Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

wasabimilkshake posted:

I just bought an old Honeywell Pentax at the thrift store for $6.99 (the service date listed on the sticker inside the back panel is 1973). I blew 5 bucks on a new battery for the analog light meter that came with it, but the needle won't move so I'm assuming the meter is broken. Is there a way to futz the aperture settings for common light conditions? Could I just guess the level of light and set generalized shutter speed and f/stop levels to compensate? For example, 1/30 and f/11 in indoor light, 1/30 and f/5.6 in sunlight, etc?

The Sunny 16 Rule is what you're looking for. You're looking at approximately 1/100th of a second, at ISO 100, and f/16 in bright sunlight. Photogs have been using Sunny 16 for decades.

There's also the settings which I use for a typical indoor lighting scenario (aka, someone's living room). It's 1/60th at f/4 at ISO 400. I don't remember where I read this one, but it works pretty well for an average room of average brightness.

Neither is perfect, but both will get you in the ballpark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

dunno posted:

The Wired Raw File blog presents their photography pet peeves:

http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2009/08/black-hole/

A-loving-men.