Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

Paul Allen posted:

There's actually a deleted scene after the climax on the roof where Louis says, "Dana...did we-?" and Dana says, "No Louis, no."

You know. . . If you really think about the Venkman/Spengler phone conversation after Venkman shows up at Dana's apartment, the whole 10,000 cc's of thorazine/nap joke-- I've just always been under the impression that the only way Venkman got out of that situation was by banging Zuul.

I mean, she's in a coma/sleeping whatever while he's on the phone. Then her and Tully "wake up" on top of the roof (his belts undone by the way).

Venkman, you dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
all valid points gentlepeople, but I suggest the following!

Dr. Peter Venkman, doctorates in Parapsychology and psychology, cannot prescribe medication. A Psychiatrist can, but not a psychologist. (There's apparently some exceptions to this, a few states allow a psychologist to prescribe medication if they've finished a separate masters course and so do some military bases.)

Pish posh you say! Writers mistake!

Alright! so lets go with Writers Mistake, and it'd have to be because 10,000 ccs would flat out kill ya-- but that'll just fall into suspension of disbelief for the time being. Dr. Peter Venkman is an upstanding gentleman and charmer.

Hmm. Not quite. He's a con-artist and a master manipulator. When we first meet the guy he's putting another human being in physical pain just to "obtain a date" with an attractive woman, using an ESP test as a cover. Lets go another step in this direction and consider the test itself; Venkman is a pure and total skeptic. College was a great party and hey, now it pays the bills too-- and I've got two buds who do all the work for me! There's no real interest in the test, or what it might represent-- its all about the ladies for Dr. V.

The man loves, no-- nay, is driven by the prospect of sex. He's still a cool dude though, and is definitely a hero by films end.

Now, is any of this intended by Aykroyd and Ramis as the film's writers? Probably not. Though, the idea of mixing business with pleasure isn't limited to this film-- Ghostbusters II features the suggestion that Spengler has been sleeping with the mood slime (you know, for :science: ). There's the Blow Job at the Fort that's removed from Ghostbusters, and is at least something that Ray Stantz is thinking about in his subconscious (thats a whole other bag of eeyyyuuch).

Its not terribly far fetched that the prestigious Chairman of the Largest Paranormal Removal Company in America would deduce that loving his way out of a situation was the most reasonable response.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
I can remember back in the day when one of the rumors going around was that there was going to be a rival group of Ghostbusters that turn out to actually be a fake electronic light show, and the original GBs have to save the day.

That one was probably more fan wishery than anything I'm sure.

As long as we're spouting new cast wishes and all I'm just gonna go ahead and say Joel McHale, Bill Hader, and two chicks. I only throw on the two chicks bit because Aykroyd is usually saying the new busters will be 2 men 2 women this time around. Then again, who knows what the "office" guys have come up with in their time on the script. The current rumors are saying that they're done on the project and its been handed over to Aykroyd and Ramis to polish like they did on the video game script.

I think my favorite thing about all of this current hoopla over Dead Pete Venkman in GBIII is that Ernie Hudson has been saying that Reitman's contacted him about shooting in 2010 for release in summer 2011, and some P.R. rep at some conference in Italy also mentioning that it'd be a summer 2011 release (and 3D apparently), and both of those seem more valid than Weaver spouting the same ol same ol.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

YourEvilTw1n posted:

I remember hearing some Ben Stiller/Will Ferrell rumors about 10 years ago and I still shudder to think of it.

In 1999 when the movie was at its closest to being made, aside from maybe now, the new recruits were going to be Ben Stiller, Chris Rock, and Chris Farley.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

Cage posted:

Farley died in 97.

That's the odd part.

Just kidding. I threw out 99 because that's when Aykroyd made his public departure from the Sony/Columbia Office due to their refusal to greenlight GBIII in favor of doing microbudget films due to Blair Witch Project.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
Ghostbusters: Displaced Agression was/is a pretty fun time travel/alternate timeline romp. I think the series finished up (or maybe not), I haven't gotten around to picking up the 4th issue. It's definitely better on all fronts than The Other Side, and I probably hold it in a higher regard than Ghostbusters: Legion. Worth a read.

There's also a Valentines themed One-Shot coming out called Tainted Love that looks fun as well.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

Hockles posted:

Will Forte and Bill Hader being Ghostbusters would be pretty amazing.

Will Forte and Bill Hader as the Stantz/Spengler similars, Donald Glover as the charismatic new recruit.

I keep forgetting we're going to have to deal with the whole Oscar Barrett thing.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

Timby posted:

My wife and I watched Ghostbusters 2 again last night, and Randy Edelman's score absolutely drives me nuts. It's so bouncy and happy-go-lucky.

The worst part is Edelman scored The Mask and some of the score is almost beat-for-beat exact from the Ghostbusters II score. I've always hated both scores and never really made the connection til IMDB curiosity bit. I really wish they could have persuaded Bernstein to come back, or at least reused the classic theme.

As an aside to Ghostbusters III casting; how about Charlie Day?

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
My favorite interpretation of a scene is when Venkman goes to see Dana who's been possessed by Zuul. The only way he gets into her place is by telling her he's the Keymaster. She leads him to the bedroom, she floats above the covers and all that-- then we cut back to the scene later. The bedroom is in complete shambles, Venkman's disheveled, Zuul is passed out on the bed. Venkman mentions using a ridiculous amount of Thorazine on her. . .

But Venkman's not a psychiatrist. He can't prescribe medication and wouldn't have access to thorazine. Venkman had to bang his way out of the situation.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
I think the implication that he'd have that much thorazine on his person when going on a date is worse then him just flat out sleeping with Zuul, but that's just me.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

Timby posted:

I guess I just don't like that interpretation, just because while Venkman is mildly skeezy and does approach science as a dodge, or a hustle, I don't see him taking advantage of Dana that way. I've always rationalized it by thinking that either Egon or Ray (probably Egon) made sure that the rest of the team carried some stuff in their utility belts (or whatever). "Venkman nails Dana to calm her down" feels very wrong to me.

I'm really not trying to be that geek or anything, and this will be the end of it, but it's not Dana. It's Zuul. She's got him cornered at the end of the scene and everything. I'm not saying I can't see it from the more innocent angle, and the more innocent angle plays up the uh, beauty of their first kiss during the credits-- but knowing where Aykroyd and Ramis were creatively at the time (blowjob ghost at the fort) I don't think its out of the realm of possibility that Venkman nailed Zuul.

I'll meet you guys halfway. Zuul realized he wasn't the Keymaster and lost interest.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

ProfessorClumsy posted:

We need more David Warners.

Requesting thread is renamed "David Warners should've been Winston Zeddemore".

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

Captain Corduroy posted:

I'd love a TV series about a franchised Ghostbuster team in some other city. Get some versatile comedy actors, a good writing team, Reitman as EP, you're good to go.

e: okay maybe that's not as easy as it sounded when I typed it

My spec script/fan fiction idea! nooooooo!

Don't worry Chicago Ghostbusters, no one will harm you. You'll always be mine.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

Rhyno posted:

Rumors that Bill didn't like it were false? Aren't there quotes from a real Murray interview with him talking poo poo about the script?

I think Murray might actually be talking about Ghostbusters 3: Hellbent, Aykroyd's original GB3. That has all of the trappings of the info that's been out there (new recruits, dead venkman, etc.).

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
Ghostbusters III.

Here's how it should be done:

Ghostbusters International is the world's leading supernatural investigations and eliminations service provider, the founders (our original GBs) remain on the board in figurehead positions, and running the Ghostbusters International Museum located in the now historical Firehouse in Tribeca, while day to day business is operated by some other guy.

Venkman's dead, and has been dead for a decade. This ties in to the group pretty much losing their own business since their one business savvy member up and got blown up or something. For a nice bit of parallelism maybe Ray and Egon are distraught because despite all they know about ghosts and the supernatural, Venkman has never returned to them in any form. He's just gone.

Spiritual activity has been on the decline for the majority of the past decade, resulting in a company wide equipment downgrade to simple observational and detainment procedures-- no longer the wild laser rifle lassoing we're used to and maybe something more along the lines of those weird wands Aykroyd originally came up with.

Then new entities start cropping up all across the world-- entities with entirely new and to even our esteemed boys in gray, bizarre characteristics and energies-- and the most occurrences are taking place in the home office city of New York.

The original GBs, and a trusted group of Ghostbusters International Employees (new recruits) break out the old reliable proton packs and get to work tackling this new supernatural threat-- much to the dismay of the aforementioned some other guy who has spent the past decade purposefully neutering Ghostbusters International so he can bring forth the object of his cultism, using Ghostbusters technology-- allowing it to take over our plane of existence with out resistance.

Big monster God type thing comes to town, Ghostbusters have to stop it. Ray and Egon finally get some closure on the Venkman issue (and not as the avatar of God or whatever it was in hellbent), and the originals get their time to shine as they take control of GBI in the end. Also some portal is hosed up somewhere and plenty of new nasties are coming in everyday, and who ya gonna call? a new series of movies.

This is mostly inspired by my hangover this morning, while I sloppily work through a meatball sub.

Also, the some other guy should be played by Ben Stiller since he was supposed to be one of the original new recruits in Hellbent. Some other guy wouldn't be possessed either, just a regular old awful power hungry human.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

The_Doctor posted:

Well, Dan Harmon does want Bill Murray for Jeff's dad, so it makes sense. Ramis for Annie's dad? Aykroyd for Britta?

One can dream. . .

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

Timby posted:

De Cuir did say that the temple set was the largest and most complex set ever built at the time, and I believe certain parts of the shoot required every single generator on the Columbia lot.

Absolutely. The long wide angle shot of the four Ghostbusters walking to, uh, center of the steps of the temple the camera is apparently outside of the studio. The set was massive.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
So, per Variety, Etan Cohen has been brought in to replace Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky for the GB3 script writing job. not the worst choice (tropic thunder, idiocracy) and has produced for Sony before (MiBIII, despite its faults 600 mil worldwide).

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

The_Doctor posted:

Anyone else reading the IDW Ghostbusters comics? I just caught up the first 10 issues of the ongoing, and its really fun! Lots of pleasing stuff all over with references from the films, RGB, EGB and the video game.

If you're not reading, I highly recommend you do. They're currently seeding stuff in the issues that I can't wait to see a payoff for.

The upcoming arc, direct competition for the Ghostbusters, was one of my favorite rumored GBIII plots from yesteryear. The creators are really good about communicating with the fanbase as well.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
Esquire had a small Q&A with Aykroyd recently where he continued to be Cheerleader A #1 for the continuation of Ghostbusters. Nothing new was dropped except for a couple of interesting tidbits.

Tidbit number one is that Tom Davis apparently co-wrote Aykroyd's GBIII drafts from back in the 90s. This might be old hat but I've never heard that and thought it was really interesting to see the lengths that he was going to get a script and product out there.

Now the actual meaty tidbit that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere: Aykroyd vaguely, in his special way, hints that Murray may have reached an imposed opt-out clause in the rights holding for Ghostbusters due to his continual dismissal or reluctance to go forward with anything. Saying something like:

quote:

Well, I have one-fifth of the voice, along with the partners and the other owner of the property, the picture company, and Ivan, Billy [Murray], and myself, and Harold [Ramis]. We all have to sign off on it unanimously — uh, I'm not sure Billy does anymore, since he abrogated his rights by sort of, by saying, two years ago he said, "I don't want to be involved," and the picture company I think had some clause in there that if he actually passed on the third of fourth offer, he no longer has a view of the franchise. So, that's for the lawyers to decide. Of course, I'd love to have Billy call me tomorrow and say, "Let's go to work and start writing."

So if that's accurate-- its always been a foregone conclusion that there's going to be another Ghostbusters film sometime (the sun's heat death is like hundreds of trillions of years away right), but now it looks like it may actually happen (sooner than later and definitely without Murray).

Here's the link to the article http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/dan-aykroyd-interview-14813380

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

echoplex posted:

Something terrible is about the enter our world and this clause is obviously the door.

I was wondering if it was too subtle. Thank you.

Also Timby just help a brother out and send me a copy of Hellbent. I can't find that piece of poo poo anywhere.

Soulwrangler fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Dec 6, 2012

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

Jason Funk posted:

If the ghostbusters didn't successfully send Gozer back to wherever, would Vigo still have tried to come back? Would it just be those two fighting?

Gozer was a demigod and Vigo is just a traditional, albeit powerful, spirit that thought it was a demigod. If Gozer had succeeded there would be no world for Vigo to attempt to conquer (after aging to maturity post baby possession so like around, 2007?) and even in the strange circumstance the two would ever meet Gozer would-- I don't know-- eat up all the ambient PKE energy Vigo needs to be an actual threat? Vigo needs the slime's energy from the negativity of New York, which is probably a type of PKE, and Gozer's whole deal is needing the PKE level to hit a certain spike-- just forget it. They're both the same monster but one is some how more powerful.

Tiamat wins.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

CaptainHollywood posted:

If they do decide to reboot the series- this is how it has to be done.

The late 90's draft of the third film opens with a bar being attacked by a ghost. The bartender reaches for the phone and scans over the speed dial options: Fire, Police, Ambulance, Ghostbusters.

I don't really know how you can do a direct sequel to the original films at this point but I actually liked some of the vibes leaked from Aykroyd's script. Instead of being down on their luck and out of business Ghostbusters was a successful world wide corporation but bleeding so much money they couldn't remain profitable. Also the issue of containment and there being simply too many ghosts for them to store seems like a nice blending of supernatural danger and bureaucratic issue.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
I mean really the first movie covers the main problem with their business model being a capture, hold, and what's part three we forgot back to one. Spengler and the twinkie speech is a forewarning to the clicking timebomb three feet away that is one experimental technology failure (or confused CONed worker) away from the worst case scenario of worst case scenarios.

It's really a shame that Ghostbusters hasn't evolved into the type of media force that even lesser Star Trek has obtained-- the world is absolutely ripe for exploration and the idea that it can all be done with a comedic slant is extra enticing. I almost want a third film for the, uh, franchise growth that could potentially come with it. IDW's GB ongoing is fun but its a bit constricted by the mandated arc cap of four issue stories for the most part.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

The_Doctor posted:

Of course it was! They're using unlicensed nuclear accelerators around the five boroughs! Three Mile Island was '79, Chernobyl happened in '86. Nuclear power running free and being let loose like fire hoses can in no way be safe. I'd wager none of the GBs can have children.

Mueller's Novelization, which is actually a fun read since Mueller went on to work on RGB and the two kinda feel the same tone wise, has a good bit about the packs being turned for the first time in the elevator. Egon goes first, Ray's fillings start to heat up and Peter's hair stands on end till they each turn on their packs and create a protonic field of their own, canceling out the negative effects of the other accelerators.

They're all most definitely unable to produce children.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

SocketWrench posted:

Well yeah, and why not? All the ghosts but Slimer were rear end in a top hat villains. Why would they give a poo poo about any of them except the comedy relief?

Drool the Dog Faced Goblin was pretty cool. That was a sad ending.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
The Destructor Form, Stay Puft, is whatever is left of Gozer's energy that was atomized at the end of Ghostbusters. There's a moment near the end of the game when Ray and the Rookie are traveling through the graveyard level and Ray has an epiphany that all the guilt he's felt about bringing The Stay Puft Marshmallow Man is misguided and that in reality he's actually done their universe/reality a favor-- whenever that energy is brought together and forced to manifest it HAS to use the form of the SPMM. It can never be anything else. While its a giant monster its still made of marshmallow and therefore easily, if not messily, handled. Except for the clones in "Citizen Ghost". That's just ambient PKE. Or something. Love that episode.

Also when you get the monologue by Shandor he's holding Gozer's skull in his hands and playing with it. Implying that not only is Gozer for all intents dead but Shandor has achieved a level of power above it. I enjoy the game for what it is and I admire the idea to turn GB into a "proper" trilogy and all but the Gozer mythology is stretched pretty thin.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

OldSenileGuy posted:

So, it sounds like this might be happening anyway: http://www.slashfilm.com/ghostbusters-3-phil-lord-chris-miller-eyed-direct/

I gotta say, if they're gonna move forward with this thing no matter what, I'm pretty happy it's at least in competent hands. I don't want to see Channing Tatum or Jonah Hill as a Ghostbuster, though.

I don't think Tatum would actually be on Sony's radar just because its hard to imagine this film being top-lined by non-comedians. I don't see how Jonah Hill isn't in a new Ghostbusters with two oscar nominations, a strong comedic pedigree, and history with the rumored front runners for the director's chair.

Chris Pratt in a leadership role would be pretty good though, I'll give you that.

Soulwrangler fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 21, 2014

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
I don't think anyone would go into the creative side of Ghostbusters thinking "how am I gonna get some fucks in here", and especially not the rumored directors/re-writers. Then again they did apparently do a take in the original film with Egon exclaiming "gently caress me!" when he sees the Stay Puft Marshmallow man for the first time, which probably would've been my second favorite line from the film if it had made it in.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
My favorite line/moment is "This man has no dick."

I don't feel like its ghoulish of Reitman and Aykroyd to carry that torch but its hard not to picture the execs at Sony breathing a sigh of relief when Ramis passed, realizing that one of their biggest franchises just became a litttttle bit easier to move forward on a reboot with.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Every time Nothing But Trouble comes on TV, I end up watching it. I don't know why. It's so bizarre and terrible.

Dan Aykroyd's Pennsylvania Chainsaw Massacre is a truly wonderfully odd film. Penis nose.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

MrJacobs posted:

Speaking of the US government, why the hell were they not brought up at all? You have guys running around with weapons that can melt tank armor and blow up all life on earth, and they don't want a crack at those packs?

In a couple of drafts of the script Zeddemore has his extremely overqualified resume read off by Janine. I'm sure Timby will know for sure but Zeddemore was definitely military and has training in heavy weapons (I think), so if you really want to fan fiction it (and I know you do) Zeddemore is either an honest hard working veteran, a lying opportunist, or a spy. Also, while not the Government proper, the FBI is all over the end of the film. Look for the guys in trenchcoats and with ear pieces.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

Boomerjinks posted:

Special effects on par with the Mask, and Stantz sporting a mustache.

poo poo that would be great.

Yeah but it also would've been based on Aykroyd's GB: Hellbent fever dreams.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

Pope Guilty posted:

And eleven-five a year is about $23,400 now. The Ghostbusters apparently don't pay poo poo.

well you get room and board. It just happens to, you know, be sitting on top of a literal hell on earth.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

Boomerjinks posted:

What, you don't like humorous puns like "ManHELLtan," the kind of puns that filled the first two movies and were part of what made them great? :jerkbag:

Hopefully someone, somewhere, has saved Harold Ramis' notes on Aykroyd's drafts and the first one is "Manhelltan? Really?".

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

effectual posted:

Studio must've been pushing an already written script on them.

Yep. Etan Cohen's second draft, per Reitman. Which, I guess, if they're really wanting it to start up actual filming this year is going to be a given. Though Lord and Miller originally passed on Lego Movie as well. Who the hell could Sony even be considering at this point? L/M are such a slam dunk obvious answer and Edgar Wright pops in there but he's going to be tied up with Ant-Man for the foreseeable.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

Nipplebox posted:

I guess I'd be curious to see a live-action series about a Ghostbusters franchisee, like a comedic X-Files. Aykroyd could do cameos.

12 episode seasons to compensate for the budget, it'd be neat. You'd have to think someone, somewhere, somewhen has brought it up in development meetings. I read somewhere, and since I can't remember the source I put it out there purely as long forgotten rumor, that after the film's success there was rumblings of a weekly series that may have gotten as far as casting.

Soulwrangler fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 25, 2014

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
Tombstone is great but you're kidding yourself if you don't believe in your heart of hearts that Dan Aykroyd isn't going to somehow bind his spirit to a gigantic portrait of himself.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

Xealot posted:

The real question is why do we even want more Ghostbusters media?

I always equated it to this: Bond is a super spy who beds every woman he wants and Superman is a God while the Ghostbusters are us, you and me and everyone else. We could zip up a flight suit and put on a weird backpack and stand next to the four of them and not look out of place. We grow up wanting to be Superman and Bond, but we CAN grow up and be Ghostbusters, in a sense. We can be the funny smart rear end with moderate luck with the gender of our choosing, we can be the over excited eternal 10 year old or the bizarrely intelligent desert dry curved straight man, and we're all a little bit Zeddemore. These are the real reasons the film resonates so strongly. Despite it firmly being placed in a reality that is impossible its one of the most relate-able films out there. It makes perfect sense to me that there are people out there who want more, especially in an era that our cinematic/media heroes are becoming increasingly unable to relate to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
Reaper's pilot featured the three main characters in matching jumpsuits dealing with a slimey spirit in a sewer if I remember correctly. It was definitely birthed from the same vibe.

Evolution was originally a hard R horror film that had its script reworked into a Ghostbusters-esque vehicle for Reitman.

Murray isn't interested in doing lead roles in films anymore. While I doubt he's got any interest in another Ghostbusters film past his share of the brand's profits I don't think its a 100% that he wouldn't be willing to appear in supporting capacity. No one knows for sure, especially considering how Murray is becoming more and more of an urban legend all his own as the years pass.

I wonder what kind of research Sony is doing with the limited re-release of Ghostbusters this August.

• Locked thread