Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SlipUp posted:

plucky little israel is a narrative crafted to lend divine inspiration to the state of israel and therefore justify its continued existence (as an apartheid state rather than a democratic one) in the face of increasingly imperialistic aims

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamnotcreative
Jul 28, 2002
What, you expected something creative here?

gatesealer posted:

e: something off topic a bit, do people just not know what freedom of speech actually is, or are they just willfully ignorant?

I think most people really don't know. Their basic understanding seems to be "I can say whatever I want" without realizing the other half is "without the government censoring me". Thus all the screaming you got when a bunch of companies stopped advertising on Rush's show

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

iamnotcreative posted:

I think most people really don't know. Their basic understanding seems to be "I can say whatever I want" without realizing the other half is "without the government censoring me". Thus all the screaming you got when a bunch of companies stopped advertising on Rush's show

No, they believe the other half is "And no one can tell me I'm wrong".

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ArchangeI posted:

No, they believe the other half is "And no one can tell me I'm wrong".
But God was busy so He sent me to shut you up

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

I've posted about the common core before on here, but since there's more discussion, I'll mention my thoughts again. As far as the standards go, they seem to be pretty good, my issue is where they came from. Pearson (A 6 billion dollar corporation),started a non-profit organization to create the federal standards, then Pearson the for-profit company created a poo poo ton of the teaching materials and also many states standardized tests to assess the standards they created. Seems like crony capitalism to me.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Don't a lot of devout Muslims invoke God in a shitton of sentences that a westerner never would? So a sentence like that could sound absurd translated, but if you appreciate the more idiomatic meaning, which is just kind of a general regular affirmation of God's existence and power, it could be pretty normal battlefield chatter.

In fact, I would guess the intended meaning was little different from "God drat it, they shot down our rocket."

It could also very easily be stdh.txt

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

Don't a lot of devout Muslims invoke God in a shitton of sentences that a westerner never would? So a sentence like that could sound absurd translated, but if you appreciate the more idiomatic meaning, which is just kind of a general regular affirmation of God's existence and power, it could be pretty normal battlefield chatter.
One of my favorite idiomatic differences is "Death to [X]," which sounds bad but in reality is used a billion times a day in Muslim cultures, to the point where cabbies will yell "Death to Traffic Lights!" when they catch a red.

It doesn't mean anything stronger than "I don't like thing," so "Death to America" is not really a threat.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Everblight posted:

One of my favorite idiomatic differences is "Death to [X]," which sounds bad but in reality is used a billion times a day in Muslim cultures, to the point where cabbies will yell "Death to Traffic Lights!" when they catch a red.

It doesn't mean anything stronger than "I don't like thing," so "Death to America" is not really a threat.

Wait seriously? That's actually hilarious.

Death to traffic lights indeed, my friends.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Everblight posted:

Now this is an interesting idea; do you suppose that non-anglophones unfamiliar with North American culture interpret us saying "gently caress [x]" as "I want to rape [x]"?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mellow Seas posted:

In fact, I would guess the intended meaning was little different from "God drat it, they shot down our rocket."

I think you want to take more attention to Their God. It's trying to put up this whole thing about the Muslim God and Judaic (And Christian of course!) God as two separate entities.

Everblight posted:

Do you have a source on this?

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Everblight posted:

What is the Arabic itself? I'm curious.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Mellow Seas posted:

Muslim soccer fans will say 'God is great!' after their team scores a goal; it's kind of just a general exclamation.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

Muslim soccer fans will say 'God is great!' after their team scores a goal; it's kind of just a general exclamation.

Sounds like a western equivalent (although a little outdated now) would be 'God be praised!' when something good happens.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Magres posted:

Sounds like a western equivalent (although a little outdated now) would be 'God be praised!' when something good happens.

Combine all these idioms:
Jesus Christ!
God Dammit!
Holy poo poo!
Oh my God!
Thank God!
Oh God!

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Jesus Christ!
God Dammit!
Holy poo poo!
Oh my God!
Thank God!
Oh God!

Yeah but when it's said by brown Muslim THOSE people it's scary and ominous

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I've always operated on the idea that Arabic is a highly flowery and poetic language, and cultures which speak Arabic tend to place higher emphasis on rhetoric, so you often get literal translations of passionate denunciations in the vein of "We beseech God to rain down upon you with the furious justice of a thousand avenging angels" when the functional meaning is "We disapprove of X and call upon Y to knock it off."

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Jesus Christ!
God Dammit!
Holy poo poo!
Oh my God!
Thank God!
Oh God!

Yeah, 'allahu akbar' is a pretty handy catch-all exclamation/mild profanity depending on context.

This discussion reminds me of Nikita Khrushchev supposedly saying 'we will bury them' in reference to the US and people taking it as a threat. He actually said something translated more accurately as 'we will be present when they are buried', a Russian idiom basically meaning 'we will outlast them', which is much less directly threatening.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Yeah, I've always operated on the idea that Arabic is a highly flowery and poetic language, and cultures which speak Arabic tend to place higher emphasis on rhetoric, so you often get literal translations of passionate denunciations in the vein of "We beseech God to rain down upon you with the furious justice of a thousand avenging angels" when the functional meaning is "We disapprove of X and call upon Y to knock it off."

A lot of things just sound weird translated or explained out of their lane. Hearing almost any political song explained in prose sounds goofy "this Albanian song criticizes dictator Enver Hoxha for this demanding military conscription policies". But songs in English against the Vietnam war sound totally cogent, poetically flowing, etc. because they rhyme and we know the context.

I realized at one point that I had no room to roll my eyes at stuff like pre-2003 Iraqi soldiers in the media chanting things like "O Saddam we shall pour out our blood/ for you and the two rivers!", given that my own branch had chants like "I will give my life for the Corps/ I'm cocked-and-locked and ready for war."

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Alien Arcana posted:

What is the Arabic itself? I'm curious.

I don't know the Arabic but the famous "Death to America" chant that's often used in Iran is "Marg bar America/Amrika" in Farsi which as described above, does not infer absolute destruction or overt violence. For instance it's often translated by sane people as "down with America" or even "America sucks" by younger commentators.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

Some local stuff from the Toronto LJ community. It generally only sees 1-2 posts a week, usually about finding a decent bicycle shop or ferry schedules.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I had no idea the JDL still existed. Doesn't the FBI consider them a terrorist organization?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Mister Bates posted:

Yeah, 'allahu akbar' is a pretty handy catch-all exclamation/mild profanity depending on context.

This discussion reminds me of Nikita Khrushchev supposedly saying 'we will bury them' in reference to the US and people taking it as a threat. He actually said something translated more accurately as 'we will be present when they are buried', a Russian idiom basically meaning 'we will outlast them', which is much less directly threatening.

That, in turn, reminds me of an anecdote of him meeting up with Mao at some point to try solidifying the USSR's ties with China, and he called Mao something to the effect of "he's like a worn-out shoe". As it turned out, the word/phrase he used could also mean "used-up whore" when translated into Chinese, which was a factor for the rift that developed between them. :v:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think you want to take more attention to Their God. It's trying to put up this whole thing about the Muslim God and Judaic (And Christian of course!) God as two separate entities.

Do you have a source on this?
There was a This American Life a while ago where they interviewed a Farsi guy living in Chicago about language and he talked about "Death to [X]."

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Regalingualius posted:

That, in turn, reminds me of an anecdote of him meeting up with Mao at some point to try solidifying the USSR's ties with China, and he called Mao something to the effect of "he's like a worn-out shoe". As it turned out, the word/phrase he used could also mean "used-up whore" when translated into Chinese, which was a factor for the rift that developed between them. :v:

This is pretty anecdotal. I've heard it before but have never read about it in anything official.

Sir Rolo posted:

Some local stuff from the Toronto LJ community. It generally only sees 1-2 posts a week, usually about finding a decent bicycle shop or ferry schedules.

And of course that guy is lying out of his rear end.

I dunno who it was, whether Israeli or just a US Rightie, but someone was on NPR last night blabbing about how Israel ended the settlements years ago and Hamas keeps fighting blah blah blah.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

And of course that guy is lying out of his rear end.

I dunno who it was, whether Israeli or just a US Rightie, but someone was on NPR last night blabbing about how Israel ended the settlements years ago and Hamas keeps fighting blah blah blah.

It is true that there are no more settlements in the Gaza strip. But that's not the point of contention now; instead, it's the Israeli/US refusal to accept the 2006 elections favoring Hamas, the US-backed coup attempt in Gaza, and the subsequent intensification of the siege of the Strip.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It is true that there are no more settlements in the Gaza strip. But that's not the point of contention now; instead, it's the Israeli/US refusal to accept the 2006 elections favoring Hamas, the US-backed coup attempt in Gaza, and the subsequent intensification of the siege of the Strip.

quote:

JERUSALEM — Israel says it is moving ahead with the planning and construction of hundreds of Jewish settlement homes as retaliation against the new Palestinian government, which has been accepted by the United States and much of the world even though it is supported by Hamas. The announcement enraged the Palestinians and flouted international opinion.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/06/world/middleeast/new-israeli-settlement-plans-draw-swift-condemnation.html

quote:

Hours before Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was set to meet President Barack Obama on Monday, Israel’s Central Bureau of Statistics revealed that Israel began construction on twice as many homes in the West Bank in 2013 than in the previous year.

http://time.com/11458/israel-doubled-west-bank-settlement-construction-in-2013/

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Gaza != West Bank. Just like he said, there are no more settlements in Gaza. Those new settlements are in the West Bank.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

Pope Guilty posted:

I had no idea the JDL still existed. Doesn't the FBI consider them a terrorist organization?

Looks like it does: http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-files/groups/jewish-defense-league

quote:

The FBI deemed the league a right-wing terrorist group in their report "Terrorism 2000/2001."

El Anansi
Jan 27, 2008

Everblight posted:

Another case is the infamous Ahmadinejad bit that is inevitably rendered "we will wipe Israel off the map", when in actuality he was paraphrasing something Khomenei once said of the Soviet Union which translates to "the occupation regime in Israel must vanish from the page of time", using mahv shavad which is intransitive, but of course the mistranslation was beset by fuckery in the most egregious way.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
Please enjoy some poo poo from Mike Huckabee's Facebook page:

quote:

I’ve been asked several times what is the Christian thing to do about the tens of thousands of unaccompanied children who have fled to the United States illegally. Let’s be clear—there is a Christian thing and there’s a government thing. I find it interesting that the same people who scream for separation of church and state now want the government to act like a church and provide assistance and benevolence. Helping the poor and aiding the homeless and the helpless is indeed the duty of the church. But the duty of the government is to protect us—not provide for us. If the border agents are playing wet nurse and changing diapers and beds, then we aren’t protected very well. Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar’s and unto God the things that are God’s. If Christians would give a dime of each dollar in tithes to fund assistance to the needy, the government wouldn’t need to be a big charity.

Government isn’t supposed to rearrange people’s social standing and redistribute income. Instead of straining social service budgets and education budgets and court budgets in the US, it would be better if our government acted competently and did its Constitutional job to secure our borders. The churches, charities and relief organizations could deliver supplies to those in need around the world. We should be interested in helping the people of other nations experience the fruits of freedom and free enterprise. If they wish to come to America, we should welcome them when they come through the same legal process that we would have to go through to go to their countries. But to not have a border is to not have a brain. We can love people and love security at the same time. But if you give up security, you really don’t love the people very much either.

I bolded my favorite part, but I'm also a big fan of the bit where he thinks that we should just be able to rely on charity from people, many of whom have spent weeks now being whipped up into a frenzy regarding refugees/migrants.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I want a theocracy, but only when it's convenient for me and people I like! :byodame:

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Ansiktsburk posted:

Please enjoy some poo poo from Mike Huckabee's Facebook page:

I bolded my favorite part, but I'm also a big fan of the bit where he thinks that we should just be able to rely on charity from people, many of whom have spent weeks now being whipped up into a frenzy regarding refugees/migrants.

no mike, we just want some consistency.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My sister liked that comment (she has went tea party political since the election campaign of 2012). The thing that stood out to me is his thought that government (in our case the people the government represents) cannot be moral without some Christianity.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My sister liked that comment (she has went tea party political since the election campaign of 2012). The thing that stood out to me is his thought that government (in our case the people the government represents) cannot be moral without some Christianity.

It comes up all the time. "Where do you get your morality?" and variants is one of the most common questions religious people ask atheists. It's kind of offensive, as if not believing in God precludes any sort of ethically positive behavior.

I learn what's right from people who do good things, who help other people.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
To a certain degree, as long as you don't have a rare mental disorder and weren't hosed up by trauma or abuse as a kid, helping people straight up makes you feel good. Like, it's part of how we work as a highly social species.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

razorrozar posted:

It comes up all the time. "Where do you get your morality?" and variants is one of the most common questions religious people ask atheists.

"Somewhere uninfluenced by the vague promise of extrinsic reward or retribution. Why? Where does yours come from?"

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Plom Bar posted:

"Somewhere uninfluenced by the vague promise of extrinsic reward or retribution. Why? Where does yours come from?"

Precisely my frustration with it. How horrible are you, otherwise, that without the fear of God and eternal damnation that you would become a roaring psychopath? That were it not for a fear based system of rules you would sooner kill everyone than act with some decency?

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

19 o'clock posted:

Precisely my frustration with it. How horrible are you, otherwise, that without the fear of God and eternal damnation that you would become a roaring psychopath? That were it not for a fear based system of rules you would sooner kill everyone than act with some decency?

the scary thing? Some of them admit that the fear of god is the only thing keeping them from doing that.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

gatesealer posted:

the scary thing? Some of them admit that the fear of god is the only thing keeping them from doing that.

It blows my loving mind every time and kinda scares me. "But for the grace of God am I acting even mildly polite."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My morality comes from the (Christian) message of Bill & Ted and their utopian future

'Be Excellent To Each Other'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_yJFLvmjJY