Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

darthbob88 posted:

Precisely. Women are underpaid by only 5 cents per dollar, as opposed to the common statistic of 23 cents per dollar. Or, to use John Oliver's metaphor, employers collectively are taking a smaller poo poo on women's desks than statistics suggest.

ETA: Although I really am curious whether that is more because women get underpaid, or because jobs women do get undervalued.

Once again, the 95 cent statistic applies only to women who do not marry and of a certain age. It is not accurate. And it is still poo poo. Additionally it is pay for equal work so it does not matter if they choose jobs that are undervalued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Even if the 95 cents stat was true it would still be bad.

But even worse is that there still is very much a glass ceiling effect. There are many positions where you will find little-to-no women working in because of *reasons*.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Axetrain posted:

"One infamous study" (which I won't bother to provide)

Not only will I not provide it, I will say that even though it opposes my argument, it is in fact incorrect, without providing any proof whatsoever.

*waves hands*

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

VitalSigns posted:

I think Milton Friedman is commenting on my Facebook

I might be misreading this, but did he just imply the meatpacking industry behaved the way it did because its workers were getting paid a lot?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Taerkar posted:

Even if the 95 cents stat was true it would still be bad.

But even worse is that there still is very much a glass ceiling effect. There are many positions where you will find little-to-no women working in because of *reasons*.

Even in their best-case, trusting every biased source, skewing everything to their favor study, things are still not equal. That's pretty telling.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Surely you've seen the musical Hair!

e: beaten like an abused child in a flower people commune. :smith:

That's the one where Meat Loaf crashes his motorcycle off a cliff, right?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Luigi Thirty posted:

Let's do the Aquarius Warp again!

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Luigi Thirty posted:

No you idiot, its the one about the fat girl who dismantles systemic racism through dance.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

jpgartifacts.jpg

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
People need to make their fake numbers somewhat plausible. 84 members of Congress have been been caught drunk driving in the last year alone?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
arrested!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I just don't get this. Does he want Texas to vote itself out of the union, taking one of the (currently) strongest and most valuable red states out of the national equation? Or does he want Texas to remove itself before it turns purple/blue and they start losing the Republican points it gives in the electoral college and house? Does he actually think that Texans don't hear the crazies screeching regularly about how we could secede?

Seriously, if there's one thing Texans know of, and are inordinately proud of, it's that we were once our own nation before we joined the Union, and you hear someone in a serious of power screech about "Secession!" every 3-4 months to rile up the crazy vote.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Alkydere posted:

I just don't get this. Does he want Texas to vote itself out of the union, taking one of the (currently) strongest and most valuable red states out of the national equation? Or does he want Texas to remove itself before it turns purple/blue and they start losing the Republican points it gives in the electoral college and house? Does he actually think that Texans don't hear the crazies screeching regularly about how we could secede?

Seriously, if there's one thing Texans know of, and are inordinately proud of, it's that we were once our own nation before we joined the Union, and you hear someone in a serious of power screech about "Secession!" every 3-4 months to rile up the crazy vote.

It would be a strategic move by the Republican party...vote Texas out while it's red, so that it's not a factor when it goes blue.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
No, you can't do that, you idiot baby. The United Kingdom is a different country and their laws on secession have no bearing on the United States.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Edible Hat posted:

People need to make their fake numbers somewhat plausible. 84 members of Congress have been been caught drunk driving in the last year alone?

I'm thinking this is referring to the sum total across US history.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 21, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Edible Hat posted:

No, you can't do that, you idiot baby. The United Kingdom is a different country and their laws on secession have no bearing on the United States.

Well, duh. Besides, Texas had to sign a "We're sorry, we won't secede again." deal after the civil war. Though the courts can always declare that null and void.

Of course such a vote would still fail miserably since we like being one of the richer states in the union thanks to all of our oil yet able to suck off of the federal teat.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Just posting again to say I really loathe that confused baby picture.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

I'm thinking this is referring to the sum total across US history.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/crime/congress.asp

etc.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Luigi Thirty posted:

I read something about Germany having a counterculture movement in the 60s that embraced pedophilia under the guise of sexual liberation, but I think it was in Der Spiegel so who knows.
There were a few sexual revolution countercultures that embraced pedophilia, like PIE and the aforementioned NAMBLA affiliates, but I don't think that would have any bearing on college campus sex either way. It looks like IowaHawk or whoever is saying that college campus sex went from being awesome to being banned because of the feminists and their 'they're making us ask consent now, bloo bloo all real conservatives should long for the college of the 70s', but because the graphic just show it as 'banned' in 1915 and 2015 I can see a lot of traditional conservatives just thinking "good, kids shouldn't be having the premaritals anyway".

LiberalLogic macro is ambiguous and bad.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.
Got this gem from my dad. Finally someone filling the niche of conservative comedy, but of course it ends up being mostly propaganda and a couple really unfunny quips!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tvpaD4oatk

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Alkydere posted:

The state of Scotland is really leading the way for the rest of us here in the United Kingdoms of America.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The state of Scotland is really leading the way for the rest of us here in the United Kingdoms of America.

As far as I can tell it's literally "A thing happened so now I have to make an equivalency that makes no actual sense", mixed with a dash of "The Republicans are the REAL silent majority so we should all go to Texas and secede and leave the rest of the US to rot!" if there was actually any thought put in.

I have no idea why it frustrates me so much. Maybe it's the way he keeps ruining baby pictures to make these stupid comments.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

RadicalWall posted:

Got this gem from my dad. Finally someone filling the niche of conservative comedy, but of course it ends up being mostly propaganda and a couple really unfunny quips!

That's expensive production for somebody with no talent, is he under Beck?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

RadicalWall posted:

I love that the audience is all old white people.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Thanatosian posted:

I love that the audience is all old white people.

I think I saw a daughter who'd been dragged along.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

RadicalWall posted:

I've always found this particular "logic" annoying, that global warming only exists cause money to scientists. Because Exxon has no money. None. And no interest in keeping people in doubt that extra CO2 in the air might do anything.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
And the money those scientists get from the government would all disappear instantly otherwise. Nobody would ever pay scientists if there wasn't a threat looming.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Fulchrum posted:

And the money those scientists get from the government would all disappear instantly otherwise. Nobody would ever pay scientists if there wasn't a threat looming.

The number of people who assume that 'science' is some kind of organized belief system rather than a collection of observations about things that happen is pretty staggering and I suspect leads to most of the more absurd 'anti-science' nonsense.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Alkydere posted:

As far as I can tell it's literally "A thing happened so now I have to make an equivalency that makes no actual sense", mixed with a dash of "The Republicans are the REAL silent majority so we should all go to Texas and secede and leave the rest of the US to rot!" if there was actually any thought put in.

I have no idea why it frustrates me so much. Maybe it's the way he keeps ruining baby pictures to make these stupid comments.

I feel like conservatives have this idea of a universal law, what works in one place is law everywhere. It might be their fixation with the Bible, y'know God's law and all. Just their laws are "Things I like".

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Cpt.Americant posted:

I've always found this particular "logic" annoying, that global warming only exists cause money to scientists. Because Exxon has no money. None. And no interest in keeping people in doubt that extra CO2 in the air might do anything.

and by 90% they really mean more like 97%+

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Amused to Death posted:

and by 90% they really mean more like 97%+

Yes, but those 97% only think Global Warming is real, while the other 3% know that it's a hoax!

This is a real thing someone has said to me to support Global warming denial.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Who What Now posted:

Yes, but those 97% only think Global Warming is real, while the other 3% know that it's a hoax!

This is a real thing someone has said to me to support Global warming denial.

It's technically an accurate statement!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Regarding "The Flipside, with Michael Loftus":

SedanChair posted:

That's expensive production for somebody with no talent, is he under Beck?

Not that I can tell, it's run out of Telco Productions, with no obvious ties elsewhere. The production company itself has run a couple environmentally themed shows, and a large number of children's shows for an FCC criterion structure I'm not familiar with. On the other hand, the founder was executive producer of "What America Thinks with Scott Rasmussen" for a time.

Short answer, after very short investigation, is it looks like a one-off effort not affiliated with any larger right-wing entities.

edit: There's what looks to be a decent article about the show from The Week, here.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 21, 2014

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The phenomenon that I can't believe is that atheism, A-theism, anti-theism, is a religion.

Words don't mean anything?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Dr. Faustus posted:

The phenomenon that I can't believe is that atheism, A-theism, anti-theism, is a religion.

Words don't mean anything?

Buddhism is also considered a religion but doesn't ascribe to a traditionally theistic outlook. Not to say that I think atheism is a religion but the objection raised isn't persuasive on the subject. Most atheists don't congregate in cultural or social places of worship or meditation or follow teachings or scriptures, which is a better argument that atheism is not a religion. Virtually the only thing shared among atheists is a lack of belief in God or gods.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 21, 2014

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What would a genuinely non-religious person look like, in their view?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Mo_Steel posted:

but the objection raised isn't persuasive on the subject
I'm sorry to be so dense, but would you be so kind as to clarify what objection you mean and why isn't it persuasive?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Edible Hat posted:

There's no such thing. Everyone believes in God deep down, but some people hate God and want to sin, so to spite him they become atheists, Buddhists, pagans, Muslims, Catholics, or some other anti-God thing

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

VitalSigns posted:

There's no such thing. Everyone believes in God deep down, but some people hate God and want to sin, so to spite him they become atheists, Buddhists, pagans, Muslims, Catholics, or some other anti-God thing

There are a bunch of "atheists" who are just rebelling; they're the ones who convert back and become "ex-atheists."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Edible Hat posted:

You ever see a Chick tract or a political cartoon where it has a fat, middle-aged, balding hippy standing next to a manish feminist with five-o'clock shadow, a pair of homosexuals in full whips and chains leathers, and a lawyer folding a manilla envelope with 'ACLU' printed on it, and all of them are sneering and radiating stink lines?

That. That's literally what they picture. Not an individual, but that exact group like some sort of freakish set of conjoined quintuplets.