Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Dren posted:

Guys, Sony is trying.

http://blog.sony.com/press/new-sony-qx-series-lens-style-cameras-redefine-the-mobile-photography-experience/

I would really like an open camera system where the community is free to innovate the software. E.g. the hacked canon firmware and the raspberry pi camera. It feels so silly to me that I can't write a super badass timelapse app for my DSLR that does bulb ramping the way I want, downloads sunset/sunrise data from the net based on gps, etc. because the software interface to the DSLR is non-existent or garbage because it is based on fiddly hardware hacks.

You mention the lens system but not the app development thing they are doing for some of their cameras? http://camera.developer.sony.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

change my name posted:

I already have an X-700, but my digital camera is the K01 and I didn't really want to buy another DSLR/Mirrorless.

You can also just buy a MD adapter anyway, they aren't exactly expensive.

There are tons on ebay and they're like $12.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 18, 2013

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

life is killing me posted:

This one is at night:

Not asking to have them critiqued or anything, I am pretty well aware what is technically wrong with the night shot, but I would welcome any post-processing advice for the day shot.

Or is this even a post-processing thing? I use a Sony a380 digital SLR with an 11-18mm F4.5-5.6 aspherical lens. I take a lot of panoramas for which I use a NN pano tripod head, and I am still figuring that one out to try to minimize parallax errors. I typically use auto exposure with no flash and I feel like this makes things easier while not putting out the best raw shots, so should I go manual? I have a lot of problems with natural light glaring through windows and I know how to counteract that, but interior yellow light becomes very intense to the point the light fixtures themselves cannot be seen through the light.

So is it a post-processing problem or a camera setting problem?

I think you'd get a lot of benefit of going to aperture priority mode, and trying to find a faster lens. 4.5 is harder to use in low light, and I'm sure the auto mode is doing something kinda dumb due to the contrast from the outdoor lights. The noise is coming from the camera having to use a pretty high ISO to compensate for the aperture and low light, there's not a ton you can do about high ISO noise besides using a lower ISO or getting a newer camera.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

xzzy posted:

SD slots have a small metal switch in them that needs to be depressed for the device to acknowledge you have inserted a card.

If the wrong bit of plastic broke off and that switch doesn't get closed, it ain't gonna work. Unless there's data on the SD card you really want I'd just throw it away. Or if it's SanDisk, send it in for a replacement.. they give lifetime warranties I believe.

You could also just like tape a thin bit of cardboard on the top or whatever, so long as the contacts themselves aren't damaged then the card will work fine

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Well, on Google+ you can upload big image files but they love to put lovely filters on everything and you have to manually disable it on each image. It is kinda useful if you have an android phone since you can auto upload images and skip the steps of plugging it into a computer.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

If it's new enough you could try sending it back to Nikon, but kit lenses go for like $30-60 on eBay or KEH.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I see one in the profile downloader for the DT 11-18mm F4.5-5.6, on the A350. It looks like there's not any major differences between the A350 and A380, so that one should work fine.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Well, Lightroom has all of Sony's E-mount lenses (not saying much), so they're working together, just not on the A-mount side.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Personally I always shoot in Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority is only particularly useful for moving cars and maybe birds, honestly. A mode gives you a lot of creative control in most situations, and it's most useful for many types of scenes.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

8th-snype posted:

Speak for yourself, I have 4 rolls in my freezer.:smuggo:

Ok, so you can use it, but what the hell are you going to do after you finish shooting?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Are you sure it's not just flaring like a motherfucker? I've seen some shots similar to that with working copies of that lens. If it was actually broken I'd expect to see bad color or off focus more.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I don't own any L glass, but I've had Sony and Canon lenses with wobbly or noisy focus extensions before, that sounds about right to me.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

There's also various connectors to plug your camera's SD card or USB cable into the iPad or eyeFi cards if you have a dual slot camera.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah 3 year old card would be pushing it, even more so if it's a high capacity or a cheaper card.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The 1000D is kinda old, to be honest, but as a first DSLR you could easily do worse. It'll be a serviceable basic DSLR for you to learn with.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The 1100d is also a totally basic entry DSLR. If it helps, it's the camera basically every mom and American tourist ever owns. You should be able to find a decent used mid-entry DSLR for cheap if you dig in the right places. These basic entry cameras from Canon will work for learning, but I was never a big fan of the T3/1000d, and considering one of the old Canon thread titles was "Don't buy a T3" I'd say that's a popular enough opinion.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 4, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Any of the Canon Txi (the i is important), Sony has the a57 or a580, and I don't know enough about Nikon or Pentax to suggest anything there. The important thing with a first time DSLR is trying to find as many cameras as you can and putting hands on them. A lot of super-entry level DSLR's tend to feel like cramped plastic trash, and each brand has it's own quirks that show up on the body or lenses. Just go out to an electronics store and play with everything they have on display, then dig through the internet until you find a deal on one you like or a model older.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You're going to have to define "new" canon, since I see the T5i actually new with kit lens, and a heap of the rebel line in the used body only section.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Just use a mirrorless, then they can't tell if it's a point and shoot or not.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It is, these signs seem to be placed outside of the art shops and paid photo booths with famous people, like most conventions I've seen. Just, the last one I was in simply had a sign that said "no photography of art" and didn't have any of this confusion.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It's a convention man, the only sculptures are $100 plastic animes.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

They might, they have some anti-corruption stuff as part of the read/write cycle, and they're generally less dense than an SD or MicroSD card, which helps as well.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

They are mostly saying that because they want you to buy their batteries, obviously. I've heard good things about Wasabi batteries, but remember to check amazon reviews or whatever to make sure that it's not the rare battery that actually will blow up your camera and charger.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

For the kit lens, go look on ebay for a Canon 18-55 kit lens, they should be around $50ishUSD.

The Aperture blades exist only to make the bokeh more circular basically. My older 6 bladed lens has bokeh that's a hexagon, while more blades means it's more circular. It shouldn't affect the rest of the image in any meaningful fashion.

E: VV It'd look about like this

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 20, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Slavvy posted:

What purpose would this have even served when it was new? 640x480 isn't remotely better than film in any way, why would anyone have even bought one? Scanners existed back then.

A lot of people wanted one because it was a cool new digital camera, and I have seen a ton of them used for making ID photos quickly since it spits out a perfectly usable image.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

If you look around you can find them for that price in normal stores like Walmart or whatever too.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The plastic ones are a little better for if you drop the camera on the hood, since the shattering will slow the camera before it hits the ground. I don't know how much they'd help for something as heavy as a 6x7 though, so the rubber should be fine.

For the shapes, completely round should be fine unless your lens is particularly wide angle, square or tulip would be better if there's a chance the lens hood would start to block a bit of image.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Like I said, unless the lens is pretty wide or a unusual construction any cheap round lens hood should work fine. Those rubber ones have different positions so you can even adjust as needed.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1tTBncIsm8

I don't suggest you do this to your lenses, but they seem to handle tiny metal sticks well.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 29, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The battery should be in the film, and since it ejected the cover that shouldn't be too much of an issue.
This should help unstick the film. Also your first frame is going to be hosed, and the second might be iffy since you pulled the pack out a few times.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 7, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

They have an alternate method where you break a little bit off the front of the film pack and sorta use it to press the film down and let it set for a few days, in their older videos.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Google Drive, Skydrive/OneDrive/MS's poo poo, and Dropbox are three big ones for that. Skydrive gives you 25GB for free, Google is 15GB, and Dropbox is 2GB, but Google is the cheapest if you decide you need more space, at $2/month per 100GB.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

70-300mm is a lovely walkaround length, but it's good for portraits or decently lit sports. It's not a great bird length unless you can get decently close either, unless you pair it with a 1.5x teleconverter. If you're interested in birds on a budget it could work well enough, though you will be fighting noise once you get home.

edit: VV I thought I typed that here, oops. Pidgeons are slow and hard to scare so it'll work fine for them, just if you're interested in easier scared birds you'll be wanting the length from something bigger.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 31, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You might want this version instead, since it comes with the lens cleaning solution that it's meant to be used with.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Slavvy posted:

That was the first result in google :shobon:

Just had a look, I have the dot. How does it 'know' if you're focused correctly? How is it able to judge that at all? I'm pretty good with technical stuff but cameras are magic to me.

Also, where would I buy one of the little rubber eyepiece thingies that goes around the viewfinder? Mine is missing.

The exact same way it knows when to stop the normal autofocus motor/screwdrive. It still has all the systems and coding to focus those lenses, it just lacks the screw.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Your camera's bundled software should be able to do basic RAW adjustments and stuff. If you don't have the CD it should be up for download on the company's website.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You can always subscribe to photo version of the creative cloud for $10 a month if you don't want to throw the $150 at lightroom all at once.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Since it was slightly greasy, I'd make sure your aperture blades are intact, and check the moving parts of the the lens barrel for cracks and missing bits.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

In general, most consumer level digital cameras overexpose about 1/3rd or so of a stop. If you want to be super precise, you should just buy a light meter and keep it on the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You should be able to trust the histogram and zebra indicators though? The your camera shows should match the one Lightroom will give you for any given exposure. All you need to do is find how much your camera over/under exposes and keep that number set in the EV comp menu forever, and you should get fine exposures.

edit: Oh, it's an a7, I missed that. With Sony cameras you want to use -1/3 EV and also consider using manual ISO in Aperture Priority since it first tries for 18% grey, then it tries to get 1/60s or 1/120s in A mode.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 25, 2014