Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Attorney at Funk posted:

I'm looking for movies that gradually build a really creepy atmosphere/setting/characters. Movies that drop scattered hints that Something Is Not Quite Right that grow more frequent that leaves the realization of the full scope of how hosed up it is until the end of the film or even until reflection upon the film afterwards. Can someone help me out?

I'm having a hard time thinking of specific examples of what I mean - Audition did the slow burn build up really well and Dark City (the director's cut at least with the awful expository monologue cut out) was good at letting you know things were weird without telling you precisely how. Am I describing what I mean properly?

Try the original Japanese version of Ring, the whole "something wrong" thing is spelled out for you early on but it's still amazing at building up the tension. There's also an anime (adapted from a light novel I think) called Perfect Blue which is really creepy too and really focuses on the main character's life goes into a total nosedive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread