Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Pukestain Pal posted:

Do the files look fine independently?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

life is killing me posted:

Okay so I just got a Sony a6000, and I'm a little confused. I'm trying to do manual HDR with it, and when I import into Photomatix and start to process, the resulting 32bit file is greyscale and green. I have changed the color space too.

Any ideas what might be causing this? There IS an adapter from A-mount to E-mount. Is that the issue?

e: IOW, do the mirrors in the mount adapter conflict with this being a mirrorless camera?

What version of Photomatix are you running? The first Google hit for "photomatix a6000" suggests only the very most recent dot release supports the A6000. I'm willing to bet you're importing RAW files using an earlier version.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

MrBlandAverage posted:

What version of Photomatix are you running? The first Google hit for "photomatix a6000" suggests only the very most recent dot release supports the A6000. I'm willing to bet you're importing RAW files using an earlier version.

I actually had no idea that a RAW file wasn't just a RAW file, i.e. that if a program could read a raw file from a few iterations ago, that the same version of the software couldn't read newer RAW files. I am updating it now. I was using 4 because I'm dumb and never thought to check for updates since it's the only goddamned piece of photo software I use that doesn't pop up with update release notifications every time I start it up. I thought it was the camera hardware or something.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Elliotw2 posted:

I only mentioned in a store because I've gotten counterfeits even from Amazon/Newegg fulfilled orders.

I had a dead (possibly counterfeit) card that I bought in a store. I'm now in the habit of opening up packages and testing the cards in the store before I go home.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Wrong thread

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

On the flip side, I bought a grey import 6d from hong kong and the guy in the store forgot to take out the 16gb sd card that he tested it with. So now I have an extra card I guess.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Guys what is the fastest write speed SD card and how can I test my SD card to see how quickly pictures are being written to it?

Is looking at the camera exif good enough? Does the exfat fs even have timestamps?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Easiest way to test cards is to trigger a continuous burst and count how many shots until the rate slows down (which is when the camera's buffer fills up).

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Bubbacub posted:

Easiest way to test cards is to trigger a continuous burst and count how many shots until the rate slows down (which is when the camera's buffer fills up).

Yeah I want to be able to see the fps once the buffer is full.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

MrBlandAverage posted:

Yeah that was it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Dren posted:

Yeah I want to be able to see the fps once the buffer is full.

Keep holding the shutter and get a stop watch, once it gets noticeably slower start counting actuations over the next 10 seconds, divide whatever you get by 10.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you want to get really spergy about it, there's a program out there called H2testw that will benchmark SD cards.

Despite the completely sketchy name it's a handy little tool.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Once more into the printing chat!

I'm about to order a canvas wrap as a wedding present, and because of time constraints and my own lack of experience, I'll just pay the extra and get the store to stretch it onto a frame for me. But, they also sell just the print on canvas for considerably less money. Has anyone framed their own canvas print before? Is it basically just a matter of carefully stretching the canvas over a frame and stapling it in place? I'd like to order a print for myself, then let it sit in the corner for months before finally getting around my procrastination and trying it. Bad idea?

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

Bestbuy pricematches amazon

Thank you so much for this. Took the 32gb Sandisk Extreme Pro which was 170$ up to customer service, the lady working there looked it up on amazon, and I got it for 50$.

Now that I've got that figured out, I've got a battery question. I apologize if this is dumb but here it goes anyways.

The Olympus Tough TG-3 takes li-92b batteries, and I got this thing in bundled deal and it came with an extra li-90b. The owner's manual explicitly says do not use anything except Olympus products and whatnot, and the last thing I want is some janky battery to mess up my brand new camera. Should I just play it safe and order some legit Olympus li-92b's off of B&H (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1026757-REG/olympus_v6200660u000_li_92b_li_ion_battery.html) ? Or am I just being a wuss?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Wait what? I bought the 64gb 95 mb/s card from Best Buy website for $99, do the stores charge different pricing than the website? :psyduck:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Edit: double post

1st AD fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 27, 2014

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

The store I was at didn't even carry the 64gb.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

1st AD posted:

Wait what? I bought the 64gb 95 mb/s card from Best Buy website for $99, do the stores charge different pricing than the website? :psyduck:

Isnt that the norm? At least here in Norway, few chains have the same price on their website as in the store, and then only on select products. You can however order the product online then go pick it up in the store and get it for the online price. I once bought a BluRay player for 800 NOK on a stores webpage, with my cell phone, WHILE IN THE STORE, instead of paying the 2000 NOK price for the same BluRay player in the store...
After placing my order i saw an employee pick up the BluRay player from the shelf i was standing next to and deliver it to the online purchases counter, where i could pick it up.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I too got a Sandisk extreme pro and can confirm it is faster than whatever Kingston class 10 card I had before. Faster sd cards are awesome.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Should I be modifying the size of images before I upload them to websites like Flickr? I'm currently uploading ~7mb JPG files.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You have a terabyte and they only use the full size for archival or people with Retina displays, so do whatever you want really.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
as long as you don't allow downloads of any size, you are fine.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
What's a good site to upload and download and possibly print pictures for my family in China? Should I just use flickr?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

huhu posted:

Should I be modifying the size of images before I upload them to websites like Flickr? I'm currently uploading ~7mb JPG files.

I almost always export from LightRoom with settings "1800 px on long edge" and "Don't enlarge" before uploading to Flickr. This is a habit I got into before the big everyone-gets-a-TB thing they did, so I could probably go larger. 1800 long edge means the picture is good enough (or more than good enough) for on-line viewing, but I can usually produce a higher-resolution image on demand.

Do you find it takes a long time to upload your ~7mb JPG files? Time is another factor, if you get bored and frustrated by how long it takes, switch to smaller files (or upgrade your bandwidth). If you find the time to upload is really fast, then why not bigger files?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Which photo websites do you use and recommend for inspiration, news and other cool stuff?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Xabi posted:

Which photo websites do you use and recommend for inspiration, news and other cool stuff?

I like to search through flickr and 500px with the name of my city sorted by recent.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Xabi posted:

http://www.americansuburbx.com

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Xabi posted:

woot fatigue's instagram.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Mr. Despair posted:

That's because you don't have a firm grasp on optical physics.
And now I do. Huh, how about that. Totally make sense now that you (and the post after yours) explain it, I guess I just never really noticed because the "dust" on the newspaper cameras' sensors was too big for that to make a visible difference. :v:

ExecuDork posted:

I almost always export from LightRoom with settings "1800 px on long edge" and "Don't enlarge" before uploading to Flickr. This is a habit I got into before the big everyone-gets-a-TB thing they did, so I could probably go larger. 1800 long edge means the picture is good enough (or more than good enough) for on-line viewing, but I can usually produce a higher-resolution image on demand.
2000px on the long side is a good rule of thumb, it's all you realistically need for print -- makes an 8x10" at as-good-as-your-eyes-or-printer 200dpi, and looks fine on newsprint as big as you care to print it -- so it should be more than enough for the Web. Most current consumer displays are still (just) under 2000px wide, so it'll even work as wallpaper, and doesn't look bad even stretched to fit on the few 4k displays.

I suppose you might as well upload the biggest file practical at your connection speed, for futureproofing; remember back when everything on the internet was 600px? Or hell, even 800?

Hell, with 1080p being the norm and the next-gen doubling that, we're on the brink of not needing still cameras anymore -- just shoot video (with Ridley Scott shutter speeds), and pull the best frames for print.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Except video is always shot at 1/{24,25,30,50,60}s, putting limits on the usefulness of frame extraction.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Delivery McGee posted:

Hell, with 1080p being the norm and the next-gen doubling that, we're on the brink of not needing still cameras anymore -- just shoot video (with Ridley Scott shutter speeds), and pull the best frames for print.

:what:
That's the dumbest thing I have read all day, and I just came from the street thread.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-snype posted:

:what:
That's the dumbest thing I have read all day, and I just came from the street thread.

It's the dumbest thing I've read in two days and I just spent the weekend modding AI.

At least he's not the first person to express said wrong opinion though. By a longshot. Isn't that one of RED's marketing gimmicks even?

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Worse things have happened in the name of photography in print journalism.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Baron Dirigible posted:

Worse things have happened in the name of photography in print journalism.

Yeah but journalists are idiots...oh wait.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
It's because some print magazine shot some video in 4k and took a still lfrom that and put it on the cover and now people are convinced it's a thing.

It sounds like something even dorkroom best friend hero a++ photographer krock wouldn't say.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Wild EEPROM posted:

It's because some print magazine shot some video in 4k and took a still lfrom that an iPhone and put it on the cover and now people are convinced it's a thing.

Wild EEPROM posted:

It sounds like something even dorkroom best friend hero a++ photographer krock wouldn't say.

I bet the photography staff of the Chicago Sun Times would say it.

Inbetween washing cars.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

spog posted:

I bet the photography staff of the Chicago Sun Times would say it.

Inbetween washing cars.

F/8 and beg for tips

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-snype posted:

F/8 and beg for tips

I'd ask David 'Strobist' Hobby but I think his phone got cut off.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Anybody in here ever work for a newspaper and care to comment on this topic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I don't work at a newspaper, but that sounds like it requires buying new cameras and lenses instead of using their Nikon DSLR from 2002 so I don't think it'll happen.