Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

doomisland posted:

Yeah, it's just little light scratches. I have to assume it was the shirt or the lens was in worse condition when I bought it off Amazon. It was "New" but when it showed up it was an amazon warehouse deal. It looked fine at the time and they gave me a discount when I complained since I was heading out on a 2 month trip the next day. I'll try rubbing it again. Is there some kind of rubbing alcohol I can buy?

Don't use alcohol, it can strip lens coatings.

A few small scratches on the objective lens aren't too band, it's the rear element you don't want to get anything on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

keyboard vomit posted:

Don't use alcohol, it can strip lens coatings.

No it doesn't. It's not the best thing in the world for cleaning lenses but stripping the coating off a modern lens would need industrial chemicals.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

doomisland posted:

Yeah, it's just little light scratches. I have to assume it was the shirt or the lens was in worse condition when I bought it off Amazon. It was "New" but when it showed up it was an amazon warehouse deal. It looked fine at the time and they gave me a discount when I complained since I was heading out on a 2 month trip the next day. I'll try rubbing it again. Is there some kind of rubbing alcohol I can buy?

Buy a lens pen and clean it with that if you are worried.. You won't see any difference in your pictures even if there ARE small scratches.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Lens pens are basically magic and everyone should have one.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

HookShot posted:

Lens pens are basically magic and everyone should have one.

Even the knockoff ones from China are pretty good, so buy several.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

HPL posted:

Even the knockoff ones from China are pretty good, so buy several.

I bet they come from the exact same factory.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

alkanphel posted:

I bet they come from the exact same factory.

Probably. I have both a genuine lens pen and a Chinese knockoff and they're both fine.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Check out this sweet review of the Fuji 35 f2.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/x-mount-lenses/35mm-f2.htm

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Linking to k-rock should be bannable. :colbert:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Ken loving Rockwell posted:

To focus in Manual focus mode, tap your camera's AF-ON button

What?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Fuji's let you set a button on the back to AF even in manual focus mode. He wrote that in typical krock fashion though

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah that took me a second too :psyduck:

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

I just found out he has a twitter if you'd like to tell him what you think of him.

https://twitter.com/kenrockwell

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Plz help krock.com

Captain Dilly
Sep 29, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Plz help krock.com

My favorite is the picture of his Mercedes S550 wheel that links to a review of his personal brand new S550. At the bottom of that review... "Help support my growing family!"

Base MSRP: $96k

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Captain Dilly posted:

My favorite is the picture of his Mercedes S550 wheel that links to a review of his personal brand new S550. At the bottom of that review... "Help support my growing family!"

Jesus. That's not a review, that's a cry for help. He compares it to offerings from other manufacturers at the end of the review.

quote:

Versus BMW

Who cares?

BMW has nowhere near the experience or expertise of Mercedes; BMW started out making airplane engines and then motorcycles and only got around to cars in the century after Mercedes.

BMW lacks the service we take for granted. Drive into the Mercedes dealer with any problem, and he hands you a free Mercedes loaner while your S550 is worked on. With BMW, who knows?

BMWs are mostly for children, or for women without boyfriends.

Versus Bentley

Bentley started in the century after Mercedes in 1919, never really invented anything important, and went out of business in 1931.

They were then bought by Rolls Royce.

Versus Rolls Royce

Rolls Royce started in 1909, 24 years behind Mercedes, and likewise never really invented anything.

Rolls Royce went nearly bankrupt in 1971, was taken over by the government, and then sold in 1980.

In 1998 various legal parts of Rolls Royce were sold to Volkswagen and BMW.

As of today, Rolls Royces are made by and simply a brand of BMW, and Bentleys are simply made by and a brand of Volkswagen

Neither Bentley nor Rolls Royce exist anymore as independent car makers; they're long gone even though the brands are still seen on cars.

Mercedes has always been the world's first and always an independent car maker; when you get a Mercedes, you're getting the real thing.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Mercedes has never made a manual gear box that was okay and that should tell you everything you need to know about them

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Urge to punch k-rock right in his stupid mouth is rising.

What a miserable rear end in a top hat.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Helen Highwater posted:

Jesus. That's not a review, that's a cry for help. He compares it to offerings from other manufacturers at the end of the review.

BMW. Who cares?

hahaha

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Captain Dilly posted:

I have a rough idea of the community he lives in too based on all of the photos he takes, and yeah it's a multi-million dollar home in South Orange County.

KRock's doing just fine

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I have a rough idea of the community he lives in too based on all of the photos he takes, and yeah it's a multi-million dollar home in South Orange County.

KRock's doing just fine

Yet still, please ONLY buy gear using the links on his approved list of vendors. Help him help you!!

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
he's a dick but you gotta admit hes found a pretty good niche for wringing money out of people/amazon.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Good for him because he sure as poo poo would never make any money off his garbage photos.

All it cost was his dignity.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

I heard ken rockwell caused the water crisis in so cal.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

he's a dick but you gotta admit hes found a pretty good niche for wringing money out of people/amazon.
His wife is the one actually making all the money tho

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

quote:

Mercedes has always been the world's first and always an independent car maker; when you get a Mercedes, you're getting the real thing.

how did he get to be such a canonphile if they didn't invent anything :colbert:

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

What does "Getting the real thing" even mean? Other cars are actually real as well.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Fart Amplifier posted:

What does "Getting the real thing" even mean? Other cars are actually real as well.

I'm pretty sure that any car manufacturer you care to name has a poo poo-ton of patents under its belt.

If you google Ken Rockwell, these are the front page results (after his actual site).

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

oh my god, that dpreview thread is golden. pretty sure this guy is krock himself

"I absolutely love kenrockwell and think he is a God. He writes with SATIRE, something people who take things too seriously don't understand. His writing is excellent and honest. He'll say provocative things from time to time, but everyone is entitled to their opinion."

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Anyone who says "...but everyone is entitled to their opinion." is trying to justify some awful poo poo they said or with which they agree. Reasonable people with reasonable opinions don't need to remind people of their right to thought.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I like Ken Rockwell's website. After the third or fourth superlative-laden review I read, I started to understand the bullshit weasel-word code that he uses. It's amusing.

But yeah the entire kenrockwell website is a joke. At least his philosophy is consistent. Still, I'd imagine unscrupulous camera salespeople mine his rantings for talking points to justify ripping people off. "Only Canon knows how to make the special kind of glass that works with their sensors."

On a completely different subject, I picked up a nikkor 24mm f/2.8 for my FE2 film camera. Somebody (ken..) told me that famous landscape photographer Galen Rowell used the same lens and spoke highly of it. But I thought that 35mm format wasn't all that widely used by serious landscape photographers. The examples of Rowell's work that I can find online are richly-detailed and technically excellent (if not exactly something I'd want to emulate) - surely he didn't use a 35mm camera to produce most of his work, right?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Nope Galen Rowell shot 35mm.
http://www.mountainlight.com/rowell/gr_camera_bag.html

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

KRock's doing just fine

I think he's in La Jolla, San Diego

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Karl Barks posted:

oh my god, that dpreview thread is golden. pretty sure this guy is krock himself

"I absolutely love kenrockwell and think he is a God. He writes with SATIRE, something people who take things too seriously don't understand. His writing is excellent and honest. He'll say provocative things from time to time, but everyone is entitled to their opinion."

The Another Angle link is better. It has examples of actual dumb stuff that K-Rock has said.

About the A7RII (a $3,200, 42MP camera).

quote:

11MP is the lowest resolution setting. I usually prefer to shoot at around 6 MP for my people pictures to allow me to process more of them faster. Even with all the junk in the menu system, it only has three resolution settings.

Good to know that no-one ever needs to buy a FF camera again.

quote:

The only real difference between APS-C and full-frame cameras is that full-frame lenses are much bigger and heavier, and that APS-C has more depth of field and full-frame has less. That’s what really matters; the pictures and overall operations outside of the extra A7R II features are the same.

Pro-photographers don't shoot RAW because you can't send the pictures straight from the camera to your clients.

quote:

Raw is a waste of time and space, and doesn't look any better than JPG even when you can open the files.
[...]
Time is money to people who need to make money from photography. We simply don’t have the time to waste for all the files to download and then especially to wait while hundreds of raw files open up the hard way before we can see them, much less do anything with them.
[...]
Because it’s not standardized, you can’t send these files to clients or anyone and expect them to open

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Judging by the last ~20 posts it looks like he has succeeded in exactly what he is trying to accomplish; getting attention and getting people to speak about him.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

The comments on that Another Angle link are awesome:

quote:

Never heard about asian size? Never saw asians?

Ken Rockwell: He's Seen Asians

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Ineptitude posted:

Judging by the last ~20 posts it looks like he has succeeded in exactly what he is trying to accomplish; getting attention and getting people to speak about him.

Krock is the DJT of camera wankery.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Helen Highwater posted:

The Another Angle link is better. It has examples of actual dumb stuff that K-Rock has said.

It totally leaves out the insane stuff though. Like

"If you care about yourself, your friends and your family, you need to get your own Geiger counter as I did. Isn't your family worth it? "

" When they want a baby, daddy will stick his pee-pee in mommy's mouth or in mommy's poo-poo hole. Hee hee, mommy and daddy think this is a lot of fun for some reason. "

"Aliens who crashed in Roswell, New Mexico in 1947 were invited by the government to perform "research" on US citizens. The permission to perform these "experiments" was granted in exchange for technical and military secrets from the aliens."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

timrenzi574 posted:

It totally leaves out the insane stuff though. Like

"If you care about yourself, your friends and your family, you need to get your own Geiger counter as I did. Isn't your family worth it? "

" When they want a baby, daddy will stick his pee-pee in mommy's mouth or in mommy's poo-poo hole. Hee hee, mommy and daddy think this is a lot of fun for some reason. "

"Aliens who crashed in Roswell, New Mexico in 1947 were invited by the government to perform "research" on US citizens. The permission to perform these "experiments" was granted in exchange for technical and military secrets from the aliens."

oh my god i thought these were fake

http://kenrockwell.com/ri/Where-Do-Babies-Come-From-Traditional.htm