Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Garbage Day posted:

Streets of Blood (2009) attempts to depict the lawless streets of post-Katrina New Orleans, but it serves primarily to spotlight the squalid careers of co-stars Val Kilmer and Sharon Stone. Kilmer, an ambiguously good/bad/who cares cop, partners with a typically incoherent 50 Cent as the protagonists driving an uninteresting double-cross/conspiracy plot.

Stone, playing a psychiatrist, prattles to her patients in an impenetrable Louisiana patois, but this doesn't matter because her scenes are completely superfluous, save one. Stone visits the office of Droopy Dog character actor Barry Shabaka Henley, here amusingly named Captain Friendly. The conversation isn't nearly as interesting as the backdrop: Friendly's office contains numerous bizarre wall hangings one wouldn't expect to find at the precinct. He also has a giant book on his desk that reads "Police Officers." Also, a seemingly accidental flatulent noise resonates during one of Stone's lines. Because of this lone scene's considerable entertainment value, I'll give it a charitable 1/5.

p.s. Genre fans might be curious about the violence/sex content of any police thrillers. In this one, you get a few unremarkable shootouts, shot in a jittery fashion (and, in flashback, with jarring color filters). There's plenty of nudity, but it's provided entirely by crack-whore characters, one of whom simulates fellatio on a rifle. Dubious as a date movie!

In the next couple of months, Kilmer is starring with:

Armand Assante and Eric Roberts (The Steam Experiment)
Cuba Gooding Jr. (Hardwired)
Kris Kristofferson and Hilary Duff (Provinces of Night)

His only legit, theatrically-released job in the last four years is Deja Vu. What happened, Val?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

jjack229 posted:

I saw this trailer on the Blood and Bones DVD a few weeks back. Val Kilmer has been in B-movie hell for a while, but I was a little surprised to see Cuba Gooding Jr. in the trailer, I never watched his movies, but didn't he win an Oscar or something once, what happened to his career?

Cuba Gooding Jr. is basically releasing a movie a month straight-to-DVD. He's taken the throne from Seagal. He stars with such A-list superstars as Christian Slater, Harvey Keitel, Ray Liotta, Ron Perlman and Kilmer in them.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

gfarrell80 posted:

Also recently watched Walker. A truly odd 1987 film by Alex Cox, starring Ed Harris. I absolutely loved Repo Man, so I've been watching Cox's other stuff. This was not as good as Repo Man, but it would still be worth a watch. I would say it got a little too belabored with the message at the very end with an extended 'burn the town down' scene, and a couple anachronistic things that were left in intentionally I think were poor judgement; however, fun film that could have been paced a little better. Also based on a real guy who was apparently a complete nut, great stuff. If we do not learn from History, we are doomed to repeat it. And yet here we are again, ah well.

Watch Straight to Hell.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007
With all due respect, how do the people in here find the time to watch 10-ish movies every three days? Do you not have jobs and things of that nature?

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Nick Cave himself showing up as a ballad singer was kinda unnecessary, though.

There's a similar character singing the same song in Fuller's I Shot Jesse James, so I'm pretty sure that's a direct reference.

• Locked thread