Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, so please let me know if it should go somewhere else.

I'm using both laptop and desktop computers and up until now I've added all photos to both computers. Whenever I've seen through them and deleted the shittiest ones, I also upload all the rest to my Dropbox. Then, I edit stuff on either computer (the one that I'm using at a given time) and upload the finished edits to Dropbox as well.

This is obviously a horrible workflow which can go wrong at a number of places: I can't start to edit on one computer and continue where I left off on the other. I don't always delete the same lovely ones from both computers, which ends up being a mess when I'm uploading to Dropbox or if I'm just looking through them.

How should I solve this? This guy shows how you can use Dropbox for the catalog file:
http://www.hdrphotographyblog.com/tutorials/sync-lightroom-catalog-with-dropbox/

However, I would still end up with photos all over the place.

With Dropbox recently upping their storage space from 100GB to 1TB, should I just upload them to Dropbox from the start and only save them there? This sounds a bit scary to me, but it might speed up the workflow and give me a better system.

tl;dr: With two computer, my Lightroom workflow is a mess. How do I best solve it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Which photo websites do you use and recommend for inspiration, news and other cool stuff?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

What's the best place to get my digital photos on paper and even in a book? I'd like to be able to design the book myself, in InDesign, Lightroom or some other software. I'd prefer some options re: cover, paper quality etc as well.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Re: the Lightroom discussion above; has anyone else had trouble with Creative Cloud? The Lightroom/Photoshop/Creative Cloud keeps telling me that I have to install my apps (even though I have) and keeps telling me that the PS trial period is over, even though I'm subscribing. According to Google it's a common problem, but I haven't been able to find a definitive solution. It's irritating as gently caress.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

I've had plenty and I'm not alone. The stupid CC program tells me I my trial period is over and has done so for so long that I've stopped using LR and PS on one of my computers - strangely it's only I problem on that computer, not the other. Uninstalling doesn't fix it either.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

89 posted:

What photo structure do you guys use for all of your personal photos? I was thinking maybe converting to Year > Photos with a few sub-folders in the Year folders for stuff like specific vacations and events. Renaming all of my photos as according to Date Taken. Then, I'm trying to figure out where I can import my photos to and then have it rename them automatically and put them in the correct folder without the hassle.
Year - > Month -> Event, when applicable. However I often have a load of photos of everything and nothing. Those I just stuff in the year-folder, as it would be difficult to sort them by month (it could be one photo there, ten photos there) and event (there isn't one in particular).

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

I have no experience with neither Android nor Photo Mate R2 but Snapseed is pretty nice these days.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

huhu posted:

I've got almost no photography books in my collection. What should I get for Christmas? I was already thinking something by Robert Frank, Dorthea Lange, Henri Cartier Bresson, and Vivian Maier.
http://www.amazon.com/Ragnar-Axelsson-Last-Days-Arctic/dp/9935420302

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Get the Olympus OM-1 and live happily ever after.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

The original mercury batteries for the OM-1 aren't made anymore, but you can still use modern 1.5V substitutes. The voltage from these modern batteries apparently drain gradually -unlike the mercury batteries - and some people are therefore afraid that the metering can't be trusted. I've never had a problem and if you're worried you can just replace it regularly.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

How do you safely pack your photo gear for multi-day hikes? Most of the stuff I carry is the things I need for the hiking itself: tent, sleeping bag, gas burner, clothes, etc. I don't want a photo specific backpack, but I'd like to bring photo gear without having to worry about ruining it.

A padded photo bag inside a dry bag?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Popelmon posted:

I got my used Olympus E-M 10 for 250€ with a kit lens. It's a great beginner camera, it is super portable, the image stabilization works rally well and there are tons of cheap primes. The Sigma 19 or 60 mm lenses are super sharp and very affordable.
Listen to this poster.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

DJExile posted:

OM mount has a 21mm f/3.5 that would adapt easily, but yeah if you want to keep it inexpensive I'd snag a used or refurb m4/3 17mm.
My favourite OM mount lens! I've never tried it on the OM-D but it's the lens that I keep on the OM-1 most of the time.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Drythe posted:

So I just bought my first camera and I'm not sure where or if I should post anything I took, all the threads seem to be people yelling at each other?
I suggest you check out the Photo a Day thread, where you have to critique someone else's photo(s) when you post your own. It forces you to think about why you like a photo, why it works, how it could be improved, etc. Your critique could not only help your fellow poster but also yourself as you start to look at photos critically. It might sound daunting but it's not.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Why do you export them one by one? Make a collection and export them all from there.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

They're easy and you can delete it once you've exported all the photos for the album if you don't want it around. You don't need to add more tags to your photos.

If you turn it into a target collection (right click it when you've created it) you can add photos to it by just pressing B. That way you can quickly make a collection (think of it is an album) from different folders. It also fixes your exporting issue.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

You understand correctly. Godspeed!

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

I think the consensus is that the Olympus TG-5 is the best.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

What's the go to place for creating photo books these days?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

joat mon posted:

I'd like to learn more about this. Did you build your own rig? What were the bits that needed to be sorted out?
This popped up on my Youtube the other day. Looks like a nice and simple setup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aThAi4jan8

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

I just discovered a tiny scratch on the front element of one of my lenses. It’s hardly visible and I can’t feel it, so I guess it’s a tiny one* (would it be worse if I could feel the scratch with my nail, in other words if the scratch was “deeper”?) Should I be worried about anything other than possibly the resell value?

* it seems like only the coating is scratched, not the glass itself, possibly by a filter

Xabi fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 20, 2019

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Well that was quick and reassuring. Thank you, people!

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

You don't have to go to Library mode and filter again, just go to top menu Photo > Delete Rejected Files.

e: hmm you are already in library mode when you're rejecting, so just go to the top menu when you've gone through all the photos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

BambooTelegraph posted:

Quick question:

I'm pretty new to photography in general and was hoping to purchase a beginner camera, but wasn't sure if I should go the road of DSLR or Mirrorless.

I was initially under the impression that mirrorless would be impossible on a budget, but I'm coming across 8 year old mirrorless cameras like the NEX-F3 that easily fall within my budget. At this point, I'm a little confused on what to do, as a beginner photographer what am I missing out on if I purchase an 8 year old mirrorless versus the 6 year old rebel t5 or the 4 year old rebel t6. In advance, thanks.
Get an Olympus E-M10 or E-M5. The older models are pretty cheap these days.

Tiny, easy to use, lots of lenses to choose from.