Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

It really looks like Murray's trying to build bridges with the Ghostbusters franchise again.

Please let him! God it's so good to see him in that suit :) I am totally nerding over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Kevyn posted:

Reminds me of the time I realized "Go get her, Ray!" was a callback to "GET HER!"

I wondered how I missed it on my first hundred viewings.

Oh wow, first the Keymaster reference and now this.

I never connected either before today!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I just imaged an 80s David Warner talking to himself sadly because of your avatars.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ProfessorClumsy posted:

We need more David Warners.

Very happy to oblige.
Ever since watching Tron as a young lad have I had a movie love for Mr Warner.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
That was wonderful. Seeing Dan so happy gave me fuzzies.

He really is the heart of the whole thing. You can tell that despite being bit too crazy into aliens, that the whole story of Ghostbusters and all the details is ingrained into him. I don't much like Ghostbusters II, or the idea of a III, but damnit if I don't want to see another one come to fruitition just to let Dan loose again.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

echoplex posted:

That loving car. It's like the avatar for the confused mess that GB2 was, both 'darker' and more actiony than the first one, while heading into cartoon territory at the same time.

1989.jpg

Could you go more into that? What's the difference between the cars in the films? Is it simply the stuff on the top or is there more to it?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Icon-Cat posted:

I bumped up the line-height to 135%. Hope that helps! (I finally learned some basic CSS for this project. None of my Web projects will ever win a prize for visual sophistication but at least it keeps me from cluttering things up with eight million social media buttons.)

Reposting the link for the top of the page:

"Overthinking Ghostbusters"
http://www.runleiarun.com/ghostbusters

^ That's right, it's here! Read, enjoy, love, share and write to the National Film Registry! Hooray!

Just finished reading the whole site. I utterly loved it and would definitely have bought the book had you gotten it out in print form.

Really insightful look at so many moments that really helped solidify why I regard the film as one of the few 'perfect movies'.

Thanks very much for taking the time to make it and more importantly, allow us to read what you'd done.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I really wanted to enjoy this film. I loved the music in the Trailers and the second Trailer really stoked my excitement. I'm glad I saw it for free though because I would have regretted buying my ticket.

My two biggest problems start with the writing/humour. The original Ghostbusters setting seemed really grounded and serious. This was wacky and slapstick constant one liners that didn't really do anything for me. Its like the original characters knew they were scientists and in over their heads discovering a new field. In this they seem in on the joke of 'ghost catching' and it seems to affect how all the scenes come across.

Secondly that it referenced so much from the older films that it never let me forget I was watching a reboot of a much better film. I wanted it to completely go its own way and do its own thing. The opening scene with the haunted house was absolutely fantastic! It was unnerving and funny and put me in such good expectations. It was also its complete own thing separate from Ghostbusters. If it had been that kind of thing all the time I would have loved it.

Other things, like the fact that the movie has really odd cutting between scenes and that it turns into a bizarre action film at one point (why are they doing all that odd fighting and going against their own premise that the film earlier established? Why kill ghosts? I thought they were scientists.)

The musical riffs of the theme were dynamite however! I'd love to have them as standalone tracks. Also some of the visuals were wonderful. The mirrors with green faces is truly scary, as was the design and look of the big bad guy. I actually quite liked the change despite it being another reference.

It's weird but the Bookends were genuinely the best parts of it. I've no doubt, however, that it was probably better than the Year One Writers version.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

remusclaw posted:

How characters react to death in movies is something that has baffled me in recent years on the whole. Outside of serious drama it seems to just get brushed aside and this has been a problem in a lot of movies.

The most egregious example of this I've noticed happens in The Core - one of my favourite bad movies. After they lose Bruce Greenwood's captain during a stop off inside a quartz crystal thing, no one really gives a dam. However, very soon they lose Sergei (Tchéky Karyo) the scientist and everyone flips out. I always feel so bad for Bruce because its as if no one cares. It was this movie that got me starting to look at how people react to the lose of someone in films.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I didn't like the film at all but this is the line/joke I remember liking the most and one I feel I would quote in future:

Patty Tolan: [seeing a room filled with mannequins] Okay, room full of nightmares.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

Someone made a really great post in one of the comic threads about rough cuts and how they are literally the full cut of every scene from the shooting script laid end to end, and are routinely hours longer than even would be reasonable for a long movie. So it's not unheard of or even that notable for even comedies to have 3-4 hour rough cuts.

EDIT: found it, it is worth a read:

Just wanted to say thank you for this, as it was really fascinating and I had no idea that was how they did it. It also goes to show just how important Editors are to the final piece as well.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

Ain't my fault some people want to argue an inherently misogynistic perspective and don't want it to be seen as misogynistic.

And it turns out, the shitlords didn't have to tank it. It's Ghostbusters, nobody really cares about it in significant numbers one way or another, which is why it tanked.

Is this a really odd posting gimmick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
GB2 has on our own by Bobby Brown and that was always the Ghostbusters theme to me as a kid.
Even more so than the actual Ghostbusters theme! Maybe because I saw 2 before 1 or maybe it's just my love for a certain kind of 80's pop.

• Locked thread