Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qwako
Sep 11, 2009
I would love to watch something similar to Dirty Pretty Things, such a good film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterFister
Jul 6, 2003

Sticking it to THE MAN, assuming THE MAN is an innocent casual dining restaurant.
I'm looking for more great Cold War era Russian cinema. I've seen Solaris, Stalker, Kin-Dza-Dza!, and Come and See. I loved them all and was wondering what else to watch! Thanks!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

MisterFister posted:

I'm looking for more great Cold War era Russian cinema. I've seen Solaris, Stalker, Kin-Dza-Dza!, and Come and See. I loved them all and was wondering what else to watch! Thanks!

Since you've already started with Tarkovsky, check out Nostalghia, Ivan's Childhood and The Mirror.

Also:
The Cranes Are Flying
The Letter Never Sent
I Am Cuba
Ballad of a Soldier
Shadows of Our Forgotten Ancestors
The Color of Pomegranates
The Ascent
Wings
Gypsies Are Found Near Heaven

qwako posted:

I would love to watch something similar to Dirty Pretty Things, such a good film.

Similar in what way? A few that are similar in tone:

4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days
The Death of Mr. Lazarescu
Sophie Scholl: The Final Days
The Lives of Others
The Lovers on the Bridge

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 23, 2009

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
I don't know if this falls a little outside what this thread is about, but here goes.

I'm looking for more behind the scenes docus in same vein as The Hamster Factor and Other Tales of Twelve Monkeys, The Beginning: Making Episode I or Lost in La Mancha.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Trump posted:

I don't know if this falls a little outside what this thread is about, but here goes.

I'm looking for more behind the scenes docus in same vein as The Hamster Factor and Other Tales of Twelve Monkeys, The Beginning: Making Episode I or Lost in La Mancha.

Heart of Darkness (Apocalypse Now)
Burden of Dreams (Fitzcarraldo)
Dangerous Days (Blade Runner)
American Movie (Northwestern/Coven)

Kinda hard to recommend... many major films have an extensive making-of on the DVD.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
I'm a huge fan of David Cronenberg and have seen quite a few of his body-horror films. Was wondering if there's any other directors or films that are similar to his style or compliment his films well.

I'm basically looking for something along the lines of Videodrome, Dead Ringers, The Fly and The Brood but not necessarily directed by Cronenberg.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

sulphix posted:

I'm a huge fan of David Cronenberg and have seen quite a few of his body-horror films. Was wondering if there's any other directors or films that are similar to his style or compliment his films well.

I'm basically looking for something along the lines of Videodrome, Dead Ringers, The Fly and The Brood but not necessarily directed by Cronenberg.

You might like Brian DePalma's Sisters.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

sulphix posted:

Cronenberg also did a movie called Spider that you might like. And Takashi Miike's Audition just might fit as well (though you shouldn't read anything about it -- going in knowing nothing about it is the best way to experience it)

e: Maybe Tetsuo. It's on Netflix Instant Streaming.

CinnamonToastFunk
Nov 11, 2008

"He is ill clothed that is bare of funk."
--Pimpjammin Funklin

Steve Yun posted:

Someone recommend me which particular version of Tosca or Don Giovanni to rent from netflix.

Here's a production of Don Giovanni on Youtube, conducted by James Levine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f21TsqCwqo4

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Regression posted:

Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind

Or, in general, good/interesting independent movies that most people miss but shouldn't.

Check out Science of Sleep. It's genuinely weird, but entertaining.

Thanks for the spy movie suggestions. :)

Regression
Nov 7, 2009
Thanks for the recommendations related to Eternal Sunshine and to Buffalo '66.

CinnamonToastFunk posted:

Watch everything else Charlie Kaufman has written, especially Synecdoche, New York.

e: just a quick warning, you will probably contemplate suicide after seeing it

Ooh, this does sound good. And with Philip Seymour Hoffman! On the other hand, even Eternal Sunshine was enough to make me contemplate suicide. ;)

Added: And thanks for the recommendation of Science of Sleep, a cursory glance seems to suggest it is quite what I'm looking for. :)

Regression fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 24, 2009

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

FitFortDanga posted:

Heart of Darkness (Apocalypse Now)
Burden of Dreams (Fitzcarraldo)
Dangerous Days (Blade Runner)
American Movie (Northwestern/Coven)

Kinda hard to recommend... many major films have an extensive making-of on the DVD.

It's a bit hard to find, but Demon Lover Diary is great. It's like Heart of Darkness but instead of a masterpiece, they're making an absolutely dogshit horror movie.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

Maybe Tetsuo. It's on Netflix Instant Streaming.

Just watched this last night. I wasn't sure what I was watching, but I knew it's what I was looking for. Thanks for the recommendation.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I recommend Buffalo 66 as a wistful reminder of what Christina Ricci used to look like.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Mung Dynasty posted:

I'm late to the party on responding to this, but if you're still reading and haven't seen it already, Eden Lake is a pretty brutal and upsetting horror film.

Funny you should suggest this. I haven't seen this thread since the first few recommendations from that post, and I checked back today after watching Eden Lake yesterday :haw:

It wasn't half-bad. Didn't enjoy it as much as the Martyrs, Haute Tension, L'Interieur trio, but it was pretty good.

So recently I watched Persepolis and absolutely loved it. I really liked the set pieces and culture study and it occurred to me that I'm not really familiar with any other films that deal with the Iranian Revolution, especially on an individual level.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm sick of seeing Middle-East based films from the level of soldiers. Give me civilians, militia, politicians, etc...

deetron69
Jan 18, 2005

MisterFister posted:

My main experience with Soviet cinema is from the twenties and thirties, but there were some real gems made in the sixties. If you've got the patience, Sergei Bondarchuk's adaptation of War and Peace made in 1969 is very well done; perhaps the definitive Napoleonic War picture, and adjusted for inflation, the most expensive film ever made.

They also had their own interpretation of the Western, set generally in central asia, called the Ostern. "White Sun of the Desert" is a standout amongst these.

If you count the greater Warsaw Pact, there were some interesting works made; one I really liked was called Ikarie XB-1, made in czechoslovakia. Very interesting science fiction with some very advanced photography, considering it was made in the mid-sixties. I can't help but see some of its influence in Kubrick's 2001

angryhampster posted:

Can someone recommend me a good spy film outside of the Bond and Bourne series?

Michaelangelo Antonioni's "The Passenger" is great, and stars a young Jack Nicholson.

deetron69 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 25, 2009

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Wreath of Barbs posted:

Anyone got any ideas? I'm sick of seeing Middle-East based films from the level of soldiers. Give me civilians, militia, politicians, etc...

It's not about the Iranian revolution, but Where Is The Friend's Home ("aka Where Is The Friend's House") (Kiarostami) might fit the bill. It's about a rural schoolboy in Iran. You can't really get more civilian than a kid trying to return a friend's notebook at another village, and you get a unique look at rural Iran from the film.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
What are some movies with well-executed first-person segments? Off the top of my head all I can think of is the SQUID recordings from Strange Days, Doom's last big firefight, and the Evil Dead trilogy.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

...of SCIENCE! posted:

What are some movies with well-executed first-person segments? Off the top of my head all I can think of is the SQUID recordings from Strange Days, Doom's last big firefight, and the Evil Dead trilogy.

The entire first half of Dark Passage is first-person. I guess it's well-executed, but as a gimmick it gets old after a while.

Russian Ark is entirely first-person, and one take. It's impressive, although the subject matter is rather dry.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

...of SCIENCE! posted:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

the posted:

God, I can't wait for February.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I have not seen it, but Lady in the Lake is a Chandler detective movie entirely shot in first person.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039545/

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

penismightier posted:

God, I can't wait for February.

I hope it comes out on Laserdisc.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Please recommend some neo-noir thrillers where the hero is completely out of his element with the odds horribly against him, and the more he finds out and the deeper he digs, the more hosed he is. I love it when these take a supernatural or just plain weird turn, or any kind of supernatural or horror/noir hybrids at all. So far I have enjoyed Angel Heart, Lord of Illusions, In the Mouth of Madness, Constantine, Oldboy, Lost Highway, and Twin Peaks (the series and the Fire Walk With Me movie).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Dark City fits your requirements pretty perfectly, but you could also stick Brazil in there.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Please recommend some neo-noir thrillers where the hero is completely out of his element with the odds horribly against him, and the more he finds out and the deeper he digs, the more hosed he is. I love it when these take a supernatural or just plain weird turn, or any kind of supernatural or horror/noir hybrids at all. So far I have enjoyed Angel Heart, Lord of Illusions, In the Mouth of Madness, Constantine, Oldboy, Lost Highway, and Twin Peaks (the series and the Fire Walk With Me movie).

The Big Lebowski. :v: (Seriously.)

Since you mentioned a couple of Lynch films you should also check out Blue Velvet.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Dark City is in my all-time top ten favorites, I also love Brazil, I keep meaning to see Big Lebowski again (haven't seen it since it came out), and now that I'm a Twin Peaks junkie, I also need to give Blue Velvet a new viewing. All great choices, though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Recommend me some movies that make good use of surround sound.

I ask because I just watched Dark Knight with 5.1, and when the Joker shoots at the SWAT van carrying Harvey Dent, you can hear bullet holes popping in front of you, then to your right, then behind you. I want more movies that have that kind of fun use of sound.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

The last four are horror movies, but they certainly fit what you're seeking I think:
Chinatown, King of the Ants, Phantasm, Prince of Darkness, They Live.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I'm guessing you've already seen the original Planet of the Apes? Not noir, but otherwise fits what you're looking for

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
Probably a long shot, but somebody linked me to the Japanese horror comic Uzumaki (Spiral) yesterday. I have never read a manga before but I just loved the feel of it and can't get it out of my head. Can anybody recommend me some Horror movies that have a similar feel to this? Something monstrous.

:nws: http://www.onemanga.com/Uzumaki/1/39/

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Wormophile posted:

Probably a long shot, but somebody linked me to the Japanese horror comic Uzumaki (Spiral) yesterday. I have never read a manga before but I just loved the feel of it and can't get it out of my head. Can anybody recommend me some Horror movies that have a similar feel to this? Something monstrous.

I'm not entirely confident that I understand what you mean, but I took a look at the link and I'm assuming you're after something featuring horrific and deformed monstrosities?

From Beyond
:nws:https://wi.somethingawful.com/9a/9af243acbde99a59876d6489ca27bcb63d2a8613.jpg#via=salr
Stuart Gordon doing Lovecraft (as he often does). Most people prefer "Re-Animator" but I really like this film, and a really nice edition came out last year.

Slither
:nws:https://wi.somethingawful.com/4e/4e29b6893f0dea9b32c6fe73404bb0efba34aeb2.jpg#via=salr
This is a throwback film to goofy and splattery (is that a word?) horror from the 80s. In some ways, it borrows its look from "From Beyond" in fact, although a larger influence on it would be "Night of the Creeps".

Hausu
https://wi.somethingawful.com/be/beb1dea1f28cd5aabfee88cf17b049ffbe8d6ac3.jpg#via=salr
If you were actually looking for some freaky and surreal asian horror, look no further than Hausu, which is currently making the rounds for cinematic screenings and will soon show up on a nice new DVD edition. I'm not positive, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Hausu wasn't an influence on Uzumaki.

I'm not sure if we have to NWS gory images like this (the "Hausu" image isn't really gory but I thought I'd be consistent), but I've done so just in case.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 26, 2009

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Wormophile posted:

:nws: http://www.onemanga.com/Uzumaki/1/39/

And you know that there's a movie version of Spiral too, right? YMMV, but I absolutely loved it. Very weird stuff. (To be fair, I have not read the book at all.)

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Mung Dynasty posted:

Recommend some simplistic, glossy, loud, crass, overproduced garbage that is also somehow watchable or even likable.

I loved SHOOT EM UP! You should check that one out. Totally fun, over the top, violent, kind of gross but really really good.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

northerain posted:

Any movies taking place in Alaska or similar, like:
The Thing
30 Days of Night
Thaw

What about LIMBO?

Steve Yun posted:

Recommend me some movies that make good use of surround sound.

U-571

oceanside
Nov 4, 2009
I'm looking for movies with quite a heavy focus on dialogue. They don't necessarily have to be entirely dialogue without much action (although I did enjoy 12 Angry Men). I suppose Pulp Fiction would be the best example because of the exchanges between the characters, Reservoir Dogs is another example too.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

oceanside posted:

I'm looking for movies with quite a heavy focus on dialogue. They don't necessarily have to be entirely dialogue without much action (although I did enjoy 12 Angry Men). I suppose Pulp Fiction would be the best example because of the exchanges between the characters, Reservoir Dogs is another example too.

Glengarry Glen Ross if you want drama, The Princess Bride if you want comedy, All About Eve if you want a classic.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

oceanside posted:

Anything by Richard Linklater.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

oceanside posted:

It just occured to me that you would probably also really like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oceanside
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks for the recommendations guys, some of these look pretty good. I think I'll check out Glengarry Glen Ross first.

Adrianics posted:

It just occured to me that you would probably also really like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

You're right! I love that movie. In fact, I'd probably put it in my top 10. I should also mention that Clerks is another example of what I enjoy.

• Locked thread