Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
You can change AF focus mode by pressing down on the button that's placed on top of the AF/MF switch that's sitting in the corner by the lens mount.

I sent mine in for service but I think holding the button + top command dial sets AF mode, the back one sets AF-S, AF-C, or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

timrenzi574 posted:

Variable nd's are usually a video thing to maintain SS/aperture in changing light. The IQ out of them is not that great for stills unless you buy the 400$ Singh Ray one. Just get an ndx400 if you want a screw in, or a big stopper if you have lee drop ins.

I've never seen anyone use a variable ND to control exposure like that. Most people use them because you're stuck to 180 degree shutter in video and nobody makes an ISO 25 camera so you need a ridiculous amount of ND just to shoot at f2.

For video I like the Heliopan one.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Some cameras like the Alexas and the Blackmagics have a native ISO of 800 and if you want to maximize your headroom in the shadows and highlights you'd need to be able to quickly adjust exposure for different scenes and lenses.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Has anyone used Formatt's 4x4 Big Stopper equivalent? I was wondering if I could save a few photobucks and not get the Lee one.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Well, it does.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I always buy the Extreme Pro UHS cards because the warranty is ridiculous. Lifetime warranty, and generally they upgrade you to a current model. I had to swap out a 45mb/s card and got a 90mb/s card

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Wait what? I bought the 64gb 95 mb/s card from Best Buy website for $99, do the stores charge different pricing than the website? :psyduck:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Edit: double post

1st AD fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 27, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

A RED Epic costs a shitload more than a DSLR. You can do some great work with one and even pull stills, but video cameras are not replacing stills cameras.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Except video is always shot at 1/{24,25,30,50,60}s, putting limits on the usefulness of frame extraction.

You can get like 120fps at 5k, even more if you crop the sensor.

RangerScum posted:

Anybody in here ever work for a newspaper and care to comment on this topic?

A newspaper couldn't afford a RED Epic :v:

1st AD fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 3, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I think it's dumb for a photographer to be primarily shooting with a red epic, but I imagine he's pulling raw frames and sending jpegs

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

That 70s Shirt posted:

I'm actually having more issues with the new version. It crashes to desktop fairly often for no discernable reason.

But really the biggest problem I have with it is its lagginess. I'm working on an $11,000 computer in the studio at work and when I move a slider in C1 it takes 2-3 seconds for the adjustments to show up. LR works instantaneously. That makes a huge difference in total processing time.

Okay I thought I was going nuts when I was trying to use this on a new Mac Pro, maybe their OpenCL rendering is buggy.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

You could always add like 6 stops of ND I guess

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I don't because I always use manual exposure, but I guess it can help if you're using one of the priority modes and know that the camera will not accurately expose the scene without intervention (like a subject against a very harshly backlit background).

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Also do people still need EC on something like a mirrorless system? I figure you get pretty accurate exposure information in your EVF and can open up or stop down as needed.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Yeah, I just asked because I got my a7ii and saw the dial there. I've never used it in the past with my 7d, must because I too, shoot mostly in manual mode.

:respek:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

But what if you have an A7s and your base ISO is 3200

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Depends on where you are, I guess. In LA I see mostly white lamps at around 5000k now, so it is entirely possible to bring a couple flashes and not have it look like rear end.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I like Squarespace because the layouts are pretty clean and attractive and Flickr, Facebook, etc can be really ugly.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

If $10/month or $150 is too much money to spend on software, how serious can you really get?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

If you can't afford the tools, it's real hard to do the art.

(Don't do piracy. Please don't, love Adobe)

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Photography is not a cheap art form to get into because the absurd cost of equipment, I agree, and barriers to entry are not conducive to the proliferation of good art. All good points.

However, I personally I think that $10/month is not unreasonable or raising the barrier to entry, assuming you already have a computer capable of running Lightroom. And that's just going of regular CC pricing or retail for the software, Lightroom goes on sale all the loving time.

All I'm trying to say is that things are not going to get any cheaper at any point.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Lightroom? Not sure exactly what you're asking, the only adjustment with a graph is curves, and Photoshop has that as well.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 14, 2015

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I don't think node-based grading is a thing in photography, Photoshop and Lightroom or Capture One seem to be the norm.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I always expose for highlights and am always conservative with them, putting them like a half-stop under. But I also have a camera that captures 13 stops and so far I haven't run into a situation where I ran into excessive noise after pulling up shadows.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

You're better off learning how to manipulate curves in Lightroom because none of the presets are especially difficult to emulate on your own.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah but you can make your own preset and then apply it willy nilly instead of spending $100.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

huhu posted:

This might be a bit vague but I'm wondering what's up with the colors in these pictures? How are such strong colors achieved? Is it some delicate balance of Lightroom sliders to get it just right? Film? Fancy lenses?

https://flic.kr/p/q96KZy
https://flic.kr/p/qSTVTZ
https://flic.kr/p/e4oC83

I'm not sure what you mean by "strong color" but the colors don't stand out to me in any of those. The first one works because of contrast, the other two are pretty boring to me.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I just write off the subscription costs as a business expense, it doesn't seem like a big deal to me?

It's actually easier this way for me to pay for the software rather than dropping $2000 for the bundle all at once.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah, Production Premium CS6 cost me $1900 plus tax. Did NOT include Lightroom. A year sub for me costs $360...not that much to be honest.

I kind of wish I knew CC was coming down the pipe because I'd rather have paid $600 a year and not have spent 2 grand up front.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Never had issues with CC authorization.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

No he's right, the AF module is from the D7xx series and is great for crops, but woefully undersized for full frame.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The D610 uses the same AF module as the D600 which is the D7000 AF module.

Just compare your AF reticle to one in a D4 and D800, coverage is way different.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Your D7200 in movie recording will never reach peak write speeds - so if you're not shooting bursts of raw photos it really doesn't matter that much.

I wonder though, when you're using one card to mirror the other, does this affect your raw buffer or does it write to both cards simultaneously?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The lighting isn't just behind, it's also above and to the left of the frame, like it's an hour or two from setting. To fix this you'd need to do some major retouching - the photo of the girl is too evenly lit and you'd need to create some shadows and back lighting.

Unless you are a photoshop wizard it's probably not worth pursuing, and even if you are a wizard it's still not worth it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Also, does it look exposed properly if you switch to manual aperture on the lens?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

This comes years too late. I just upload to Dropbox and use IFTTT to watch my Flickr uploads folder and upload anything new.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

8 bit dithering there, maybe you can add a touch of grain to get rid of it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah it is a bit over-exposed, but unless your sensor is capable of 13+ stops of DR you might not have a lot of wiggle room to underexpose and still retain shadow detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I wouldn't even consider doing uploads while traveling, I've never gotten anything but sub-DSL speeds from a hotel and couldn't imagine throwing 10gb onto my Dropbox from abroad.