Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Does anyone have a practical guide to composition that goes beyond Rule of Thirds? one thing I'm quite bad at is composing my photos quickly and I think if I had a set of rules to learn off first I'd learn a lot faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Thanks! I have accsess to a university library I should probably use it.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Four Banger posted:

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I have a question.

I just recently started shooting in RAW, but every picture seems to have a lot of blue noise in it, especially in black areas and on that longest sides of the image when I view it in light room. When I export it as a JPEG it dissapears. Is this something that happens with RAW? Is it LR? Am I doing something wrong? Am I an idiot?

Taking a guess here, most jpeg compressors have some form of noise reduction (in that the way they store color data ends up acting like noise reduction). Which can be a bad thing.
I'm probably wrong.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

MrBlandAverage posted:

When you're in Develop press J. I think you have the shadow/highlight clip warning on.

If this is the case I will laugh and laugh and laugh.

In Lightroom in the Gridview is there anyway to make the images load straight up I'm sick of waiting five seconds for each image to go from pixelated to fine. I tried rendering standard sized previews at 1680 but that doesn't change anything.

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 1, 2010

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Question, what would be the formula for DOF on a 1.6x crop?

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

spog posted:

Do you really want the formula?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field#Derivation_of_the_DOF_formulas

Or an easy-to-use calculator?

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
I need something I can take with me outdoors :(

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

DJExile posted:

I just came across some company that makes these really handy sort of turn-wheel charts and for the life of me I can't remember where it was or who it was. I'll try to find it.

Edit: Fuckin' bingo. I don't know how good they are or if anyone's tried them, but they seem like a great idea.

Thanks :) Ahah This would be fantastic were it not like 40$

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

evil_bunnY posted:

Score an iPhone, problem solved!
TBH it's easy enough to remember what kind of apertures are going to gently caress you if you aren't careful. (85mm f/1.8 at 1m? Better triple check focus)

Ha, the reason I'm doing this is I'm having subjects jump/flip INTO focus and I want to set up some lines for them to use as guides, I was thinking just having three stakes out of shot so they can line themselves up :P

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

psylent posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaand they want to charge $53 delivery to Australia. loving stupid arse end of the world country.

Amen brother.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
I feel like a real amateur asking this but will a tele converter increase minimum focusing distance? I'm asking because I do a fair amount of cinematography on my camera and, being full frame, occasionally I'm asked for an extreme close up that I can't get with my regular lenses because the minimum focusing distance is too large. If I want to shoot just an actors eye I can't currently because none of my lenses can get that close in and still focus. Sadly I don't have the money for a macro lens so I'm looking for a cheaper solution.

(It'd also be nice to be able to use my 200mm as a ~300mm or ~400mm for those clichéd Hollywood long shots, which is why I'm not quite so keen on tubes)

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

dakana posted:

The TC won't increase your MFD, but it won't decrease it either. It magnifies the image, so if you use a 2x on a 200mm lens, you'll get a 400mm FoV from the same spot. So if your 200mm is filling the frame with the actor's head, you might be able to fill the frame with the actor's eye with a 2x TC.

Keep in mind it'll degrade image quality and take away 1 stop of light for a 1.4x and 2 stops of light for a 2x (which means you lose autofocus if your lens is originally f/4 and you use a 2x, or if it's originally f/5.6 and you use either). I'm not sure how those will affect video... I guess video is a bit more forgiving than still photos.

Yeah, it's not uncommon to see teleconverters on DSLR sets, if your image is only 1080 rather than 5000 you can get away with a bit more. This more or less answers my question. Thank you.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
I've seen T-stops used on high-end Cine lenses, presumably because of the necessity of maintaining equal exposure between two shots.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Mightaswell posted:

What's with the blue cast in this picture I took?

Lexi and Simon by Winston85, on Flickr

Looks like glare from a bright spot on the couch hitting the lens at a sharp angle.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Whole lotta black in that image. Guessing the camera was trying to expose off that hence the constant over-exposure.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Since the photo-business thread has disappeared (or I'm blind) I thought I'd ask this here. I was looking into theft and accidental damage insurance for my gear. I was having a chat to a rep at Aon (http://www.aon.com.au/australia/default.jsp) who come highly recommended from a friend, and I'd been informed that it was a good thing to be totally honest with my company, lest it come and bite me in the rear end. So when I was asked if this was for professional work I said yes, because I occasionally do events and work as a camera operator, and I didn't want to get in poo poo if my gear was broken during something like that.

The girl then notified me that I "needed" public liability insurance, and more than doubled my quote to factor this in, now 90% of the time if I'm on set then I'm covered by the producer's insurance and I don't see myself running a mobile studio any-time soon so why do I need it? I get the feeling the girl was misinformed but I'd really like to get this sorted so my gear's safe. Should I just say it's for personal use (which it is most of the time) or what? I live in Perth, Australia.

EDIT: Just found the photo business thread but I'll leave this here since I really need it answered.

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 12, 2011

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Grazing Occultation posted:

Is she saying that you "need" it or they won't cover you at all or that you "need" it because she thinks it's vital to your profession and desperately wants to sell it to you?

It sounded like the second, I didn't push too hard because I wanted to research more.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

nielsm posted:

What's the point of this?

:ughh:

The accessory shoe is clearly intended to face that way but that's not very useful, is it?
This isn't much of a question, I know.

Do you mean mounted on the side? Because it kind of has to be there, the viewfinder is on the top and pretty much takes the entirety of the topmost face, the camera currently has it's viewfinder cover down.. If you mean pointing towards the user then I think that's the way they've got the sync->hotshoe adapter placed, not the camera's shoe-mount itself.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Been having some issues with events (parties) recently, I shoot a 5d2 with a Vivitar DF383 flash, and I'm having a higher than usual rate of overblown subjects, in that quite often the people I'm shooting will be a half stop to a stop over, It's not quite a wash out, but it leaves skin-tones overblown.
I normally shoot full manual, at whatever settings match the type of event, normally 1/50th at f4.0, with centre weighted metering, flash compensation down a stop and I normally fire the flash straight up (lots of low ceilings) with a bounce card to fill. I've experimented with partial metering (that's the JUST centre circle, not spot)but the result is often the same. My Ettl is set to Evaluative.

Has anyone encountered this issue before? I would just try using Exposure lock but the exposure flash tends to trick people into thinking the photos been taken, and as the night goes on I don't have the time to hit an extra button to expose. It's quite frustrating because no matter how low I turn the flash compensation the effect is the same.

EDIT: My flash's zoom varies depending on the time of night, it starts at 35mm when I'm doing sober portraits then widens to 24mm when the wideangle lens goes on.

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 11, 2011

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Paragon8 posted:

Pay me what you think I'm worth sounds like something that should work well but it rarely does. I'd say just do it for a pizza or something and don't stress about it.

Yeah this, I shot a family friend's 21st way back, rather than charging the usual 200$ for the night I just asked for some booze in return. She was so happy I ended up with 15 litres of my favourite cider so that all worked out.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Dead Alice posted:

Anyone able to give me a quick run down on how to test if a Minolta Trip 35's light meter still works? Some guy is selling one real cheap but I don't know anything about the specifics and he's being unhelpful about it.

Buy a grey card, put it in even light, get a DSLR, set it to spot or centre metering with the same Shutter/ISO as your Minotola, if the Minotola shows near the same fstop when pointed at the greycard then its probably accurate?

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Syrinxx posted:

What's the usefulness of a circular polarizing filter?

I have one and it's in a mount that I can turn 360 degrees but I thought only linear polarizing filters needed to be turned? When should I use this thing and what's the procedure for doing so?

The science behind the difference between a linear and a circular polarizer escapes me, but in short a circular polarizer will cut light coming from a direct angle, say a reflection off water, off leaves or light coming from parts of the sky. You choose that angle by rotating the filter.

When you use it is dependent on what you're shooting: Forest scene looking a little too drab? Mount the filter and rotate until the reflections on the leaves are cut, making everything appear more saturated. Shooting a film in a building with lots of glass? Use the polariser to cut reflections from said glass. Sky not looking dramatic enough? If you're facing away from the sun whack it on and twist till the blues look suitably epic.

I don't think I ever shoot outside without one on!

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

David Pratt posted:

Ones with a lower focal length. A standard lens is 50mm which roughly equates to the field of view of the human eye. A wide-angle lens (<50mm) will give you a more distorted, wider field of view than the human eye. An extreme example of this is a fish-eye lens.

edit: Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focal_length#In_photography

Regarding this, one thing I've noticed is that the focal length that "matches" my open eye to my view finder eye is actually 70mm (on a full frame), almost bang on, 50mm produces a slight desynchronization between the two. Do I have funky eyes or is it because the focal plane is actually a little bit more forward than that of the eye or what?

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
If I'm doing street photography I normally just wear a beer hat with two bottles of vodka mounted to it. It's like a race against my liver to see if I can get a good shot before I pass out.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
So I've come into possession of a Metz 45CT3 flash with a SCA300 handle attachment. I'm wanting to see if I can hook this up to my 5dmk2 with TTL or AE1 with PC Sync but my research has not been going well, Metz's part numbering system is quite complex and convoluted. Does anyone here know anything about these systems?

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

TheLastManStanding posted:

As far as I know, PC doesn't support ttl (it's just a high and a ground so I don't see how it could, but I could be wrong). If you mean you're just trying to hook it up then you'll have to test it to see what the trigger voltage is.

I understand what PC Sync is :) what I mean is that I'd like to hook it up to my 5dmk2 for TTL, but if that fails PC sync it to my AE1, since (insofar as I know) that doesn't do TTL.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

MrBlandAverage posted:

In case it wasn't clear, your 5D2 has a PC sync socket as well.

Haha, yup, but I'd very much like to see if this thing can do TTL, and also Metz flashes don't have the traditional sync plug so I'm at a loss there too.

VVV This made me note that they're similar models so I should be able to get away with similar cables. Now I need to find a store to go test my theories.

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 2, 2012

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
So I'm needing to get my sensor cleaned, my local offers cleaning for $77AUD, 4 pack of sensor swabs for $55 and 12 for 110, the guy didn't sound too pleased when I mentioned I should probably just buy the swabs and do it myself since it's two isolated spots that I know the location of. He mentioned if it's something that ends up scratching the sensor then obviously nooone will cover it under warranty. If I'm gentle how much of a concern is this? Is it just a marketing thing to get more people in or is a very prevalent concern?

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
I don't sadly, only one 5d series body, I don't even qualify for Silver! Thanks though.

VVVVVVV Yeah it's definitely not moving with just air. Can tell you that much. EDIT: Actually I lied, I had another go with my blower and I think I've got it to an acceptable stage now! Thanks for putting that idea in my brain.

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 10, 2012

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Not sure if this is the thread for this, but what's a good stock photography site to sell to? I'm thinking that I could use some of my landscape work for some funsies money but this is definitely an area where you can get scammed badly.

Alternatively is there a site that you can just sell photos on in general? I'm not really ready to start a print-business yet but I feel I'm up of a good enough calibre that I can throw my images up and get a few hits.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Sodium lamps are horrifically warm so I wouldn't try to balance to them, best to balance to whatever light is falling on your subject them mask/correct the other areas. I wish more places would use metal halides, they might be green but at least they're a reasonable temperature.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
In general its useful for judging if the majority of the photo is in the correct zone. Depends, if you're shooting an extreme closeup of the face you can pretty much expose by placing the huge spike in the histo in the correct area. It's a very useful tool that can help you dodge the trap of shoddy rear-LCDs, or in my case, piss-poor uncalibrated rental reference monitors.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Quickie: Is Understanding Exposure relevant to more advanced shooters or is it only a beginners text. I feel I know my poo poo regarding exposure, but I'm always looking for a chance to consolidate and broaden my understanding, am I going to be bored learning about how to eliminate handshake or does it get more indepth?

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Reichstag posted:

It is only useful as far as understanding the basics. If you have the idea of the triangle down (iso-aperture-shutter) and how a light meter works, I don't think there's much else in there.

Saved me $20, thanks. Any recommendations for someone who's trying to step up their game as a professional.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Max Facetime posted:

I was comparing the picture quality from the native camera app in my Lumia 920 with a HDR app on a desktop monitor when I noticed something. There's a small faint reddish band in the sky that looks like lens flare and then there's a much bigger red-green band that's visible in the reflection of the sky in the water but not in the sky itself.

What's this red-green band in the water?

At work with lovely monitors but from what I can tell its banding from the jpeg. Basically there are not enough colours in the gamut of 8-bit jpegs to accurately render such a graduation of colour so it ends up in bands.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Max Facetime posted:

I'm a bit skeptical of this explanation. Shouldn't there be banding in the sky too? Here's a portion of the original image which is a 3552x2000 JPG, as a PNG for a closer look:

Could this be a physical effect, some sort of prism-like refraction from layers of colder and warmer water?

Nope, if we're looking at the same green bands the pixelated nature of it means it's a digital issue. For reference I'm looking at the hard step from yellow to pink to green to bluish grey that's present. Banding is more present in darker areas as I think the gamut peters off towards black. This is very present in video and is one reason why DSLR video is so lovely to grade. You're out of colours. Use a format that has more :)

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

CarrotFlowers posted:

I have also yet to find an online or local photography club that isn't like flickr (except here). Most people are more concerned about hurting someone's feelings and offering praise as encouragement than actually critiquing a photo.

I used to think my photos were awesome and now looking back I cringe. I kind of hope I feel the same way in a year about the photos I take now, which I take as a sign that I'm improving.

I think the biggest thing for me is to critically view my own work, and it's something I still struggle with. Regardless of what other people think about your photos, what really matters is how you feel about it. For a long time I tried to force myself into a style of photography that I felt was more valued as art, and then I realised I just like taking nice pictures of people and that's what makes me happy.

This is what I like about Dorkroom: When I'm wrong, I'm wrong as hell and I'll be told that. And that's tough but it's fine.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Sigma also makes some beastly telephotos for around the 900-1500 AUD mark that'd be useful for birding if you're happy lugging an extra kilo around.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

TheJeffers posted:

It's about to fall into the archives, but I wrote a lengthy post on this subject a while back.

For me, it really helped to read some books/articles about art fundamentals like line/form and color theory, as well as photo-specific books dealing with light and tone. The idea of the components of a picture serving as linguistic elements with certain meanings resonated strongly with me. It's helped me to get out of the mindset of going out and snapping things that merely "looked cool." When I pick up a camera now, I really try to either go into a shoot knowing what I want the end result to look like in my mind's eye, or barring that, I try to compose the picture in a way that makes artistic sense with the subject matter. If you can abstract a picture into lines, forms, and colors, and if you know what the common "meanings" of those things are, you can appeal to people who are equally familiar with those things with your work or know what your picture is "saying" if you choose to bend or break the conventionally accepted understanding of what those things mean.

At this point, the hardest part of photography for me is the thinking that goes into producing a photo, not the physical act of taking the picture.
Any recommendations on the articles about art fundamentals? I feel my grasp of light and tone is at a good level, but I fall apart when it comes to composition.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Ropes4u posted:

Do people really use that site?

I work with a guy who is a legit good photographer and he regularly gets in touch with aspiring and semi-pro models through MM, the community is godawful but it's like any resource: Use it well and it'll help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Everytime someone asks about constant v. strobes I just want to take them on a set with me, point at the big rear end 2.5KW HMI pretending to be a sun and go "That's your 580EX". In terms of sheer lighting power, stills is much much easier. Flashes also generally render color much much better than LEDs, even the professional panels I'm not huge on for anything but news shooting, they're either too green, too blue or not bright enough. while there's been some jumps in LED technology over the last decade, part of the reason they've come into their own in video is more so to do with more sensitive cameras, we used to be limited to around 200-320ISO for our 'ideal' film stock and you'd probably pick a tungsten stock anyway so that lighting interiors wasn't a massive hassle, meaning anything daylight either needed to be gelled or you needed a 85 on the camera, so you were now shooting at ~50 or 100ISO. Kids nowadays with their base 800ISO Epics and BMCCS, if you're not actively sunburning your cast I don't see the point in even making a film.