Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
In the following photo:

How would one go about getting those colors? Does it look like a yellow filter? I'm trying to get those kind of colors for a shoot coming up and am thinking about how to go about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Well it's quiet here so I'm just going to keep on rolling with questions.

Say I had a model outside at night in the pitch darkness. I don't have any light stands or radio triggers. Would it be feasible to open the shutter, fire a strobe from a couple angles, and then close the shutter? I can't think of any terrible repercussions with this plan, but I'm sure I'm missing something.

edit-- and how would ISO play into my plan oh god I'm such a retard when it comes to strobes

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 7, 2011

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

TheAngryDrunk posted:

If you fire the strobe in one location and then move the strobe to another location and fire it there--with the shutter open the whole time--you'll basically end up with a double exposure each equivalent to the flash speed.

If your model is perfectly still (which is probably impossible if you're moving around), it will look like he/she has been lit from both sides.

That's more or less what I figured.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Terrible repercussions? Like what? What are you trying to do?

I... don't know really. I've just never really worked with strobes and don't want to waste a roll. I think I'm mostly just worried about over/underexposure, but as long as I have my strobe strength set right I should be okay.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

RangerScum posted:

Because you should be matting your photos, you filthy swine!

I wish there were a thread on matting, because that's some sort of dark wizardry to me.

Matting adhesive? Special heating presses? No clue.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

atomicthumbs posted:

you've never used the steel reels with the little sprocket tabs

My fingertips hurt just reading this.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
It's magnification. If you keep your eye open and move a 50mm lens viewfinder in front of it, things shouldn't move to or away from you.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

FasterThanLight posted:

It's also a fraction, so f/11 really does represent a smaller number than f/2.8.

Huh, I actually never thought about it as a fraction, but that's a good point.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
That reminds me. If I'm thinking in terms of "zones"... say I meter a shadow area - there's my zone V. If I want to put shadows in zone III, I would stop down twice, right? If I meter at 1/60sec f/11 or so, would that mean f/11 -> f/8 -> f/5.6 (still at 1/60sec) to put the shadows in zone III?

I'm still straightening out how to properly "stop down"... it's probably way easier than I'm making it :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

King Hotpants posted:

I suck really bad with the Zone system but that sounds backwards. You want the shadows darker, so you let in less light (f/11-->f/16-->f/22) while maintaining shutter speed.

Wow, yeah, you're right, I don't know why I put it backwards. I meant it the other way around.

Basically my question was that I would maintain shutter speed instead of reciprocating, so okay cool.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Auditore posted:

What's the recommended DPI for printing photos? 300? 240? Do I set that in LR when exporting the jpegs?

Yep, I would export at 300dpi at whatever size in centimeters or inches you want your print to be.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Deadreak posted:

Yay a hobby to support my drinking problem, good times! Thanks for advice guys, will keep it all in mind next time I am out with a camera.

I like to think of it as drinking being a hobby to support my photography problem ;)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Shmoogy posted:

Just be careful because drinking syngerizes with photographic shopping habits and ends up being a real problem.

Did you see my post where I bought an RB67 body? I know this all too well...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Anyone have any ideas why EpsonScan gives me razor sharp scans, while Vuescan and Silverfast give me muddy blurry scans? I've tried both sharpening and not sharpening, but I must be doing something wrong.

It's on a V500 by the way.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

ThisQuietReverie posted:

dead cat

I'm sorry, what?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Big fuzzy windscreen for the mic (I think). We always called them dead bunnies.

Oh oh, we always called them puff balls.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
drat it, I thought I had read Understanding Exposure and was really not seeing what all the fuss was about. I went over to my book shelf just now and what I have is Perfect Exposure... :downs:

Looks like I need to head to the book store!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

a foolish pianist posted:

This might not be the right thread for it, but I get really uncomfortable anytime people say good things about Terry Richards.

Well, this is a general photography question for you then: why does Terry Richards make you feel uncomfortable?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

dukeku posted:

If you have a meter available to you, just use it. There's no point in learning how to guess something you can read accurately with tools in your hand.

Or, alternatively, guess and then double check with a meter.

An old Japanese man that sold me my meter told me that no real photographer needs a meter, unless he's doing studio flash stuff. :colbert: (I use a meter)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

HPL posted:

Was he also carrying a rangefinder?

He was standing in front of a wall of about 100 Nikons if that counts.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Yes sirree. That's a cool find.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Never Scroll posted:

Its about a 150 color prints. I don't think I have any negatives unfortunately.

If you have a local Ritz Camera or Wolf Camera, I know they'll scan batches of prints for you.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Enjoy pictures of stop signs, macro shots of things with rust on them, selective color photos of friends, pictures of dogs moping around the house, and above all else: close-up pictures of grandma/grandpa's hands.

edit-- but depending on the program/professor, you may actually learn some stuff!

edit2-- poo poo I forgot traintracks

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Take off the lens and then look through the viewfinder?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

spog posted:

Isn't that a rangefinder?

In that case, take off the lens and look for fungus/whatever.

If it's not a removable lens, suck it up and shoot a test roll!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

the posted:

It's an Olympus Stylus Epic Limited, and after further review I do not believe it is.

What does this sentence even mean, it's so existential

edit-- oh you're talking about "it is" meaning on the lens.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 23, 2012

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
I would pay infinity dollars to watch that.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

8th-samurai posted:

Fixed that. Ballers shoot $20 A-12 backs and use the saved money on more film.

This exactly.

I was thinking about selling my Bronica SQ-Ai setup and my Mamiya RB-67 setup and putting the money toward a Hassy 500CM, but... :negative: god drat it's so much money...

edit-- I know it's a pittance in "photo bux", but it's still a lot of money to me

edit2-- There's the following listing on Craigslist for $500: Hasselblad 500C + CZ 80mm 2.8 + waistlevel finder, prism finder, pistol grip, polaroid back, cable release and film. Is that a decent deal? Is the C much worse than the CM?

edit3-- WELP, it was sold already, nevermind.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 25, 2012

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

HookShot posted:

So who else hates the new flickr uploader with a passion?

Hasn't it been the same for a while?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

regulargonzalez posted:

macro mode locks you out of adjustments and basically uses non-overridable full auto
Should I shoot [...] Manual when doing macro shots?

This is confusing me. Are you able to change anything? Can you do exposure compensation in any way?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

evil_bunnY posted:

hahaha you rear end in a top hat.

But it protects the lens from damage :backtowork:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Instrumedley posted:

I accidentally got fingerprints on the glass of my lens, what's the best way to clean them off?

LensPen.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Skwirl posted:

I'm using an Epsom

Using salt on your negatives is going to hurt them in the long run

:tipshat: thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Zenostein posted:

Yes I am. Well, that's a lot easier then. Thanks!

Seriously you can probably eBay a new lens cap for cheaper than you could buy a tube of Superglue.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
It's a little bit orange, yeah.

Also I would tone the blacks down a smidge, but that's just personal preference :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Help a photographer from out of town was given my name and asked me to assist on a shoot and asked what my assisting rate is!

I've never been an official "assistant" on a shoot, so I don't know what a standard rate is. $100 or so?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

xenilk posted:

How long is the shoot?

"Morning to early afternoon".

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
I've never even heard of "auto ISO," that's interesting. How would that even work? That like trying to find the angle of a triangle but having two variables to find instead of just one.

...wow, what a nerdy analogy.

But really, I think of shutter speed/aperture/ISO as a triangle - you change one angle, one or both of the other two are going to have to change slightly. I've had success explaining SS/Ap/ISO to people that way.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

change my name posted:

Another film question: what happens when you use expired film? Is there any way to actually tell (like if you've bought off of ebay/find some in your fridge and want to be sure) short of actually shooting on it?

Depends on the film, the storage conditions, the age, etc.

Some films are more susceptible to color shifts than other, some B&W films can get foggy over time. But generally speaking, if a film has been kept refrigerated or frozen, it can look perfectly fine well past its expiration date. Buying off eBay is kind of a crapshoot though.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Solaron posted:

Will do - read through it a little previously, got to the part that said that DSLR probably isn't for me based on my needs and stopped. Let me see if they make some recommendations!

Thanks!

If you're not in the market for a DSLR, check out the point and shoot thread for some great cameras that will do great service to your family photo albums. If you want interchangeable lenses, or a little more flexibility, or just a halfway point between P&S and DSLR, look into a micro four-thirds camera, which there is also a thread for. But, in the end, there are a number of consumer-level DSLRs that could serve your needs perfectly just with the included kit lens.

Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
So I love scanning color film because the results are awesome, but I hate scanning color film because I'm terrible at getting colors right.

Can anyone recommend a site or book or guide or video or workshop or camp or something that can make me not colortarded? :(