Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Popular Thug Drink posted:

You don't have to be friends with someone on Facebook to be friends with them in real life.

There's also just a lot of random rear end people from high school and people you met one time at a bar that literally cost nothing in terms of personal relationships to toss off your drat friends list. I don't need to see jokes about food stamps hidden under work boots from people I barely know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

I've had a long day of reading about people equating blackness with crime as if there's some kind of kind of genetic link between the two, so when Urkel gets brought up and I actually found a macro related to it, I thought it was funny the way it was worded.

Obviously, in the sitcom world, Urkel burning a place down is funny. In respect to Ferguson, it's like it was in his genes to destroy property and rape women.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Randandal posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you people?

Come on, guys. Why don't you just provide tacit approval of systematic and targeted racism?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Hey another good way to avoid racist image macros is to just stay off reddit entirely. Really it's just good advice in general.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Randandal posted:

I appreciate the compliment, though my interpretation of "in the middle" is more along these lines and is usually both coherent and concrete:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIYoyvW3J9Q

Yo you're pretty bad and you've got some lovely opinions.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Faustian Bargain posted:

Help me. I think both of these are awful so I'm sure I'm misreading it.

The point is that the heuristic "The Truth Is In The Middle" fails when you present two positions that are on the same side but to different degrees.
It's not necessarily a bad rule of thumb, but it's no match for more rigorous analysis.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

seiferguy posted:

Here, have a Ferguson meme dump, since I suffered through it you get to suffer it too!

What's wrong with this one? Looting is bad.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Tagichatn posted:

She owns a bakery and they broke her front window.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/25/smallbusiness/ferguson-looting-businesses/

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Cat Face Joe posted:

Hey another good way to avoid racist image macros is to just stay off reddit entirely. Really it's just good advice in general.

Reddit is 1000% more insufferable today than it usually is. Oh god, the number of "Blaming race is an excuse, he chose to be a hulked out Negroidzilla stoned out on the devil weed. Black people just need to get with it." posts is amazing. Those fuckers are channeling Jim Crow so hard.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tagichatn posted:

It's mainly just obnoxious that some goofy reddit nerd made a "Looting is Bad" macro. Watch out for mr. dangerous opinions here, next he's going to obnoxiously lecture people about crossing the street at the appropriately marked crossing wooooaahhhh

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I wasn't calling those I removed bigots for agreeing with the grand jury, I was calling them bigots because they called all black people thugs among other things. :shrug:

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Tagichatn posted:

The picture itself might not be bad, but it's being used a lot to tar all protestors as dangerous urbal feral looters destroying their own community!!!

At the same time, we have this posts on the front page of Imgur explicitly calling out the racial element at play in that categorization.

http://imgur.com/gallery/rYd72

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Randandal posted:

:spergin: :synpa:

me how hiding bigots from your feed is intolerant and also how delivering pizzas taught me to hate the cheap, thieving Negro

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

me how hiding bigots from your feed is intolerant and also how delivering pizzas taught me to hate the cheap, thieving Negro

Holy Hell.

First off when the guy says "No Tips"? He's getting a 1.50 regardless a trip. At least that's how it works where I work.

2nd off? Cheap Tippers come in all colors, economic backgrounds, sexes, etc. As do...People who surprise you with a lot of money. I've been stiffed by people with Lexuses in their garages, and I've been given a nice tip by the poorest trailer dweller I've seen. (awesome guy. god bless him)

Just depends on the person.

Also, yeah it's taught me to always tip people well because you really make someone's day by giving them a nice tip. (3+ dollars will put a person over the moon).

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Three bucks is a lot for a pizza tip? I usually tip around five. (My usual order is around 25 bucks. I round to 30.)

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Faustian Bargain posted:

Help me. I think both of these are awful so I'm sure I'm misreading it.

I think Kajeesus meant "pay no less than" but made a typo.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Master Twig posted:

Three bucks is a lot for a pizza tip? I usually tip around five. (My usual order is around 25 bucks. I round to 30.)

2 is lowest, 3 is average.

5 is good.

10 is great.

20? You're a god. lol.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Believing black people don't tip is a self fulfilling prophecy because then you provide lovely service.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Blacks: literally ISIS.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Believing black people don't tip is a self fulfilling prophecy because then you provide lovely service.

See? No tip. I knew that would happen, that's why I didn't do a good job :chord:

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
God willing, he will have his reckoning when the black flag of the Caliphate flies over the St. Louis metro area.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Randandal posted:

You guys actually unfriend people and continue not talking to siblings due to the benign poo poo posted on this page? What the hell, do you actually have friends or is Facebook just your political debate echo chamber for when D&D isn't insular enough?

Hmm I suspect that my friend who posted that on her Facebook page did so because she is not white and doesn't want to hear about how blacks are thugs and are always playing the race card. I guess that just makes her intolerant in your view though.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Randandal posted:

:spergin: :synpa:

I wasn't even the one who did the blocking. I've only ever unfriended one person and I did that because he was literally posting genocide apologia. I just argue good opinions until people get mad enough to run away. Totally different.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

:sigh:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

'In the words of MLKJ posted:

I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers. First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

Aw who am I kidding, the guy who made that macro probably also thinks MLK would be a Republican today.

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!
Today on Matt Walsh is a Shitbag...

He also has a write up on his blog, but I don't have it in me to read all of it after taking in a few excerpts.

edit, one more:

"If you blacks could PLEASE act like adults and not inconvenience me with your struggle for equality(ie not getting randomly shot by police) that would be GREAT"

hamster_style fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 26, 2014

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Its really interesting how all the modern high school education on MLK and Ghandi ignores that neither of them repudiated the violent factions of their respective movements (assuming those violent factions are even mentioned to begin with). So we've created this false idea that the oppressor will eventually deign to descend down to the carrot the non violent are offering, rather than the reality that the oppressor realizes the carrot is better than continuing to get their rear end whipped by the stick.

hamster_style posted:

Today on Matt Walsh is a Shitbag...

He also has a write up on his blog, but I don't have it in me to read all of it after taking in a few excerpts.

"Let me tell you now, unequivocally, without any hesitation, that if I was shot in Boston by a British soldier, my parents would mourn, they would cry, they would pray for my salvation, but they would not go out and tell people to rebel against the king and try to form a new country.

So no, inciting a revolution is not an appropriate response. Its not legal. And it should not be tolerated."

1stGear fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 26, 2014

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

1stGear posted:

Its really interesting how all the modern high school education on MLK and Ghandi ignores that neither of them repudiated the violent factions of their respective movements (assuming those violent factions are even mentioned to begin with). So we've created this false idea that the oppressor will eventually deign to descend down to the carrot the non violent are offering, rather than the reality that the oppressor realizes the carrot is better than continuing to get their rear end whipped by the stick.

It's hard to see it as accidental that the versions of MLK, Gandhi, and Mandela bandied about in the public discourse are the Disney-fied versions that just also happen to be feel far less threatening to people in power.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

ErIog posted:

It's hard to see it as accidental that the versions of MLK, Gandhi, and Mandela bandied about in the public discourse are the Disney-fied versions that just also happen to be feel far less threatening to people in power.

They also have a habit of being identified with the present government or system rather than as opponents of them.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Black people riot over pretty much a lynching of an unarmed black teen.

White people riot because the Vancouver Canucks lost the Stanley Cup Finals.

gently caress anyone who tries to argue white people are incapable of acting like 'savages' over stupid poo poo. White people riot over loving sports and we're to believe the Ferguson rioters are in the wrong when a member of their community is murdered?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

You don't even have to go back that far to find white people rioting and the US media not giving a gently caress because they're white:
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/oct/22/new-hampshire-keene-pumpkin-riots-police-militarisation

Why hasn't Bill O'Reilly or Rush Limbaugh condemned this kind of violence in the white community? What is it about the white community that makes them believe this kind of behavior is okay? I am disgusted, and I firmly believe there must be some kind of cultural problem with whites in this country.That being, they are racist.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 26, 2014

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

ErIog posted:

Why hasn't Bill O'Reilly or Rush Limbaugh condemned this kind of violence in the white community? What is it about the white community that makes them believe this kind of behavior is okay? I am disgusted, and I firmly believe there must be some kind of cultural problem with whites in this country.That being, they are racist.

Every time I hear someone denigrate the black community for not fixing itself, I just look at https://twitter.com/_floridaman.

RavenKrows
May 29, 2008

Poizen Jam posted:

Black people riot over pretty much a lynching of an unarmed black teen.

White people riot because the Vancouver Canucks lost the Stanley Cup Finals.

gently caress anyone who tries to argue white people are incapable of acting like 'savages' over stupid poo poo. White people riot over loving sports and we're to believe the Ferguson rioters are in the wrong when a member of their community is murdered?

Well no you're just wrong when you say he was murdered, that's all.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
If I started unfriending every single person on Facebook who openly expressed racist views, I would lose many of my Israeli friends. :smith:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

1stGear posted:

?

"Violence as a way of achieving racial justice is both impractical and immoral. I am not unmindful of the fact that violence often brings about momentary results. Nations have frequently won their independence in battle. But in spite of temporary victories, violence never brings permanent peace. It solves no social problem: it merely creates new and more complicated ones. Violence is impractical because it is a descending spiral ending in destruction for all. It is immoral because it seeks to humiliate the opponent rather than win his understanding: it seeks to annihilate rather than convert. Violence is immoral because it thrives on hatred rather than love. It destroys community and makes brotherhood impossible. It leaves society in monologue rather than dialogue. Violence ends up defeating itself. It creates bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers."

That's MLK's Nobel lecture.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If I started unfriending every single person on Facebook who openly expressed racist views, I would lose many of my Israeli friends. :smith:

And that's a bad thing?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If I started unfriending every single person on Facebook who openly expressed racist views, I would lose many of my racist friends. :smith:

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

RavenKrows posted:

Well no you're just wrong when you say he was murdered, that's all.

Sorry, allegedly murdered. God forbid I let a bit of bias slip. I mean I hope you can see why it's incredibly frustrating the grand jury decided the incident wasn't worth a full court case/investigation. Unless I really misunderstand American law here, which is possible, I don't think an indictment is a guilty verdict; saying there's no probable cause at all is just bullshit.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Poizen Jam posted:

Sorry, allegedly murdered. God forbid I let a bit of bias slip. I mean I hope you can see why it's incredibly frustrating the grand jury decided the incident wasn't worth a full court case/investigation. Unless I really misunderstand American law here, which is possible, I don't think an indictment is a guilty verdict; saying there's no probable cause at all is just bullshit.

Murder is such a strong word and Darren Wilson is not a strong man, so please be gentle :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Poizen Jam posted:

You are correct. An indictment just means that they would have gone to trial.