Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bitt3n
Aug 19, 2006

oceanside posted:

I'm looking for movies with quite a heavy focus on dialogue. They don't necessarily have to be entirely dialogue without much action (although I did enjoy 12 Angry Men). I suppose Pulp Fiction would be the best example because of the exchanges between the characters, Reservoir Dogs is another example too.

anything by neil labute or david mamet, eg in the company of men, your friends and neighbors, the spanish prisoner, or house of games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
I'm looking for a good comedy. We watched "I Love You, Man" yesterday and we both liked a lot (she's been calling me Jobin throughout the day) and it would be nice to find something that is funny/cute but also something a guy can appreciate.

I'm pretty ignorant about recent movies so there might be something recent and popular that might fit what I need but I probably don't know about it.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I don't watch a lot of recent movies either but Tropic Thunder is the only recent one I've seen that I thought was pretty funny. Hmm, maybe it's not cute exactly...

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

baw posted:

I'm looking for a good comedy. We watched "I Love You, Man" yesterday and we both liked a lot (she's been calling me Jobin throughout the day) and it would be nice to find something that is funny/cute but also something a guy can appreciate.

I'm pretty ignorant about recent movies so there might be something recent and popular that might fit what I need but I probably don't know about it.

Seen Forgetting Sarah Marshall? Most of the Apatow crew's stuff will fit the bill, but that's far and away my favorite.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

penismightier posted:

Seen Forgetting Sarah Marshall? Most of the Apatow crew's stuff will fit the bill, but that's far and away my favorite.

I read some reviews and it seems exactly what we were looking for. Thanks!

baw fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 27, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
In addition to Forgetting Sarah Marshall, try The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Knocked Up, 500 Days of Summer, Away We Go, and Role Models. Definitely not Tropic Thunder.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Steve Yun posted:

Recommend me some movies that make good use of surround sound.

I ask because I just watched Dark Knight with 5.1, and when the Joker shoots at the SWAT van carrying Harvey Dent, you can hear bullet holes popping in front of you, then to your right, then behind you. I want more movies that have that kind of fun use of sound.

The Matrix and Terminator 2 both do things like that in the big shootout scenes.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Please recommend some neo-noir thrillers where the hero is completely out of his element with the odds horribly against him, and the more he finds out and the deeper he digs, the more hosed he is. I love it when these take a supernatural or just plain weird turn, or any kind of supernatural or horror/noir hybrids at all. So far I have enjoyed Angel Heart, Lord of Illusions, In the Mouth of Madness, Constantine, Oldboy, Lost Highway, and Twin Peaks (the series and the Fire Walk With Me movie).

Not a lot of neo-noir that comes to mind that you probably haven't already seen
Memento, but I'm sure you've seen that. Sin City would fit the bill perfectly (especially Marve's story arc) but I bet you've seen it.
For similar themes but without the noir, Serpent and the Rainbow maybe. The Game.

oceanside posted:

I'm looking for movies with quite a heavy focus on dialogue. They don't necessarily have to be entirely dialogue without much action (although I did enjoy 12 Angry Men). I suppose Pulp Fiction would be the best example because of the exchanges between the characters, Reservoir Dogs is another example too.
If you're a romantic at heart, Before Sunrise and Before Sunset. Watch Sunrise first, then take a month off before seeing Before Sunset.
Others: Tape, In the Company of Men, The Shape of Things

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

oceanside posted:

'night Mother, if you can find it - it's only on VHS.

Mother and daughter have a little talk... :suicide:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%27night,_Mother

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Can someone recommend me films that use natural light exclusively? I've already seen as many Dogme films as I can obtain, so I'm looking for some besides those. They can be of any genre, or even be terrible movies, as I'm just interested in the natural light aspect.

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 2, 2009

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

codyclarke posted:

Can someone recommend me films that use natural light exclusively? I've already seen as many Dogme films as I can obtain, so I'm looking for some besides those. They can be of any genre, or even be terrible movies, as I'm just interested in the natural light aspect.

There's a spate of period pieces that were big on natural light - Amadeus was shot all natural and I'm pretty sure but not positive The Duellists used it heavily as well. The Big One is Barry Lyndon, of course:

NASA-designed lenses to shoot in candlelight, suckas.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1240799/barry_lyndon_seducing_without_words/

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

penismightier posted:

There's a spate of period pieces that were big on natural light - Amadeus was shot all natural and I'm pretty sure but not positive The Duellists used it heavily as well. The Big One is Barry Lyndon, of course:

NASA-designed lenses to shoot in candlelight, suckas.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1240799/barry_lyndon_seducing_without_words/

Wow, I don't know how I never knew that Barry Lyndon used natural light! I'll check that out ASAP. Thank you for all your suggestions.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Barry Lyndon only used natural light in that one scene. Most of it is lit normally just dimmer to try to mimic natural light.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I'm looking for movies that gradually build a really creepy atmosphere/setting/characters. Movies that drop scattered hints that Something Is Not Quite Right that grow more frequent that leaves the realization of the full scope of how hosed up it is until the end of the film or even until reflection upon the film afterwards. Can someone help me out?

I'm having a hard time thinking of specific examples of what I mean - Audition did the slow burn build up really well and Dark City (the director's cut at least with the awful expository monologue cut out) was good at letting you know things were weird without telling you precisely how. Am I describing what I mean properly?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Attorney at Funk posted:

I'm looking for movies that gradually build a really creepy atmosphere/setting/characters. Movies that drop scattered hints that Something Is Not Quite Right that grow more frequent that leaves the realization of the full scope of how hosed up it is until the end of the film or even until reflection upon the film afterwards. Can someone help me out?

I'm having a hard time thinking of specific examples of what I mean - Audition did the slow burn build up really well and Dark City (the director's cut at least with the awful expository monologue cut out) was good at letting you know things were weird without telling you precisely how. Am I describing what I mean properly?

Jacob's Ladder and, to a lesser extent, The Machinist would both fit that criteria quite snugly.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Jacob's Ladder and, to a lesser extent, The Machinist would both fit that criteria quite snugly.

drat, you're right, I'd forgotten those, which is weird since they're two of my favorite movies. I've seen them already, though. :(

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I'm looking for films that skew religion but not in a cruel way - Sort of something that recognises the flaws of religion but is still able to view it in a good light. I guess Dogma is the best example of the sort of thing I'm looking for. Any ideas?

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Monty Python's The Life of Brian is another great example. It's respectful toward Christ himself, but thoroughly lampoons the way religious symbols, messages, and miracles are manufactured. And then it's still funny as hell.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Jay Dub posted:

Monty Python's The Life of Brian is another great example. It's respectful toward Christ himself, but thoroughly lampoons the way religious symbols, messages, and miracles are manufactured. And then it's still funny as hell.

This is probably the best possible answer, but I'll also add Twist of Faith. It's a documentary and there's nothing funny about it, but it's both critical and supportive of religion.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Jay Dub posted:

Definitely. The incredible irony is that even as a farce it's both more inspiring and arguably true to Jesus' message than most actual serious, pro-religious films about the life of Jesus.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Attorney at Funk posted:

Audition is the perfect movie for this, fits your definition to a T. Don't read anything about it before watching it.

e: There's two Auditions, one is a korean rom-com, that's not the right one. Get the Japanese film, directed by Takashi Miike

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Attorney at Funk posted:

I'm having a hard time thinking of specific examples of what I mean - Audition did the slow burn build up really well

regulargonzalez posted:

Audition is the perfect movie for this, fits your definition to a T. Don't read anything about it before watching it.

e: There's two Auditions, one is a korean rom-com, that's not the right one. Get the Japanese film, directed by Takashi Miike

:allears:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

:allears:

whoops

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

regulargonzalez posted:

Get the Japanese film, directed by Takashi Miike

Miike is really, really good at this. His Masters in Horror piece is profoundly hosed up, but it's not a slow burn.

My all-time favorite for the kind of movie you described is I Stand Alone by Gaspar Noe. Don't read anything about it, or you'll miss all the fun. This movie stayed with me for WEEKS after seeing it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Attorney at Funk posted:

Try David Lynch's Lost Highway and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, although you probably won't appreciate the latter if you haven't watched the entire series. However, the series has quite a bit of building creepy weirdness to it too.

Also, David Mamet's House of Games and The Spanish Prisoner aren't creepy, but they sure do build up to big, hosed-up surprises.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, although you probably won't appreciate the latter if you haven't watched the entire series. However, the series has quite a bit of building creepy weirdness to it too.

Yeah, honestly, watch Twin Peaks (the show). I'm guessing you'll like it a lot based on your description. It's basically like one really long movie.

MonkeeKong
May 17, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Attorney at Funk posted:

Don't Look Now and Repulsion are two classics with really hosed up atmosphere. Don't read anything about them before you see them, though.

Also, seconding Twin Peaks and Lost Highway and would like to add Mulholland Dr..

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Seconding Repulsion, that movie freaked me out. I was surprised that I found it as creepy as I did, it really got to me. One of the best thrillers I've ever seen.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

The Japanese film Kairo (aka Pulse) did this pretty well too. It wasn't what I was expecting from the film but definitely made me think.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

MonkeeKong posted:

Don't Look Now and Repulsion are two classics with really hosed up atmosphere. Don't read anything about them before you see them, though.

Watching both of these films in one night may cause actual mental trauma. They're both incredible too. This is a spot on recommendation.Repulsion was recently released on Blu-Ray too, and the crispness of this version seems to add even more to it.

To add another few recommendations -

Michael Haneke's Caché might fit the bill, as it does a sort of creepy slow burn. An even closer fit would be a film that Haneke wrote but didn't direct called The Moor's Head, which I believe might be exactly what you're looking for. The first couple of acts are really slow, to the point that it loses some people, but by the end it's a really disturbing and tragic story (some of the scenes will be burned into your mind forever I bet). The problem with this film is that it's rather hard to actually find.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Thanks for all the recommendations! I watched Repulsion and I Stand Alone last night and loved them both to death.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Attorney at Funk posted:

Try the original Japanese version of Ring, the whole "something wrong" thing is spelled out for you early on but it's still amazing at building up the tension. There's also an anime (adapted from a light novel I think) called Perfect Blue which is really creepy too and really focuses on the main character's life goes into a total nosedive.

Nichololas
Mar 20, 2005
O=(-_-Q) RAH
Can anyone recommend me movies that deal with memory and "sense of self", like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Memento, Dollhouse the tv series (it's not great but it does explore the idea of copying/implanting/replacing memories pretty thoroughly).

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Nichololas posted:

Can anyone recommend me movies that deal with memory and "sense of self", like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Memento, Dollhouse the tv series (it's not great but it does explore the idea of copying/implanting/replacing memories pretty thoroughly).

Man Without a Past is a dry comedy about amnesia. Hilarious and touching movie.

Unknown White Male is a serious documentary about the same subject, but there has been some discrepancy on it, with many claiming it to be a hoax.

Lost the TV series deals with memory pretty heavily throughout the entire series, with back stories shaping characters in the present, as well as revealing motives.

Spider is a Cronenberg movie about a psychotic haunted by his past and slowly remembering details from his childhood.

Nichololas
Mar 20, 2005
O=(-_-Q) RAH
As a Cronenberg fan, Spider sounds awesome, thanks!

I'll see if I can find that and Man Without a Past then.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Seconding Man Without a Past. I love how it handles amnesia in a very matter-of-fact manner.

Alain Resnais deals with memory frequently in his work. Most notably (and effectively) in Last Year at Marienbad, but also in Je T'aime Je T'aime, Muriel, Hiroshima Mon Amour, and Providence.

Some others worth checking out:
After Life
Distant Voices, Still Lives
La Jetee
Solaris
(both versions)
The Mirror
Synecdoche, New York
Johnny Got His Gun
3 Women

howthedevil
Nov 3, 2002

by Fistgrrl

MonkeeKong posted:

Don't Look Now

Yep, this perfectly fits the description. It's the very definition of a "thumbscrews slooooooowly tightening" film and is deeply unsettling because of it. I'd heard great things about it for years and years before I ever got round to watching it and it didn't disappoint.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Nichololas posted:

You might want to check out Moon, although memory is really only a part of it in that film. It does deal very much with "sense of self" though.

Gumball Dad
Apr 9, 2007

Wanna meet that dad
Can anyone recommend me some "way out of the ordinary" kind of scifi ala Videodrome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashlampjaw
Aug 16, 2008
Can someone recommended me some good Christmas movies?

• Locked thread