Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Ghostbusters 2 is the first movie I remember seeing at the Cinema, and a good part of it was spent with me turned around in my seat unable to look at the screen because it was scaring me so much.

I've always had a soft spot for it because of that.

I think the whole lawsuit angle in GB2 would have worked a lot better if the world at large were now convinced of the existence of ghosts and a whole science had sprung up around studying them. That way you could have the situation where people end up blaming the Ghostbusters for the situation arising in the first place without them needing to be retarded enough to forget things like earthquakes and giant marshmallow men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

ohthatdan posted:

I just always assumed the cartoon was based on an alternate reality version of Ghostbusters where Venkman was played by Steve Guttenberg

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

So fitting in with the late night infomercial idea, how about this:

After Ghostbusters II, paranormal activity went down to basically zero again. The Ghostbusters stayed in business, but now 99% of their calls end up being kooks with an overactive imagination. They still have a business to run and bills to pay however so they run with it. Put on a bit of a light show, spout some technical mumbo-jumbo and most people will be satisfied. The customers problem is solved (in their mind) and our heroes make some money.

Twenty-five years later the Ghostbusters are a shadow of what they once were. Without much supernatural activity to fight their technology hasn't advanced and is decades out of date. Sensing the sinking ship Venkman left for greener pastures long ago, and most of their income nowadays comes from fees from other Ghostbusters franchisees around the world.

Our two new main characters have flunked out of college, and looking for something to do with their lives rather than work a real job. Flipping channels they come across an infomercial spruiking the benefits of buying a Ghostbusters franchise. They decide to jump on what seems like an easy way to make some money.

We get to see the original cast through their eyes. Ray is as hyperactive and enthusiastic as ever, but through his pasted on grin you can tell he doesn't believe everything he's saying. Egon is cynical and tells the new guys that they are throwing their money away, while taking it from them of course. Winston...is Winston. They train up and return home.

They start taking jobs and find it amazing how easily they can convince people their imagined problems have been solved thanks to genuine Ghostbusters know-how. Of course at some point they run into a real ghost on a job, are forced to deal with it, and the problem escalates into a major paranormal crisis. They take on the problem themselves as best they can but have to call in help. The original guys show up and through fighting this new threat together with the new team they rediscover their passion for the job.

Movie ends a few months later with the new pair walking out of an apartment building after a job, trap smoking. This isn't the old trap though, it's new and shiny, along with their new state of the art backpacks. The original Ghostbusters back in New York are obviously back on track.

Our new heroes rack their backpacks onto their Ectomobile and pull off with the siren blaring as the original theme rises up. Some things never change.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

He rejoined the team of his own accord in 'Citizen Ghost' aka 'the creepy one with the old uniforms'.

It's on YouTube!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE8yArpPLy0

I hadn't seen that show since the early 90's, it actually holds up really well!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I don't have much interest in a reboot of Ghostbusters, but Amy Poehler would be perfect for playing Ray.

Having the film as a sequel and not a reboot would actually introduce more story possibilities. Imagine a world where it is proved that ghosts are real, and we have the technology to catch and study them. The Ghostbusters would have become a massive corporation, with franchises worldwide. Like any big corporation it has become stuck in its ways and thinks it knows the best way of doing things. Introduce our new team, who are running a struggling franchise because they don't play by the usual rules. The fact they do things differently means they uncover a threat, others don't believe them and when it's finally proven to be real dismiss them from being involved in the solution. The new team saves the day, are celebrated, cue cameo from one or more of the old cast and roll on the sequel(s).

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

Nothing makes nerd madder than black actors invading their fantasies. Have they ever been cool with a black person being cast in something that comes out of an existing property?

Nick Fury seems like the only major example I can think of.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Timby posted:

Bill Murray held things up, because his contract gave him control over the progress of any new Ghostbusters film (along with Aykroyd, Ramis, Reitman and Sony). If Aykroyd (it's really weird how you refer to them by their first names), Sony / Columbia and a reluctant Ramis had had their way, you would have gotten Ghostbusters 3 in 2000 or 2001, and it would have been terrible.

This post turned me around and made me glad we never got a Ghostbusters 3, because you're 100% right.

I can't imagine a 2000 version of Ghostbusters without thinking it would have just plain sucked.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I just don't find her funny. Besides, my dream cast is Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Aisha Tyler, and Isla Fisher.

I could go for that.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

The mysteries work best as external metaphors for internal struggle for Peter/egon, and as pure episodic set pieces

Are you really dragging some TVIV feud into here, or am I missing the joke?

The looked at the trap line is great, because it not only gives that basic joke of someone immediately doing something they aren't meant to, but also reinforces how out of their depth the Ghostbusters are at this point. Even Egon, who built most of the equipment and is usually calm and logical seems to be flustered.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

I hope the movie turns out to be the original Ghostbusters exists in the new film universe as the 80s movie, its sequel, a video game and a few cartoons series and comics.

Then, the entire film is everyone commenting on their every action, choice and personality and judging it by the standards of what happened in the original film.

Aykroyd and Sony and Filmation lawyers replace Peck as the main red-tape antagonist, showing up and telling them to shut it down, shut it all down, due to unapproved use of the names and trademarks owned jointly by those groups.

I love that idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jamesman posted:

Which seems more likely based on that teaser?

a) "Haha, we're making a trailer for Ghostbusters look all intense and serious! This is a pretty clever joke."

b) "We are absolutely this tone deaf about how not only to market this movie, but probably how we made the entire thing too."

Really leaning towards b) here, since there's a precedent for that with countless other movie disasters. Which sucks, because I hadn't been following this movie very closely and was hoping it would be good.

I'm leaning towards option A, because having a trailer start out all serious and have people call their last resort in desperation and fear gives a good contrast to when the Ghostbusters theme kicks in and they are up to wacky antics.

Looking forward to giving this film a chance, but not optimistic simply because the cast is what made the original. The best thing about the original Ghostbusters is that you can actually see where their critics are coming from. You could make most of the film the same (at least up until the finale) with it being the story of Peter Venkman losing his academic position and resorting to enabling and conning his smart but gullible friends out of their savings by persuading them that they are fighting ghosts.

And that movie would still be amazing.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 23, 2016

• Locked thread