Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

OK so I've got something really really strange happening, extra flash is making my pictures more under exposed.

This is the setup...

It's a 350D on full manual with a sunpak on camera flash.

The flash to the right is the Vivitar 283 on M mode on an optical trigger.

So if I sit on the chair and just have the on camera firing, this happens

OK, so lets see what happens if I keep everything as it is and fire the Vivitar to get some fill on the right side...

I really don't understand this at all, how can adding light make my pictures under exposed????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

MrBlandAverage posted:

My guess is that the Vivitar is triggering off the on-camera metering preflash and that the added light is causing the camera to think there's more light from its own flash than there actually is and thus turning down the power. Naturally the Vivitar can't recycle fast enough to flash again during the actual exposure so you end up with no flash from the Vivitar and less power from the on-camera flash.

Man that makes a ton of sense, any ideas on how to get round this?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Cheers for the replies guys but there is no manual mode on the sunpak, looks like I may have to put my hand in my pocket and get some remote triggers....

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Suicide Watch posted:

What is this colored crap on my image? A bad sensor? :ohdear: It only came up when I set my camera to ISO100, when I was shooting at 200 it seemed fine.

On my 350D in the custom settings theres an option for "long exposure noise reduction" which gets rid of this, so, erm, I guess if you shoot canon it might be worth having a look there.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

WildFoxMedia posted:

Do any of you guys ever get into ruts and just find that you can't take anything that you would even consider "Ok"?

I feel like I lack creativity - I see so many shots in PAD and SAD and go "gently caress, I would have never thought to take that picture" - All of my shots feel like "Went to a special event, saw cool thing, took picture" without any sort of... creative process.

Edit: It also feels worse because I now live in a downtown area and expect more of myself - It certainly isn't a bustling Metropolis but it's decent (Petaluma, California)

I throw a film into an old camera and go for a wander, something about not having the instant review or infinite shots of digital make me appraise each shot more and forces me to think about what I'm shooting.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Dead Alice posted:

Anyone able to give me a quick run down on how to test if a Minolta Trip 35's light meter still works? Some guy is selling one real cheap but I don't know anything about the specifics and he's being unhelpful about it.

Do you mean an Olympus Trip 35?

If you do, cover up the whole of the lens including the selenium ring with you hand and try the shutter, if the selenium is good a red "tongue" will pop up inside the viewfinder.

Take away your hand, point it at a bright light and the shutter should fire.

Make sure the aperture setting ring is on A or this won't work.

If you get the red tongue when you point it at something bright then the selenium has degraded and it's busto.

(I have one and it's my favorite camera ever)

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

General photography question.

Why are 35mm nad medium format sensors so expensive? You would have thought by now someone would have cracked this and got us a cheap prosumer MF digital camera.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

the posted:

:nws: for plunging cleavage, but how is a photo like this taken? just a bright flash at close distance? does it matter on the type of flash? I notice there's a slight vignetting around the edges as well.

Ring flash!

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I hope this is the appropriate thread to ask this. My wife bought me my first DSLR for Christmas. I got my "nifty 50", read some stuff here and elsewhere and have been able to take some nice pictures (compared to my old point and shoot at least).

I've seen the book recommendations in the first DSLR thread and will probably be grabbing at least one of them soon. My question is, how valuable are actual classes? Is it worth the money and time compared to just loving around with it yourself and picking up stuff from other users?

I'm currently looking at the classes offered by the Cleveland Photographic Society. 30 hours of instruction over six classes for $175. Seem reasonable (or worthwhile)?

http://www.clevelandphoto.org/fundschool.cfm

Making about 6 bux an hour so I'd expect there to be a lot of people there. Seems OK for something to do on a Saturday for the price, but I'd expect there to be a few "I bought DSLR now me professional $100 wedding pro" people there.

Looking at the course content I'd say that about 80% of that could be picked up in here and on the vast internet, if you're OK with learning by reading thats cool, but if you're a hands on learner then it could be OK I suppose. £175 is hardly anything in photo dollars so I'd say it's not too bad to take a punt on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Musket posted:

You will get hot pixels if you go pretty long, but you can edit those out pretty easy. Ive taken 5min exposures before without worry of the sensor heat, i just had to do a bit of cleaning in post.

Most modern digital SLRS have a custom function called "long exposure noise reduction" what is does is lake an equal length exposure with the shutter closed and then removes all the matching hot pixels from the actual image.

Pretty loving clever.