Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Woo! More poo poo:

Alternatively: why can't people tolerate me saying hateful poo poo :qq:

Was... America going away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Dr. Faustus posted:

The phenomenon that I can't believe is that atheism, A-theism, anti-theism, is a religion.

Words don't mean anything?

That's an incorrect etymology, the a- prefix is a seperate prefix from anti-. A- is without, anti- is against or opposed to. So: a- without, theos god, -isma doctrine or set of beliefs. A doctrine of set of beliefs without a god. Your general point is still correct, but anti-theism and atheism are two separate things.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

That's an incorrect etymology, the a- prefix is a seperate prefix from anti-. A- is without, anti- is against or opposed to. So: a- without, theos god, -isma doctrine or set of beliefs. A doctrine of set of beliefs without a god. Your general point is still correct, but anti-theism and atheism are two separate things.

Historically and theoretically, atheism has been defined by a belief that there is no god, or by opposition to a broader theological set of constructs and ideas.

The definition of atheism has become a contested and political thing unto itself in the past couple decades, as the new atheist movement has attempted to argue that atheism contains agnosticism, primarily because it gives a very convenient rhetorical benefit to be able to shift back and forth between agnostic and atheistic claims on the fly. (This is often phrased as "absence of belief, not belief in the absence" in talking points).

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

the new atheist movement

is irrelevant and full of ignorant naifs wallowing in bathos.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I agree that new atheism is pretty terrible, but they've been successful, in part due to their prominent internet presence, in convincing a lot of people that atheism is a form of I'm-just-asking-questions agnosticism. This is frustrating to other theists, atheists and agnostics, because it has the effect of confusing and politicizing the terms of the discussion around religion. This has made it harder for people trying to find common ground in these areas to communicate when there are actual things at stake. In other words, new atheism being new atheism.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
People who do not believe in God don't want to be called atheists because they don't want to associate with those who use that label to identify themselves. I've seen people go to great lengths to explain that they're not an atheist, despite having no belief in any good or religious dogma. I think a lot of that has to do with the stigma of the label. I see it a lot on these boards in particular, mostly as a way to distance ones self from the kind of people who post on r/atheism.

Atheists are also one of those groups that gets called militant without being violent. (See also vegetarians/vegans and feminists.) I've always found that absurd.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Master Twig posted:

People who do not believe in God don't want to be called atheists because they don't want to associate with those who use that label to identify themselves. I've seen people go to great lengths to explain that they're not an atheist, despite having no belief in any good or religious dogma. I think a lot of that has to do with the stigma of the label. I see it a lot on these boards in particular, mostly as a way to distance ones self from the kind of people who post on r/atheism.

Atheists are also one of those groups that gets called militant without being violent. (See also vegetarians/vegans and feminists.) I've always found that absurd.

quote:

mil·i·tant
Combative and aggressive in support of a political or social cause, and typically favoring extreme, violent, or confrontational methods.

So they get called 'militant' if they get combative or aggressive in support of their social cause and tend to favor extreme and confrontational methods. Don't see the issue.

Also isn't that like an ancient internet meme? Like three pictures, one of a dude in a bomb vest called "militant islam" one of an old crusader because that's still a thing called "militant christianity" and one of just like, a harmless white guy drinking coffee called a "militant athiest" or something?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I agree with your general point (a and anti are very different) but I'd break down the word as (without (doctrines and beliefs about gods)) rather than (doctrines and beliefs (without gods)). Atheists in general don't have doctrines and beliefs.

Agnosticism is a stupid attempt either at being less offensive or sounding more intelligent, and it fails at both. "We have no proof either way so I won't take a stance" is ludicrous because you'll never have proof of absence. The default rational view of things is that they don't exist unless there is some evidence to the contrary: if I tell you there exist unicorns with elephant trunks, you aren't going to shrug and say "I have no proof either way, so I can't know," you're going to say "there is absolutely no evidence that unicorniphants exist so until you actually present some I'm going to assume your wild claim is bullshit."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Master Twig posted:

"militancy" often is used to signify the invocation of violence in rhetoric. The idea of "militant atheists" is also largely a byproduct of the publicity of the new atheist movement, which has defined itself oppositionally in ways other forms of atheism haven't. In some respects, it's helpful to understand that the new atheist movement has most of its origins, and a great deal of its support base, in the UK, where historical factors have made the movement simultaneously theoretical and political.

Militancy claims regarding vegetarianism/veganism may partially stem from overlap with the animal rights movement, which does have an ongoing and active militant/violent fringe, at least in the US.

Choadmaster posted:

Agnosticism is a stupid attempt either at being less offensive or sounding more intelligent, and it fails at both. "We have no proof either way so I won't take a stance" is ludicrous because you'll never have proof of absence. The default rational view of things is that they don't exist unless there is some evidence to the contrary: if I tell you there exist unicorns with elephant trunks, you aren't going to shrug and say "I have no proof either way, so I can't know," you're going to say "there is absolutely no evidence that unicorniphants exist so until you actually present some I'm going to assume your wild claim is bullshit."

It's a separate set of theological and philosophical viewpoints with historical roots that go back, at least in Europe, about 250 years. I'd recommend looking into it before summarizing it this way.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So they get called 'militant' if they get combative or aggressive in support of their social cause and tend to favor extreme and confrontational methods. Don't see the issue.

Atheists aren't combative or aggressive in America. They just appear that way to a certain type of Christian who is used to getting to control everyone's lives and is now butthurt they can't impose their religion on everyone all the time anymore.

Militant atheism was a thing in Revolutionary France or the Soviet Union though, when Christians were targeted for their beliefs, so it definitely does exist.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 21, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I know a guy from Canberra who is agnostic, but whinges about how bad Christians have it in Australia. Don't they have Christian chaplains in public schools or something like that?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Which ones are those?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

VitalSigns posted:

Atheists aren't combative or aggressive in America. They just appear that way to a certain type of Christian who is used to getting to control everyone's lives and is now butthurt they can't impose their religion on everyone all the time anymore.

Militant atheism was a thing in Revolutionary France or the Soviet Union though, when Christians were targeted for their beliefs, so it definitely does exist.

You can be aggressive without literally shooting priests in the face.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Discendo Vox posted:

I agree that new atheism is pretty terrible, but they've been successful, in part due to their prominent internet presence, in convincing a lot of people that atheism is a form of I'm-just-asking-questions agnosticism. This is frustrating to other theists, atheists and agnostics, because it has the effect of confusing and politicizing the terms of the discussion around religion. This has made it harder for people trying to find common ground in these areas to communicate when there are actual things at stake. In other words, new atheism being new atheism.

Why is it that people that a quick to talk about "new atheism" so often don't know what the words they're using actually mean? First, you're wrong to say that atheists and agnostics are necessarily mutually exclusive groups. A/theism and a/gnosticism answer two completely separate questions; what you believe and what you know. So someone can be a Gnostic Atheist, Agnostic Atheist, Gnostic Theist, and Agnostic Atheist. So someone claiming to be an agnostic is almost universally an atheist, but because of the social stigma of calling oneself an atheist (mostly the fear of being thought of as a smug douchebag) they don't like to use that label.

When you're talking about "New Atheists" you're talking about Gnostic Atheists, which are hardly new. Gnostic Atheism has been around for just as long as Gnostic Theism has, they just simply have never had as much of a voice as they do in today's society. But these are not complex terms and these definitions have been around as long as the words themselves have. To say that people are muddying the waters or whatever bullshit you're going on about shows that you're woefully under informed about it.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

seiferguy posted:

Alternatively: why can't people tolerate me saying hateful poo poo :qq:

I love this one because the only comment you would ever need to make is just "by*"

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Discendo Vox posted:

It's a separate set of theological and philosophical viewpoints with historical roots that go back, at least in Europe, about 250 years. I'd recommend looking into it before summarizing it this way.

I've never heard anyone use it except in that way, so if there's more to it I'd love to see... Got anywhere useful to point me to?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

VideoTapir posted:

Which ones are those?

All the other ones :argh:

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Choadmaster posted:

Boy, I'd like to be able to sum up a theological stance going back hundreds of years in a pithy manner while completely missing the point like you. :allears:

I believe agnosticism also means that you believe there is a god, or a higher power, but you do not worship or in any way attempt to please said being. The reasons could vary. "It's not a god, it's just another being and it happened to create us, but it's not 'divine'." "The greater being set the world spinning and then just sort of left and doesn't give a gently caress so why should I?" "I believe there is a god, but I think it's an evil being so I don't worship it."

Ironically, one of the best arguments for Agnosticism I've ever seen was in a young adult's book about religion. I can't remember the name of the book, it was part of a series. But the theory proposed to the characters went thus: "What if there existed before us, a 2D plane of existence. We could interact with it, but the creatures living on this 2D plane, do not understand. Say one of these creatures, with no understanding of 'up' or 'down', had a rock roll in front of their house. We were watching and saw they were upset, so we picked the rock up and moved it. To the creatures on the plane, the rock vanished, and reappeared in the distance. They would have no explanation for this that they could understand or comprehend. So it'd be a miracle to them."

The implication there was that clearly, god was some greater other dimensional being that was capable of doing such things, and we were stuck on this stupid third dimension while he was in some sort of glorious other dimension where we just couldn't see it.

At first, I thought this was a cool idea on how god did his 'miracles'. . .but the more I thought about it, the more I realized then that if that was true, god wasn't 'divine', it was just. . .someone else in another dimension loving with us. It didn't explain heaven, it didn't explain the idea of hell, it didn't even explain the idea that god is 'love' or forgiveness or if he even wanted us to do what was in the bible.

Choadmaster posted:

I've never heard anyone use it except in that way, so if there's more to it I'd love to see... Got anywhere useful to point me to?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

VideoTapir posted:

Which ones are those?

The known hellhole of Sweden :smug:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

VideoTapir posted:

There are a bunch of "atheists" who are just rebelling; they're the ones who convert back and become "ex-atheists."

And then they ascribe that same mentality to literally anyone else who doesn't believe in God/their exact version of the Christian God for the same reason as the universal law discussion about anti-science views earlier. It was true for me so therefore anyone else calling themselves an atheist has to have the same motivations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Choadmaster posted:

Anything prior to the rise of new atheism, or most academic work in theology or philosophy on the subject. The distinction set Who What Now is advocating exists, but that's not the problem of how the terms are exploited in new atheist discourse. The problem is that new atheism shifts between gnostic and agnostic positions depending on their rhetorical strength. Notice, for example, that there isn't a "gnostic atheism" page, but that it instead redirects to "negative and positive atheism", which doesn't have any links going back to agnostic atheism. The section on Richard Dawkins there is informative:

"Under this positive/negative classification, some agnostics would qualify as negative atheists. The validity of this categorization is disputed, however, and a few prominent atheists such as Richard Dawkins avoid it. In The God Delusion, Dawkins describes people for whom the probability of the existence of God is between "very high" and "very low" as "agnostic" and reserves the term "strong atheist" for those who claim to know there is no God. He categorizes himself as a "de facto atheist" but not a "strong atheist" on this scale."

Contrast this with other statements by Dawkins. The strong/weak distinction, which is a lot younger, allows for very rhetorically useful position selection.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 21, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

You can be aggressive without literally shooting priests in the face.

Yeah but mocking Christians on the internet doesn't qualify even if a Christian does go seek out r/atheism to get all offended that people don't respect Jesus like he thinks they should.

What's funny is that Christians can say atheists deserve to burn for eternity for their evil ways and no one calls that militant because that's just expressing a belief, but if you laugh about talking animals then oh god save us all from militant atheists!

Call out atheists who are dickbags to believers for being rude all you want, but unless they're advocating actual violence then they're not militant. Why accept a term invented to foster a false sense of persecution among people who are butthurt that they only get to run most of society and not all of it?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

E-Tank posted:

Ironically, one of the best arguments for Agnosticism I've ever seen was in a young adult's book about religion. I can't remember the name of the book, it was part of a series. But the theory proposed to the characters went thus: "What if there existed before us, a 2D plane of existence. We could interact with it, but the creatures living on this 2D plane, do not understand. Say one of these creatures, with no understanding of 'up' or 'down', had a rock roll in front of their house. We were watching and saw they were upset, so we picked the rock up and moved it. To the creatures on the plane, the rock vanished, and reappeared in the distance. They would have no explanation for this that they could understand or comprehend. So it'd be a miracle to them."

That's just Flatland.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nevvy Z posted:

That's just Flatland.
Flatland is pretty awesome though.

e: The parts where they go down to the lower dimensional worlds, and the four spatial dimensions stuff. The class and gender things are very strange.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 21, 2014

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Discendo Vox posted:

Anything prior to the rise of new atheism, or most academic work in theology or philosophy on the subject. The distinction set Who What Now is advocating exists, but that's not the problem of how the terms are exploited in new atheist discourse. The problem is that new atheism shifts between gnostic and agnostic positions depending on their rhetorical strength. Notice, for example, that there isn't a "gnostic atheism" page, but that it instead redirects to "negative and positive atheism", which doesn't have any links going back to agnostic atheism. The section on Richard Dawkins there is informative:

"Under this positive/negative classification, some agnostics would qualify as negative atheists. The validity of this categorization is disputed, however, and a few prominent atheists such as Richard Dawkins avoid it. In The God Delusion, Dawkins describes people for whom the probability of the existence of God is between "very high" and "very low" as "agnostic" and reserves the term "strong atheist" for those who claim to know there is no God. He categorizes himself as a "de facto atheist" but not a "strong atheist" on this scale."

Contrast this with other statements by Dawkins. The strong/weak distinction, which is a lot younger, allows for very rhetorically useful position selection.

Trying to frame the "shifting between strong and weak atheism" as intellectually dishonest or merely a rhetorical tactic is itself dishonest. Theism is not some monolithic thing, it's an immensely broad range of beliefs and values, each of which needs to be addressed and answered on it's own. For example, I am a gnostic/strong/positive atheist when it comes to Gods like Thor, Zeus, Cthulu, and certain descriptions of the Abrahamic God. But I'm an agnostic/weak/negative atheist on claims of some sort of vague "God is the creator" or Deistic god claims. This isn't a rhetorical tactic, it's being honest about one's beliefs.

Also, no one cares what Dick Dorkins says. He is not the atheist prophet. He's an increasingly irrelevant public figure grasping futilely for any shred of relevance he can get anymore.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Who What Now posted:

Trying to frame the "shifting between strong and weak atheism" as intellectually dishonest or merely a rhetorical tactic is itself dishonest. Theism is not some monolithic thing, it's an immensely broad range of beliefs and values, each of which needs to be addressed and answered on it's own. For example, I am a gnostic/strong/positive atheist when it comes to Gods like Thor, Zeus, Cthulu, and certain descriptions of the Abrahamic God. But I'm an agnostic/weak/negative atheist on claims of some sort of vague "God is the creator" or Deistic god claims. This isn't a rhetorical tactic, it's being honest about one's beliefs.

Also, no one cares what Dick Dorkins says. He is not the atheist prophet. He's an increasingly irrelevant public figure grasping futilely for any shred of relevance he can get anymore.

It really seems like you've built up a mental image of my position that isn't what it is. It might be productive to go back and reread this chain of discussion.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's like Who What Now and Discendo Vox are stuck in an elevator at an atheist conference or something.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I never understood why people were so insistent on coming up with a universal set of adjectives to describe the spiritual positions of every single person on the planet. I mean, who gives a poo poo if someone who doesn't believe in gods calls themselves agnostic as opposed to atheist? Are you really going to grill someone on whether they're referring to knowledge of god or belief in god when they describe their spiritual belief as "agnostic"? :shrug:

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's like Who What Now and Discendo Vox are stuck in an elevator at an atheist conference or something.

I hope neither of them is a woman because things could get really uncomfortable :ohdear:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

BBJoey posted:

I never understood why people were so insistent on coming up with a universal set of adjectives to describe the spiritual positions of every single person on the planet. I mean, who gives a poo poo if someone who doesn't believe in gods calls themselves agnostic as opposed to atheist? Are you really going to grill someone on whether they're referring to knowledge of god or belief in god when they describe their spiritual belief as "agnostic"? :shrug:

Considering the type of people who argue about it on the internet, the answer is yes, repeatedly.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
I had a great conversation last Friday with a Jehova's Witness couple who wanted to convert me. They took it well in stride when I told them that I actively disagree with all religious/supernatural ideas, and we had a very interesting discussion about the bible.
This thread is worse than that conversation. Post some loving email forwards you jackasses.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

I am not a book posted:

This thread is worse than that conversation. Post some loving email forwards you jackasses.

Ask and Ye Shall Receive:

Facebook:

[ GIANT RED TEXT]
Cheerleaders Defy School Ban on Prayer During ACLU-Enforced ‘Moment of Silence’
[/GIANT RED TEXT]

quote:

When a Tennessee school district decided to ban prayer, cheerleaders at the school defied that decision. Now many Americans are thrilled by how they – and the crowd at the game, responded.

The prayer ban was enforced after the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF) — which have never objected to ANY Muslim public prayers in their combined histories — wrote the Oneida Special School District a threatening letter complaining about school-sanctioned prayers over the loud-speaker at football games.

E-mail 1

quote:

The Hug of the Century
PUBLISHED: JULY 14, 2014
A woman found a badly injured lion in the forest. She took it with her and nursed it back to health. When it was better, she made arrangements with a zoo to take the lion and give it a new and happy home. This video was taken when she returned to the zoo some time later to see how her lion was doing. Watch the lion's amazing reaction when he sees her!

http://www.vitality101.com/Fun/lion-kisses-rescuer

For some reason that was accompanied by this:

E-mail 2: Old one I have seen in here before I think, but nevertheless:

quote:

NOW SHE IS A TEACHER!!!

In September of 2005, on the first day of school, Martha Cothren, a History teacher at Robinson High School in Little Rock , did something not to be forgotten.
On the first day of school, with the permission of the school superintendent, the principal and the building supervisor, she removed all of the desks in her classroom. When the first period kids entered the room they discovered that there were no desks.
'Ms. Cothren, where are our desks?'

She replied, 'You can't have a desk until you tell me how you earn the right to sit at a desk.'
They thought, 'Well, maybe it's our grades.' 'No,' she said.
'Maybe it's our behavior.' She told them, 'No, it's not even your behavior.'

And so, they came and went, the first period, second period, third period. Still no desks in the classroom. Kids called their parents to tell them what was happening and by early afternoon television news crews had started gathering at the school to report about this crazy teacher who had taken all the desks out of her room.

The final period of the day came and as the puzzled students found seats on the floor of the desk-less classroom. Martha Cothren said, 'Throughout the day no one has been able to tell me just what he or she has done to earn the right to sit at the desks that are ordinarily found in this classroom. Now I am going to tell you.'

At this point, Martha Cothren went over to the door of her classroom and opened it. Twenty-seven (27) U.S. Veterans, all in uniform, walked into that classroom, each one carrying a school desk. The Vets began placing the school desks in rows, and then they would walk over and stand alongside the wall. By the time the last soldier had set the final desk in place those kids started to understand, perhaps for the first time in their lives, just how the right to sit at those desks had been earned.

Martha said, 'You didn't earn the right to sit at these desks. These heroes did it for you. They placed the desks here for you. They went halfway around the world, giving up their education and interrupting their careers and families so you could have the freedom you have. Now, it's up to you to sit in them. It is your responsibility to learn, to be good students, to be good citizens. They paid the price so that you could have the freedom to get an education. Don't ever forget it.'

By the way, this is a true story. And this teacher was awarded the Veterans of Foreign Wars Teacher of the Year for the State of Arkansas in 2006. She is the daughter of a WWII POW.

Do you think this email is worth passing along so others won't forget either, that the freedoms we have in this great country were earned by our U.S. Veterans? ................... I did.

Let us always remember the men and women of our military and the rights they have won for us.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

Capt. Sticl posted:

Ask and Ye Shall Receive:
E-mail 2: Old one I have seen in here before I think, but nevertheless:

Ahhhh yeah that's the good stuff. Like Heroin. Every time I read that I mentally substitute "union workers" for "soldiers".

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

BBJoey posted:

People like to put things into nice neat little categories because having things in neat categories makes processing information about them easier. People like their categories so much that they are willing to just cram as much of a thing into the category as will fit and then just ignore or cut off the bits that don't fit while claiming that their category is all-inclusive.

As a result, many people invest far too much effort into trying to come up with a universal categorization for things that are important to them; a favorite is to categorize people who disagree with you as 'wrong' and 'possibly evil'

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hey, you know what's fun? Having a gun argument with someone you thought was a decent friend on facebook who's defending some students' desire to have Concealed Carry on a college campus by doing the usual poo poo of "GUN OWNERS ARE VIRTUOUS AND OMNISCIENT AND NEVER MAKE BAD DECISIONS OR MISUSE THEIR WEAPONS OR MISS," and then near the end of the argument goes "Well if this passes I wonder if you'll hold the same opinion when you're sharing a classroom with a Concealed Carrier. :smug:"

gently caress. That. I had no idea that particular person was such an insufferable loving shitheel, to build his entire drat argument around the inherent virtue and wisdom of the gun holder, and then end the argument by destroying all of that and throwing down a petty loving "Say that to my gun" threat - and simultaneously implying that I'm a craven loving coward - like I guess he must be. The sheer insufferable gall of it, I just aaaaaaaaaa :rant:

gently caress facebook politics.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

You've almost directly got your response there. Ask them if they're implying that the threat the concealed carrier holds should change your mind, and which direction it should change it in.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Facebook politics are the worst; I severed from a person I thought was a good guy after, in an argument about affirmative action, he tried using Nicki Minaj tweets about "white shaming" in predominantly black high schools to justify just scrapping AA and saying "black people just need to improve their CULTURE" after I said "hey you know those comment are pretty racist".

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

You've almost directly got your response there. Ask them if they're implying that the threat the concealed carrier holds should change your mind, and which direction it should change it in.

I did. Thanked him for the poorly veiled threat and told him what a good case he was making for why I should feel safe surrounded by reasonable gun-owners. Left him too much room to say "Well why did you think I was making a threat, you anti-gun people sure are bound by emotion unlike us rational gun owners :smug:" (he'd been harping on how 'emotional' proponents of gun control are all day) in hindsight, but gently caress him. I assume he's smart enough to understand his own drat implications. He hasn't gotten back to me and I unfollowed the post in question because, seriously, gently caress him.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Spiritus Nox posted:

gently caress. That. I had no idea that particular person was such an insufferable loving shitheel, to build his entire drat argument around the inherent virtue and wisdom of the gun holder, and then end the argument by destroying all of that and throwing down a petty loving "Say that to my gun" threat - and simultaneously implying that I'm a craven loving coward - like I guess he must be. The sheer insufferable gall of it, I just aaaaaaaaaa :rant:

gently caress facebook politics.

But wait, I thought guns didn't kill people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

VideoTapir posted:

But wait, I thought guns didn't kill people.

Yeah, people kill people, like the person with a gun who is apparently supposed to make me reconsider my stance on firearms in public places

...Wait a sec, that person sounds kinda lovely

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 22, 2014