Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
God why don't poor people just get jobs. It's easy, just use the internet connection 57 percent of you don't have!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Is it even possible to get a job without a computer these days?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Or drive around town handing in job applications, in the car 25% of them don't have.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Fulchrum posted:

Is it even possible to get a job without a computer these days?

Working minimum wage for some small businessman luddite, perhaps.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

A microwave is like $40, why aren't these so-called poors pawning them and using the vast riches acquired thereby to pay for their children's health care instead of mooching off the government?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Also those cars are awesome cars. They're reliable cars, not a 1995 Pontiac Rolling Liability GT.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Half of poor households have access to a 13 year old videogame console you can get for $5 from goodwill? Lucky Ducks!

Isn't there an old fox news screen cap about "poor people" having refrigerators?

Of course not everyone can live so high on the hog these days.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

borkencode posted:

I looked at that link and literally thought it was from The Onion.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

borkencode posted:

Half of poor households have access to a 13 year old videogame console you can get for $5 from goodwill? Lucky Ducks!

Isn't there an old fox news screen cap about "poor people" having refrigerators?

Forgoing ALL of those appliances would pay for between one and two months rent.

edit: Jesus gently caress, assholes are STILL churning out that poo poo? I was expecting that old one with the worried looking rich families, or that other one that got attention a few years back, and here you've got one from THIS MONTH.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 16, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

borkencode posted:

I stopped listening at groceries for four people as $575 per week. The five people in my house maybe barely spend that in a month and we eat well.

Fake edit: Oh my God, I decided to soldier on to see if they included eating out on top of that in discretionary expenses (they do), and got to two vacations at $25,000/yr. And a new $60,000 car every four years.

The rich just can't make ends meet from taxes :qq: But if you're poor and you buy your kid a discounted old video game system for $20, then gently caress you, no wonder you're poor when you mismanage your money like that!

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So I guess the truth really was somewhere in the middle! :haw:

A guy living out of a borrowed truck while in San Diego getting mental health treatment took the wrong freeway onramp that took him directly to Mexico. He had all of his worldly possessions in the truck, including his rifle, pistol, and shotgun. When he got to the border station, he told the Mexican agents about the guns and asked to just make a U-turn. Contrast that with this:

Berke Negri posted:

Is that the guy who 'accidentally' drove into Mexico with a truck full of M16s?

The implication of the above sentence is that the guy was clearly involved in some kind of gun-running operation, and that is nowhere near the truth. This whole thread is devoted to debunking people that try to manipulate reality in this way to make "their side" look right, and it's rather depressing to see people defending the exact same poo poo just because it opposes some dumb conservative outrage.

The guy is a lovely driver; he missed a very big sign saying "Mexico only." There's no evidence at all he did it intentionally.

The only reason anyone here thinks he should get more than a slap on the wrist (maybe permanently barred from Mexico) is because he's for some reason become a martyr to crazy pro-gun conservatives (the same ones oddly silent about black men getting shot for trying to buy toy guns). Just because some douchebags hold someone in high regard does not automatically make it non-douchey to poo poo on that person.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

This stuff exposes an amazing bit of double-speak. They simultaneously claim that the War on Poverty was a failure while complaining about poor people living high on the hog.

The only way to square this circle is that they must be saying that poor people shouldn't even have these things, most of which are necessities, that they're making infographics about.

It's also likely that nearly all of those "luxury items" they acquired were over a number of years, and so form a negligible percentage of their budget when spread out over the time period they were purchased in.

People don't really understand the budgets of poor people because they're fundamentally different from the budgets of people who can make ends meet. Food/rent makes up a less significant portion of their budget so they assume that ratio is the same for all people instead of realizing that the food/rent for poor people is nearly their entire budget, and for a lot of people who are skipping meals due to not having enough money... more than 100% of their budget.

The luxury items in question probably came from times when they got small sums of money from tax refunds, came with their apartment, or we're received for free from somewhere. The microwave one is especially mind-boggling.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 16, 2014

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
75% having a car reminded me of this:
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12242008

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

borkencode posted:

No way. No loving way. A new $60k car every four years and $25k on vacations yearly and a million dollar house for a family of four, practically broke.

I lack words to describe how out of touch that video is with being broke.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Mo_Steel posted:

No way. No loving way. A new $60k car every four years and $25k on vacations yearly and a million dollar house for a family of four, practically broke.

I lack words to describe how out of touch that video is with being broke.

Check your privilege. You have the privilege of not being rich enough to know what it's like to feel "nearly broke" after spending the $30,000 you're making every month. Walk a mile in those loafers, chief.

They feel broke, and it's rude to discount their feelings. Everybody's feelings are important! Isn't that what being liberal is about?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
400,000 is not a lot of money after you spend it all.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
That green chart also leaves out he costs of food, education, and housing, a.k.a. the things that actually matter to upward mobility and which haven't gotten vastly cheaper in recent years, unlike a lot of high-tech toys (many of which are more like "essentials"). It shouldn't be shocking that a lot of poor people have cell phones because it's 2014 and not 1986, and even a smartphone can be pretty cheap if you don't insist on a bleeding edge model.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Guilty Spork posted:

That green chart also leaves out he costs of food, education, and housing, a.k.a. the things that actually matter to upward mobility and which haven't gotten vastly cheaper in recent years, unlike a lot of high-tech toys (many of which are more like "essentials"). It shouldn't be shocking that a lot of poor people have cell phones because it's 2014 and not 1986, and even a smartphone can be pretty cheap if you don't insist on a bleeding edge model.

It's also an especially good value if you don't already have a computer or access to the internet.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Look at how the new money spends from their principal :stare:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

ErIog posted:

It's also an especially good value if you don't already have a computer or access to the internet.

Plus if your living situation is volatile, and you might be homeless for periods of time, a phone you can take with you is key. Kinda hard to get employed if you dont have a contact number that you can reliably reach.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Plus if your living situation is volatile, and you might be homeless for periods of time, a phone you can take with you is key. Kinda hard to get employed if you dont have a contact number that you can reliably reach.

Kinda hard to stay employed when your schedule isn't ever known more than a day in advance and you don't have a contact number that you can reliably reach.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The source for stats in the green infographic is the Heritage Foundation, so those numbers are likely suspect on top of the general problems with the argument. I'd dig up and post a link to the report for folks to defenestrate, but I don't have the time atm.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If I had to make a list of the wisest investments a person in poverty could make I'd definitely include the following in my top 10:

Car for each working family member

Internet access, possibly free.

Personal Computer, a cheap laptop is about $200-300

Smart Phone, cellphones lose a poo poo ton of value once they're a generation or two old.

A television, Good luck finding one that's not a wide screen plasma or LCD, they run about $100 new, much less for a used

Refrigerator

Microwave, These two are usually included with any apartment. If not, goodwill has microwaves for ultra low prices.

In any case, a lack of a microwave or refrigerator would make for a strong case to CPS to lose your kids.

I don't know how much TIVO costs, I'm guessing cheap used. I've noticed they stop mentioning hot tubs. I guess that number's gone down quite a bit in the last ten years as they start to fall apart.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

I also like how, in this digital age, where job searching often is web-based, where DSL is fast becoming the minimum to navigate the internet with ease, they take only 43% of people in poverty having internet access as some sort of outlandish luxury.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

borkencode posted:

I wonder what would happen if the people who made these things ever tried playing Cart Life.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ErIog posted:

This stuff exposes an amazing bit of double-speak. They simultaneously claim that the War on Poverty was a failure while complaining about poor people living high on the hog.

The only way to square this circle is that they must be saying that poor people shouldn't even have these things, most of which are necessities, that they're making infographics about.

It's also likely that nearly all of those "luxury items" they acquired were over a number of years, and so form a negligible percentage of their budget when spread out over the time period they were purchased in.

People don't really understand the budgets of poor people because they're fundamentally different from the budgets of people who can make ends meet. Food/rent makes up a less significant portion of their budget so they assume that ratio is the same for all people instead of realizing that the food/rent for poor people is nearly their entire budget, and for a lot of people who are skipping meals due to not having enough money... more than 100% of their budget.

The luxury items in question probably came from times when they got small sums of money from tax refunds, came with their apartment, or we're received for free from somewhere. The microwave one is especially mind-boggling.

Poor people just spring up like weeds already mooching off of the system with their cell phones and washing machines while crying about how hard it is to make ends meet. Maybe if you didn't spend all of your money on that iPhone you'd have a house still!

Completely ignoring that living situations can change and it's perfectly feasible that you could go from lower middle class to just barely floating above homelessness.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

In any case, a lack of a microwave or refrigerator would make for a strong case to CPS to lose your kids.

If CPS is taking your kids, it means you could afford the luxury of not selling one or two of those kids into slavery to feed the rest, so are you really poor?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

borkencode posted:

http://www.torontolife.com/informer/features/2012/02/15/almost-rich/

quote:

However, the threshold for the top one per cent of income earners is much lower than you’d expect: $196,000, in the latest Statistics Canada numbers. That’s no small amount of money, but hardly the means for a life of leisure. In an increasingly pricy city like Toronto, where we pay a premium for everything from milk to car insurance, $196,000 can seem positively middle-class.

quote:

Monthly expenses
Groceries: $1,000. (“We like Whole Foods and try to eat organic as much as we can. We love the new Leslieville store Hooked for fish. For everything else, Loblaws.”)... Wine: $400–$500. (“We try to get the better $11 bottles, but they go fast.”) Eating out: $400
:suicide:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
$400 a month on $11 bottles of wine. They drink a bottle of wine every day.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I literally can't comprehend what I would do with 36000 dollars a month.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Mr E posted:

I'd probably end up sitting on a lot of it because I can't even think of all the things I'd buy. Like there's so many options.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

Anything to keep the ennui at bay.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mr E posted:

Pay off bills, get the windows tinted, upgrade appliances, grocery shopping, go see movies, buy some books.

And then afterwards we'd still probably have 32,000 dollars left.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mr E posted:

Wine. All the wine.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Personally though, most of that would go to philanthropy because I can live off beans and corn tortillas. Know a lot of people and places that could use a hand.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

Being functioning alcoholics may explain their poor judgment and money management skills.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Mr E posted:

I live in a house of 6 people and all together we probably make about 1/8th of that.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

borkencode posted:

hahaha I said "gently caress you" to basically every single item in this video. I make okay money now but there were multiple expense items on that stupid list that were more than I made in a whole year at times in the past. I cannot wait until the rich are all guillotined.

However, speaking of doing okay, I remember with great clarity the first time I ordered a microwave on Amazon for $50... I knew I had finally arrived on the scene. I felt like a billionaire, finally able to make cup noodles for dinner, instead of just for lunch in the work kitchen.

e: I am a literal alcoholic and do not spend $400 a month on booze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Swan Oat posted:

e: I am a literal alcoholic and do not spend $400 a month on booze.

You're not an alcoholic, you're a drunk. Only rich people can medicalise substance abuse.