhere near as awesome as the original. And no matter how much it's shouted and repeated this is a reboot, it's still going to be compared to the original that it will not measure up to

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I think this is 100% correct.

Yeah, but because you think so to an all female cast you get branded a sexist for it.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Wank posted:

Woah, Bogus Journey is better than Excellent Adventure, right? Right?

I dunno, EA is still my favorite if only for Napoleon bowling a gutter ball and throwing a tantrum "poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo!" in French

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Full Battle Rattle posted:

This is really good, there's a lot of themes I never picked up on. Science versus Religion seems really obvious in retrospect, but it totally went over my 6-year-old head

I love that the guy actually talks speedy monotone like Ray does

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Diabolik900 posted:

While I agree that he didn't meant it the way that guy took it, I think it's an understandable misunderstanding considering the amount of crazy, sexist poo poo that has already been flung at this movie for daring to make the main cast a group of women.

It does get hugely tiring though when this is the default response to any criticisms to the movie.
I'm concerned it's going to be a lukewarm movie when it's done. I really hope it isn't, I want it to be big, but I'm not seeing a lot that gets me excited about it. Apparently that makes me a sexist rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Basebf555 posted:

I don't hang around kids very much, is the average 10 year old even aware of the Ghostbusters anymore?

About as aware that Wiig is a voice actress behind some cartoon character they saw

• Locked thread