Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polarize
Jul 12, 2007
The lights go on, the lights go off
I don't know if it'd really be that useful. Not to discredit these classes or anyone here that happens to still teach, but through youtube and just taking lots of pictures trying out different settings would get you to roughly the same place in the end, + $175 that you could possibly use to invest in better glass, a flash, etc.

Looking at the course description, depending on your camera, a lot of things are built in already.

Composition - grid lines on your viewfinder / live view. Rule of thirds for example.

Proper exposure - F-stop determines how much light to let in, shutter speed determines how long to let that light in for. Your camera has very good Auto, Shutter and Aperture priority modes that you can experiment with.

etc.

I think photography schools may just be a carry over from film days. I could understand shelling out the money for classes when there is the cost of wasted film and time for developing but in this digital age, if you take a picture and it's not what you want, you can simply delete it instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polarize
Jul 12, 2007
The lights go on, the lights go off
I've had a crack in an old 17-50mm before in the exact same area. As far as I can remember, the front element of the lens is attached inside the barrel and doesn't actually touch that plastic; that ring is only there for a filter and the hood.

If you can, put on a UV filter and carefully snap on the hood and leave it in place. Those two together should be able to hold everything tight in place without permanently (epoxy or glue) loving with anything.