Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've never noticed anyone taping over their camera. From the protection point of view, what would you be taping over? It seems like there's almost no empty space on my 550D to put tape on.

As for theft, theoretically it could make sense, I think. Thieves that don't specialize on cameras aren't going to be able to tell the difference between the alphanumeric soups that are the standard now (the ancient Nikon D50 vs current Canon 50D, KonicaMinolta 7D vs Canon 7D, etc) anyway. However those that do (and I suspect there are such people), knowing if the camera is a $9k Leica, $5k 1D mk4, or a 500D with a battery grip would significantly affect their risk/benefit judgment. Or maybe not :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

subx posted:

mobby_6kl posted this awesome picture of the above lens (I don't know where he saw it):

It's from this field report with that lens. Besides a few sample shots, it also has a photo with the model sitting next to this lens, and it seems to be about as big as the girl's torso :gonk:

Regarding extenders, as I understand, while (say) doubling the focal length, they also halve the maximum aperture, so for this same lens 200-500 f/2.8 becomes 400-1000 f/5.6... which is as fast as my kit lens at 55mm :(. Speaking of which, is it possible to use more than one at the same time? F/11.2 at 2000mm still shouldn't be too bad for daytime shooting.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I while ago Microsoft published some information on doing this by using gyroscopes and some other bolt-on stuff. This is the before/after examples obviously, they look pretty good, but then, the source image wasn't that bad:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Uhg, not sure if this goes here or perhaps in the Canon thread, but whatever. Is there any way to set the self-timer for anything other than 2 seconds on a 550D? Apparently I volunteered my camera for a team shoot at work tomorrow, but I don't have a remote trigger and a hack involving my 10 year old WM PDA doesn't work at more than a few meters indoors, so probably will be completely useless outdoors.

Worst case is that we'll get someone unimportant to push the button, so no big deal if there's no way to do that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Legdiian posted:

I just looked at the manual and it says you can pick 10s or 2s. It looks like the 10s setting might be the same one you choose for remote triggering, so that could be confusing. Also, if you use "Self Timer Continuous" and set it for only 2 shots, that could be a work around, because continuous mode waits 10 seconds.

Haha, yeah, the remote triggering confused me :doh: Thanks!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nilson posted:

current LR version is 3.5, so I suspect this is the right answer. 3.5 will read any Canon cr2 file.

Raw files from my 550D work fine with LR 3.0, the about box says Camera Raw is at 6.1.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wouldn't Elements be using the same Camera RAW thing as regular Photoshop? In that case it's very comprehensive and has probably everything that Lightroom does. However, for photography there's really no comparison in terms of workflow. Photoshop is great to swap two people's heads or enlarge someone's boobs, but when you have hundreds of photos from vacation or a photoshoot to process, only Lighroom will let you do that in reasonable time without going crazy.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If there's WiFi on the wedding end, you could use any video capable SLR with HDMI out (or USB, I guess) and stream it via a laptop in a backpack. This should give you a bit more control over everything as well as more power for good compression and higher bandwidth.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone here have experience with a service that can print my photos into some sort of a book (~10 pages) and send like 5 copies to different addresses in the US? Everything needs to be done online as I'm not in the states now, and ideally a few of the pages could be different for each recipient. Also, cheap, so it doesn't have to be super-professional, just not embarrassingly lovely as these are just some vacation photos I promised to share.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks, I had no idea Walrmat even does this stuff. Their custom hard-cover books are pretty much exactly what I was looking for. It only seems to be missing the ability to print across pages, including the inside of the cover, but I could deal with that unless there's a reasonable alternative. Also it's not clear what kind of paper weight they're using, the album I have as a reference (also has photos printed across pages too) had pretty heavy paper (like 0.35-0.4mm) and that gives it a very nice, solid feeling.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
I just bought the cheapest one for my 550D from Ebay. Works perfectly fine, although it might not last quite as long.

CRAYON posted:

I can't vouch for the service because I haven't used it, but Artifact Uprising looks pretty neat.

eco edit: recycled paper!

Thanks, this looks pretty great! The hardcovers are too expensive for too many pages (>$70 for 50p) but their softcovers do look very nice.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Need some help with a speedlite here. I'm at a wedding and got a 580ex2 from a friend but it won't work with my 550d. The flash is recognized and I can configure it through the menu, but when shooting the camera doesn't expose for the flash and shoots without it firing. The pilot led is red and it follows the zoom so I'm clueless as to what might be the missing piece.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Wooten posted:

Just hit the mode button until it says M and mess with it until you're comfortable. If its not firing it might not be seated correctly on the hotshoe.

Thanks, but I didn't mange to get working. Might be something with the camera so I'll ask another friend to test with his speedlite.

Edit: Just checking the photos. At least half of the men, including the bride's father, have the bottom buttons on their suits buttoned. Business casual is as formal as I typically get so I'm the last person to go all nazi about this but :cmon:

Also, if the photographer you got for the wedding is shooting with a nifty fifty, well, it's too late to reconsider your choice.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 22, 2014

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

timrenzi574 posted:

Were they double breasted jackets? You button all of those (and leave them buttoned when you sit so they better be tailored right :) )

Better than buttoning errors is when people leave the vents sewed shut on their jackets. That never fails to amuse me

As far as your flash - I wonder if the trigger pin on your shoe is damaged, but the communications ones are all good. Either that or the shutter is not sending voltage to it and the damage is there.

Nope, regular three-button suits mostly, I think. Haven't noticed any sewed vents, at least.

You might be right about the trigger pin damage, I had the camera fall out of the bag recently. It wasn't too high and there's no damage that I could see anywhere, but the pin connection might have gotten hosed up. Is there any way to check it with a multimeter?

Pukestain Pal posted:

I've always felt with upgrading you camera you have to think about if you are shooting beyond it's limits and skill. If you are, time to upgrade. If not, there isn't too much of a point other than gear envy.

I'm constantly itching to get a 5D II/III but always stop myself when I realize that it's going to make my lovely photos only marginally better, and that I'd be better off spending that on activities where I get to shoot more and/or lenses.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ok so if Capture One is so awesome, can someone who used it post a few direct comparisons with Camera RAW output?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's an extremely exaggerated example of IPS glow, which is indeed a thing. But it's either a very defective piece, or most likely it's due to the exposure used for the photo, which can make it look much worse than it is. Normally even if small amounts are visible with the naked eye on a purely black image, it won't be at all visible in actual use.

Still, if you don't want to risk with a Dell, you'll probably need to pay up for something like an Eizo or NEC.

You might want to try asking here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3372494

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is Lightroom supposed to update in place? I had 5.6 installed and when I downloaded the offered update, it just wants to install separately. Not sure if that's how it's supposed to work or my existing installation is screwed up.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The PO or someone (probably me) smacked around my Tamron 17-50 and as a result the plastic ring around the front element developed a crack, sometimes causing one side of it to pop out.

I took off the decorative cover exposing the screws that hold the ring so actually replacing it shouldn't be a problem, but I wasn't able to find a replacement part. Does anyone know what exactly should I be searching for, or better yet, where can it be bought cheaply?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Yeah, I was just trying to think of a shooting situation where the amount of light was so overwhelming that 1/8000 + f22 + ND filter would be insufficient to prevent blowing out the image, thus making even smaller apertures useful. I guess taking a picture of a nuclear explosion? Or the surface of the sun from space? The point I was trying to get across was that aperture smaller than f22 seems unnecessary to me in pretty much any real-life situation.

But I guess I'm basing my conjecture on just one aspect of aperture: that it controls the amount of light coming into the camera. I know it also affects depth of field. But in the case of my kit lens, going down past f22 doesn't seem to produce any appreciable gains in DoF, and just makes edges softer.

1/8000 and f22 should of course be enough to prevent any blowout, the only semi-realistic scenario I can think of is if you want a long exposure under bright sunlight - at 1/10 or something, keeping exposure in check can be quite tricky unless you have a dozen ND filters or something.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Comrade Koba posted:

Since both the My First DSLR and Rookie Questions threads have fallen into the archives, is this where you post dumb newbie questions about entry-level DSLR:s?
Sure, why not :justpost:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The cool thing about EF is that you can get cheap new lenses, too! The nifty fifty, panckake 24 or 40mm, a bunch of kit zooms are also very reasonably priced brand new, and even cheaper used, without all the fungus and other poo poo to deal with truly ancient glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My Canon M50 stopped taking pictures randomly. Video still works and I can use the electronic shutter in the scene mode but in normal modes, the screen goes black for a moment as normal but the shutter doesn't trigger.

Is there any trick to get it unstuck? I'm travelling in Italy so this is really not cool.