Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok so I've signed up to 500px. Is there any way to embed the images in forum posts the way you can with flickr? I can't seem to find any bbcode link or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Regarding dust in photo equipment, i noticed yesterday that my Canon 70-200 2.8 has a piece of dust that looks like it is right in the middle of the lens (as in, on the middle element)
I dont use this lens a lot, and i am OCD-level careful when i swap my lenses, so i was wondering how this piece of dust got in there?
Could this be something from manufacturing, and give me cause for getting the lens cleaned for free or replaced?
I assume there is no way i can get a piece of dust stuck in the middle of the lens out of the lens by myself.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

huhu posted:

I'm watching random video tutorials and such and one guy was spraying flowers with a spray bottle to get that, "just after sunrise effect" and another guy kept dragging a piece of driftwood along the beach in a sunset over the ocean shot to get it nicely placed in the picture. What the gently caress? Why do people do this poo poo?

Guilty as charged here, often when I take a pic of a lake I ask one of my kids to throw a rock in it to create a ripple. Cheesy isn't it. :3:

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Ineptitude posted:

Regarding dust in photo equipment, i noticed yesterday that my Canon 70-200 2.8 has a piece of dust that looks like it is right in the middle of the lens (as in, on the middle element)
I dont use this lens a lot, and i am OCD-level careful when i swap my lenses, so i was wondering how this piece of dust got in there?
Could this be something from manufacturing, and give me cause for getting the lens cleaned for free or replaced?
I assume there is no way i can get a piece of dust stuck in the middle of the lens out of the lens by myself.

This dust is causing absolutely no difference to your image quality what so ever.
http://kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html
It is actually perfectly normal for lenses to accumulate some dust within them,

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Ineptitude posted:

Dust gets everywhere. You could store that lens in a class 100 cleanroom and you'd still get dust inside the lens eventually.

Just accept the dust.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

As long as it's not on your rear objective or a huge greasy smear you will never notice it in a photo.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I have a few visible to the naked eye specks on my NEX sensor, and even they don't show up in photos. The only time you should worry about dust is if you really need to shoot at f/22 or you're scanning film.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I'm buying a new camera soon and will leave my Sony as a backup and have it cleaned. There's a smudge on the sensor which explains a lot of the poo poo I see in photos that I have to burn/dodge out in LR, hopefully that's not a permanent one.

What's a full-frame camera you guys or gals would recommend? I've heard good things about Canon DSLRs. I shoot in RAW and do HDR mostly, and also a lot of panoramic photography (been trying HDR panoramas recently, but in JPEG since trying that poo poo in RAW takes FOR. EV. ER. Now that I've got a faster SD card, though, at least they might save faster...). Any other brands or cameras that might be recommended?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I have a pubic hair behind the front element of my m4/3 30mm.

Despite its relatively large size (from element is tiny), it has no effect on IQ

Mind you, I can only use it in live view and never with a viewfinder. Not for technical reasons, but I just can't bear to put it so close to my face.

It's not one of my hairs.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

spog posted:

I have a pubic hair behind the front element of my m4/3 30mm.

Despite its relatively large size (from element is tiny), it has no effect on IQ

Mind you, I can only use it in live view and never with a viewfinder. Not for technical reasons, but I just can't bear to put it so close to my face.

It's not one of my hairs.

I...don't wanna...

gently caress it, why would there be a pubic hair in that poo poo

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

life is killing me posted:

I...don't wanna...

gently caress it, why would there be a pubic hair in that poo poo

Terry Richardson raises a hand, looks like he has something to say.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

I'm buying a new camera soon and will leave my Sony as a backup and have it cleaned. There's a smudge on the sensor which explains a lot of the poo poo I see in photos that I have to burn/dodge out in LR, hopefully that's not a permanent one.

What's a full-frame camera you guys or gals would recommend? I've heard good things about Canon DSLRs. I shoot in RAW and do HDR mostly, and also a lot of panoramic photography (been trying HDR panoramas recently, but in JPEG since trying that poo poo in RAW takes FOR. EV. ER. Now that I've got a faster SD card, though, at least they might save faster...). Any other brands or cameras that might be recommended?

There's no reason to stray far from the Sony fold if you want to move to full frame. The A7 series is excellent. I have an A7S and it is a fantastic camera and I couldn't imagine going back to DSLRs after getting used to mirrorless cameras. A local landscape panorama photographer I know switched from a Canon to an A7R and he loves it.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

HPL posted:

There's no reason to stray far from the Sony fold if you want to move to full frame. The A7 series is excellent. I have an A7S and it is a fantastic camera and I couldn't imagine going back to DSLRs after getting used to mirrorless cameras. A local landscape panorama photographer I know switched from a Canon to an A7R and he loves it.

Well the one I have is full-frame, but it's aging and I know there are higher-res cameras out there. I will have a look at A7 series. What is the quality difference between mirrorless and DSLR?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Basically none, though obviously you'll have to pay for the LA-EA4 if you want to keep your A mount lenses on the new body.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The A7 and A7S have electronic first curtain shutters do you can go down to lower shutter speeds without getting shutter shake. It also makes for much shorter shutter lag. The A7S has an option for full electronic shutter which means totally silent shutter or zero shutter shake. DSLRs can't offer either of those options. Mirrorless is also great because you can adapt just about any old manual focus lens to them because of the short flange focal distance and you can even get a very half-assed AF function and full-assed aperture control with Canon lenses on Sony cameras with the right adapters.

Of course there's also the size and weight advantages as well which makes your shoulder happy.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Wooten posted:

Just hit the mode button until it says M and mess with it until you're comfortable. If its not firing it might not be seated correctly on the hotshoe.

Thanks, but I didn't mange to get working. Might be something with the camera so I'll ask another friend to test with his speedlite.

Edit: Just checking the photos. At least half of the men, including the bride's father, have the bottom buttons on their suits buttoned. Business casual is as formal as I typically get so I'm the last person to go all nazi about this but :cmon:

Also, if the photographer you got for the wedding is shooting with a nifty fifty, well, it's too late to reconsider your choice.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 22, 2014

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

Thanks, but I didn't mange to get working. Might be something with the camera so I'll ask another friend to test with his speedlite.

Edit: Just checking the photos. At least half of the men, including the bride's father, have the bottom buttons on their suits buttoned. Business casual is as formal as I typically get so I'm the last person to go all nazi about this but :cmon:

Also, if the photographer you got for the wedding is shooting with a nifty fifty, well, it's too late to reconsider your choice.

Were they double breasted jackets? You button all of those (and leave them buttoned when you sit so they better be tailored right :) )

Better than buttoning errors is when people leave the vents sewed shut on their jackets. That never fails to amuse me

As far as your flash - I wonder if the trigger pin on your shoe is damaged, but the communications ones are all good. Either that or the shutter is not sending voltage to it and the damage is there.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
How do you guys go about micro adjustment per lens? Every time I do it, it seems like I gently caress it up even more. I have one of those physical target thingies.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I leave it the gently caress alone is what I do.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

I leave it the gently caress alone is what I do.

problem is that I think my 70-200 is a bit out of whack, as well as my 85. Just a touch. or I'm an idiot and it's just camera shack (probably), but it'd be nice to just go through the exercise of it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Slavvy posted:

Ok so I've signed up to 500px. Is there any way to embed the images in forum posts the way you can with flickr? I can't seem to find any bbcode link or anything.
There's no bbcode option, but the grey button (arrow in to a box) to the right of g+ will give you some html code from which you can copy some urls.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

There's no bbcode option, but the grey button (arrow in to a box) to the right of g+ will give you some html code from which you can copy some urls.

This does a good job of converting the html code. http://www.seabreezecomputers.com/html2bbcode/

Problem is I find that using their small sized images are fairly low quality losing sharpness for some reason.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Well the one I have is full-frame, but it's aging and I know there are higher-res cameras out there. I will have a look at A7 series. What is the quality difference between mirrorless and DSLR?

Depends on what you mean by "quality". If you mean just sensor IQ, there's no difference between DSLR/mirrorless. However, there's a lot more to a camera than just a sensor. High end DSLRs offer a lot more if you shoot action because they will have dedicated AF sensor units that can track moving subjects accurately and quickly. Mirrorless isn't quite there yet for sports and such. Landscapes and portraits, though? Not really a big difference outside of lens selection.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Depends on what you mean by "quality". If you mean just sensor IQ, there's no difference between DSLR/mirrorless. However, there's a lot more to a camera than just a sensor. High end DSLRs offer a lot more if you shoot action because they will have dedicated AF sensor units that can track moving subjects accurately and quickly. Mirrorless isn't quite there yet for sports and such. Landscapes and portraits, though? Not really a big difference outside of lens selection.

I've always felt with upgrading you camera you have to think about if you are shooting beyond it's limits and skill. If you are, time to upgrade. If not, there isn't too much of a point other than gear envy.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

timrenzi574 posted:

Were they double breasted jackets? You button all of those (and leave them buttoned when you sit so they better be tailored right :) )

Better than buttoning errors is when people leave the vents sewed shut on their jackets. That never fails to amuse me

As far as your flash - I wonder if the trigger pin on your shoe is damaged, but the communications ones are all good. Either that or the shutter is not sending voltage to it and the damage is there.

Nope, regular three-button suits mostly, I think. Haven't noticed any sewed vents, at least.

You might be right about the trigger pin damage, I had the camera fall out of the bag recently. It wasn't too high and there's no damage that I could see anywhere, but the pin connection might have gotten hosed up. Is there any way to check it with a multimeter?

Pukestain Pal posted:

I've always felt with upgrading you camera you have to think about if you are shooting beyond it's limits and skill. If you are, time to upgrade. If not, there isn't too much of a point other than gear envy.

I'm constantly itching to get a 5D II/III but always stop myself when I realize that it's going to make my lovely photos only marginally better, and that I'd be better off spending that on activities where I get to shoot more and/or lenses.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The other big upgrade reason I can think of is if the current body is worn out / has issues that would require expensive repair. Then you might as well buy the nicest new (to you) camera you can fit into the budget. Newer designs that fit into the same market segment from the same manufacturer - a straight time-only upgrade - typically outperform older designs on high-ISO and autofocus speed and/or accuracy.

If you're like me and stick to second-hand, moving up a few years is a compelling reason to upgrade, even if you're just going from one mid-market body (new in 2007) to another mid-market body (new in 2011).

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Pukestain Pal posted:

Beyond upgrading from a phone or an old point and shoot to a DSLR what exactly are the limitations of cheapish mid-range cameras these days? Speaking in Nikon terms, the things you can do with a D7000 aren't really any different than what you can do with any of Nikon's nicer DLSRs excluding video because I have don't pay any attention to video specs. They all have good ISO performance, and all of them can burst fine for most applications. Furthermore i'd go as far to saying that requiring a camera that bursts better is more of an indicator of a lack of skill / timing / anticipation.

You could argue about megapixels / resolution but how many big rear end prints are you really making? I got the D800 because I wanted to make bigger prints and so far in over two years I've actually only printed three 20x30 photos and one of them was a canvas so I probably could have shot that poo poo on my old D80 (and especially my D700) and it would have looked almost the same resolution wise. Yeah I can make bigger photos now but for who? Did I really need this resolution bump? No not really.

I think it's really all just superficial reasoning, but I'm not trying to say that I'm not a slave to it. I just accept that I'm a consumer whore. Not gonna lie though, the D800 sensor is loving amazing and I love it more than anything else, but it's probably not as much better than the D700 as I think it is. I've got a $3000 bias.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

RangerScum posted:

Beyond upgrading from a phone or an old point and shoot to a DSLR what exactly are the limitations of cheapish mid-range cameras these days? Speaking in Nikon terms, the things you can do with a D7000 aren't really any different than what you can do with any of Nikon's nicer DLSRs excluding video because I have don't pay any attention to video specs. They all have good ISO performance, and all of them can burst fine for most applications. Furthermore i'd go as far to saying that requiring a camera that bursts better is more of an indicator of a lack of skill / timing / anticipation.

AF generally improves fairly significantly in major releases. The big advantage of the 5D3 over the 6D is just that...and FPS. If that's something you don't need, get the 6D since the sensor is actually better in a lot of ways, especially when it comes to shadows.

Shooting wildlife, action, etc? Hitting your limitations? Time to upgrade.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

Nope, regular three-button suits mostly, I think. Haven't noticed any sewed vents, at least.

You might be right about the trigger pin damage, I had the camera fall out of the bag recently. It wasn't too high and there's no damage that I could see anywhere, but the pin connection might have gotten hosed up. Is there any way to check it with a multimeter

I don't think so, because it's just closing a loop between the pin and sides of the shoe when the shutter fires - when the circuit closes the flash dumps its charge. So I don't think there's any power sent through from the camera side. That's why they warn people about old flashes - some of them dump a really huge charge when they fire and can damage electronics in the shutter mechanism.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

In any case, it's time to have a backup anyway. I have no plan for what I'd do if I had a shoot in 30 minutes and my camera was hosed. If I take a backup, at least I won't have to worry about it, the actual chances of my camera just wearing out or breaking notwithstanding. Though if you're not careful, dropping a camera can finish it. I had a tripod leg fail on me while photographing a house and it chipped the outside plastic part of the lens (a lens which cost more than the camera itself). I keep two tripods for that reason, though that day I was lucky I also had my backup tripod's mount. If my camera or lens had been hosed that day after falling over, we might have lost the client's business because I had no backup.

So my thinking is, just get a marginally better camera since the current one works for what I do, and what it doesn't do well, exposure bracketing can overcome. Then I use the current one as a backup. It IS getting worn out, and I'm not sure that smudge on the sensor can be cleaned.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

RangerScum posted:

In general, I think you're right and there isn't much need for the vast majority of photographers to upgrade. Cameras nowadays are utterly amazing and way way way outperform their users in most cases. The only place you can really see upgrading from mid level as "necessary" is high performance edge cases - sports, wildlife, astro, stuff like that. That's why gearhead forums are always overpopulated with bird and motorsports photographers. They're the ones that need every little improvement or, just as likely, the ones that seek out those subjects to justify the constant gear upgrades.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

In any case, it's time to have a backup anyway. I have no plan for what I'd do if I had a shoot in 30 minutes and my camera was hosed. If I take a backup, at least I won't have to worry about it, the actual chances of my camera just wearing out or breaking notwithstanding. Though if you're not careful, dropping a camera can finish it. I had a tripod leg fail on me while photographing a house and it chipped the outside plastic part of the lens (a lens which cost more than the camera itself). I keep two tripods for that reason, though that day I was lucky I also had my backup tripod's mount. If my camera or lens had been hosed that day after falling over, we might have lost the client's business because I had no backup.

So my thinking is, just get a marginally better camera since the current one works for what I do, and what it doesn't do well, exposure bracketing can overcome. Then I use the current one as a backup. It IS getting worn out, and I'm not sure that smudge on the sensor can be cleaned.

This really highlights how important having a backup is if you intend to shoot for money. Which is a great reason to buy another camera. It also means backups for your flash or any other piece of equipment you will need to get the job done right. Insurance is also a really good idea that is cheap as hell.

Upgrading is something I think about a lot lately. I've been shooting weddings with my 5DII for 4 years now and I'm really starting to feel like it's autofocus constantly fails me. I frequently take doubles and triples of the same photo because I really don't trust the focus. Even worse, when I'm shooting candids and that isn't an option I end up throwing out what would have been amazing photos. This is even with a flash that has AF assit. I keep a 7D for back up and for when I used to shoot triathlons, and it's autofocus is seriously amazing and everything I want from an autofocus. Unfortunately the low light performance of the 7D makes me weep. Would I benefit enough from buying a 5DIII to make it worth it though?

Wooten fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 23, 2014

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Wooten posted:

This really highlights how important having a backup is if you intend to shoot for money. Which is a great reason to buy another camera. It also means backups for your flash or any other piece of equipment you will need to get the job done right. Insurance is also a really good idea that is cheap as hell.

Upgrading is something I think about a lot lately. I've been shooting weddings with my 5DII for 4 years now and I'm really starting to feel like it's autofocus constantly fails me. I frequently take doubles and triples of the same photo because I really don't trust the focus. Even worse, when I'm shooting candids and that isn't an option I end up throwing out what would have been amazing photos. This is even with a flash that has AF assit. I keep a 7D for back up and for when I used to shoot triathlons, and it's autofocus is seriously amazing and everything I want from an autofocus. Unfortunately the low light performance of the 7D makes me weep. Would I benefit enough from buying a 5DIII to make it worth it though?

How about the 7D2?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Wooten posted:

Are you talking video or stills? My same camera was doing that and as I was doing panoramas at the time with a smaller lens, I was constantly having to go through sometimes a thousand or more photos to delete the blurry ones. This happens to me in vacant houses still when the lens has nothing on which to focus, like a blank white wall. I usually switch to manual focus or half-press the button to keep the AF from the previous shots, but this also keeps the exposure level the same which can be annoying.

I got a new 11/16 lens and the AF problems are nothing like what I encountered before, however there's no getting around having nothing for the lens to focus on. I don't know anything about high-quality video, though, so I don't know if there are even interchangeable lenses.

e: I don't use flash as it causes unnatural light distribution in the photos I take, and HDR will overcome the need for flash anyway. The only thing I haven't completely gotten down is making the photos look more natural--Photomatix really tends to pump out artsy-stylish photos where I have to add more contrast and dial down saturation. But it's great for brightening shadows without noise increases and also for huge glare problems from sunlight coming into windows.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 23, 2014

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

^^ Photos.

Pukestain Pal posted:

How about the 7D2?

My lens selection is really weighted toward full frame.

snappo
Jun 18, 2006

Pukestain Pal posted:

How do you guys go about micro adjustment per lens? Every time I do it, it seems like I gently caress it up even more. I have one of those physical target thingies.

Shoot a speck on the carpet 6 or 8 feet in front of you at the widest aperture, in the center focus point, and view picture. Is the focal plane in front of or behind the speck? Adjust micro-tuning 5mm and repeat. Keep narrowing the adjustments until you don't see a difference, it should take 5 shots max. On a highly textured flat surface, the focal plane is super easy to see, even on a tiny camera screen, especially when you flip back and forth between pictures with different adjustments.

I took my brand new 35mm f/1.8 lens to a music festival and noticed my first few pictures were horribly back-focused. I calibrated it on the spot within about 3 minutes and haven't touched the settings since.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I want to try making a little home studio setup in my apartment. Anyone have any suggestions for a cheap decent backdrop?

I was thinking of just putting some hooks in my wall and hanging something off it. Basically like curtain rod hooks where I could quickly set something up if I had a shoot. The wall I'm planning on using is about 9x11.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

triplexpac posted:

I want to try making a little home studio setup in my apartment. Anyone have any suggestions for a cheap decent backdrop?

I was thinking of just putting some hooks in my wall and hanging something off it. Basically like curtain rod hooks where I could quickly set something up if I had a shoot. The wall I'm planning on using is about 9x11.

My favorite backdrops are a couple green/blue muslins I got on clearance years ago, they are great in most situations and are easy to transport. White paper is also a good choice. You can light it a bunch of different ways and adding gels to your lights lets you make it any color you want. It's a bitch to transport in the size that you are going to want though.

The hooks will work if you run something rigid between them, trying to work with a backdrop that isn't supported all the way across is a pain in the rear end.

Wooten fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 24, 2014

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Thanks for the tips on a backdrop!

Shifting gears, anyone have any good portable diffusion tips for off camera flash? I was doing some shooting last night in a small apartment, tried bouncing it off walls but it was lighting up the whole room like crazy. I was hoping for something more directional and soft.

Would something like a Rogue Flashbender help me out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

triplexpac posted:

Shifting gears, anyone have any good portable diffusion tips for off camera flash? I was doing some shooting last night in a small apartment, tried bouncing it off walls but it was lighting up the whole room like crazy. I was hoping for something more directional and soft.

Super cheap, something you probably already have, not that much of a comedy option? A thin white bed sheet.