Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snappo
Jun 18, 2006
Don't waste your time and energy seeking out interesting subjects to photograph each day. Wait for them to arrive in your comfort zone, and then take a picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snappo
Jun 18, 2006
C'mon, 50k per year is a shot every 7 minutes during waking hours. That's plenty of time to nail focus.

snappo
Jun 18, 2006

Pukestain Pal posted:

How do you guys go about micro adjustment per lens? Every time I do it, it seems like I gently caress it up even more. I have one of those physical target thingies.

Shoot a speck on the carpet 6 or 8 feet in front of you at the widest aperture, in the center focus point, and view picture. Is the focal plane in front of or behind the speck? Adjust micro-tuning 5mm and repeat. Keep narrowing the adjustments until you don't see a difference, it should take 5 shots max. On a highly textured flat surface, the focal plane is super easy to see, even on a tiny camera screen, especially when you flip back and forth between pictures with different adjustments.

I took my brand new 35mm f/1.8 lens to a music festival and noticed my first few pictures were horribly back-focused. I calibrated it on the spot within about 3 minutes and haven't touched the settings since.

snappo
Jun 18, 2006
You can hand-hold ultrawides down to ridiculous shutter speeds. Remember the 1/focal length rule?

Use it when you want the foreground to be huge and the background to be tiny. Use it to make small spaces look big. Use it to capture the feeling of being immersed in the space. Angle it up or down to exploit converging lines.

If it's the Nikon 12-24, stop down to f/8 for crazy sharpness.

snappo
Jun 18, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

However, at 26mm, fairly closed aperture and 1/400s shutter I wouldn't have thought that was the 'issue'.

Notice that it's not an issue at all when looking at the wider shot. The farther you zoom into a scene, whether by optics or cropping, the more you'll see blur from camera shake. The one-over-focal-length shutter speed rule goes out the window when you crop or enlarge.

I imagine you're running into one or more of the following factors:

1. Your shutter speed is too slow to eliminate blur at the pixel-peeping level
2. You're seeing the limits of sharpness that your lens can resolve
3. Your camera is front or back focusing with all of your lenses

Test for #3 by getting down on your elbows and shooting a speck of lint on the carpet five feet in front of you, wide open. You'll be able to see the focal plane very easily, and whether it's in front of or behind the lint you focused on.