Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Tell me about some books that every photographer should have on their bookshelf. Are there any you find yourself going back to reference over and over again? I'm looking to expand my skills beyond the basic photography class I took in highschool, and I'm having some trouble, especially when the subject is indoors or when the thing I'm trying to take a picture of is under a shadow.

I understand the basics of getting the correct exposure but I feel like I'm ready for the next lesson. Is there some comprehensive book that will help me? I've already ordered the book understanding exposure that someone else recommended here but I would like to fill out my library with some more books and manuals.

For reference my biggest interest is in landscape photography, although I've secretly always wanted to dabble into street photography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

I'm working my way through understanding exposure and I'm really kicking myself in the rear end for not getting it earlier. What other books should every photographer have on their bookshelf?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

I have another beginner's question and this time it has to do with metering modes on my T2i. Earlier today, I spotted a squirrel sitting high up on a branch. I set the appropriate F-stop and shutter speed using the in-camera light meter and proceeded to take some pictures, expecting to come home with some awesome squirrel shots. However, when I looked at the pictures, the picture were extremely overexposed. What did I do wrong?

Was this because my camera was set on evaluative metering, causing the brightness of the background to throw everything off? Would I have gotten a more accurate reading if I had selected spot metering and set the AE lock on the squirrel? I am trying to make sure I understand the basics and the metering modes is still a bit confusing to me. Do I have the right idea?

If the background was super bright however, shouldn't the picture have been underexposed if anything? I made a little mock up in MS Paint of how the squirrel was positioned, because I can't really come up with a good way to describe the situation.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Medpak posted:

So you took a meter reading of the squirrel? You should meter the sky around it and then recompose the image.

I took the meter reading off of the squirrel, working under the assumption that by doing that the camera would properly expose the squirrel. Sounds like that's where I made the mistake. I'll have to re-read the manual and experiment around some more. Thank you!

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

I'm trying to get the hang of Sunny 16 rule. As the sun as starting to set, I took this shot. There were no shadows, so I put the F-stop at f/ 4.2, ISO 500, and inverse of 500, so 1/500 shutter speed. Absolutely underexposed. What am I loving up here?

DSC_5693 by rustyshackles, on Flickr
1/500 shutter speed, f/4.2, ISO 500.

Seeing as it was underexposed, I decided to bump the ISO to 1000 and it still came out dark.

DSC_5694 by rustyshackles, on Flickr
1/500 shutter speed, f/4.2, ISO 1000.

I finally got something decently useable when I lowered the shutter speed.

DSC_5695 by rustyshackles, on Flickr
1/80 shutter speed, f/4.2, ISO 1000.

Does this mean I just hosed up and grossly underestimated the available lighting? Obviously, I know how to use a light meter but I'm trying to get the hang of the Sunny 16 and I figured I would take the shots anyway and post them here to get some answers and get yelled at for doing something stupid.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Molten Llama posted:

There's no EXIF data for those on Flickr (so there's no ruling out weird camera settings), but probably. Once the sun starts setting, you lose light fast.

The thing to keep in mind about the Sunny 16 equivalencies is that they're all based on midday conditions. A completely overcast day with the noon sun burning behind it? That's f/4. Within two hours of rise or set, that all flies out the window.

Whoops, I just fixed my settings, so the EXIF data should be available. This was well after the sun had set, but it was still bright outside. The sun had been setting just as I stepped outside. I guess the only way to learn is to take more shots and play around.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

dukeku posted:

Light after sunset is more EV 6 than EV 15 (sun), you seem to be exposing around EV 11 (correct me if I'm wrong!), which is still 6 stops underexposed. And as we all know, zone -1 isn't particularly bright :v:. EV 11 is often described as "sunset", but that's for shooting into a setting sun - not ambient light around the time of sunset.
Well, I didn't even consider EV values, I just went off the very basic table. I'll have to study the chart in more detail. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_value#Tabulated_exposure_values is the right one, right? I remember seeing a much detailed and more confusing (probably because I didn't study it in detail) chart.

Cyberbob posted:

Shoot directly into the setting sun with the same settings. Observe differences.
That makes perfect sense! I guess there's nothing wrong with using the meter to figure out the Sunny 16 system, so I should play around with that some more. Thanks for the help everyone!

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

dukeku posted:

If you have a meter available to you, just use it. There's no point in learning how to guess something you can read accurately with tools in your hand.

I'm not going to ignore the meter- I'm just trying to get a better understanding of light and exposure. I know it'll come with time and experience, but I figure if I start now, I'll get better at guesstimating in a decade or so.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

How weather proof is the D7000 with the 18-200 vr ii and 35mm 1.8G lens? I'm going yo shoot a music festival with a rain forecast. I'm going to buy a shower cap and get a sturdy rubberband to enclose the camera. Are there any other precautions I should take? I've seen videos on YouTube of people soaking their camera with a shower head (D7000) but their lens was weather sealed as well. Any tips for shooting in the rain?

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 7, 2012

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

David Pratt posted:

It probably doesn't matter ;)

Here's another article where he finds an interesting side-effect of breaking off the glass completely http://kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

How often does the adobe photography package (photoshop/lightroom) go on sale? I'm interested in getting back into some photography, but I wouldn't mind waiting for a sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

I'm doing product photography against a white background. What's the most idiot proof way to make sure the background is pure white with no patches of light grey showing through?

My work flow in Lightroom is as follows.

1. Mask --> Subject ----> Inverse ----> Touch up mask with brush as needed. Usually run along the edges.
2. Bump white, exposure and highlights.

Is there a more efficient way? I've been trying to look up tutorials, but all I'm getting are examples of how to make a lightbox. It works well enough, but there have been a few times when the mask missed a few spots, and I didn't notice until after I added the product to the product page.