Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

ijyt posted:

Would I be better off with and ND or a CP filter for landscapes?

I often use them together. CP directly on the lens thread, ND on a 100mm Cokin mount over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Pukestain Pal posted:

ND wouldn't help with blown out skys, and polarizers only to a certain degree.

ND will obviously work great for daytime long exposures. You could either do a composite (nothing wrong with that! use luminosity masks) or expose for the sky and fix the rest. Dynamic Range can be a bitch.

I like using grad ND filters. They do help keeping skies highlights in check.

Edit: sorry I didn't see the past two messages.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Pukestain Pal posted:

I just don't like them much. Unless you have a perfect horizon, you still have to fix it all. Not as much, but it's cleaner to just use luminosity masks.

Soft grads can be helpful in that regard. A hard 3 stops ND grad and a soft one occupy very little bag space and can save some editing time.
I guess it's a matter of being accustomed to using them.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Bubbacub posted:

:nyd:

Dorkroom cagefight ITT

Yeah sorry about the confusion guys.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
I have a 3 tb archive of libraries, backed up to another 3 tb disk by means of Time Machine.
When disks are too small to contain my libraries I switch to a new set and the old one remains as an additional backup up to that time.
Since disks are becoming bigger and bigger quickly, I've found this method to be cheap and effective.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

VomitOnLino posted:

I do the same, with the added wrinkle of keeping one of the disks at my workplace locker. So, in the event of disaster my data is also spread out geographically.

For small but important stuff (paperwork, taxes, contracts etc.) there's another backup in "the cloud".

Yeah that's sensible, forgot to mention that my old sets are geographically distributed, too, as it should, really.
Unfortunately my area is prone to earthquakes so I have older sets in a different city altogether.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Creepy Goat posted:

Designing a backdrop for a club photo booth (with all the event and club logos on eww), but the branding of the event is a sandy/cream colour with green and pink on top.

Wondering how terrible the cream backdrop will make people look under harsh flash when having portraits done in the dark club?

From experience I've had good results in warm sunlight with a cream background, but I'm wondering if the bright flash is going to blow out peoples features enough to blend them into the backdrop or make them look ill?

Ringflash? And / or a color gelled strobe for the background. Let's see what other people are coming up with, I'm interested too. :)

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Musket posted:

The best storage solution is to delete everything you shoot cuz its all trash. Thats why you camera has a garbage can button.

Film cameras don't have it. A clear sign of film superiority over digital ^_^

Just joking of course

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Whitezombi posted:

Are you guys keeping a fuckload of images in one Lightroom catalog??

3-4 catalogs a year.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Slavvy posted:

Sadly I can't buy one anywhere otherwise I would. This is extremely interesting and informative, though. Thanks!

Yes you can! Some are even waterproof :D
If you process your own film you will learn how to tear them apart with the least damage to the camera so that you can study it.

http://www.macodirect.de/single-camera-c-706_551.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Disposable-Single-Use-Cameras/ci/2171/N/4288586275

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

8th-snype posted:

A 20k Leica without a screen. That is some poo poo. "Hey why buy 15 Fujis that are better in every way when you can buy this Leica that doesn't even look finished?"

Really a WTF moment for me, too. OTOH, I've heard an explanation by a guy that works for Leica that might make sense.
He says this is not a camera for people who shoot picture but rather an investment.

As an investment I'd rather buy art produced with a great camera than a camera, but I guess to each their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

huhu posted:

I'm watching random video tutorials and such and one guy was spraying flowers with a spray bottle to get that, "just after sunrise effect" and another guy kept dragging a piece of driftwood along the beach in a sunset over the ocean shot to get it nicely placed in the picture. What the gently caress? Why do people do this poo poo?

Guilty as charged here, often when I take a pic of a lake I ask one of my kids to throw a rock in it to create a ripple. Cheesy isn't it. :3: