Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Here's one from FredMiranda of all places: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/845190

There's his 1DII, taken by his 5D that stopped working a few minutes after he took this shot because all of the controls were frozen solid. After this photo, he says he kept taking pictures with the 1DII for about 15 more minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Ringo R posted:

Please excuse my silly n00b question. I want to view RAW files just like any other image files without having to open up heavy image editing software. I use Irfanview (which I quite like) and it can open RAW files fine but it is waaay to slow. Any other good image viewers? I just want it to be fast, not bloated and preferably free.

Well, if you're not going to edit the photos, why are you shooting in RAW? The point of RAW is to give more flexibility when you edit. If you just want to see them how they came out of the camera, you should consider shooting JPG.

Or, if I have this all wrong and you just want a fast way to browse through your RAW files for other reasons, you may want to consider shooting RAW + small JPG. The small JPGs are, well, small -- in file size and in dimensions -- so they don't take up much disk space and load pretty quick. Then, when you want to actually edit the image, you just match file names to pull in the RAW.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

Eutheria posted:

The shutter on my camera (Canon Rebel XT) has been acting up lately. Whenever I try to take a picture, it makes kind of a half shutter-click noise, 'Error 99' pops up on the LCD, and the image through the viewfinder gets dim, as if I had pressed the DOF button, and stays that way. If I remove the lens (Tamron 70-300) and put it back on again, I can hear something click back into place and everything is appears to be normal again. If I instead press the DOF button the screen stays dimmed (and gets successively darker each time I press the button) until I do the little lens trick again.

The guy at the local camera shop seemed suspiciously eager to blame it on the lens, coming to that conclusion before I even fully finished telling him what the problem was, and I'm looking for a second opinion. I've been planning on getting a new telephoto to replace it somewhere down the line, but I really want to know whether the lens is totaled (I'm not interested in paying a couple hundred dollars to have it fixed) before I close the book on it. Any thoughts?

echoing Rhombus, I think you need to try a different lens on it. It sounds like the aperture blades could be sticking on the Tamron.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

poopinmymouth posted:

Why would you want to emulate that? It looks like horrible face masks flattened out on a scanner.

because, like, dave hill, man

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

InternetJunky posted:

What kind of metering should I use for a scene like this:

Unfortunately I used spot metering (with the spot being on a super dark bison) so my background went to poo poo.

Also, is there a good primer out there that describes when it's a good idea to change the exposure compensation? I see some photos where people have changed it but I have no idea why they did it.

Well, you just described an incidence when you would change exposure compensation -- you know that the bison was super dark, and the spot meter read it and so the exposure was too high. Thus, if you were going to spot meter in a situation like that, you would (ideally) dial in exposure compensation to compensate for the fact that you know the thing you're metering off of if is darker than 18% gray -- meaning you'd decrease the exposure with compensation of, say, -1 stop.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

Pickman posted:

I've got a question about DSLR sensor damage. I cleaned the sensor a couple of weeks ago, and I tested it to find there were still specks of dirt in the picture. So I cleaned it a second time, and now I've got U-shaped streaks in the centre of my pictures.

Is it worth cleaning my sensor for a third time, or do those streaks mean that I've just destroyed my camera?

To be honest, I won't be too gutted if I have to shell out for a new camera. It's a Nikon D40x, and if I'd read this forum when looking for my first DSLR I would have bought something else.

How did you clean it?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

Brozekiel posted:

Does anyone know of a place to buy replacement parts for lenses?

I cracked the filter screw-on ring of my tamron 17-50 and would like to replace it.

I'd call them at 631.858.8400 (http://www.tamron.com/contact/default.asp) and ask about it. I know Nikon has a parts department that'll sell you various little bits and pieces.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

spf3million posted:

:science: Depends entirely on the humidity of the warmer environment. Assuming you keep your house at 70F and the indoor relative humidity is 30% (probably lower in the winter but let's be conservative) then any surface below 37.5F will cause dew to form in the presence of air. So if you bring your camera in from outside and it was 35F, then theoretically you would have some condensation. Indoor humidities in the winter are usually lower, so if it were 20% humidity inside, you could be fine with anything above 27.5F. At least that's how I understand it.

Here's the chart I used: http://epg.modot.mo.gov/files/c/c7/Table_106.7.38.4.gif

The reason you are safer when you put it in a bag is that by squeezing most of the air out (and putting it in the bag while still outside) you are reducing the amount of available water in the air so even if it all condenses it will be a small amount as opposed to leaving it open in the warm room where there is an infinite availability of water condense on your camera.

You know, I probably should have remembered this when I went taking pictures outside to walking into a goddamn greenhouse (which was only ~15 degrees warmer, but super humid.)

I ended up composing --> wiping --> snap the picture really fast

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
I downloaded the free trial and dicked around with it.

I used the ruler tool to find the angle of the blur.

was what I got from

Kinda cool I guess, but the result will always look shittacular.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Say, do any of you know of a good but cheap bulk-printing service? I'd like to print off like 500 of my early digital shots to put in silly albums, starting to find some weird file corruption in there. 4x6 drugstore-style prints are all I've got in mind for that. I'm guessing that Walmart is probably the cheapest option?

Adoramapix is really cheap, and they do a decent job. You can order them for $0.19 per 4x6, or you can buy a pack of 1000 4x6 prints for $170.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
You can tell by all of the surroundings that the camera was moved a lot during the exposure. By a ghost.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

It bothers me that the model looks down at the camera and half-closes her eyes at the wide end. Kinda distorts the comparison.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
It's not anything on the sensor; that's something on the lens. Usually, a drop of liquid or or dust particle will do that. It's shaped like that because that's the shape of the lens' aperture blades. Honestly all I can offer for advice is clean the lens better, but I know point and shoot lenses, being small and recessed, are tough to clean.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

XTimmy posted:

I feel like a real amateur asking this but will a tele converter increase minimum focusing distance? I'm asking because I do a fair amount of cinematography on my camera and, being full frame, occasionally I'm asked for an extreme close up that I can't get with my regular lenses because the minimum focusing distance is too large. If I want to shoot just an actors eye I can't currently because none of my lenses can get that close in and still focus. Sadly I don't have the money for a macro lens so I'm looking for a cheaper solution.

(It'd also be nice to be able to use my 200mm as a ~300mm or ~400mm for those clichéd Hollywood long shots, which is why I'm not quite so keen on tubes)

The TC won't increase your MFD, but it won't decrease it either. It magnifies the image, so if you use a 2x on a 200mm lens, you'll get a 400mm FoV from the same spot. So if your 200mm is filling the frame with the actor's head, you might be able to fill the frame with the actor's eye with a 2x TC.

Keep in mind it'll degrade image quality and take away 1 stop of light for a 1.4x and 2 stops of light for a 2x (which means you lose autofocus if your lens is originally f/4 and you use a 2x, or if it's originally f/5.6 and you use either). I'm not sure how those will affect video... I guess video is a bit more forgiving than still photos.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

change my name posted:

Okay, this Epson v300 is kicking my rear end. Trying to scan in some slide film, and it just won't turn out right. Case in point:

Even after adjusting brightness/contrast/sharpness and using the backlight corrector, I still get horrible halos around everyone. It's like every surface has become suddenly reflective. What the hell am I doing wrong? I have some regular shots here that I just got developed and they came out fine, so I know it isn't the camera.

It might be dirty.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
Photography "rules" are stupid. That said, I sometimes do like to mount a speedlight on-camera to give eyes a little more "sparkle", especially with kids. Example:

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

HPL posted:

But be careful. Focusing screens are made of really soft plastic.

Yeah. I wouldn't touch it, to be honest. Just use a rocket blower.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

1. How do I get rid of shots like this, where everything close to the sky is overexposed?

I suppose I could try HDR, but that's not always possible. Maybe there is no solution. I currently have a Canon EOS 500D/ EOS Rebel T1i which does not feature the new HDR Backlight Control of the new EOS 650/ Rebel T4i.

Does anyone have the new Canon and could tell me how useful this feature really is (and its usefulness without a tripod)? Thank you so much.

2. On a recent trip I was constantly switching between the Canon 55-250 IS and the 18-55 (I think) Kit lens (I'm on a budget). This was tiresome and I found this on Amazon: Sigma 18- F3,5-6,3 DC OS HSM. Would buying this be a good idea? Thanks again!

I hate to say it, but honestly that's a shot that's going to happen in those circumstances without either serious post work (and bracketed exposures). You'd need to come back at a time when the sun cooperates so that the sky isn't so much brighter than the foreground.

As you keep shooting, you'll learn the dynamic range limitations of camera sensors, and you'll be able to tell when the light is right for the scene, when to come back at another time, when to use lighting modifiers (usually for portraits), and when you'd be able to bracket and combine exposures.

In short, there's no easy way.

And the physics of camera lenses are such that zooms with less ranges are going to outperform (in many ways -- sharpness, color, contrast, aperture, aberration, etc) lenses with greater zoom ranges (materials, production quality, and design characteristics being comparable.) It's why the best zooms in the Canon system are like 16-35, 24-70, and 70-200. And even then, prime lenses like the 24, 35, 50, 85, etc will outperform and have better low-light capabilities than the zooms. It's just optical physics.

In short, that sort of lens will indeed cover the range you want, but it'll probably autofocus slower, be much softer, have a lot of color fringing, f/6.3 is not fun.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

ghableska posted:

Alright, so I took several shots with a GX1, all in RAW, using the miniature post-processing effect in-camera. But when I open my RAW files in Lightroom or Picasa, the touched-up photo appears briefly before reverting back to a normal photo without any effects added. I'm a little confused on how to recover the in-camera processing version to edit further.

Not positive, but my guess would be that it's just pulling up the JPEG preview embedded in the RAW file because it's quick to render, then it renders the RAW file with default processing. The in-camera processing is all doable in Lightroom -- take a look at your camera's JPEG settings to see what all its doing. It's probably just contrast and saturation.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
Ya'll are crazy. You can take my RAW from my cold dead hands. Unless I'm shooting sports on deadline. Then JPEG all the way.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
I typically go through every frame and mark anything with merit a 1 star. Then, I usually do a pass through the 1-starred photos and cull down a little harder, also trying to select the best out of similar shots. I also notate with a flag stuff that will definitely need Photoshop work -- cloning, compositing, fine masking, warping etc.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
Side topic: how do you guys handle keywording? I've tried to implement it in the past but I never found a satisfying middleground between overly vague and stupidy specific, and having tags that actually encompass a lot of photos. I've been reasonably happy with just my folder system to find specific shoots / events, but I feel like I could be keywording. How are yours set up?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

the posted:

If I know the distance of an object that was filmed by a cellphone, can I figure out how large it was?

Yeah, if you can find the focal length and sensor size of your cell phone camera.

code:
distance to object (mm) = focal length (mm) * real height of the object (mm) * image height (pixels)
                                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                            object height (pixels) * sensor height (mm)
Solve for real height of the object:

code:
real height of the object (mm) = distance to object (mm) * object height (pixels) * sensor height (mm)
                                       ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                    focal length (mm) * image height (pixels)

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
The cat picture looks better to you because when you view the photo large, the discriminating details are larger in the frame and thus look sharper to you.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
The water and the sky aren't perfect reflections. The water is darker and has greater color/tone variation than the sky. That's why you're getting it in the water but not the sky.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
I've been shooting seriously for about 6 years now, and last night I got the biggest compliment and validation of what I've been doing I've ever had. We just got back from our honeymoon about two weeks ago, and my wife after looking through some of the photos I took on the trip said:

"I want you to make me a collection of the photos you take of me in the moments you've caught me after I've relaxed or aren't paying attention and have stopped trying to look good for a photo. Because these photos you've taken of me are beautiful. You make me look like I have a story; like I'm alluring; like I'm someone somebody could be attracted to; I've never had photos of me like this. Sometimes it's hard for me to believe that it's me in these photos. I could put them on my phone and whenever I'm feeling down on myself for whatever reason, I could look at them and feel beautiful."

It really got to me and made me feel the best I've ever felt about my photography.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

triplexpac posted:

OK thanks! I'll start using it more often then.

Any other LR tips that you run on every photo?

I have the default sharpening and noise reduction turned off, and do NR as needed and sharpening as a Photoshop action depending on the use.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm with Combat Pretzel on this one, I don't have Lens Autocorrect on as a default preset in LR for this reason. I'll put the correction on images like 99% of the time but I always like to see it before correction first.

Oh yeah, usually what I do is enable lens correction and then go into the Manual tab and drag the vignetting slider to the left to put that back to its uncorrected state while keeping the distortion correction.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

:psyduck:

I didn't know the manual slider cancelled out the vignette correction from the profile properly. The more you know.

--edit: You also need to set the midpoint to 0 apparently.

I don't have access to a computer, but make sure you're in the manual part of the profile correction and not the post-crop vignetting slider under effects. There should be a distortion slider and then a vignetting slider in the lens correction section.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

Sort of along the same lines, but on a smaller scale, I'm interested in taking shots of my Zippo lighter being struck. I'd like to capture the flint and steel sparks, and the development of the combustion of the naphtha or whatever the fluid is off the wick. I'd like to really get a lot of detail of the sparks, smoke, and flame, and would want to take burst shots to capture as much of each lighting as possible, as each one would be unique.

I'd also be interested in shooting plumes of smoke, either being blown from someone's mouth against a dark background, or the weird "piling" that happens at a certain elevation when a cigarette is held still in an enclosed room.

I have a Canon T2i, the kit lens, a 1.8, and a macro set up with bellows and an El-Nikkor 2.8 enlarging lens, which I could attach directly to the camera. I have a tripod, a flash, and a remote set that I could either use to put the flash off camera, or as a remote trigger.

Anyone have any advice as far as setup that would save me some frustration? I know I'll probably want to shoot either subject against a black background, and with a wide aperture... Does anyone have prior experience this sort of close up, fast shutter stuff?

Light it from behind or the side

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

ArcMage posted:

While we're apparently on the subject of older DSLRs, KEH has bargain-grade 1Dmk2 bodies for an actually affordable price.

Do you think one of these would be remotely usable as a general carry camera?

I don't think I'm likely to afford a better body this decade, but I worry vaguely about overwhelming myself with gear.

E: To clarify, I own and have made much use of a T2i, and am at least marginally familiar with DSLR photography.

I owned a 1D3 for a while.

I think they're phenomenally built cameras, but generally you buy them to take advantage of their speed in autofocus and burst rate, or otherwise need the durability (extreme conditions or constant daily use and travel). If you're not using those features, you're really not getting your money's worth out of them.

For an everyday camera, you're more likely to take advantage of a better sensor (in terms of low light and dynamic range), a bit less bulk, more affordable batteries, etc.

If you like birding, sports, action, or do anything like that, though, where you'd use the speed, they're great cameras.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

rorty posted:

I work in and around contemporary art and I'm interested in interior photography, specifically the interiors of exhibitions. As an academic pursuit (my research and specialties on the academic side are about exhibition design and history), an excuse to spend more time in galleries that will have me and maybe a professional sideline at some point. I've been taking camera phone photos in and around the exhibition I've been working on lately with the intent of doing a little photo and I'm really pleased with how they turned out, I'd like to start looking into how to do it properly.

I'm not skilled as such but I'm completely competent with a DSLR in normal circumstances but I've never used a tripod before or taken anything other than snapshots. I have a rough knowledge of how cameras function and I'm very technically minded.

Now where the gently caress do I start? Is there a go-to text for architectural/interior photography? Do you know anybody who does similar? Etc. I know I'll need a tripod and some particular lenses. Even good people to look at in this line of photography would be helpful.

Super wide lenses, tilt shift / perspective control lenses, gelling lights, adding flashes to the scene to supplement or override the existing light, panoramic stitching, and, if you're feeling crazy, masking out and adjusting individual parts of the scene in Photoshop to have control over every aspect of the image.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

ZippySLC posted:

Yes, and then that turns into a whole trip to Staples to buy rigid paper & glue & whatnot when, if I'm already making a special trip somewhere, I could go visit someone local who has a Lensalign and has experience using it.

Maybe, I don't know?

You really don't have like, a roll of scotch tape and a piece of cardboard?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
Does anyone have Canon Professional Services Gold or Platinum? How are they with their equipment evaluation loans? If I'm able to give them the at least 2 week lead time, is it pretty consistent to expect something within a few days? I'd like to evaluate stuff when I actually have shoots planned, like weddings. Also, do they get mad if you request stuff often?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

Pukestain Pal posted:

You basically get put next in line to when that particular piece of equipment is available. You don't get to pick, and it won't be in a couple days. In your email to them, it wouldn't hurt to tell them exactly when you need it though, maybe they will make it happen. Also be specific which generation of the equipment you want (Mark 2, etc) or you may end up with an older generation eval.

They don't get mad, but you are only supposed to use the service twice a year. I've done it 3 times before and they didn't care.

Oh, where'd you see the twice a year thing? Just looked through the terms and conditions and didn't see anything about that. Maybe it's changed? Or is it an unspoken rule?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

Pukestain Pal posted:

Yeah, it's not a hard rule and to their discretion.

Right on.

I emailed them yesterday saying I wanted to evaluate a 24 tilt shift for an outdoor wedding I have scheduled on the 25th of October, and asked if they could ship it to me for that weekend. They replied today and said they'd ship it October 22nd. Sweet!

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

so what wanna fight about it

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

The right solution depends on volume and other factors, of course.

I delete all my non-selects raws (partly because the d800 generates giant fuckoff files) and keep the rest forever. Someone else will have different requirements and sensible choices.

I typically mark bad expressions, bad exposures, OOF, test shots, etc with a reject flag during my initial run through and delete those. Then, I keep my RAWs in DNG format.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

triplexpac posted:

Edit: I may be thinking in the wrong direction entirely... maybe what I should be looking for is a compact light stand + softbox/umbrella and a backpack I can fit that & my camera gear in?

Yes.

Though bear in mind if you're concerned about bounce an umbrella is going to poo poo light out everywhere -- forward, behind, to the sides, it gives no fucks.

A gridded softbox might be more your speed if you don't want light on your background or bouncing all over the place. To a certain extent, though, a small reflective area is going to limit you unless you go nuts with flagging and shielding poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
The point of DNG is that it's an open, standardized format. CR2, NEF, etc are proprietary, so there is a possibility that down the road if you've got old CR2 files, for instance, you won't be able to open them with modern software. Adobe Camera RAW continually updates to support different camera models' RAW formats because each format encodes its data in different manners. The idea of DNG is that the format is public, so every DNG file has been encoded the same way and is easily readable and decodable. You can take an Olympus RAW file, a Canon RAW file, a Nikon RAW file, etc, and once it's in DNG format, anyone can easily write a DNG decoder for it.