Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Is there a special method for batch re-sizing photographs? I have a bunch of pictures that are 4MB but I don't think they really need to be so large. Would there be a large loss in quality in reducing the size of the pictures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm trying to understand the book I'm reading and hopefully you guys can clarify on this for me... say I have some stalks of wheat in the foreground and a red barn and sky in the background, and I want to focus on both... would I focus the camera(Sony a290 DSLR) at a distance between the two, set the aperature to f22 and then take the picture?

And a similar question. Say I have a tree in the foreground, and a mountain off in the background. The tree is a bit dark and the sky is bright and the mountain is covered in snow. The only solution I can think of is to use an ND filter to reduce the brightness of the mountain. If I didn't have an ND filter though, how would I go about taking this picture?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Could someone please dumb down this paragraph about 18% reflectance? The part about seeing in black and white. I don't really understand what that means.

Your camera’s light meter (whether center-weighted, matrix/ evaluative, or spot) does not “see” the world in either living color or black and white but rather as a neutral gray. In addition, your reflected-light meter is also calibrated to assume that all those neutral-gray subjects will reflect back approximately 18% of the light that hits them.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Does anyone listen to any podcasts about photography? Is that even a thing? I checked out a podcast that was typically about an hour long and the first ten minutes, at least, of the podcast, they rambled on about nothing really relevant to photography in my opinion. The podcast in question was This Week In Photography. Should I try again and check out another episode?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

deaders posted:

I have a bunch of these, way better than a podcast:

:thumbsup: Do they convert each picture to 1,000 words?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
How should I go about handling pictures of little children on sites like flickr and 500px? I live in rural Panama and it's pretty common for children under five years old to be either naked or just have something covering up the bottom. I'm a little wary about Googling this question.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

triplexpac posted:

I'm confused, is this something you want to photograph and are wondering how to go about it? Or are you taking pictures of other stuff and naked kids accidentally run into frame? Or are parents asking you to take photos of their naked children?

I have one shot of a little girl with just a bottom on. She ran up to me and asked me to take her picture. That's the only picture I have that would fall into this area and don't really plan on having many more. I guess I'm just weirded out a bit by this subject matter and all the creepiness that can be associated with it.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
So I thought hdr seemed pretty cool, watched a video tutorial, downloaded the suggested application, and was hoping to try it out soon. Then I saw a hdr photo posted in the landscape thread and it got poo poo on. Do good photos come from hdr or they all horribly over processed crap like what you see on 500px?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

ZippySLC posted:

The problem, though, is that the unwashed masses (i.e.: non photographers) think that HDR photography is awesome and looks good.

Everything on 500px front page is so ugly, but so loved. :sigh:

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
So I'm waking with my dslr planning on going about the city taking shots. I'm walking quickly through different light outside, on the subway, indoors, etc. I'm having a hell of a time switching through white balance, shutter speed, programing effects, etc. I'm already realizing the limitations on my camera (Sony a290) and I'm wondering if there are other cameras which handle situations like this a lot better?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I've read a bunch of discussion here on SA about selling pictures and all that business and I swore I'd not have to ask questions and also never expected it to happen nearly this soon. I was out shooting night shots in Panama City tonight and a woman walked up to me and asked if I could send her some of my pictures. I said sure and got her email address. I expected a personal email address but it turns out she gave me the email for a pretty big company that does sporting events. There wasn't discussion of buying/selling but I think I could spin this into an opportunity to photograph events in the future or whatever. Please educate me so that I do not gently caress this up.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

toggle posted:

Dear Dorkroom,

Could anyone suggest good workflows for storage and backup? What and how do you do it? What do you use to do this? External drives? Cloud storage? Back ups of back ups??? My personal computer is just overflowing with raw files of cat photos!!!! Filled to the brim with pussy shots

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you,
I pull all my pictures off my SD card and sort into keep/delete using IrfanView. I then drop those into folders. My folder names have typically been places I've been. For large folders, like the fact that I'm living in Panama for 2 years, I split up the folders by year and then by month so I've got a "2014 Panama" folder and within that, folders for each month.

All my pictures are synced to Google Drive from these folders. I pay $1.99 a month for 125GB. I've also decided to throw up all of these pictures onto Flickr. The majority are in private albums, for storage purposes only. The public ones are my portfolio.

I also have an external HD which I pull out once a month and sync it to my pictures folder. Also, since I can, I sync my pictures to my 80GB iPod.

This method is for JPG and I've only got 18GB worth of pictures. You could scratch out the part about Flickr and iPod and upload all your RAW stuff to Google Drive and backup to external HD.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I took a physics class on light, lenses, etc a few years back. I've since forgotten most of it. I was wondering if it would be useful for my photography for me to go back and review this information?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm watching random video tutorials and such and one guy was spraying flowers with a spray bottle to get that, "just after sunrise effect" and another guy kept dragging a piece of driftwood along the beach in a sunset over the ocean shot to get it nicely placed in the picture. What the gently caress? Why do people do this poo poo?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Ugh. So I''ve had my Sony a290 about three years now. I was playing around with it the other day testing what speed I could snap photos with the different file types at. The next day I went out to shoot a parade and my camera started making a bad sounding noise near the shutter. I don't think it's the lens since I tried two different lenses. I've also used multiple batteries.

Not sure if this is related but I'll add it anyways. The next day I went off to a festival and stayed the night in an AC room then went out to shoot on a very (probably 90F) day. That day I started getting reinsert SD card errors and the screen randomly dimming.

How bad of a situation am I in? Any suggestions?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Should I be modifying the size of images before I upload them to websites like Flickr? I'm currently uploading ~7mb JPG files.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I have an issue with my camera. Tested two lenses so I know it's my camera... when I take a picture of something, I line up the shot, take the picture, but the resulting image that comes up on my LCD is shifted down by a few inches. Any idea what is causing this?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

What camera do you own?

Sony A290.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Are there any challenges/competitions that goons like to be involved with on Flickr, Tumblr, 500px, or wherever else? I've been completing NatGeo's YourShot stuff for a bit but I'd like to work on some more stuff.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Shampoo posted:

Should I bother making a website for my photos, or should I just stick with Flickr? I'll never be amazing at it, and I'll never make money at it, I just like taking pictures of things, and I crave validation.

I would start with social media sites before your own website. Or do them together. No one is going to just visit your site. Start with 500 px, tumblr, flickr, Instagram, etc.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Is it a common thing in the photography world to pull up a picture, click through a ton of presets you purchased/downloaded for free until you find the "right" one, apply it, and then move on to the next one, similar to Instagram filters? I'm working on learning to do black and white in Lightroom among other things and it's so tempting to just start clicking through presets until I find one I like but I feel like that'd be cheating.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm doing a 365 photo challenge for myself and I've realized as part of the project, I'd like to focus on various aspects of photography and learn more about them. Some of the things on my list include Sunny 16 rule, square format, zone system, post production, focus stacking, HDR, rule of threes(not thirds)/triangles. I'm wondering if there are other things big/small worth checking out that you guys suggest.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

ExecuDork posted:

Something about bokeh? Focal length and apparent perspective. The exposure triangle (ISO / aperture / shutter speed). B&W vs. Colour (vs. selective colour - you're already talking about HDR, why not another photo cliche?). Filters - polarizing, neutral density, graduated ND, and the various cheap-fun filters like star effects or multipliers; filters designed for film and predating the digital post-processing era, like those "balanced" for tungsten or fluorescent lights. Macro and extreme macro (you're already doing focus stacking). Astrophotography and other really long exposures. Any kind of exotic lighting situation (a dozen flashes of different power; interiors lit by 3 or more qualitatively different light sources; bright light source in-frame).

What kinds of photography do you think of as your rut / comfort zone? Figure out a genre of photography you rarely or never do, and do a bunch of that.
Have you ever paid a model for a shoot? Have you ever done a commissioned shoot, either for money or just at the request of somebody you respect and want to impress?

When you run out of ideas (I'll be generous and give you until mid-June), buy something new and exciting, spend a lot of money (by your own personal standards).
Thanks for all your tips. Currently a broke rear end Peace Corps volunteer so my selection of goods to gently caress around with is limited. However I've got all the time in the world to learn about new stuff. Any comments on the exposure triangle? I was looking for more advanced/out there topics, I feel like I've already got the three down pretty well but I might be wrong. I've also got genres of photography on my list specifically more macro, landscapes, and street photography. I'll add stuff to my list and I'll be back again in a few months, unless you or anyone else has more to add.

8th-snype posted:

You forgot dick pix.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

huhu fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 24, 2015

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

RangerScum posted:

I suggest not doing a 365. If you really want to do a year-long thing make it a 52 at most.
Any reasoning? I'm guessing you're coming from the angle of quantity vs quality? I checked Lightroom and last year I took pictures roughly 200/365 days. I've got a job (Peace Corps) where I've got crazy amounts of free time to achieve this project versus people who have to work a 9-5 and deal with all the before/after work crap. I feel like a 52 week challenge would be a bit underwhelming for the amount of free time that I have.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

Do a 365 but don't share every day because if you do that you are a terrible person who deserves to use a rebel t3 with a kit lens with a uv filter on it.

Flickr album title right here.

Thanks for all the input.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
This might be a bit vague but I'm wondering what's up with the colors in these pictures? How are such strong colors achieved? Is it some delicate balance of Lightroom sliders to get it just right? Film? Fancy lenses?

https://flic.kr/p/q96KZy
https://flic.kr/p/qSTVTZ
https://flic.kr/p/e4oC83

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

BANME.sh posted:

You can make colors stronger by increasing the vibrance or saturation sliders in lightroom. If you want to target a specific color, you can increase the saturation of that color in the HSL panel. There is really no trick to it. Just don't go overboard. The red in that last photo looks unnatural. If your photos look faded out, you might get more pleasing color tones by simply increasing the contrast.

I already know of these sliders but as I use them I don't get nearly as great a feeling a satisfaction with the color as with those photos. I guess there's nothing more than continuing to practice and experiment to get the right feeling in the image.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I was at a cultural event the other day in a tent around noon and I was shooting wide open at f1.7 with ISO 3200 to 6400 (max ISO is 12,800 which is pretty poo poo) without flash. A ton of my pictures were too dark but I didn't want to go keep firing off the flash. I'm wondering if there are any other things I could do with my camera to get better lit pictures?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

HPL posted:

Good noise reduction software can get you a stop or two extra ISO. Also, what kind of camera and shutter speeds are you using? 6400 at f/1.7 should be plenty enough for at least 1/60 in a tent at noon.

I should have specified... it was sufficient, I'm using a Sony A55 but I wanted to get down to ISO 1600 or 800 if possible because the noise at 6400 was pretty bad.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
If I convert all my images to DNG files does that mean that everything (edits, keywords, description, whatever else could possibly be stored in a Lightroom library) is stored in the DNG? I'm traveling for the next four months and while I'll have my computer, I want to be able to edit everything in Lightroom, convert to DNG and throw it up on Google Drive and be done with it without having to worry about libraries, corruption, XML files (if possible), etc.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Bojanglesworth posted:

This probably is not the correct place to post this, however I can't find a better place so here goes!

I am in need of a piece of software and I have pretty specific needs. Perhaps somebody knows of one, or would be interested in creating this software for me in exchange for dollars.

I need to be able to plug my Canon 7d into my computer (PC or Mac) via USB, and have an intravolometer feature which allows me to take one photo per second and automatically save onto my computer.

I have tried the EOS utlity, and it works great with the exception of the minimum time being five seconds between photos.

Edit: The volume of photos I have to take in a day is kind of insane, so every second helps

Why not just use a 3rd party remote control and tethering with Lightroom?

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/38165202
http://amzn.com/B005OUUFGK

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Wrong thread.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Would anyone happen to know of a picture where there are three men bathing/swimming on the steps on the side of a river and each is in a different process of going into the water/in the water/getting out of the water? Between the three a triangle is formed. I found it once while searching and can't find it again. I thought I saw it on Eric Kim's blog but I can't find it again.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Rot posted:

This one?

Michael Freeman, "The Photographer's Mind", pg 86

Can't seem to find it via GIS

Yeah that's it, thanks. It appears that they Photoshop'd the one guy out of the image I saw online which is a bit frustrating.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Any good blogs/flickr groups/whatever that show photographs pre/post editing? I'm not looking for heavy handed Photoshop work, just basic touch ups like sharpness, contrast, white balance, etc.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I feel like I'm averaging a new follower on Flickr every other day or so but when I checkout my followers list it seems like I always hover around the same number. What reason would people have to follow me and then unfollow me? Are the fishing for people to follow them back just to increase their numbers?

Edit: Just checked the 4 most recent people to follow me and they're following between 15,000 and 25,000 people. Ugh.

huhu fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 28, 2015

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Is there some kind of 18% rule for the color yellow? I was taking a picture with my RX100 of an all yellow scene and as soon as the camera "realized" it as all yellow, it immediately turned to a grayish color. I could move the camera to another scene that was half yellow and half another color and the yellow would be just fine then.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Fart Amplifier posted:

Was the lighting yellow, or like the actual scene yellow? If the latter, turn your WB selector to the setting closest to the lighting in the yellow scene (incandescent for actual incandescent lights, sunlight for actual sunlight). If the former, shoot in RAW, set your white balance adjustment to none to see what the camera saw, and then adjust for taste from there.
Yellow paint. Thanks for the tips.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
On the RX100, and in general, what do modes such as sports and macro mean? For example, would setting the camera to sports mode try and set the fastest shutter feed with continuous focus and similar effects? So if I already know what I need for a sports photo, I'm better off just switching to shutter priority and changing the settings from there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Ashex posted:

Has anyone ever used a tablet for basic editing of their shots? I'll be travelling around Thailand for a few weeks and am only taking my D7000 and tablet, no laptop. I'll have a huge memory card in my camera but I'd like to be able to do some basic editing on the road so I can share stuff on the fly.

I'll have my Nexus 10, I took a quick look and it seems that Photo Mate R2 is a favourite. Any suggestions on another app to consider?

I'd suggest reading up on managing your photos while traveling with respects to theft, loss, etc. Don't want to be carrying several weeks worth of travel photos on a single memory card.

At the very least I'd say make a backup to a second or third SD card and store them in different locations in your bags. WiFi is pretty regular throughout Thailand but some places you could still be without or it might not be fast enough to backup to the internet.