Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
1.Checking/cleaning your chain on the side of an empty road.
2.Honey Buns in the morning after camping.
3.Lane Sharing.
4.How much better music sounds when riding. (How much Gary Glitter you listen to is between you and your god)
5.Naps in gas station parking lots

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 10, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
1. How different riding feels from driving
2. Riding on a bike you've worked on (I hope to find this one out soon)
3. Seeing "the nod" from people who like your bike
4. Having a throttle. Something about it just feels so badass.

Haven't been riding for long and my bike's currently out of commission so I hope to add to this soon.

Myrddin Emrys fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 10, 2009

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

1. Onramps
2. Empty round abouts
3. Steep streets that can be jumped
4. Little kids in vans, cars, and school buses
5. The wave

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Smelling like exhaust and sweat (it's an aphrodisiac you know)

Having it cost 1/4 as much to fill as our other vehicle and go just as far

Good parking spaces

An excuse to wear leather and not look like a retard and/or fag (NOT THERE THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT)

Cheap insurance

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Honking at kids and having them run after your bike all excited :unsmith:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Having a vehicle that will hit 120 from 60 if you're passing more than 2 cars and you're in the powerband, but it also gets 40mpg, and doesn't make the cops look twice.

Insurance is absurdly cheap.

The feeling of opening the throttle on corner exit over rough roads, as the bike wiggles and dances over the pavement imperfections and fires forward like the hand of god propels you.

Making a kid's day by waving at them. :3:

An inline 4 at redline. Especially a 600. 16 thousand RPM never sounded so god drat good.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
1. The utter freedom to go wherever you wish, and bend some car-centric rules along the way to get there.

2. Filling up my 50cc scooter for only $2, and easily sluicing through DC traffic with 70-90 mpg.

3. The looks on people's faces when I tell them of the aforementioned fact. Paradigm shifts exploding through their eyeballs. My scooter is a fine-looking gent so that also helps (Roughhouse 50).

4. The connectedness you have with your environment. This is what convinced me to grab ahold of the motorcycling lifestyle, after 9 years (christ, it's been that long?) of mainly driving a car.

5. Knowing that when my MSF course comes and goes in less than two weeks, I'll be upgrading to a Ninja 500 and experiencing a whole new world. Highways and screaming acceleration, here I come~

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
1. People stopping me to ask me what I'm riding and complimenting me on it.
2. feeling a sense of comraderie with other motoryclists.
3. Walking around looking like a space alien in riding gear
4. Blasting the throttle whenever I want and not worrying about flashing lights behind me
5. Actually owning a vehicles that relatively easy to work on.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
1. Hairpin turns
2. Linked S-Curves
3. That feeling you get when you've gone somewhere way out of the way with a magnificent view and there are no other people for miles.
4. Being able to go from the beach and back again (~100 miles) on less than $5 worth of gas.
5. Opening the throttle, going into a full tuck, and then running all the way to a screaming 12k RPM before upshifting.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

1. How it makes me look differently at nature and go places I otherwise wouldn't have.
2. Biker camaraderie. It's not full-on Foreign Legion bros for life stuff, but more than enough to meet loads of people anywhere.
3. Acceleration.
4. Hunting for "the perfect line". In corners I've gone through a thousand times bef on four wheels without caring. On the way to work.
5. When something broken gets properly diagnosed and fixed.
5.1 Managing to keep the Robert Pirsig quotes to an absolute minimum.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
1. Loving the way road noise and engine sounds can make you not need to listen to music for more than 8 hours. Try the same in a car.
2. I can beat almost any car on the road without even trying.
3. Gas mileage
4. Never a boring ride anywhere
5. Tinted visor for oogling that hottie in the car next to me without them knowing.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
1. Standing over the bike at a stoplight to stretch my legs out
2. Weaving my bike to a good beat while listening to music.
3. Writing turn instructions on a piece of paper to put in my tank bag.
4. The way my bike looks against the horizon when I'm stopped to stretch in the middle of nowhere.
5. Buying a Dr Pepper at a random corner store in Anywhere, Texas, taking a couple sips out of it, and then stashing it in the bottle holder on my saddle bags before putting my helmet back on and riding away.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
1. Patriotism.
2. Freedom.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Every speed feels faster on a motorcycle.

Corners, roundabouts, on- and off-ramps, etc.

filling my tank with only $8

The sound of a Ducati V-twin at full throttle.

Rowing through gears and looking down to see you're already at 100 on 4th gear.

People asking what's wrong with my rattly open clutch is kinda funny.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slim Pickens posted:

People asking what's wrong with my rattly open clutch is kinda funny.

Tell them it's a diesel!

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

1. Waving at kids
2. Resting in the parking lots of isolated gas stations, drinking a soda, gear strewn all over the bike.
3. realizing that I'm grinning from ear to ear 90% of the time I'm riding
4. Riding over long bridges
5. The simplicity of a bike and being able to work on it

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Z3n posted:

Tell them it's a diesel!

I was pulling up to the 45th street exit near Fremont, and one of the bums on the corner came up and said, "I might be legally blind, but I always know a Ducati when I hear one! Those things are louder than poo poo!"

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
• Definitely waving at kids. :c00l:
• Taking roughly the same amount of time to get to any point in LA regardless of traffic.
• Parking up front EVERYWHERE.
• Turning right at a traffic light at just the right time so I can take the corner like I'm the other Rossi (at like 15 miles an hour though...)
• Riding in nice, cool early morning weather.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
1. Getting on the gas. Just romping on it and rowing first through third with it hitting around 14.5 to 15k rpms(15.5 redline) and just screaaaming.

2. Twisty 2 lane backroads. Arkansas has a ton of these.

3. Honking/waving/revving the motor for kids. Loved it at a light one time and this guy had an SUV with about for kids in it all staring out open windows at me. Glace over and give it some good vrrom vrrom vrooooooooooooooooooom at em, then the light turned green and I hear "WHOA" as I'm riding off.

4. Appreciating the journey, not the destination, as well as not having an agenda. I'm real bad about just spurring off to different crap just to check it out. A 2 hour ride sometimes turns into 5+ just because I'm fiddle farting around.

5. Comraderie. I have met some truly AWESOME people in my motorcycle ventures. From a local forum who I've met a ton of friends from, as well as just out riding, it's great to have that connection with others like that. Hell even from this forum, most of the OG goongap bros I wouldn't hesitate to toss the keys to my bike, truck, house, or whatever. I trust them implicitly. I still don't condone them wanting to marry my sister, and I hold firm that until one of them produces a 2009 KTM990 Adventure in white trim as a dowry, noway Jose`.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
You forgot making moderately insane videos.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Slim Pickens posted:

Every speed feels faster on a motorcycle
You know, I actually gotta disagree with that. I'm always amazed how slow speed feels on a bike. It's almost like I could get off and walk, and I'm not really exaggerating. Sounds counter-intuitive, but maybe I'm weird that way.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

1. Cleaning a section
2. leaning the bike to the ground in a berm
3. Relaxing trail ride with friends
4. Getting COVERED in mud in the process
5. Being surrounded by really good riders

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

blugu64 posted:

You forgot making moderately insane videos.

Heh, this too. :cheers:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I love a sore-numb rear end feeling. That's how you know you did enough miles.

The blast of wind you get when you come out to pass an RV.

The gigantic panorama uninterrupted by a-pillar bullshit.

60-90 in about 4 engine revs.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

slidebite posted:

You know, I actually gotta disagree with that. I'm always amazed how slow speed feels on a bike. It's almost like I could get off and walk, and I'm not really exaggerating. Sounds counter-intuitive, but maybe I'm weird that way.

Someone needs to ride an older, crappy bike. My 500 felt like it was blasting off into space at 90+ mph with all the wind and shake and screaming engine noise.

This thread is going to get me to buy a bike much earlier than planned again I know it.

1) Running a bike up to redline just before shifting, that scream of the engine still gets me to this day.

2) Destroying 600s off the line. Its obviously way easier to launch a 500 twin then a 600ss. But most people haven't ridden a 500 twin so launching the 500 at lights when next to a buddies 600 the first few times was majorly fun.

3) Being able to out preform almost every car on the road, on a starter bike. And random wheelies, on a starter bike.

4) Fixing my bike when it was broken. I've never tinkered with cars, but when my carbs hosed up, and I figured out how to fix them myself, and get my motorcycle to chug back to life after a few days was still one of the most rewarding feelings I've ever felt.

5) The look on the faces of others when they see you riding in the winter. And even better then this was seeing the other random biker once a month who was also addicted/crazy/dumb enough to ride during the winter.

That made me sound way squidlier then I actually was. Wheelies were few and far between, and never around traffic. And I'd flog the bike up the speed limit then relax 9 times out of 10.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Now that I think more about it, the acceleration really is the best part of any ride, no matter where I'm going. The ability to just blast off with such a minute input is really exhilarating. And I'm just riding an EX250.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

I remember getting on a motorcycle for the first time in about 4 years. I started going and felt like I was going over the speed limit, then I look at the clock and I'm only going 25. Being in a cage for so long, I forgot what it felt like to be so exposed and have such a big unobstructed view, which made it feel so fast. I'm used to the feeling now of course, but that vulnerability, speed and maneuverability are still an awesome feeling.

I took a girl for a ride once, and she said the same thing. It just feels so much faster the first time you ride.

(That's what she said)

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 11, 2009

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

clutchpuck posted:

The blast of wind you get when you come out to pass an RV.

The gigantic panorama uninterrupted by a-pillar bullshit.

I just realized these 3 right here are better than my first 5. The coolest feeling is blasting through a burst of wind riding at a 25+ degree lean angle. The view is also amazing.... rode through my original home town a few weeks ago, got to see it in an entirely different setting. Really nuts when you realize all the stuff you had been missing for 20+ years.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

clutchpuck posted:

My code to touring is: "You're not having fun till it hurts."

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Backing it in, and keeping it stepped out all the way to the apex.
Accelerating to 14k rpm in a tunnel. (while repeating 'stay on target')
The smell of a fresh forest after a few miles of dairy land.
Wheeling off a crest, down a hill.
Picking a road to turn on by name alone, "hmm upper ridge road sounds promising"

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Zool posted:

drat you now i'm going to start saying that to myself all the time

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Zool posted:

I'm going to do this tomorrow night.

I like

1. That everyone thinks I have a Duc until they get a closer look
2. Waving at other people on motorcycles
3. Imagining what it would be like to be a masked bike crime fighter and head-butting criminals with my helmet on
4. Feeling like the Rocketeer on the highway when I look over my shoulder before changing lanes
5. Everything really. I love it all.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

In no particular order

1. Smiling and waving at little kids to the horror of their mothers
2. Having car doors locked when I pull up to a stop anywhere north of about 12 Mile rd.
3. The exhilaration of the first ride of the season.
4. The freedom of the ride.
5. The smells, both the natural and ambient (trees, restaurants, perfumes, flowers, cigarettes, other vehicles) and the smells of the bike (heat, petrol, leather, steel, exhaust).

Bonus: The camaraderie of riding. On my honeymoon, which consisted of a 10,000 mile road trip around the country mostly on back roads and small highways in a Mazda Protege, I talked to anyone on a bike. We were turned on to all sorts of diners, dive bars, roadside attractions, festivals and awesome roads by nearly everyone. "Oh, you ride, know about motorbikes and you're on your honeymoon? Have you eaten at X or been to Y? Here are the directions. Congratulations! Have a great trip!"

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
1. Camping under dark skies.
2. Making Tie Fighter sounds as I go around corners.
3. Riding through light rain or patchy fog.
4. Acceleration
5. Feeling alone and untouchable in an otherwise busy and crowded world.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
1. No distractions - when you're riding a motorcycle, all you're doing is riding a motorcycle. Not eating chips, not changing the station on the radio, you're just riding a drat bike.
2. It takes about half as long to get anywhere
3. Parking in Los Angeles is not a Herculean task
4. Insurance is dirt cheap
5. The liberating feeling of not being in a cage. True freedom smells like bike exhaust.

Cypher
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran
When someone pulls up beside you in some beastly SUV at a red light knowing full well their lane is about to end or be obstructed by parked cars after the intersection, and watching them edge closer and closer as the light is about to turn green with the intention of beating you off the line and cutting you off to take the left lane.

Yeah, that's not going to happen, pal.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Cypher posted:

When someone pulls up beside you in some beastly SUV at a red light knowing full well their lane is about to end or be obstructed by parked cars after the intersection, and watching them edge closer and closer as the light is about to turn green with the intention of beating you off the line and cutting you off to take the left lane.

Yeah, that's not going to happen, pal.

I don't know man... I would let the suv take the lead. Mainly cause I would rather let the suv with the extremely CRAPPY BRAKING to be in front of me rather in back of me. Hell... anyone that drives a suv already rates as a crappy driver in my book at least until I get to know them.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If they're inching forward impatiently at the light, that already tells you they're gonna drive like a dick.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
In no order
1. Riding around with my face shield up with the wind going all around
2. Just shooting the poo poo with random strangers about bikes.
3. Turning left when home is right.
4. The wave.
5. Jesus christ, I'm riding a motorcycle!!

Really just about everything, not a fan of the rain though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
1) Getting the same feeling of liberation as I did when I first got my car & driver's license in high school; except it's way more fun this time.
2) A sense of adventure with each ride that takes me to unknown places of the city.
3) That feeling of accomplishment and pride when the bike's totally cleaned & polished and looking good.
4) Everything else.

• Locked thread