Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

xzzy posted:

Technology wise, your data is being written out to tape. That's why retrieval is so slow, you have to wait for a robot to pull the tape out of storage and stick it in a tape drive so it can read your files into a disk cache.

It's slow, but it sounds awesome to know a robot is retrieving your files for you haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

xzzy posted:

Well, it's not like one of those toyota bipedal robots. It's just a rubber grip that moves around on rails and grabs tape.. like the infamous tape fight in Hackers.

Still awesome :colbert:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
So I'm new to photography... is there anything I need to worry about when shooting outside in our cold, Canadian winter? I don't want to ruin my new camera cause I wanted to take pretty pictures of snow.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Ringo R posted:

A photo magazine has contacted me and wants to use some of my shots for a feature. They say there is a fee depending on how my shots are used. Is that normal? They want me to pay them to use my shots? I thought it was the other way around :/

I design magazines for a living, and I have never ever gotten a photographer to pay me to use their images haha. You are correct that payment should go the other way. Sounds like a scam to me.

What's the name of the magazine, if you don't mind my asking?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

ZippySLC posted:

I want to print out all of your photos. What's your address so I can send you my invoice?

You'll have to pay me more if I want to blow them up though, I have costs to cover here sheesh

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
So I want to buy a tripod. What kind of weight do I need it to carry, if I'm using a Rebel t3i with a 50mm portrait or kit lens and a flash?

I don't want to break the bank, but I also don't want to buy something cheapo that I'll hate. If anyone has recommendations that would be great.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
$100-150 sounds reasonable to me, so I'll check out those ones you recommended. Thanks!

Edit: If Benro is good, I found this one that looks pretty decent: http://www.vistek.ca/store/ProPhotoTripods/252907/benro-a2580f-classic-tripod-aluminum-flip-lock.aspx

Edit2: I didn't realize the mefoto backpacker comes with the head, that's pretty appealing to me. I'll probably just go for that then!

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 14, 2014

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I bought a YN565EX external flash to use with my Canon t3i/600D. It's working pretty well, only thing is I can't get into the external flash func. setting menu.

Is this normal? Is the flash just not compatible with this, since it's not a Canon flash?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

mclifford82 posted:

Yes, it has to be an actual Canon speedlight to get into that menu. There may be offbrands that trick it somehow but I wasn't able to do it on my T4i

Ok, thanks! Just making sure I wasn't doing something wrong.

What would be in that menu, anyway? The stuff that I can change using the actual on-flash controls, I assume?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

xenilk posted:

You can trick it by buying the wireless triggers from yongnuo... those works fine with my 6D/5DMKII

Actually that's the other thing I was thinking...

I'm still figuring all this out, are wireless triggers recommended even though my t3i can do wireless on it's own? The way I understand it, the triggers make the flash less dependant on line of sight.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I have a terribly hard time taking pictures of anything that isn't a person... I just don't have an eye for framing scenes. It's something I'll have to work on, because I love when people can do it well.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

MrBlandAverage posted:

What does banality have to do with the value of the photo, though? Not every good landscape photo is going to be Adams' "Tetons and The Snake River" or "Moon and Half Dome." There's just as much value in looking more closely at the everyday scenes that surround us.

Typical attitude from MrBlandAverage :colbert:

Not serious, just thought the username/post combo was funny.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Lots of words lately in this thread for what amounts to "I found it visually interesting so I took a picture of it :shobon:"

Well, I do find it interesting when people are able to break down what makes an image "visually interesting".

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Do people generally use Lens Corrections in Lightroom on most of your shots, or leave it as shot in camera?

I'll do it if I mis-shot something and need to straighten out a brick wall, but now I'm trying it on some of my 50mm portraits and even still it's slightly adjusting things.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
OK thanks! I'll start using it more often then.

Any other LR tips that you run on every photo?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
So I'd like to get into doing some studio photography. I found a studio that's well within my price range, but the issue is that I've never worked with studio strobes or continuous lights before.

Is this one of those things where I learn by doing? Or is there some guide for dummies on how to ease into a studio environment?

I've been using my off camera flash a lot, not sure how different it is using "professional" lights. I don't have any triggers though, I've just been using the built-in

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Quantum of Phallus posted:

There's great guides online but yeah, you should definitely learn by practicing. You might come up with something cool :) I dunno if it's possible but maybe try to sit in on someone else's session to see how the setup of the studio works?

That's not a bad idea at all, I do have some acquaintances who do studio photography.

I've done a ton of reading & such on different lighting setups, but for me it's the practical stuff that I don't know. Basically how to physically set the things up, make sure the flashes are synched with my camera, etc. The technical stuff, not so much the lighting theory.

Edit: Just emailed the studio I'm interested in booking, and they say they give an intro to the equipment when you go there. So looks like that's covered!

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 28, 2014

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

red19fire posted:

Paying for photo-taking is a big part of con culture. That 3rd rate WWE star needs that $5 per picture to live! I shot at Wizard Con for a comic book publisher, and got a stern talking to for taking a picture of the murderer's row of 'celebrities' without paying each of them 5 bucks or whatever.

5 bucks??? Whenever I go to a con the autographs are like $25 minimum, with anyone I've heard of clocking in at like $50-100+

What a nice gig that would be.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
So I'm looking into renting a photography studio, and they say they have "two 250 watt lights that come with light reflectors"

That would be continuous light, right? Does anyone have any idea if this setup would be useful?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, I just figured I would ask.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Speaking of live view, I just got my 5D classic and realized it doesn't have that feature haha. I used it a ton on my t3i, it's going to take some getting used to, using the viewfinder.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

CarrotFlowers posted:

Well I was hoping for something that I can upload old files to and get them off my computer. I currently have them on external hard drives but was told in another thread that they fail often, so I'd like something more robust. I don't anticipate needing access to them often, if at all, but I would like to have the option for my clients say 3-4 years down the road if something catastrophic happens like their house burns down or something. Small chance of it actually happening, but I would like that option.

I seem to be the only one, however.

Nah I'm in the same boat. I have tons of PSDs and such that I'd love to backup someplace where I can get them if a client needs to reprint something from a few years back.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

evil_bunnY posted:

Just get an instax already

I actually kinda want one, seems like fun to gently caress around with

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Is there a recommended site to store files online? I have gigs of photos & design files I want to get off my computer, so something that just backs up what's currently on my HD doesn't work for me.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

SoundMonkey posted:

This comes up every once in a while, there are a bunch of good options but I personally use Amazon Glacier, since it's dirt cheap (a cent per gig per month) and I don't mind retrieval times of 6-8 hours (hey guess why it's so cheap).

Hmm yes I've heard of Glacier, it's worth checking out! Just curious, do you know a couple of the other good options off the top of your head? Just to compare

Most the services I've been founding mirror your hard drive, which isn't really helpful for me. I just want someplace I can shove files to get them off my hard drive and not have to worry about my backup hard drive dying or apartment burning down

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
This is probably a dumb question, but I'm still new to studio photography and trying to figure it all out.

I have a 5D classic, with three lenses: a Canon 40mm, a Canon 50mm, and a Tamron 70-300.

What would be the best for studio photography?

I've read that 85mm is generally best for portraits, so should I just stick with the Tamron? I like using the 50 when shooting outside to get blurrier depth of field, but when shooting on a backdrop I'm not so sure what to use.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I shoot a lot of portraits, sometimes using my strobe. Should I get a light meter? Right now I find getting the right exposure involves a lot of chimping.

If so, is there a recommended LM to get?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

William T. Hornaday posted:

It's still there, but probably just updated at some point and the link broke.

AUTOMATIC LOFTS by Brad Gillette, on Flickr

EDIT: The screenshot one is gone though.

There's some uncanny valley poo poo happening here

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

HPL posted:

Almost any photographic equipment can pass the wife/girlfriend test if you use it to take really nice photos of them.

Sadly my wife can't really tell the difference between good and bad photography, so this doesn't work :smith:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I bought the Tamron 70-300 to cover a bike polo game, I was really happy with it.

http://dandyhorsemagazine.com/blog/2014/06/21/ladies-army-6-international-bike-polo-tournament-is-in-toronto-now/

That's the only time I used it though, since I generally do portrait photography and find my 50mm a bit easier to lug around.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
So last night I was supposed to meet a model around 7, which was great because the sunlight was perfect.

Of course her makeup took too long and we didn't end up meeting until 8. At that point the sun had dipped below the trees, making the whole situation a bit difficult.

What do you do to get more flattering light at this time of night? Getting catchlights and all that good stuff is tricky without the sun to play with.

Here's a few shots (unretouched, so... don't judge them too hard). First shot is natural light, second shot is using a reflector, third is (obviously) flash.

I couldn't get the flash off camera because I somehow forgot one of my triggers. This was not my best shoot haha.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Haha I know right? When she kept texting me with delays, I was expecting the greatest makeup job I'd ever seen.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I asked this in the post processing thread, but it might be kinda dead:

I'm trying to get better at carving / dodge & burn. I seem to remember seeing a website once that had a bunch of simple 3d models that would show how lighting should form on a face, to use as reference. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Thanks, that's a good one! The one I was thinking of was this:

http://www.planesofthehead.com/memorized_head_detail.php

I thought there were more examples on that site but I guess not.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
What do you guys recommend for sensor cleaning? I bought a little blower thing and it did an ok job, but I have a clump of pesky dust in the corner that I can't get to.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

huhu posted:

How should I go about handling pictures of little children? I live in rural Panama and it's pretty common for children under five years old to be either naked or just have something covering up the bottom. I'm a little wary about Googling this question.

I'm confused, is this something you want to photograph and are wondering how to go about it? Or are you taking pictures of other stuff and naked kids accidentally run into frame? Or are parents asking you to take photos of their naked children?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Back-button focus question:

For those of you who use it for portrait photography, what's your setup like? Do you have it set up that the back button locks focus and the shutter locks exposure? Or do you have the back button lock both?

I get that the flexibility of locking each separately, but the shutter button on the 5d is weird and doesn't have a "half way lock" or whatever you call that feeling when you click in the shutter part way.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

evil_bunnY posted:

I have AE lock on shutter half press on my d800, unless I know I'm going to shoot backlit.

Yeah actually, this is what raised the question, I tried some backlit shots and had a hell of a time getting it looking right.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
So I'm trying to free up space on my computer. I have tons of images saved in RAW format in Lightroom, and I'd like to just convert them all into JPG to save space. I've already retouched the ones I'd want, so I can't imagine being too sad about losing all the outtakes raw files.

Is there a way to do this easily? I'm guessing I would just highlight all the old photos, batch export them to high-rez jpegs, delete the files from my library and re-add the new ones? Or is there a better way I'm not thinking of?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Don't storage space shame me guys, some of us don't have $80 to spend on cheap hard drives!!!

Nah it's cool, you're right. This is a lot faster and easier than compressing all my outtakes haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
When I'm feeling grumpy I set my WB to cloudy so it reflects my mood