Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
Cards like this:

used in viewers like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Filter question, I recently got a 2 stop ND filter and on overcast days or in the shade its great for making long exposures but its not usually enough in bright sun. I was thinking about a variable ND filter and was wondering if they are worth the extra money.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Filter question, I recently got a 2 stop ND filter and on overcast days or in the shade its great for making long exposures but its not usually enough in bright sun. I was thinking about a variable ND filter and was wondering if they are worth the extra money.

Variable nd's are usually a video thing to maintain SS/aperture in changing light. The IQ out of them is not that great for stills unless you buy the 400$ Singh Ray one. Just get an ndx400 if you want a screw in, or a big stopper if you have lee drop ins.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
It's much easier to make a set of ND filters (2 and 4 stop seem pretty common) that don't mess with colours too much and don't have any weird distortions or unevenness than it is to make a variable ND with similarly high optical quality. I have a cheap variable ND and it's a fun toy but I wouldn't use it for any photograph I really cared about. Pick up a 4-stop to go with your 2 and stack them.

rorty
Oct 13, 2010
I work in and around contemporary art and I'm interested in interior photography, specifically the interiors of exhibitions. As an academic pursuit (my research and specialties on the academic side are about exhibition design and history), an excuse to spend more time in galleries that will have me and maybe a professional sideline at some point. I've been taking camera phone photos in and around the exhibition I've been working on lately with the intent of doing a little photo and I'm really pleased with how they turned out, I'd like to start looking into how to do it properly.

I'm not skilled as such but I'm completely competent with a DSLR in normal circumstances but I've never used a tripod before or taken anything other than snapshots. I have a rough knowledge of how cameras function and I'm very technically minded.

Now where the gently caress do I start? Is there a go-to text for architectural/interior photography? Do you know anybody who does similar? Etc. I know I'll need a tripod and some particular lenses. Even good people to look at in this line of photography would be helpful.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Search for "woot fatigue".

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Anyone have an idea of a reputable place to get c-26 film developed? My fiancee found an old toy camera that belonged to her dad. Figure it likely won't turn out, but worth a shot.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Search for "woot fatigue".

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

TequilaJesus posted:

Anyone have an idea of a reputable place to get c-26 film developed? My fiancee found an old toy camera that belonged to her dad. Figure it likely won't turn out, but worth a shot.

These guys might be worth a shot:
http://www.filmrescue.com/old-still-film-developing/

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

rorty posted:

I work in and around contemporary art and I'm interested in interior photography, specifically the interiors of exhibitions. As an academic pursuit (my research and specialties on the academic side are about exhibition design and history), an excuse to spend more time in galleries that will have me and maybe a professional sideline at some point. I've been taking camera phone photos in and around the exhibition I've been working on lately with the intent of doing a little photo and I'm really pleased with how they turned out, I'd like to start looking into how to do it properly.

I'm not skilled as such but I'm completely competent with a DSLR in normal circumstances but I've never used a tripod before or taken anything other than snapshots. I have a rough knowledge of how cameras function and I'm very technically minded.

Now where the gently caress do I start? Is there a go-to text for architectural/interior photography? Do you know anybody who does similar? Etc. I know I'll need a tripod and some particular lenses. Even good people to look at in this line of photography would be helpful.

Super wide lenses, tilt shift / perspective control lenses, gelling lights, adding flashes to the scene to supplement or override the existing light, panoramic stitching, and, if you're feeling crazy, masking out and adjusting individual parts of the scene in Photoshop to have control over every aspect of the image.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

dakana posted:

Super wide lenses, tilt shift / perspective control lenses, gelling lights, adding flashes to the scene to supplement or override the existing light, panoramic stitching, and, if you're feeling crazy, masking out and adjusting individual parts of the scene in Photoshop to have control over every aspect of the image.
Emphasis added, here's the explanation: A couple of years ago forum user Woot Fatigue posted a detailed response when somebody asked about his workflow. It included a zen/fugue-like state in which he would allow time to disconnect from his consciousness as he created a photoshop image with literally hundreds or thousands of layers and individually tweaked the characteristics of each component for a period that, to the outside world, registered as several days.

Seriously, take a picture of a typical house interior, like a living room tastefully decorated and nicely lit. Imagine that photo took several hours to shoot, with lots of test shots, light metering, adjustments, waiting for just the right daylight coming through that window, etc. Now select every single loving thing in that image - the bowl on the coffee table, the lightswitch, each key on the piano - and agonize over the levels on each and every layer to create EXACTLY the scene you want.

I'm pretty sure he's better now, last year he raised a family of baby raccoons and that seems to have helped. That, and the Porsche.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
I'm pretty sure he had a collection of specific lightbulbs that he replaced everything in room with before taking the shots too.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I remember that post, when he printed film he would meticulously cut out cardboard masks of every individual shape of whatever he had shot.

Meanwhile I'm like, photoshop? :effort:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I clearly need to get an archives upgrade

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Woot Fatigue: Lemme show you how to max out layers in PS.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3227180&userid=114841#post370694612

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Thanks for finding it! Too bad the photos are gone from flickr :<

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

:stare: That is a special kind of crazy.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

rawrr posted:

Thanks for finding it! Too bad the photos are gone from flickr :<

It's still there, but probably just updated at some point and the link broke.

AUTOMATIC LOFTS by Brad Gillette, on Flickr

EDIT: The screenshot one is gone though.

William T. Hornaday fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 21, 2014

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

William T. Hornaday posted:

It's still there, but probably just updated at some point and the link broke.

AUTOMATIC LOFTS by Brad Gillette, on Flickr

EDIT: The screenshot one is gone though.

There's some uncanny valley poo poo happening here

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's not his best one, some the later stuff he posted is pretty much perfect.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Yeah, don't let appearances of insanity from a few years ago distract you from the fact that Woot Fatigue is a really excellent photographer. The man can put together a photo that will make money gush from one bank account to another. That's an extremely useful skill.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

And if you follow his IG you get to see what he spends it on. :getin:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

xzzy posted:

That's not his best one, some the later stuff he posted is pretty much perfect.

cocaine is a helluva drug.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

ExecuDork posted:

I was going to agree with this (FRICKIN' LASERS!!!) but then I found a great way to save money:

Bokeh backdrop

Now you don't need to waste money on super-fast lenses! Any old kit lens shooting at f/11 now comes with creamy-smooth bokeh!

As an update, Lastolite released a whole mess of these things:

http://www.lastolite.us/out_of_focus_backgrounds

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
I get that you'd like to be able to take an outdoors-looking shot in the studio, but man those images look so fake.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Could someone please dumb down this paragraph about 18% reflectance? The part about seeing in black and white. I don't really understand what that means.

Your camera’s light meter (whether center-weighted, matrix/ evaluative, or spot) does not “see” the world in either living color or black and white but rather as a neutral gray. In addition, your reflected-light meter is also calibrated to assume that all those neutral-gray subjects will reflect back approximately 18% of the light that hits them.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

huhu posted:

Could someone please dumb down this paragraph about 18% reflectance? The part about seeing in black and white. I don't really understand what that means.

Your camera’s light meter (whether center-weighted, matrix/ evaluative, or spot) does not “see” the world in either living color or black and white but rather as a neutral gray. In addition, your reflected-light meter is also calibrated to assume that all those neutral-gray subjects will reflect back approximately 18% of the light that hits them.

Your camera doesn't see colors. It sees how much light is in the scene, and your camera wants to make everything sorta grey. If it is black, your camera light sensor wants to make it grey, so you need to FORCE it to underexpose so it shows up black. If it is white, your camera wants to make it grey so you need to FORCE it to overexpose so it shows up white.

Those are the extremes and the very basics. You can then look at a scene like a forest scene, and think "Oh, this scene is darker than grey, so I want to underexpose from what my camera says so that it looks right".

edit: This is the grey that your camera wants to make everything.

If your scene is lighter than that, your camera will darken the scene and it won't be a "correct" interpretation of the scene. If your scene is darker than that, your camera will lighten the scene and it won't be "correct".

Try this out: take a picture of a piece of printer paper in Program mode so that it fills the frame, and compare the image on your camera to the paper in real life.

Hokkaido Anxiety fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 27, 2014

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I am by no means a pro but this is my understanding:

Basically it's saying that the camera's light meter is calibrated in such a way that when perfectly balanced/centered, the amount of light entering the camera (bounced off the scene you're shooting and onto the sensor) is the equivalent to if the scene was just purely 18% of the way to completely dark/black (from pure white/blank). Google around for 'grey cards' and what principle they're based on for further explanation.

Alternatively, take a photo of a clean white surface and also a pure black surface and you'll find, if metered to dead center, they'll both be the exact same shade of grey (18%). Imagine taking one of your shots, making it black and white, then blending it all together until it is completely uniform in shade. That shade, if your shot was perfectly centered via your light meter, would be 18% grey.

e:fb

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The camera's light meter is effectively averaging the intensity of light hitting every pixel on the sensor (ie, a histogram) and comparing it to a reference value (which is the 18% grey). If the average is less than the reference, it suggests a longer exposure. If the average is higher, it suggests a shorter.

For creative reasons the photographer may not want a perfectly balanced scene, so it's up to you to develop the experience to interpret what the camera is telling you.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

That said, meters do a whole goddamn lot more than that in newer cameras. That's still how it works at a basic level though. Most decent ones have a massive bank of "common scenes" (because most people aren't all that creative), so they try to match what the meter sees (which actually does see in color, and is more of a tiny imaging sensor than a light meter), work out what it is you're trying to do, and apply a metering profile that will get you the result you want.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 27, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

timrenzi574 posted:

Variable nd's are usually a video thing to maintain SS/aperture in changing light. The IQ out of them is not that great for stills unless you buy the 400$ Singh Ray one. Just get an ndx400 if you want a screw in, or a big stopper if you have lee drop ins.

I've never seen anyone use a variable ND to control exposure like that. Most people use them because you're stuck to 180 degree shutter in video and nobody makes an ISO 25 camera so you need a ridiculous amount of ND just to shoot at f2.

For video I like the Heliopan one.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

1st AD posted:

I've never seen anyone use a variable ND to control exposure like that. Most people use them because you're stuck to 180 degree shutter in video and nobody makes an ISO 25 camera so you need a ridiculous amount of ND just to shoot at f2.

For video I like the Heliopan one.

I stand corrected. I assumed people must want the variable functionality to be able to adapt else they'd buy a really dark fixed one.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Some cameras like the Alexas and the Blackmagics have a native ISO of 800 and if you want to maximize your headroom in the shadows and highlights you'd need to be able to quickly adjust exposure for different scenes and lenses.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Is the Canon 70-200 F2.8 II really worth another grand on top of the Tamron or Sigma offerings? I'm not a professional, so I'm leaning towards it not being worth the upgrade for my use case. Does anyone have a take on the Tamron versus Sigma?

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 30, 2014

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

NeuralSpark posted:

Is the Canon 70-200 F2.8 II really worth another grand on top of the Tamron or Sigma offerings? I'm not a professional, so I'm leaning towards it not being worth the upgrade for my use case. Does anyone have a take on the Tamron versus Sigma?

I've been wondering the same thing. It looks like the tamron is generally considered slightly better. It is also slightly more expensive, but you do get a 6 year warranty.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

NeuralSpark posted:

Here is a solution. Rent them all. You forget the resale value of lenses is better than the resale value of bodies. You may throw 2200bux today, but in 4 years you can probably get 1800ish. Do not expect the tammy/sigma to retain value in the same manner.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

NeuralSpark posted:

There is no Pentax-brand 70-200/2.8 currently, but the Sigma and Tamron offerings are available for Pentax so PentaxForums did a head-to-head comparison of them. Obviously that doesn't provide any input to your question about the relative value of the Canon, but it might give you some ideas for things to look for / compare if you have a chance to play with any of those lenses.

Their overall conclusion:

Pentaxforums posted:

If you are not on a tight budget, the Sigma is a better choice over the Tamron as it has superior handling

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Stregone posted:

I've been wondering the same thing. It looks like the tamron is generally considered slightly better. It is also slightly more expensive, but you do get a 6 year warranty.

That seems to be the consensus - the Tamron is a better picture but the Sigma has a nicer build and better AF.

Musket posted:

Here is a solution. Rent them all. You forget the resale value of lenses is better than the resale value of bodies. You may throw 2200bux today, but in 4 years you can probably get 1800ish. Do not expect the tammy/sigma to retain value in the same manner.

Yup, I'm renting the Canon for a few days next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

NeuralSpark posted:

Yup, I'm renting the Canon for a few days next week.

You're hosed. As soon as you use that lens you're gonna convince yourself it's worth the $$