Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Are there any "must read" books about composition I should read? My birthday is coming up and people are asking for gift ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

psylent posted:

Are there any "must read" books about composition I should read? My birthday is coming up and people are asking for gift ideas.

The Photographer's Eye seems to be pretty well recommended.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

What does anyone think is the best (Windows based) program for tagging massive amounts of flickr images? I have a bunch of images that have little or no tags and I'd like to fix this as easily as possible without having to look at each image and adding many blanket tags and individual tags.

I'd like to select a wide group of images and tag them all with the same thing, then go through each and tag them with specifics.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

DJExile posted:

The Photographer's Eye seems to be pretty well recommended.

By Michael Freeman or John Szarkowski?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Interrupting Moss posted:

What does anyone think is the best (Windows based) program for tagging massive amounts of flickr images? I have a bunch of images that have little or no tags and I'd like to fix this as easily as possible without having to look at each image and adding many blanket tags and individual tags.

I'd like to select a wide group of images and tag them all with the same thing, then go through each and tag them with specifics.

flickr has a built in organizer that can batch add tags to multiple images, you just pick the ones you want and tag away.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
drat, I just discovered the adjustment brush in Lightroom. Baby, where you been all my life?

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Interrupting Moss posted:

You want to tag the images from within flickr, or tag them in software and then upload them to flickr?

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Flickr automatically adds metadata tags, so if you add them in lightroom they will show up on flickr.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Saw this last night:

quote:

Stitch Yourself a Thinner Depth-of-Field

This is the Poulnabrone Dolmen in Ireland. It's a tomb, and large enough for men to fit comfortable inside. Normally to get a thin depth-of-field around something so large, you'd have to stand way back and use a super-telephoto lens, which wouldn't give you the perspective of the surrounding countryside. Is there a way, I asked myself, to use a telephoto lens on a large object and not have to stand far away? You bet there is: panorama stitching.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/blog/post/PLNK1JWPN65CVOSZV

I've been following this guy's work for some time now, and he's a pretty good wedding photographer. Anyway, the technique he outlines above is interesting, but I'm not sure I fully get it.

I think what he's trying to say is that by opening up your aperture as wide as you can and turning a regular shot into a panorama, you simulate the effects of a larger sensor because the image becomes larger but the depth remains the same...

Is that right?

Here are two more he put together using this same technique:

What do you guys think of this?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I think that's pretty clever. I've done similar tricks to open up a matte before, but nothing as meticulously-planned like that. Sounds insane, but the end result is very :cool:.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Mannequin posted:

Saw this last night:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/blog/post/PLNK1JWPN65CVOSZV

I've been following this guy's work for some time now, and he's a pretty good wedding photographer. Anyway, the technique he outlines above is interesting, but I'm not sure I fully get it.

I think what he's trying to say is that by opening up your aperture as wide as you can and turning a regular shot into a panorama, you simulate the effects of a larger sensor because the image becomes larger but the depth remains the same...

Is that right?

Here are two more he put together using this same technique:

What do you guys think of this?

It looks cool, but honestly it seems like an LF camera would deliver pretty similar results and be less time consuming.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I really don't get how he's done some of them if I'm understanding it right.
It's a ton of photos stitched together, but how in the people ones haven't they moved??

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

A5H posted:

I really don't get how he's done some of them if I'm understanding it right.
It's a ton of photos stitched together, but how in the people ones haven't they moved??
I was confused about the same thing..

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
In one of the comments somebody asks about this and he explained they have to hold still for a minute. Even though they move a little bit it's "close enough" for Photoshop to match everything up.

My question, though, is whether or not I actually understand the technique to begin with. He doesn't really explain it very well in his article, and I just sort-of interpreted it. But I am curious about it, so I'll reach out to him and see if he responds.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
It sounds straight forward enough. Shoot wide open, manually focus on the subject (or use auto then click over to manual), then take a ton of shots to completely cover the subject as you would with a panorama. This lets you use a longer focal length so you get the smaller DoF but you don't have to be really far back from the subject.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

You also get a perspective that you mostly see with large format.

edit: i'm not sure perceptive is the right word but whatev

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

notlodar posted:

You also get a perspective that you mostly see with large format.

edit: i'm not sure perceptive is the right word but whatev

Yeah, I think it's the effect of having very shallow depth of field without flattening the image like a telephoto would. At least, that what it looks like to me.

edit: Yeah, notlodar's got it. It looks like a large format photo... although why you wouldn't just use a 4x5" I'm not sure.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Couldn't you just bluff it in photoshop?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
^^^I thought the same thing, I suppose it's trickier since you're trying to create a photo that is traditionally impossible, there's a handicap on the frame of reference; it's harder to fake something you haven't seen.

Radbot posted:

Yeah, I think it's the effect of having very shallow depth of field without flattening the image like a telephoto would. At least, that what it looks like to me.

edit: Yeah, notlodar's got it. It looks like a large format photo... although why you wouldn't just use a 4x5" I'm not sure.
As he explains, there are no MF lenses that are that fast. Whatever the science reasons behind the technical limitation, it remains a limitation, those lenses don't exist. It's very cool and I'd love to try it.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Well, using a 4x5 is a pain, and how many 4x5 setups are digital and affordable at the same time? I really don't know to be honest, but at least with digital you can get the results pretty quickly. As far as faking it in Photoshop, I think it's hard to fake shallow depth in Photoshop without a lot of work.

I found a better write-up of this technique here and the photographer giving a video overview of how it works on facebook, here. (Here is a video of him doing it on flickr). From the video, you can see it only takes 10-20 seconds to acquire the shots needed for the panorama, and it probably takes 10-30 minutes of photoshop work later?

Eh.. it's an interesting idea I guess, which might be useful for certain key shots that are important.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Can't you do something similar to this with the DoF stacking in CS4? Seems like that would be easier.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
I think that increases the dof, not decrease it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mannequin posted:

In one of the comments somebody asks about this and he explained they have to hold still for a minute. Even though they move a little bit it's "close enough" for Photoshop to match everything up.

Yeah, as long as you shoot the people first they don't need to be rock steady. Personally I'd be more worried about shooting something you have no control over, like something in focus that's swaying in the breeze or whatnot.

Neuromancer 2.0
May 21, 2004
How are these two items for sensor cleaning?

Rocket Air Blaster
Lenspen Sensor Klear

Reviews seem to be pretty good. Thanks.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

crono930 posted:

How are these two items for sensor cleaning?

Rocket Air Blaster
Lenspen Sensor Klear

Reviews seem to be pretty good. Thanks.

I've never heard a bad word about the rocket. I'd be a little iffy about something physical touching my sensor (i.e. that brush), but that's just me.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Mannequin posted:

Well, using a 4x5 is a pain, and how many 4x5 setups are digital and affordable at the same time? I really don't know to be honest, but at least with digital you can get the results pretty quickly. As far as faking it in Photoshop, I think it's hard to fake shallow depth in Photoshop without a lot of work.

I found a better write-up of this technique here and the photographer giving a video overview of how it works on facebook, here. (Here is a video of him doing it on flickr). From the video, you can see it only takes 10-20 seconds to acquire the shots needed for the panorama, and it probably takes 10-30 minutes of photoshop work later?

Eh.. it's an interesting idea I guess, which might be useful for certain key shots that are important.

I would think that with enough practice, this wouldn't be so difficult. He mentioned using small jpeg format. If you take a bunch of small resolution pictures and put them together, do they form a normal full resolution shot eventually? I mean if he does this for clients, I assume that it blows up to a 8x12 nicely.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I would think that with enough practice, this wouldn't be so difficult. He mentioned using small jpeg format. If you take a bunch of small resolution pictures and put them together, do they form a normal full resolution shot eventually? I mean if he does this for clients, I assume that it blows up to a 8x12 nicely.

I'd say that's the idea exactly.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I assume that it blows up to a 8x12 nicely.

I think he crops everything to 8x10 or 4x5.

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...

Mannequin posted:

Use some fuji instant 4x5 film in some big old hand-carried speed graphic, or better yet, an old polaroid land camera, you have a beautiful colour print in about 45 seconds (that will scan to about 15 MP of resolution on a cheap flatbed, or 28ish for 4x5) at a cost of about a dollar (two dollars for 4x5), then consider the cost of a half hour of your time spent stitching in photoshop.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
There are some pretty awesome free auto stich programs out there in case you'd rather not do it yourself.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

dunno posted:

Use some fuji instant 4x5 film in some big old hand-carried speed graphic, or better yet, an old polaroid land camera, you have a beautiful colour print in about 45 seconds (that will scan to about 15 MP of resolution on a cheap flatbed, or 28ish for 4x5) at a cost of about a dollar (two dollars for 4x5), then consider the cost of a half hour of your time spent stitching in photoshop.

Ah but then you would have to carry a large camera on an engagement shoot. There is a benefit to a simplified kit when you are on the move with a couple. Large camera and tripod and careful set ups tend to bore normal people. A lot of couples get antsy in the time it takes to set up a light stand and flash.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

dunno posted:

the cool thing for me was not the fact that, yes, you could use a MF camera, but this photographer created his own process for it. not only that, he actually shared it with the rest of the world. you have to give him props for those two things.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

How do you shoot images in a nightclub that look 'cool' and not necessarily photographically great? Is it just, use the flash, open the shutter for a while and then move the camera around a bit once the flash has fired to get light trails and poo poo?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

A5H posted:

How do you shoot images in a nightclub that look 'cool' and not necessarily photographically great? Is it just, use the flash, open the shutter for a while and then move the camera around a bit once the flash has fired to get light trails and poo poo?

yea thats pretty much it. I stopped down to about 5.6/8 to make sure i had everything in focus, I also like to bounce my flash of something, I have a stofen omni bounce and just point it toward the ceiling. Wide angle lenses also help get that look, its just more fun to get whole bodies with arms and legs and booths and tables. it took me a couple frames to get the flash power right, but after that it was just adjusting the shutter speed for letting in more or less ambient and swirly lights.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

A5H posted:

I think you can use the speed light's second shutter sync. It basically sets the flash to fire near the end of the shutter cycle instead of the usual right after the initial shutter opening.

something like this http://digital-photography-school.com/an-explanation-of-2nd-curtain-sync-flash-or-slow-sync-flash ?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's easier with front curtain, but you can do both. Rear curtain can look nicer.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Sweet cheers guys :)

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

evil_bunnY posted:

It's easier with front curtain, but you can do both. Rear curtain can look nicer.

with people, i would think front curtain is easier, because they expect the flash right away. when people pose for a picture they only hold it for a moment and then move away. if you had it on rear curtain, you might miss the posed shot depending on how long you open the shutter.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
The club shot with swirly lights is becoming really overused and stale. I still do it at parties every once and awhile because it's unpredictable and fun, but it's basically easy to do technically so everyone does it. I couldn't think of pro examples, but poster Already Bored has some good work lately doing night life in a different direction.

Not discouraging you A5h, just saying a thing that needs to be said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!

A5H posted:

I have a few nightclub here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/luisx_net/sets/72157601441159508/

Some of them have a description on how I did it.