Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Hu Fa Ted posted:

Your point is valid, and maybe this is an over-abundance of caution. But when my hands are covered with grease or covered in metal chips (ow ow ow) I just keep the iphone in a plastic baggy. When I need to concentrate on a bandsaw or the lathe I can stuff it in my pocket.

Up above I posted a link for a articulating arm, I don't know anything about them but I guess I could see having a few around mounted near the machine. I think my D40 has a remote IR shutter capability?

The d40 does have support for the remote, and the remote is dirt cheap I think (10 or 15 bucks?). You can get one for even cheaper if you go with an off brand version instead (amazon has some for 3 bucks).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

And any of the android tablets that have a full size usb port can use an sd card reader just fine.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

I don't know about his situation but my problem with it is that the android tablets don't generally have that much storage above one of my cards; for instance, if I'm shooting 16gb or 32gb cards that I will fill up once every day or couple of days, there's going to have to be a conventional hdd in there somewhere just for economy of size. Can android copy files from a card reader then back out to an external drive without a bunch of rear end pain?

Not really, I don't think there are any tablets with 2 usb ports. You'd either have to be using microsd cards, or you'd have to copy from the sd card to the tablet and then back to the hard drive.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Medpak posted:

I have one of those Nikon lens pens, like the one you posted, and it works great! Obviously you want to get anything off first with a microfiber cloth, but then clean it up after with one of those.

The lens pen I have comes with a soft brush thinger on one end to get the big stuff off the lens first, it's nice not having to carry a cloth separate.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

the posted:

I can't figure out how to adjust the aperture on this thing....

It looks like there should just be a ring on the lens you can adjust (marked as 11 on the figure on the last page of that manual that got linked).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

My friend got roped into setting up a photobooth for her mom's event. Is there a free, easy-to-use program that will do stuff like this:

I normally use Paint to black out stuff like that.

But seriously Gimp would probably let you make a template with a few layers, and then you can just paste in your 2 or 3 pictures into layers in between the pictures, rotate the layer (super quick if you know how many degrees and how much to resize the picture before hand), and then you're good to go. Might take some work setting up the template, but once you have that ready it should be quick to do.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Saint Fu posted:

For what it's worth, I bought the Marumi DHG Super Circular P.L.D 72mm based on this website and I'm not all that impressed. It seems like the review was done by physicists, not photographers.

Some physicists are photographers too :argh:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

Is there any way to connect an iPad 2 to my T2i for use as a monitor to display pics as I take them? Just feel like it would help a noob like me see what kind of results I'm getting as I go through the learning process.

I think an Eye-fi card might let you do something like that.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

the posted:

Well I don't HAVE one of thooose

You don't have a cell phone?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

This is why whenever someone is looking at one of my pictures I quietly steal a 20 from their wallet.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

Yeah nobody cares about prints. I put up an option for a 500pixel image for a buck fifty, if people cant pay a buck fifty for a tiny image then I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Better start applying for that expedition to mars while you still can!

Elendil004 posted:

I came into this thread asking for help dealing with people stealing images, not asking for critiques of my photos (which you can't even be assed to do on a good day) or condescending remarks about my skill (which truly pales in comparison to you). And some people actually answered my questions instead of just being douchebags.

:qq:

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 4, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I have a cardboard box filled with negative sleeves. And other things. Books and stuff.

I should clean that box out sometime.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

RangerScum posted:

Get drunk and then press the shutter button with your dick.

The best way to take any kind of photo.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

spog posted:

yeah, but there isn't a term that includes both DSLRs and live-view, is there?

Camera.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

It's not a Pentax ME Super.

:smith:

On a serious note, make sure it's got good batteries, see if there are any apparent light seals missing or nasty looking, make sure the shutter seems to fire like you'd expect it, and then shoot away.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Zenostein posted:

I've got a possibly stupid question: what is the purpose of setting the film speed on old manual/film cameras? I can understand if the program modes on slightly newer film cameras take the film speed into account while choosing shutter/aperture settings, but what does it do on say, entirely manual cameras? Is it just a reminder?

All I've found while googling is digital stuff about the iso/aperture/shutter triangle, and things of that nature.

Also ^^^ I love old Minolta glass. If I had more money I'd just buy a ton of things, rather than just use my 50 and 80-205. Although I guess I'd have to compete with the guys using Sony Alphas and dealing with MF.

Even on a full manual camera the meter needs to know the film speed to let you know if you're going to expose right.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I'm pretty sure even in a courtroom the rights are going to go to the photographer UNLESS there is a written contract saying otherwise.

Why the hell would the person being photographed get automatic rights to something.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Krelas posted:

Just filling in for Mr Despair here: ME Super is all you need.

Thanks man, that was a close one. :ohdear:

Baram posted:

What's the recommended material to wash lenses with? I just got a camera that has been sitting in storage for 20 years now and need to clean some minor dust off the lenses and want to make sure I don't damage them.

rocketblower with a lens pen? The rocketblower and brush on the pen should get all the dust off gently, unless it's it's really caked on, in which case maybe some alcohol and a microfiber cloth?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Another thing to note is that some places won't charge if the roll is blank. I know walgreens didn't charge me when I had a roll that was blank, for example.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I got stopped by security when I brought a camera through.

She wanted to know what sort of telephoto lens I used but she lost interest once she found out that I shot nikon instead of canon.

:smith:

I was waiting for the person I was traveling with to get through security, so she was just chit chatting while I waited

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The worst part was that the lens was a Tamron, so she could have gotten it anyways (it was the lovely cheap tamron though, not the nicer VC). No harm in the end I suppose.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

HookShot posted:

Ah cool, she never actually knew why it came up as radioactive, so now I can tell her!

To be specific there's a chance that the lens was doped with thorium to improve it's optical properties :science:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Legdiian posted:

I don't much about it, but I have been in houses where photographers were using a big fancy camera attached to a Macbook and doing what you described. I think the higher end cameras support tethering software that works over a wired connection to the camera.

Also while googling about it I found this iOS app that looks kind of cool. Requires a laptop/computer along with the iPad though.

http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/dslr-camera-remote/specs.html

Midrange cameras work fine too, I think it's only base model dslr's that don't feature tethering support nowadays (of some form or another).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

manual mode sucks too, aperture priority 4 lyfe

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

the posted:

Pretty sure I saw one of these sitting in a leather case (with an additional lens in it's own case) on a shelf at the flea market today. I didn't see a price on it. Maybe I should go back tomorrow and see how much he wants for it.

edit: UPDATE It was actually this :smith:

How do you get an slr and a rangefinder confused :psyduck:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Go buy a Pentax ME Super.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

ghableska posted:

So would I be better off using the included RAW software that came with the camera?

Either try that or just import the jpeg into lightroom.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I never shoot jpeg but if you're using some in camera tilt shift processing (which is sounds like was), it's going to be a hell of a lot easier to just work with the jpeg the camera spits out.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

It's probably legit (the company seems to be a real one), but it seems pretty hard to do. If the controller chip is fried they'd probably have to solder a new one on to read the memory, which doesn't sound fun.

On a related note, if it's an actual hardware failure I don't think you'll be able to do anything yourself to fix it, short of buying a matching sd card and swapping controllers (assuming there isn't some sort of software lock or some nonsense).

Basically, is it worth 100 pounds to get some pictures of a card, versus just buying a new card and moving on?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Santa is strapped posted:

Why can't you just put the lens on infinity, isn't infinity the proper setting after like 50 meters or so? Honest question.

Not all lenses have a hard stop at infinity, and not all lenses have a focus scale on them.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Martytoof posted:

If you're shooting a portrait with a 50mm lens on a crop sensor, would you get the same distortion effect that you would with a roundabout-85mm lens on a FF camera, or would you get the distortion of a 50mm lens with the effective focal length of an 80-ish mm?

I'm trying to figure out what determines distortion. I think it's actual distance from the subject so I'm guessing you'd get an effective 80mm distortion?

Are you talking barrel distortion, or something else?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I'm ready for IR

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Right, an aperture of f/4 will require the same shutter speed and iso for a proper exposure regardless of what lens you're using. So a "fast" lens just lets you open that aperture up wider than the other lens might.

A fast lens lets you use a faster shutter speed (also it nets you smaller depth of field than otherwise possible with a slower lens).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Nameless Dread posted:

The internet is the loving library. Obviously i'm just looking for newer and less famous stuff, to use their styles as a crutch.

loving kids these days.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

Don't think EXIF contains focus distance info. Canon has focus point info.

It can, I just double checked some of my old d40 shots and there is a "Subject Distance Range" field.

I've never seen it be accurate though.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend cotton swabs, seems way too easy for stuff to come off and get left on the sensor. Pec-pads are cheap though, and they are what's on the sensor swabs, should work fine if you get a nice sensor sized stick to wrap them around.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

xzzy posted:

I use kimwipes because there's stacks of the stuff available at work and all I need is a corner of one sheet to clean my sensor. :colbert:

I prefer pec pads still. The trick is getting work to buy those for you to borrow in addition to the kim wipes.

e. But seriously I find the pecpads to leave less residue/dust behind, but also they're more durable, so I can wipe off 5-6 slides with one instead of going through 5-6 kimwipes.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 24, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Drunk Badger posted:

I'm about to get my first personal camera, and after checking out various brands I've settled on the Cannon T3i. Another recommendation from that thread was to also pick up a [url=]50mm f/1.8[/url] lens. I'm still not fully understanding what the differences between that and the 18-55mm IS II lens that comes with the camera, other than the stock lens is able to zoom. Can someone explain the basic situations where I'd want to use one lens over the other?

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding...anding+exposure Buy that, find it at your local library, borrow it from a friend, either way you should read it and it'll be good for you.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

That looks like FD mount to me as well, which means no infinity focus without corrective optics. Could still mount it if you want a cheap macro option though, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

casa de mi padre posted:

Look at some good star trail pictures someone else made because the stars don't change so there's no need to photograph them again.

On the same note don't photograph bridges or mountains or other things that people have photographed before. What's the point! Might as well throw your camera away, really.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Everyone's going like "waaah, hot pixels" all the time doing long and bulb exposures, so it's a valid question. Especially when I want to capture like a total of 30 minutes of light or something like that.

Lightroom will do just fine at removing hot pixels if you shoot in raw, you're going to run into issues with light pollution before hot pixels ruin your image. Long, long before then. If you're staking with something like deep sky stacker, just take a few pictures with whatever iso/time you were using for your stacks, but with the lens cap on, and then stacking software can use those dark frames to delete the hot pixels.