Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Can someone tell me what the hell is going on with flickr/yahoo? Petapixal article screaming about new changes being the death of everything was written by a guy who owns a rival site and I'm not sure I entirely trust him tbh.

Also ordered a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ70 / ZS50 as a carry round, because it was 1/3 off amazon price and I like a lumix. Have I a made a huge mistake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I use the high pass filter for sharpening, gives much more control over general sharpening and you can isolate individual parts as well. Someone else's tutorial http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-editing/sharpen-high-pass/

e: I do it the other way round to them, new layer, high pass filter and then overlay, usually at around 0.7 or when the lines start to become visible.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 26, 2016

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It should be sharp as a tack from f/5.6 - f/8. It could be that the lens needs calibrating, on the D7100 the setting is "AF Fine tune". It's not as accurate as sending the lens off to be calibrated, but it should make a difference if the lens is noticeably soft. If the lens is new then it might be worth exchanging it. But as VelociBacon said if you post examples of it at f/5.6 and we can tell you if it's really bad or not.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm sure I'm not alone in doing that thing where you think you are doing something wrong because you are new to photography, and you spend the longest time trying to fix an issue only to find out that it's actually something wrong with your gear. Or on the flip side, being more experienced and assuming something wrong with your gear only to find that you have done something very silly with the settings.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I get that this is a project thing, but if you keep an eye on ebay you can get converted full spectrum compact cameras from £25-35 from people who have bought the ones at £45 and have got bored with them or didn't have any luck "ghost hunting".

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My local facebook photography group are the same people as the actual local photography group and local flickr group as for once the old men with leicas got there first. One of them once gave me his old X100 and told me I was not to baby it in any way and if I managed to break it while doing photography then he would give me a Leica, I didn't baby and the only thing wrong with it after several years is the silver has rubbed off in places. Lesson learned old man, well played.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Good. I sent that new Panasonic Lumix 30x zoom compact to Egypt with my parents for a nice holiday which is nice for it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I just take a photo of a grey card first and then use that to set WB in post later.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Newbie mistakes I have made no 47. That time I thought my camera was broken because I accidentally set it up in the mode that delays the shutter for 10 seconds.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
500px is what flickr used to be now. Everyone's uploads get shown in a big searchable stream, an algorithm happens taking into account favourites, views, and comments which gives you a moving score (which degrades over time), and then if you get enough it goes to the upcoming stream and then onwards to popular. There are groups but people can't use them to manipulate scores in the same way so the most popular pictures are actually the best rather than the ones with the most sparkle kitty gif comments.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
double sided scotch tape would be better as it won't take any of the foam off when you remove the print.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Are they fast moving furry animals? D5300 is mid range not low end btw. Need more information on lenses and how you are using the camera, but I suspect changing bodies won't make a lick of difference and it's a sluggish lens, or conditions where manual focusing would be better with any combination of lens and body. The D5200/D5300 has more than enough focus points imo and live view (the screen) uses a contrast system on the both the D750 and the D500 as well - Contrast-Detect AutoFocus Live view are your googlin' words on that one.

I cannot stress enough how much of a difference buying an expensive lens over upgrading to an expensive body will make to your photography.

edit: lol apparently they are somewhat fast moving.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Do you have the sigma dock for that? It could be that it's been set in the wrong mode?
Blurb:

focus speed performance attribute can be configured using the Sigma Dock. Basically, the slower (Sigma references "smoother" instead) the lens focuses, the greater the chance that the lens focuses accurately.

The default "Standard" option is designed to provide a balance of speed and accuracy. By configuring one of this lens' two custom modes (switch selectable), faster (Motor's drive speed-priority) and slower (Focus accuracy-priority) focus drive speeds can be selected. You may find the slower speed to be the better low light option while the faster speed may prove great for your high contrast in-action subjects under bright light.

Place clearly delineated subject with good contrast on a focus point and this lens locks focus very quickly in "Standard" mode and even faster in "Motor's drive speed-priority". The differences between the three focus speed modes is noticeable, but I used the Standard mode for most of my testing based on the expectation that Sigma made this the default mode with good reason.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Try using the bog standard lens which came with the body and focusing in the usual darker light and see what happens. If it's better then it's most likely a problem with the sigma lens, if it's much slower or can't lock on then it's something to do with the camera/camera settings . You didn't say if you are using live view or not, I'm assuming not but need to eliminate things.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I've been doing some more digging because you were worried in general and I have "brace yourself for bad news" questions.

Have you been turning OS off before removing the lens every time? Have you removed the lens with OS on and the camera turned on? t Sigma lenses, the bigger ones in particular, take longer than other brands to power down and it can cause problems of the "it's hosed" kind with the focusing system and elements if you remove it before everything is locked into place.

Good news if it turns out to be this is that they can't tell if it's you that messed up or a fault that has developed because of a bad lens and will fix under warranty.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Lens is fine :) second and third picture is camera shake, fourth is depth of field if you think the whiskers are out of focus, but I don't think it detracts from the picture myself, and fifth is soft, could be missed focus or could be the aperture. Are you using VR/OS with it mounted on a tripod? It could be that it is causing problems or it could just be the usual VR/OS misses with a lens that long.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
VR/OS isn't perfect, sometimes you get off shots and mirror slap can sometimes be a factor but it's mostly random. Some people swear by putting Nikons in silent mode to help with this if you are not using mirror up but I've not tried it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Gotta say though, not many people learning to do photography have such interesting subjects to practice on.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Don't think the D5X00 has AF fine tune, you would have to send it off to be calibrated.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Are you hand holding with that? because much respect is due if you are.

In my experience the shutter speed/XXXmm when hand holding thing is meaningless in real life when you get lenses over a certain length ( I mean length as in the physical dimensions of the lens) and weight, and it all depends on how steady your own wrists are. I know it's my own hands shaking under the strain of trying to keep a larger lens simply pointed the right way that causes my misses with them - Admittedly I am a weakling with sticks for arms.
I ended up switching to a Panasonic 100-300mm f/4.0-5.6 which is 200-600mm equivalent I know the IQ on MFT isn't as perfect as you would get with L glass and the like but it's a compromise as I don't get much if any shake blur and it's better to have lower IQ than unusable. Slowest example I have of that lens on the internet with fur, hand held 188mm (376mm equivalent) 1/250s https://500px.com/photo/99694699/the-thinker-by-learnin-curve

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

HPL posted:

You got three songs in. Security was fair. They applied the same rule to you that they would apply to anyone else, pro or no.

I understand that the band may have done a deal the organisers didn't know about, I get that securities mate Dave may have been promised it, but, did they remove people's phones three songs in as well?

/mutters about people who are filming on a phone and then get pissy and call you selfish when you won't watch the gig kneeling on the floor because what about all the fans who couldn't be here.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I've seen people with vinyl wrap on cameras, but it would depend on how good you are at crafts.

This is a thing as well.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
General advice when buying second hand cameras on ebay; (I only know nikon figures) D3XXX series has a real world average shutter life of 18,5k D5XXX series is 20-50k, semi-pro and pro is 150k. Always check to see what the shutter count is in the description, if there isn't one then ask the seller to check on https://www.camerashuttercount.com/ via PM. If they refuse then it's knackered already, if they do then check yourself when the camera arrives and if they have lied you can open a claim with ebay and they will side with you because of the bullshit PM. I've not heard of any of the big second hand sellers try to pull this stunt so it's generally safer to pay the little bit extra over private sellers.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Ika posted:

Does Nikon fix this under warranty? I'm guessing my half year old D5300 is already around 30k.

Short answer, yes they should do.

Non-serious answer, if you get the D750 then they will have to replace it every six months anyway (second recall rumoured) .

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I used to make a living buying low and selling at a reasonable price on ebay back when it was possible for silly people to pick the cheapest 12 hour auction at 3 in the afternoon, and these days I have a tendency to be the first bidder really early on in auctions and just leave it there in case I get lucky and no one else wants it. Have got quite a few bargains that way, last year I got a Sony A37 for £125, (reserve price) no pictures of it but the description said "scratched LCD", which turned out to be a slight scratch in the plastic surrounding it, and a few weeks ago I got the Sony 50mm 1.8 for £40.
You got to really know the difference between a scammer and someone who is just really inept at computers and does not know how to upload pictures or put in a description. Searching the whole site, and also spelling things like an idiot can find auctions that won't show up in a normal search of the DLSR and Lens categories as well. That lens was a blind buy with "Sony dlsr lens" in the title, with "50mm with box" in the description. I think people panic and assume other people will know what they mean.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I would argue that once you embrace the concept of "there will always be another one" then your ebay experience will be so much calmer. Do your research, bid what you think is a bargain price and walk away. If idiots want to bid the price up then that's their problem and the seller's gain, there will always be another one. Keep checking buy it now and order it as newly listed as well, many people will put stuff on at less than average auction price just for a quick sale. Picked up an old man's beercan for£60 the other day on buy it now, he was going into a home and wanted his beloved gear to be used. This isn't a rare thing, old men with cameras do this all the time.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It's a sellers market now. Too many chuffing morons who believe that item X is the last one of it's kind on earth and will pay anything for it. Newly listed on buy it now is where you will find actual bargains these days. Don't discount the big second hand sellers either, I've seen people drive up auction prices to within a few pounds of them with no return or warranty, where as a reputable second hand ebay dealer will give you three months warranty with no fuss.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Jimlad posted:

I give up, I don't know if you're trying to be awkward intentionally or if I'll just never understand what your point is. Pretty sure I explained everything above, I guess people will just do whatever.

Ok I'll explain my POV and why I bid and walk away. The problem I've always had with sniping programs is that other people can have them too, including sellers. I've never done this but I do know sellers who run separate accounts with macros which will drive up there own auctions, sometimes those two people out bidding each other are the seller's bots leaving a nice record so it looks legit, all it takes is a third person to join in and it does not matter if they win or not as they will just get offered second chance at an artificially inflated price.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It could be worse, when I worked out time spent it turned out I was earning less than minimum wage when I was buying and dealing on ebay. But on the other hand it took me about 10 seconds to find this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-Lens-/182114650662?hash=item2a66e10a26:g:vPYAAOSw3mpXJe1K

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm saying that normal auctions are often not the best places to find bargains on ebay. But then it should be noted that I'm using Ebay UK and not Australian. Oh Jesus. Digital Cameras 790 listings (Australia auctions). No wonder prices are driven up by people getting desperate and people have conflicting views, it's like a whole different site.

edit: in the UK night time when auctions drop we have 6600 auctions going on.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 2, 2016

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

MrBlandAverage posted:

Yeah, I'd rather take the approach of "I want one of these" rather than "I want this specific one."

The problem here is that A Saucy Bratwurst is in a country with 1999 ebay and that specific one might actually be the only one depending on what it is.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

MrBlandAverage posted:

Yeah, I just searched ebay.com.au for three not-common items I have. None of them were available except from Japanese or American sellers - but there were lots of all of them. The problem isn't scarcity unless A Saucy Bratwurst insists on buying only from Australian sellers or something.

Did you factor in 10% tax + $50 customs handling charge (more if the item is over $1000) and the fact that Australia uses a different power supply to both of these countries?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
For some strange reason, and I don't know why because the mental institution that I work at is the opposite end of the city, and there are no care in the community programs going on in that area, there is a section of lovely canal in the middle of nowhere which will always have one random paranoid schizophrenic or a junkie on it . Police on bicycles have a theory that there is a drop off point somewhere around there but it's a mile long stretch and they will be damned if they can be arsed looking for it when they got strava times to beat.

and this is why I carry a sony DSLR with minolta big beercan or my D300 with me when I'm out taking photos of friendly ducks and little tweety things on the canal.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Look for a panasonic M4/3 body with the kit lens on it, it's one of the best kit lenses out there. Bargain wise you want the Panasonic Gf3. It's identical to the GF5 in every way but they shifted a chip around so it didn't overheat during long video use. Random link showing the average buy it now price of $140 with kit, with the change you can pick up a a second hand sigma prime to go with it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-LUMIX-DMC-GF3-12-1-MP-Black-Digital-Camera-w-14-42mm-Lens-/231858371115

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
When you say "taking" do you mean "buying the full rights to" or "right click and save picture as"?

e: it's a really confusing post with the ten thousand at a time thing.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Alternatively shooting Nikon with a AF lens on a AF-S body.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Not really no. Are you dead set on a fully manual old school camera or is it film in general you are interested in?

If it's just film then the Minolta 7000i with a Minolta 35-70 f/4 Mini-Beercan (all metal with 1:4 macro switch)is a fantastic combination if you want all the modern cons like AF , and if you decide to go digital then the minolta AF lenses will work on Sony DSLRs.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Think of this as both an excuse and an opportunity to get the 10-20mm :)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

GrandpaPants posted:

This is the closest general photography thread that Dorkroom has, but Smugmug just bought Flickr. Does that mean anything to anyone?

It means they are no longer owned by yahoo or Verizon thankfully. I suspect this will be a restructuring of the user base thing. Get Flickr’s pro user base to use smugmug for work portfolios and get the causals over to Flickr and build the community back up.

You can sign up without a yahoo email now - used my Normal email to sign up again.

I got so pissed off with yahoo and deleted my old account. I had a legacy pro for life which gave me stuff like unlimited storage. Yahoo made everyone create and switch to a yahoo ID and I lost it - all they offered me was a month of free pro as compensation. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Why do the people on 500px like flowers so much?

It’s weird and I’ve honestly started posting them because I know I’ll get to popular.

Edit: it’s not a humble brag, I am fully aware these are absolutely nothing but bog standard ???

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 6, 2018